• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS all new hardware is out now and Creator's update is a go for Win 10

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's New in Windows 10 Creator's Update

How to get the Creator's Update

Meet the Surface Book 2

What do I need to know?

1. Creator update goes live 10 AM PT
2. Surface Book 2 is out now in 13" and 15"
3. All of the mixed realty headset are hitting the market

0b8806b4751316a6f8f8f0260fd3da92.jpg

96ce1a7c529ba97fa0697313900a9c93.jpg

400994f8d1d111feb59abcd2a64e4b9f-1024x656.jpg

Manual link for the update if you can't get it to pop in the update center.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

epmode

I don't want to watch a 30 minute video to get a rundown on the W10 update. Is there anything interesting? Significant UI changes? A quick search shows updates to UWP apps that I don't use. I'm not interested in Game Mode either.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't want to watch a 30 minute video to get a rundown on the W10 update. Is there anything interesting? Significant UI changes? A quick search shows updates to UWP apps that I don't use. I'm not interested in Game Mode either.

Click the What's New link in the first post.

epmode

Click the What's New link in the first post.

Don't know how I skipped right to the second link!

The new stuff looked underwhelming until I got to the part about OneDrive. Are they really bringing back the ability to see files that are in the cloud via Windows Explorer? I loved that in Windows 8!

I hope there's a way to allow you to see files from multiple OneDrive accounts in Explorer (I try to make the most of my 5 TB from Office 365 Home). I doubt it though.

emag

The return of OneDrive placeholders as files-on-demand, making OneDrive viable on tablets/laptops again, is the most important improvement for me. Of course, Microsoft reduced OneDrive quotas last year, so it's less compelling than it used to be back in the Windows 8 days. :/

M3d10n

For me it's:

- Microsoft finally finished the new files-on-demand implementation for OneDrive, so it works kinda like it did back in Windows 8, where you could see all your files and they would download only if you tried to open them.

- Task Manager now shows GPU usage without need for 3rd party apps.

- They ported over all the good stuff from the Windows Phone keyboard to the desktop touch keyboard (I have a tablet PC so that's relevant for me)

clav

Prepare for disappointment. Doesn't really change much.

Biggest news is Windows (Server) for ARM hardware.

Task Manager now shows GPU usage without need for 3rd party apps.

GPU requires WDDM 2.0 or above.

GPUs using WDDM 1.3 or below won't have that feature.

Kthulhu

Hopefully the notification mirroring works well. I'd love to not have to constantly check my phone for every little notification.

The return of OneDrive placeholders as files-on-demand, making OneDrive viable on tablets/laptops again, is the most important improvement for me. Of course, Microsoft reduced OneDrive quotas last year, so it's less compelling than it used to be back in the Windows 8 days. :/

It's funny, but this was the only thing that I cared about too. Don't care about AR/VR. I have that on my phone. Wake me when its as inconspicuous as a pair of glasses. I do like Windows Tablets. But the Surface Book 2 still has the GPU in the keyboard, plus theres still a gap. I think I'm more interested in Samsungs next take on it. OLED and smooth edges are more interesting to me.

clav

How can we tell which version our card supports? I have a second generation Titan X.

Oh, you're beyond qualified.

Easiest way to check is dxdiag and see Driver Model under Display tab.

My advice is geared towards casual users or people who like to use old hardware.

Please don't break anything. That's all I ask.

If you use bookmarks in Edge, back them up prior to upgrade.

Also you will have to reinstall updated drivers.

dem

Holy shit.. they are making Onedrive not suck again? I couldn't believe it when they took cloud links away from onedrive/skydrive. Sync was such a stupid step backwards.

Jonnax

Hopefully this fixes some of the hibernation issues I've been having lately.

Occasionally get a resume failure.

Upgrading on my 2017 Surface Pro as I type. Looking forwards to testing this out for all my work stuff. Genuinely. I enjoy this sort of stuff.

Tacitus_

OneDrive Files On-Demand. When you save your files in OneDrive, now you can access them just like any other file on your PC without filling up your disk space.

Oh good. It was stupid of them to remove that in the first place. "But it confused customers" my ass.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
How is Microsoft able to keep making money by letting you one-time purchase Windows 10 and keep getting updates like this? These Creators Updates would be like whole iterations of Windows on their old model. Just the GPU updated task manager, for example, that is something big enough to be its own OS revision.

Kthulhu

isn't this the update that says farewell to paint?

goodbye microsoft paint!

You will be missed!

That already happened. Plus you. An still get it from the windows store.

How is Microsoft able to keep making money by letting you one-time purchase Windows 10 and keep getting updates like this? These Creators Updates would be like whole iterations of Windows on their old model. Just the GPU updated task manager, for example, that is something big enough to be its own OS revision.

People still have to buy new computers every once and awhile.

Individual end users aren't the bulk of their user base. Trust me when I say this, but they can justify the cost of anything with how much they're making on the Enterprise side.

That being said, as I'm looking into Win10 for my job, customizing the kernel will continue to be a pain in the ass on Win10.

Oppo

the sooner they can banish the old cruft like Control Panel and update everything to fluent, the better. File Explorer sucks.

Top Bottom