• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Ahasverus

I'm not Gaga over this one, but after the excellent Downpour I'm all in SH mood, also, gotta support the series, it needs another chance.

Teknoman

EDIT: Actually that really doesnt seem to help, since the shots at Konami's site still have the iron floor texture as well.

I havent visited Gamefaqs boards in awhile...but after checking the PS3 HD collection boards:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-silent-hill-hd-collection/62274335?page=2

j4znNzNGYy4QI.jpg

Rehosted since he had it uploaded to imageshack.

That looks like someone took a picture of their TV screen with a camera.

Teknoman

That looks like someone took a picture of their TV screen with a camera.

GameFAQS!

J9xCm.png

Yeah, the guy just took a picture of his screen with a cell phone. It really didnt help either way, and for some reason I thought the iron floor texture was completely different in the released HD collection shots. Just took it down...and after looking at some of the posts, i'll probably just use that place for guides and nothing more. Forgot how insane Gamefaqs can get.

Which game are you all going to play first? I'll probably start with Silent Hill 3 as I've been in the mood for it and I really need to see if it's as bad as those videos.

I wonder if they removed the t-shirt password feature from Silent Hill 3? The promo shirts would likely be cut, but I see no reason to remove the SH3 designs.

Yuripaw

Banned
I can't decide if I want to get this game, or Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. I feel like I would actually play RE: ORC sooner, but I've always wanted to complete SH3, and never got around to it.

Cudder

Which game are you all going to play first? I'll probably start with Silent Hill 3 as I've been in the mood for it and I really need to see if it's as bad as those videos.

Firstly, I'm gonna platinum Downpour before touching the Collection. I'll do SH2 with the new voices first. I might even plat SH2 before moving on to SH3.

Despite the changes, I'm really looking forward to the collection.

Same, I've played these games through countless times so it's not like these are going to suddenly ruin or destroy over 10 years worth of memories.

maybe they should have called this "Shattered Memories"

Levito

Banned
Same, I've played these games through countless times so it's not like these are going to suddenly ruin or destroy over 10 years worth of memories.

maybe they should have called this "Shattered Memories"

Yeah SH2 specifically is one of my favorite video games of all time, a little increased gamma isn't going to ruin it for me.

Although I REALLY wish the studio that did the ICO collection and Metal Gear Solid collection handled the Silent Hill collection.

I'm not your Mary.

Lmao

I know the original VA is included on SH2, but man... I really hope that newcomers experience the original VA. Mary's VA is just... her performance is fucking killer, it's one of the greatest voice performances in any game as far as I'm concerned.

her endgame dialogue is very well written and the acting is amazing. when James is walking down the hall and she's going on about how she doesn't want flowers and how she's just angry, and then suddenly breaks down and starts apologizing... HOLY FUCK. and then the ending monologue with the "James... you made me happy," I've never listened through that part without getting choked up every single damn time

Basically there's no way the new VA for Mary can match that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I originally thought about getting the old PS2 version of SH2 DC and SH4 for PS2 (even if I own the PC version), but I think I'll just get this instead, as I already have the original versions of SH2 and SH3 for PS2 anyway. So that leaves only Downpour and Shattered Memories as the only main series SH games I don't own yet..

KorrZ

After Downpour I'm in such a SH mood, and I've never got the chance to play 3 past the beginning. I'm kind of interested in getting the HD collection, I just don't know if I wanna spend the money on something that isn't true to the original games.

I originally thought about getting the old PS2 version of SH2 DC and SH4 for PS2 (even if I own the PC version), but I think I'll just get this instead, as I already have the original versions of SH2 and SH3 for PS2 anyway. So that leaves only Downpour and Shattered Memories as the only main series SH games I don't own yet..

You should totally get Downpour...best SH in a long long time, if you can look past some slight technical issues.

Teknoman

Yeah SH2 specifically is one of my favorite video games of all time, a little increased gamma isn't going to ruin it for me.

Although I REALLY wish the studio that did the ICO collection and Metal Gear Solid collection handled the Silent Hill collection.

Lmao

You'll most likely be able to adjust the ingame brightness to match the classics if it is indeed at too high a level default.

I can't decide if I want to get this game, or Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. I feel like I would actually play RE: ORC sooner, but I've always wanted to complete SH3, and never got around to it.

You want this. Check out ORC, but buy this.

EDIT: Downpour has great atmosphere, environments, and characters, but i'm still a little off on the fact that there is hardly any music in the game (even though the title theme and intro theme were amazing) and the enemy designs are really...plain for lack of a better word. Only one has legit silent hillness to it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You should totally get Downpour...best SH in a long long time, if you can look past some slight technical issues.

