• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

strafer

Yea wonder what happened there, and where's the ground textures!

AcDJl.png

WnsMP.png

What the fuck?

I want to believe that this is just an older version, and that Konami delayed it to fix those problems.

However, based on all the official screenshots and videos this seems is unlikely.

pringles

Get the PS2 version instead, and play it on a PS2 or via PC emulation.
If I had a PS2 I would have played it a LONG time ago. As it were, I never had one, and I'm not about to buy one now.

I have contrast settings on my TV so that won't keep me from these versions. Also, never having played the PS2 games I won't be able to tell any differences.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
If I had a PS2 I would have played it a LONG time ago. As it were, I never had one, and I'm not about to buy one now.

I have contrast settings on my TV so that won't keep me from these versions. Also, never having played the PS2 games I won't be able to tell any differences.

Ah. No dice for PC emulation either? If it's your first time playing SH 2 and 3, the HD Collection will be sufficient, but ideally you should be playing the best versions of those two games.

pringles

Ah. No dice for PC emulation either? If it's your first time playing SH 2 and 3, the HD Collection will be sufficient, but ideally you should be playing the best versions of those two games.
Nah. It's obviously a shame if these versions are inferior, but if the inferiority is limited to saturation, contrast and a bit of missing fog somewhere, I can deal.

I'm starting to question if I did play the original PS2 versions. There was always something a bit iffy about how good they looked, especially compared to the subsequent games in the series.

Could it be the PS2 versions were really the remakes of the HD collection? If so, how did this come about? WHAT IS GOING ON!

9d74c01fcbbaaf742cc1f05cfb61c6115bb5af52.jpg

pa22word

Nah. It's obviously a shame if these versions are inferior, but if the inferiority is limited to saturation, contrast and a bit of missing fog somewhere, I can deal.

I'm sorry man, but I don't think anyone here can recommend a Silent Hill game with bad lighting/fog effects. Those two elements define the series and really go along way to set the mood in the games.

as, likely, can i, but it still all goes to show that Konami don't give a shit about the originals and are just trying to milk the Silent Hill cow for whatever money the poor thing has left.

Silent hill is all about atmosphere, they have kind of trashed the look and feel of it here. I hope you enjoy them but... I really wish people wouldn't be introduced to such fantastic games in such a shit package, what you are mentioning is really important to the games.

But it isn't. It looks like it's missing a lot of lighting and fog effects, if not all of them, it's missing the original cast, it's missing textures... really, the best you can do is play them on PC or PS2+CRT.

Oh my god. I am staying as far away from these as possible.

This would've been a day 1 purchase for me as Silent Hill 2 is my favorite game of all time.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
But it isn't. It looks like it's missing a lot of lighting and fog effects, if not all of them, it's missing the original cast, it's missing textures... really, the best you can do is play them on PC or PS2+CRT.

The PC version of SH2 had some missing effects IIRC, and the controls were clunky as all fuck since vanilla SH2 PC didn't even support mouse (although I think there might be an unofficial patch for that). SH3 PC was overall good though, and looks absolutely insane when you crank up all effects and resolution to max. My gaming PC (quad-core Phenom II X4, 8 GB DDR2 RAM and Radeon HD 5770) struggled to run SH3 with all bells and whistles on. That said, I think the PS2 version of SH3 was also considered the best version.

jimi_dini

How did this happen?

They "cleaned" it up lol
And I was unhappy because sun&moon are missing in Jak & Daxter, lol.

VQR6W.gif

I don't want to know what they did to oldman.gif

And anyone still buying consider this: your behaviour is telling them - removing textures, fog, voice actors, etc. is fine with us. Please do it again.

pringles

Looks like Silent Hill 2 atleast has the original cast, which is the main game I'm interested in anyway.

I'll just have to put on some dirty glasses and crank my tv's contrast and saturation to 100 to make up for it's other shortcomings ;-)

Lime

lol Silent Hill 3's colour scheme is so massively important in its theme and emotions, that the HD collection is almost unplayable. Losing the red and yellow colours are probably more damaging to the experience than losing the voice actors.

The PC version of SH2 had some missing effects IIRC, and the controls were clunky as all fuck since vanilla SH2 PC didn't even support mouse (although I think there might be an unofficial patch for that). SH3 PC was overall good though, and looks absolutely insane when you crank up all effects and resolution to max. My gaming PC (quad-core Phenom II X4, 8 GB DDR2 RAM and Radeon HD 5770) struggled to run SH3 with all bells and whistles on. That said, I think the PS2 version of SH3 was also considered the best version.

Yes, indeed, the PC ports weren't perfect even if they bumped up the texture resolution. As you say, SH3 even has some performance issues with certain configurations, and the framerate on cutscenes does weird things. But at the end of the day both look fantastic on PC (I played them first on PS2 and then on PC), the missing things aren't too noticeable at first sight and they are playable without much hassle. Controls are rough but I don't think that will change in the HD Collection :p

I'm not saying that you pringles absolutely shouldn't play them like this, just that... well it won't be the same. If you can ever give them a try on PC after you play the HD Collection, please do so. I think there's even a PC demo for SH3.

