• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Teknoman

That Chrono Trigger episode style is a good idea. Wonder how thats gonna turn out...kinda surprised you still havent managed to play that, but you played a pretty niche title like Shin Shinobiden/Legions lol.

Its gonna be a fun ride.

Somebody should make a documentary about Vita owners.

haha, we can be super weird and illogical for sure.

That Chrono Trigger episode style is a good idea. Wonder how thats gonna turn out...kinda surprised you still havent managed to play that, but you played a pretty niche title like Shin Shinobiden/Legions lol.

Its gonna be a fun ride.

Just a time commitment thing. Somehow I got through FF IV and DQ V a few years ago when I started the podcast, just never didi episodes on them.

Dunno. I am currently playing catchup your recent casts. Awesome guests, topics ... simply terrific stuff.

Any update on your NES Classic pre-orders? I'm hoping to get lucky out in the wild on Nov. 11.

No word yet, but I bet you will find one on the 11th. Lots of places selling them.

Teknoman

I hope that the nes classic will at least get people to want to try more of the game series featured, and in turn, increase old school appreciation overall *listening to the Mike Mika 88*

FN-2187

No one has posted in here in awhile, but I have been getting caught up on episodes recently after falling behind.

Just listened to the launch day episode and really enjoyed it. I loved the stories of console launches when you were first old enough to buy the system for yourself without having to wait for a gift-giving event. It reminded me that the first system I ever got on launch day was the Sega 32X and it was for that very reason -- it was the first time I had enough of my own money to buy a system on day one.

Even though that system is largely a punch line, I have really fond memories of that launch and never regretted the purchase.

I was a huge Sega fan and even though I knew the Saturn was just around the corner, I had to have it. It also actually had a pretty strong launch lineup. With the system I got:

Virtua Racing Deluxe - A very solid arcade port with new tracks and cars
Star Wars Arcade - A short but fun Star Wars game and I love Star Wars
Doom - This was the real system seller for me. I absolutely loved Doom, but my family's primary PC was still an Atari at that point, so I only ever played it at my friend's house whose dad had a good PC for work. I believe 32X Doom was one of, if not the, first console versions of the game. It wasn't a great port and I recognized the flaws even at the time, but I still played that absolute hell out of it.

Those were the only three games I would ever own for the system and that was all I needed really. I played all three endlessly and it kept me busy until the Saturn came out.

JEKKI

I remember the Vita episode with Ethan where he said one of the hidden features of the Vita was using the sim card port as secret storage for a memory card!

I figured I would try that just now and the memory card got stuck!!

never again Ethan! Never Again!!!!!!!

good news is I got it out using two thin nails lol.

kubev

I'm listening to Back in My Play from the beginning, so I still have a lot of episodes to go until I'm current, but the announcement at the beginning of episode 67 mentions that only supporters through Patreon get access to the end portion of the podcast that doesn't specifically address the main subject going forward. I just have a couple of questions, as the Patreon page's video and content doesn't address them. (The video in particular could stand to be updated, assuming that the show's format has evolved at all on the Patreon end.)

Are there any other perks to supporting the show through Patreon, aside from that end segment? Since I haven't yet listened beyond this point, I don't know if future episodes have ads as this one does, nor do I know if those ads are in the Patreon-only episode versions. If there *are* ads in the Patreon-only versions of episodes, then can anyone comment on their relevance and length? I don't mind ads to an extent, and I typically even listen to the free versions of podcasts as long as the ads aren't too obtrusive, but Retronauts has gotten really bad about ads in its free feed. Since there's a Patreon-only feed, though, I was able to bypass that.

In either case, thanks, Kevin, for the great episodes up to this point. At this point, I'm hoping to be completely caught up within the next two months or so. XD

I'm listening to Back in My Play from the beginning, so I still have a lot of episodes to go until I'm current, but the announcement at the beginning of episode 67 mentions that only supporters through Patreon get access to the end portion of the podcast that doesn't specifically address the main subject going forward. I just have a couple of questions, as the Patreon page's video and content doesn't address them. (The video in particular could stand to be updated, assuming that the show's format has evolved at all on the Patreon end.)

Are there any other perks to supporting the show through Patreon, aside from that end segment? Since I haven't yet listened beyond this point, I don't know if future episodes have ads as this one does, nor do I know if those ads are in the Patreon-only episode versions. If there *are* ads in the Patreon-only versions of episodes, then can anyone comment on their relevance and length? I don't mind ads to an extent, and I typically even listen to the free versions of podcasts as long as the ads aren't too obtrusive, but Retronauts has gotten really bad about ads in its free feed. Since there's a Patreon-only feed, though, I was able to bypass that.

In either case, thanks, Kevin, for the great episodes up to this point. At this point, I'm hoping to be completely caught up within the next two months or so. XD

Yes, the video is out of date. This month the Patreon benefits and page/video will get a big facelift. The initial Patreon was more of a "tip jar" for those that wanted to support the show. I am expanding the content for the month of May.

After this great Zelda II episode, you know what you have to do Kevin

maxresdefault.jpg

Back In My 8-4 Play RE Special

maxiell

Zelda II episode was hilarious. Mark's complete shock and "Wow"s at John's various mundane stories about finding and playing the game made the whole thing.

Balb

Finally listening to the Zelda II episode. Shane's reaction to John using save states has me laughing my ass off. Classic Shane - still the GOAT on podcasts

FN-2187

Ed Fries episode was great. Kudos to Kevin for going the extra mile to get some of these interviews. I am sure it is not easy to line up.

Loving the summer of Xbox and I don't even have much nostalgia for the system. I mostly just used it to play MVP Baseball 2005.

Ed Fries episode was great. Kudos to Kevin for going the extra mile to get some of these interviews. I am sure it is not easy to line up.

Loving the summer of Xbox and I don't even have much nostalgia for the system. I mostly just used it to play MVP Baseball 2005.

Glad you are enjoying them. And MVP 2005 was incredible. We played so much of that.

PillarEN

Kevin, fantastic episode with Mark (nice to hear his voice as I've had 8-4 on the back burner more recently) and Crispin this week. Really fun stories. Loved the Phantasy Star fridge tale as well as debauchery at the old EGM office with the electric skateboard. Can't believe Seamus sent another board after Crispin coyly asked for another one. Had no idea Crispin was writing children's books. Good for him to also be helping out with the South Park game. Always love hearing about old 1UP alumni.

The Spock ears photoshop was a great story too.

JEKKI

The Back and the In My Play
2 Back 2 In My Play
The Back and the In My Play: Tokyo Drift
Back & In My Play
Back Five
Back & In My Play 6
In My Play 7
The Fate of the In My Play

Top Bottom