• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Parry and focus neutralised fireballs pretty easily.
Well obviously in 3s parry made fireballs irrelevant (and made jump ins weird). But in SF4 even with focusing through fireballs, zoning characters still could anti air consistently or would have more escape/defensive options when jumped in on or rushed down. In SFV your options are limited, no crouch tech, etc. You had jump back OS but Capcom trying to take that away lol...

I agree with pretty much all the complaints about SFV. I wish they would open things up more but I think they're committed to keeping the game in this direction for the rest of its lifespan which I find unfortunate. I don't even have much faith that we'll ever see a 2nd critical art or V trigger.

In the end I still enjoy the game but I hope they don't plan on keeping it this way for SF6 if there​ is one.

Producer

when daigo loses to vagabond twice you just know the game is shit

no offense to vagabond

edit and to ludovic and rayray as well lol

mbpm1

Eh, depended for focus. The thing with focus is that it varied a lot in what characters could do off of it based on character's dashes and focus startup/recovery itself.

Some characters focuses were just ass and they had to hold fireballs at most ranges because the focus and a dash forward was still negative.

Even characters with good ones would get mopped if they tried to force the issue. Art's sim got a lot of mileage out of fireball > st. short the focus at range if they tried to focus dash in.

I agree with pretty much all the complaints about SFV. I wish they would open things up more but I think they're committed to keeping the game in this direction for the rest of its lifespan which I find unfortunate. I don't even have much faith that we'll ever see a 2nd critical art or V trigger.

In the end I still enjoy the game but I hope they don't plan on keeping it this way for SF6 if there​ is one.

A new CA or vtrigger seems mad unlikely at the moment.. at best new moves.

Skilletor

Nah, fireballs are used to control space. Even if you focused, you still had to commit to one direction or another which allowed the person chucking plasma to maintain control.

Parries hurt fireballs, but what hurt them almost as much was how shitty they were (speed, damage, startup animations).

Lmao. Watching the new Core-A Gaming gaming video and I got to the footage of Fchamp saying this game is "Marvel with lag", that is basically the most apt description I've ever heard of SFV.

There's a Ryu and two birdies at combobreaker. Cool kid managed to get to 24th place and lost to Chris G and Mago. He's an Alex player.

Meanwhile where the fuck are the Juri players :(

Kashiwaba

when daigo loses to vagabond twice you just know the game is shit

no offense to vagabond

edit and to ludovic and rayray as well lol

I'm not defending SFV but why do people blame sfv when players like infiltration, Daigo...etc lose instead of saying they are not as good in SFV as they were in SF4, yet we have players like punk, Du, phenom, Fuudo...etc who breeze through the pools and are always in the top 8. If SFV is so random or very simple as people say why won't those players lose like Daigo and infiltration?

Village

Y'all are brutal. I see a Chun on tomorrow's list.

You'll have your time Juri.

Not trying to be.

I think her moveset in this game, is kind of bad, along with her hit boxes and the amount of damage she does being wack as fuck. She is two types of bad. She plays bad, and she IS bad.You see alex's because despite him not being the best, he's fun to play and not hard to use. Almost every time I see trying to play juri it is followed by " who the fuck even plays this character".

Fang is bad, but I get how you can play him and his gameplans, to this day I do not understand what juri's plans are. She just has random shit.

Fang is bad, but I get how you can play him and his gameplans, to this day I do not understand what juri's plans are. She just has random shit.
Throw and shimmy.

If that doesn't work, dash in throw.

If that doesn't work, dash in shimmy.

If that doesn't work, change your character.

Village

Like she doesn't make sense.

Ok so her specials do low damage, but they move her, maybe she could be a mobility character. Oh she can't do that because she doesn't have a dive kick and her only dash move is her v reversal that she can get knocked out of , everyone can see coming from 10 miles away and folks can block

Ok maybe she's the type of character where she can buff her moves so they do more damage, and that's her gameplan. Nope, her charge only works for a few moves they don't do that much damage, none of her specials do and the only worthwhile versions are EX.

Ok maybe she's a mix up character, no she doesn't really have too much to set up, her fire ball has to be charged and a lot of her crazier combos don't do that much damage. And if you wait for v trigger to be some sort of mix up button, while that might have worked in 4 that doesn't work here because everyone has it and there are ahcracters like rog who's trigger is I dash across the screen and you are dead or almost dead or I combo'ed ex into ex or into super.

Her and laura are opposite ends of a spectrum.

Laura does 1 thing, she does her one thing, she plays her one way. That is who laura is, and juri has a bunch of shit that does not a damn thing.