I'll be getting Downpour, the HD Collection and the Silent Hill: The Terror Engine book. I initially planned to get SH2 DC, SH3 PC and SH4 PS2 too as mentioned, but I'll just skip those for the time being. Just ordered the PSP version of Shattered Memories, since I don't own a Wii and the PS2 version seems hard to find. So that leaves Downpour as the only remaining SH game I don't own.

KorrZ

i don't disagree about Downpour being good, but the technical issues aren't slight. they're substantial.

They're not that bad, the frame rate dips pretty often, but it's only for a few seconds at a time and then it jumps back up to a steady 30FPS. It's not really game breaking in anyway. I hear the PS3 version is worse when it comes to the frame rate dropping, but I can only speak to the 360 version.

Persona7

Banned
I'll be getting Downpour, the HD Collection and the Silent Hill: The Terror Engine book. I initially planned to get SH2 DC, SH3 PC and SH4 PS2 too as mentioned, but I'll just skip those for the time being. Just ordered the PSP version of Shattered Memories, since I don't own a Wii and the PS2 version seems hard to find. So that leaves Downpour as the only remaining SH game I don't own.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ7FW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which reminded me, I need another PS2 copy of Origins.

Teknoman

Speaking of terror engine, I just got an Ipad...so is there an online/download version of the book formatted for Ipad viewing?

Levito

Banned
I honestly have never even heard of the Terror engine until now, it sounds fascinating, has anyone here read it?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I know what will happen. I'll end up buying this, playing for half an hour and then being scared shitless and never playing it again. It happened when I bought Silent Hill 2, used to play at night, lights off, headphones on, heart was racing, couldn't handle it. Next night try again. I honestly thought the game was going to be the death of me. Stopped after about a week, hardly made any progress at all.

But I'll cave and pick this up this week, but I'll have to wait till daylight savings are over (I'm a nightshift worker) or play it in the weekend. Lights off, headphones on. :lol

Persona7

Banned
Amazon just shipped my order.

Cool.

I know what will happen. I'll end up buying this, playing for half an hour and then being scared shitless and never playing it again. It happened when I bought Silent Hill 2, used to play at night, lights off, headphones on, heart was racing, couldn't handle it. Next night try again. I honestly thought the game was going to be the death of me. Stopped after about a week, hardly made any progress at all.

But I'll cave and pick this up this week, but I'll have to wait till daylight savings are over (I'm a nightshift worker) or play it in the weekend. Lights off, headphones on. :lol
Hope you enjoy it!

They're not that bad, the frame rate dips pretty often, but it's only for a few seconds at a time and then it jumps back up to a steady 30FPS. It's not really game breaking in anyway. I hear the PS3 version is worse when it comes to the frame rate dropping, but I can only speak to the 360 version.

running around Silent Hill the frame rate nose dives every ten seconds or so. it's awful. doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the game, but it definately hampers it. 360 version here.

Teknoman

running around Silent Hill the frame rate nose dives every ten seconds or so. it's awful. doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the game, but it definately hampers it. 360 version here.

Havent had any nosedives on the PS3 version...but it definitely hitches at times...which I guess is a side effect of checkpoints?

Ridley327

Havent had any nosedives on the PS3 version...but it definitely hitches at times...which I guess is a side effect of checkpoints?

It's anything, really; checkpoints, saving, trophy pop-ups, unfinished asset loading. Hell, sometimes it doesn't even begin properly loading a new area right away.

There's one area you have to go through in
the monastery
that's nearly unplayable because of the stuttering.

Persona7

Banned
It's anything, really; checkpoints, saving, trophy pop-ups, unfinished asset loading. Hell, sometimes it doesn't even begin properly loading a new area right away.

the monastery

Unreal Engine 3 :(

KorrZ

the monastery

That hallway right before the
Theatre
with the
Classroom
on the side is ridiculous, I had to run back and forth through that hallway so many times and it hitches up every single time.

Persona7

Banned
Have they released any media on Xbox Live?

I just checked PSN and I don't see anything besides the avatars they released.

I can't check myself because I lost the power cable for my xbox.

Levito

Banned
I can understand if people don't like Silent Hill 2's voice acting as a whole, but what's wrong with Silent Hill 3's voice acting? I thought everyone sounded great...

That review doesn't even really mention a whole lot that we didn't know about the games from their original release.

Well, IGN gonna IGN.

Top Bottom