• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever had a boss that behaved this way towards you?

This might be the classic "am I overthinking this?" type of GAF thread, but hopefully we could get some dialogue going on this. A little background:

I got a job about 4 months ago working at a non profit organization. I was interviewed and hired by the woman that would go on to be my supervisor. She was generally pretty friendly to me. Probably the next day after the interview, she called me up while she was driving to tell me I got the job. She called me multiple times before I had to come to the main office to sign the relevant documents that a new hire has to sign. She called to see if I had any questions about the job or anything like that. She was involved in my global orientation, she constantly would say "If you have any questions do not hesitate to call me or email me" and she consistently tries to complement me.

In my mind I'm thinking "you're a person who is managing a huge building and has several clients and other responsibilities, why are you making yourself so available?" In conversations I've had with her she seems...different around me compared to other people. Different in a way I can't explain. She keeps eye contact long after finishing a sentence, and she's always urging me to contact her if I have any questions or concerns rather than encouraging me to ask my coworkers. She seems almost personally interested in whether I am "comfortable"--for the lack of a better word--while I'm working. I've never had a supervisor who is so invested, while at the same time so busy. Has anyone been in a similar situation? is this how a manager should be?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You are one of her responsibilities and are brand new, having a person that invested that isn't coming down hard on your work can be a blessing.

GHG

Dude, no. Just no.

Stop whatever it is you're thinking. It's not what you think it is. It's only going to end in disaster.

Unless you want disaster of course. In which case crack on, do it for GAF. Do it for the legendary thread.

You are one of her responsibilities and are brand new, having a person that invested that isn't coming down hard on your work can be a blessing.

That's what I'm thinking. I have never had a manager who is so personally invested in my comfort in the work place. She even would make jokes like "it's too late to back out now! haha but seriously hope you don't have any second thoughts. If you have any questions or anything call me any time" Usually my managers would point me in the direction of existing literature or urge me to communicate with other coworkers. I've never had someone specifically tell me they'd make time just for me.

Not that I'm complaining or anything, it's so unfamiliar is all.

mavo

Banned
It sounds like your boss is trying to make you, the new guy, feel comfortable in your new job, aka a new enviroment.

You're over thinking it. Or you're not, in which case whenever she asks you questions like that repeatedly, simply reply factually and to the point. The way you're describing her suggests she's interested in you outside of a working relationship. If you don't feel the same way, don't entertain any of her advances.

Fat4all

Banned

image.php

Remember that GAF member that quit 2.5 hours into a new job because they were bored and didn't have anything to do and their computer wasn't hooked up? She's prolly trying to avoid that from members of his generation XD.

All joking aside, don't sweat it. Some supervisors are very hands on w/ the on boarding process because they want their team crafted to their specifications to make everything run smoothly downstream.

Nothing wrong. Be thankful and keep it moving.

Holy shite. She wants you bad. Wait for when others aren't around and make a move. Preferably at lunch time in her office. Bring flowers to help set the mood.

Sounds like she's making you comfortable to set you up for something, probably going to make you the fall guy for embezzlement or kill you.

Ristifer

I wish my manager was invested like that. I just get a bunch of passive-aggressive BS and annoying stories about her klutzy children.

Fatalah

Two things. If she hired you, she wants to feel validated by her decision and make sure you do well. Second, if she is impressed by your intellect, she'd probably love for you to think highly of her leadership.

You know, because females are just people too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dude, no. Just no.

Stop whatever it is you're thinking. It's not what you think it is. It's only going to end in disaster.

Unless you want disaster of course. In which case crack on, do it for GAF. Do it for the legendary thread.

^ All of this.

Froxenblade

Neo Member
You are absolutely overthinking it. This is how a good manager should behave. The sad truth is the vast majority of people who make it to management aren't qualified for the role. Enjoy it, chances are you'll have plenty polar opposite managers throughout your career.

Phu

Banned
She doesn't want you to rat out the company when you find out they're letting people pay to illegally dump on the lot near the tracks.

It sounds like your boss is trying to make you, the new guy, feel comfortable in your new job, aka a new enviroment.

but 4 months on tho? it's just unusual for me. I guess up until this point I've just really had bad bosses and now that I have a good one it's surprising because what I thought of as normal is actually bad.

She sounds like a competent and personable manager. Learn from your interactions with her how to be that kind of person. Don't write her a crown of sonnets.

Yeah she just wants to be a proactive manager. May have something to do with her own experience being managed by someone. Usually this is what informs a management style.

but 4 months on tho? it's just unusual for me. I guess up until this point I've just really had bad bosses and now that I have a good one it's surprising because what I thought of as normal is actually bad.

Filling a position in a company is a very expensive process. Retaining good employees is more economical than a position that ends up like a revolving door.

Stop overthinking it

1upsuper

Approximately how long does she hold your gaze during and after speaking to you? There are formulae for calculating likelihood of attraction but you'll need to bring a timer to your next meeting with her and record a large enough sample size to account for variation. Depending on the results you'll need to consult the workplace relationship flowchart in order to make the right decisions.

Just be glad you have a good boss. It's probably nothing.

Sàmban

Banned
what...the FUCK

jesus fucking Christ OP

I don't even...

no, she's not trying to fuck you

what the hell is wrong with you

We need some kind of control experiment to see if it’s the boss or OP.

Hey OP, when a random woman compliments you do you feel the urge to give her the D?

Girls avert their eyes from me when I talk to them. They look straight east or west while I'm looking north.

@OP, is she hot?

Well it just sounds like his boss is a sweetheart. If I had a boss like that, Id think Id have a really caring woman, almost like a loving mother. Obviously still a boss, but Id feel so comfortable and at ease about developing a relationship with a superior. So much better than an intimidating one. Actually in my line of work a lot of the older women are like that. Come to think of it, some of the older men are like that too.

Top Bottom