All right so that Core-A gaming video. Here's some points I've been making and thinking about for over a year now, and it's why I've decided to give up on the game after seeing the S2.5 balance changes.

• The game is not balanced fairly. It never was at the start. It wasn't at the start of S2.0. It won't be in S2.5. It won't be in S3.0. It won't be in S3.5. And so on and so on. The reason for this is fairly straightforward, and is exactly what Brian_F said in that BornFree interview. They don't care about making the bottom tiers better, they just care about character variety in tournaments. They don't want to promote solid and stable play so much as "getting insane damage off of one read". It's prevalent in Laura, it's prevalent in Urien, it's prevalent in Balrog, it's prevalent in Ken (he doesn't do as much damage but the instant corner carry), it's prevalent in Karin, it's prevalent in half the cast. This style of gameplay is certainly a thrill to watch as it's a constant staredown on who'll land that first hit, but as a player, it's the WORST fucking thing in the world. One mistake leads to you literally losing the round. One bad read leads to you literally losing the round.
  • The game's execution (or lack of it) is a major problem. The best combos that were figured out for the character were figured out day-1 and there has been 0 experimentation or reason to do any other combos. The problem isn't so much the lack of execution as the lack of variety in that. As a Laura, they never need to do different combos because 1 or 2 combos will always lead to damage and stun and great positioning for oki. You never have to sacrifice damage for stun, sacrifice damage for oki, sacrifice oki for damage because the ideal combos get you all 3 in bucketfuls.
  • Grapplers feel like the fucking worst because of the lack of defensive options. Mika (yeah we get it she has bad footsies), Laura and Zangief are 3 of the most annoying characters for me personally to play against because their command grabs never reset the situation but almost always keep a vortex going where again it falls into a 50/50. There's no defensive option unless you spend meter, and if that fails then you lose 50% of your life and give the opponent meter, oki, stun and V-meter. I don't see what's the problem with an invincible backdash since backdashes ALREADY have a CH property with no real reason to do it if you're up close (dumbest fucking decision ever).
  • The defensive style of play is just not going to work. It's just not. There are too many characters that can close the gap from one hit, too many characters that can start a vortex that ends the round with one successful hit, too much bullshit with too few options to deal with them. That's why F.A.N.G is NEVER going to be viable. That's why Nash is now ALWAYS going to be a struggle character. They don't want to promote a character that involves constantly outthinking and outmoving your opponent because that requires skill and Capcpom doesn't want to promote skill so much as burst damage output.
  • Appealing to spectators NEVER works out. NEVER. That's why most e-sports stopped doing it because it's freaking stupid. And the Core-A gaming video summed it up perfectly.
  • This game STILL has potential to be good but in the hands of Capcpom, I know it's going to 4 more years of this offense and vortex driven garbage. I can't support this game and I can't support this franchise anymore. The horrible balance just makes the game not fun to play.

/rant over.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I can't support this game and I can't support this franchise anymore.

image.php

RM8

I guess I went dirty casual, but my biggest issue with this game is balance and not really more lenient inputs.

ShinMaruku

If you want to appeal to spectators you got to do it like Tekker. Those slow mo zoom ins are just that, the flashiness and just overall design already works on the specators.

However if a game is designed on the 3 axis of competetive players/spectators and sponsor intrests, you will never get a well designed game. Many times the wants of one axis is opposed to the other.

But I don't really think those 3 focuses is why sf5 is not what it could be. I just think somebody on the development team just can't make up their minds, they don't think highly of the consumer enough.

However let's be honest this game will get the most oxygen and with enough iteration the game should end up fine. The only thing that will never be fine is Fang because he's a failed character design and those fucks should drop him rather than make the broken puppet dance like they are Eldarith Ynneas. Too precious.

Now I had a few fun matches from today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLfj6W4K_os

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmsNfE2Ii70

mbpm1

i think i might be...getting better. I've been trying to play much less rtsd and it is letting me find opportunities that wouldn't be there if i forced the issue.

Producer

I'm not defending SFV but why do people blame sfv when players like infiltration, Daigo...etc lose instead of saying they are not as good in SFV as they were in SF4, yet we have players like punk, Du, phenom, Fuudo...etc who breeze through the pools and are always in the top 8. If SFV is so random or very simple as people say why won't those players lose like Daigo and infiltration?

I was mostly joking lol. But i agree with what was said in the previous pages about sfv closing the skill gap or something like that.