Mr_Zombie

Audίoboxer;35736088 said:
Konami and Capcom (I know unrelated, but when I whine about Konami, I like to add in Capcom as well), worst devs this generation.

Whoa there. Capcom at least upgraded graphics in RECV, not downgraded it.

I like how in the original SH3 (PS2 and PC version) everything that isn't lighten up by flashlight is literally black, you can't see shit.
Here, it's just slightly darker. Way to ruin atmosphere :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.

UrbanRats

Lol, tell me that video is bad capture.
Also, why in the hell are the FMV (SH2) stretched horizontally?! I get that the new aspect ratio is wider, but just put black bands on the sides, ffs, don't stretch the image!

NIGHT-

canceling my preorder.. My god, the Silent hill series keeps getting butchered..... Just leave it alone at this point.

yeah. it's the colours that bother me the most. in those Lakeside comparison shots, it's not just that they replaced the texture on the ground, it's that they replaced it with unrusted metal. they've totally fumbled the mood of that scene. how can Konami not realise how important the colour palettes of SH2 and SH3 are?

they signify the shifts to the dark world, but they also tell us about the dark world. SH3 having a rust coloured dark world, told us that the cult were back trying to raise their god once more. SH2's green moldy dark world told us that it was about decay of flesh.

these aren't just about mood or tone, the appearance of the dark world is an important part of the story.

edit: changed Lakeside to Riverside. Riverside used to be the name of my local themepark.

well that's that. The HD versions look cleaner, but lose everything in the process. No contrast, no colour matching, no filters, nothing. They look amateurish, sterile, and like one of those ghastly High Res texture mods for emulators... which essentially it seems to be anyway.

I also just remembered how fugly SH2s outdoor environments were.

Guess that's that then, rather play both games on a PS2 emulator than these turds here.

I don't think so man, there are just far too many variables that you have to consider. You don't even know your stats until you beat the game. The boat ride sequence, the killing 150 monsters one, the 500 pts of damage maximum. Still pretty effing hard I'd say.
Boat ride is only difficult because the controls are weird. : P
If you've played it through multiple times in a row, you'll be on top of your game, however. It helps a lot not taking a break between getting endings. (I mean like several days or more)
No. It's not.
The requirements for 10 star rank (which is required for getting the green hyper spray) is:
I know. : )
The majority of that stuff is easy if you just play all the endings consecutively, because you get a very strong grasp of where items and enemies will be. The only difficult part, in my opinion, is the part where you have to kill the enemies outside. There's a guide video I used when I did it that really helped with the best way of handling it.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.
I'd really like to say the same, but sheesh. I'd tried to be hopeful up to this point, since Konami does a bad enough job in representing their games, but some of that is near unbelievable.

eggerland

This reminds me of the last Godfather Trilogy DVD Edition, with Storaro playing with the colors, just because.

Also, the recent Matrix 'Hey look, everything is greener and better, honestly!!'

What a mess, Konami.

well that's that. The HD versions look cleaner, but lose everything in the process. No contrast, no colour matching, no filters, nothing. They look amateurish, sterile, and like one of those ghastly High Res texture mods for emulators... which essentially it seems to be anyway.

I also just remembered how fugly SH2s outdoor environments were.

Guess that's that then, rather play both games on a PS2 emulator than these turds here.

Yeah, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt when the first pics came out with the lost alpha effects but this is garbage. Amateurish as you said. The contrast and color matching in the SH3 videos is unforgiving. Who approved that?!

pa22word

IGN got a comparison up.

Man how can they charge money for this?! Btw, the video is from GS not IGN fyi

SH2 looks ok but I don't like the stretched cutscenes.
SH3 on the other hand looks more washed out.

They both look washed out, but SH3 looks like it lost every graphical effect in the game from the noise filter to the fog to the post processing filter. Just totally butchered it...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
IIRC, the one who ported these aren't the ones who ported MGS, Ico, etc. but they're a mobile phone app developing company.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I think I can see what's going on with that comparison.

1) I do think the PS2 footage color balance is a bit off as the game isn't actually THAT contrasty in person.

2) That said, there is still a pretty clear difference I'm positive that it was made for a very simple reason: a lot of people are using LCD TVs.

Both games, as they appear on PS2, have large portions of the screen filled completely with blackness. With the HD footage (especially obvious with the SH3 footage) you can see that much more of the scene is visible.

The simple reason for this, I believe, is that empty black space looks absolutely atrocious on most LCDs. These games were designed for CRT TVs, which could actually handle those black areas and display them as truly black. Those same areas on an LCD, however, simply reveal the shining gray backlight pushing through. Rather than darkness, you see the backlight. I believe they were compensating for this by display details that were originally obscured by darkness in the original release.

It is for this reason that I always believed this collection to be a fools errand. Most modern TVs simply can't handle Silent Hill the way it was meant to be experienced.

You can clearly see what I'm talking about here. Notice how much darker the PS2 footage is? Most of the image is bathed in darkness while the HD footage allows you to see the details surrounding you. By revealing the shadow detail you've created a more "LCD friendly" image. Unfortunately, this destroys any accuracy you may have been aiming for.

a87x4i.gif

The fact remains, if you want to play these games properly you need a high quality standard definition CRT and the PS2 versions hooked up to a nice stereo setup.

Top Bottom