Sayad

• The game is not balanced fairly. It never was at the start. It wasn't at the start of S2.0. It won't be in S2.5. It won't be in S3.0. It won't be in S3.5. And so on and so on. The reason for this is fairly straightforward, and is exactly what Brian_F said in that BornFree interview. They don't care about making the bottom tiers better, they just care about character variety in tournaments. They don't want to promote solid and stable play so much as "getting insane damage off of one read". It's prevalent in Laura, it's prevalent in Urien, it's prevalent in Balrog, it's prevalent in Ken (he doesn't do as much damage but the instant corner carry), it's prevalent in Karin, it's prevalent in half the cast. This style of gameplay is certainly a thrill to watch as it's a constant staredown on who'll land that first hit, but as a player, it's the WORST fucking thing in the world. One mistake leads to you literally losing the round. One bad read leads to you literally losing the round.

/rant over.

Agree with most of the list(except grapples thing, later on that), but the bolded is bullshit, if they're balancing for character variety(shuffling top tiers for exposure) to keep things interesting for the viewers, they would have gone the NRS route with a patch every other month. Bonchan's theory is more likely tbh, they're balance team is just... Umm, stupid!

On the grapplers thing, imo, the 50/50 game once they get in isn't the problem, that's how it is in every game, when a grappler get in on you, you pay the price. Problem is, in good games you feel in control during neutral, if a grappler manage to open you up, it's either through a sick read or you fucking up. In SFV there's way too much randomness in the neutral, someone just jumping in and pressing different buttons with different timing would manage to get in on a lot of characters, then there's the yolo armored moves in neutral, CCs, etc... Even Alex would have been great if his vortex was better, it's not like he lacks yolo approaches, the payout is what he lacks.

Basically, grapplers are awful to fight because there's too much guessing in the neutral(which end up making the whole match feel random), not because of their vortexes.

On the grapplers thing, imo, the 50/50 game once they get in isn't the problem, that's how it is in every game, when a grappler get in on you, you pay the price. Problem is, in good games you feel in control during neutral, if a grappler manage to open you up, it's either through a sick read or you fucking up. In SFV there's way too much randomness in the neutral, someone just jumping in and pressing different buttons with different timing would manage to get in on a lot of characters, then there's the yolo armored moves in neutral, CCs, etc... Even Alex would have been great if his vortex was better, it's not like he lacks yolo approaches, the payout is what he lacks.

Basically, grapplers are awful to fight because there's too much guessing in the neutral(which end up making the whole match feel random), not because of their vortexes.
While you definitely have a solid point there, I feel like the command grab/grab/meaty vortex is just in general much more strong here than it is in most games. S2.5 is going to give light DPs throw immunity so it's SOMETHING but most of the cast still has nothing except jump or backdash or commit to a metered reversal. And backdash can be crush countered so that's arguably an even more unfavourable position.

I feel like just adding a few frames of invincibility for backdashes but keeping the CH property would go a long way towards making the defender have options besides committing to a DP or a metered reversal.

ShinMaruku

A properly working very strong grappler would be a nightmare. They should have gone a mid route and make a striker with good throws as the grapplers rather than gief.

[*]This game STILL has potential to be good but in the hands of Capcpom, I know it's going to 4 more years of this offense and vortex driven garbage. I can't support this game and I can't support this franchise anymore. The horrible balance just makes the game not fun to play.[/LIST]

/rant over.

I have the same opinion and the release of GG Rev 2, Tekken 7 and KOF for PC has me ready to retire from SFV. But let's face it.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1Mp9DmuQc

Not trying to be.

I think her moveset in this game, is kind of bad, along with her hit boxes and the amount of damage she does being wack as fuck. She is two types of bad. She plays bad, and she IS bad.You see alex's because despite him not being the best, he's fun to play and not hard to use. Almost every time I see trying to play juri it is followed by " who the fuck even plays this character".

I think she is fun to play, but her moveset is definitely a weird collection of different moves, as you describe in your other post, and it feels like a whole lot of work for a small payout in most cases. If not for Capcom's current aversion to people playing lame / zoning, then I think that her old SF4 moveset would mostly have translated well into 5.

I simply don't see what their goal was when they redesigned her.

Csr

Agree with most of the list(except grapples thing, later on that), but the bolded is bullshit, if they're balancing for character variety(shuffling top tiers for exposure) to keep things interesting for the viewers, they would have gone the NRS route with a patch every other month. Bonchan's theory is more likely tbh, they're balance team is just... Umm, stupid!

A patch every other month would create a lot of other problems though and it would require a lot of resources.
I don't think their only priority is to have character variety but imo it is definitely one of their priorities, otherwise i think they wouldn't have nerfed the previous top tiers so aggressively.

MrCarter

I doesn't fit in with thier narrative and agenda.

MrCarter

All right so that Core-A gaming video. Here's some points I've been making and thinking about for over a year now, and it's why I've decided to give up on the game after seeing the S2.5 balance changes.

The game is not balanced fairly. It never was at the start. It wasn't at the start of S2.0. It won't be in S2.5. It won't be in S3.0. It won't be in S3.5. And so on and so on.

You probably haven't played SFIV - that was an unbalanced mess. I would say SFV was far more balanced and fun in S1 than in S2 however the new S2.1 balance patch is going in the right direction with buffing the lower tier characters, Ryu, FANG, Vega,Juri and slightly nerfing the top tier. They seemed to have taken that feedback from 2.0 patch but they can still improve it even further. As for execution, I mean Smash, Injustice, MKX all have easy execution, NRS games have a huge input buffer that you can mash out without much thought or skill and it's one of the reasons why it's popular with the casual audience.

As for combos, yeah it's all well and good they are figured out (it's easy with so many resources in 2017) but I think it's how they use and implement it in a real match that matters. From the e-sports angle they seem to be doing extremely well, however they certainly can improve the gameplay overall by giving players better V-reversals, removing slow white health regeneration, better defensive tools etc. Good thing here is that SFV isn't going anywhere soon so they CAN improve further if they want to.

The v system is pretty much how they'll fix most of the issues going forward. Expanding that on all fronts will help the game and they've started doing that by making more skills viable in terms of meter gain and making triggers a little better for the cast. They just need a massive push on it. That and defensive options.

People should keep the criticism coming. That's how games get changed. Tekken was a mess before FR, gundam was a mess before extreme iirc, and SF4 was a mess for years.

But in the mean time play Gundam.

Edit: it's also unfair to say that the game is unbalanced in terms of a technical front but completely fair to say it's unbalanced from a feeling perspective which is just as important. Who cares if you technically can win if you don't feel like it?

MrCarter

This is from the other thread but I completely agree with Sirlin and his design overview of Street Fighter 2 HD Remix.

Making Street Fighter more accessible is good for everyone, in my opinion. Experts aren't really affected, but new players can get past the awkward beginner phase faster and into the intermediate phase where the interesting strategy starts to emerge.

There are some players who wrongly believe that this "dumbs the game down." Actually, the opposite is true. Experts can perform special moves already, so the changes toward easier execution of moves have very little effect on them. Experts will care about actual balance changes such as hitboxes, recovery times, new properties for some moves, and so on. Making special moves easier, however, just allows everyone else to play the "real" game without needing to develop hundreds of hours of muscle memory just to perform the moves. It's actually sad to hear that some players think that their ability to execute a 360 command throw is why they are good, as opposed to the actual strategy of getting close enough to the opponent with Zangief to land the throw.

Another wrong-headed comment I often get is that easier controls don't leave enough skills in the game to separate good and bad players. The statement is absurd. Easier special moves don't change the strategic depth of the game at all (and the actual balance changes in HD Remix increase the strategic depth). Furthermore, there's no shortage of nuance for experts. Does Cammy's dragon punch beat Fei Longs? It depends on exactly who did it first, which means that 1/60th of a second timing is just as important as ever. So is positioning, spacing, the difficulty of performing combos, and the skill of reading the mind of the opponent.

Edit: it's also unfair to say that the game is unbalanced in terms of a technical front but completely fair to say it's unbalanced from a feeling perspective which is just as important. Who cares if you technically can win if you don't feel like it?

I think that Rog and Urien in the S2.5 patch exemplifies this:
With Urien they nerfed some of the stuff that can feel really annoying to deal with when fighting him, while with Rog they simply reduced his health by about 2%. For all I know, they made this change to Rog's health after re-running a ton of recorded games and seeing how that affected the outcome individual rounds. But it still leaves everything about Rog that annoys people, so people will probably not stop complaining about him, even if this change has a tangible effect on the balance.

Ucchedavāda;238337244 said:
I think that Rog and Urien in the S2.5 patch exemplifies this:
With Urien they nerfed some of the stuff that can feel really annoying to deal with when fighting him, while with Rog they simply reduced his health by about 2%. For all I know, they made this change to Rog's health after re-running a ton of recorded games and seeing how that affected the outcome individual rounds. But it still leaves everything about Rog that annoys people, so people will probably not stop complaining about him, even if this change has a tangible effect on the balance.

This weekend PR Rog would have been knocked out a few times due to that health change. There's a bunch of times Smug just had a sliver of life left. It's a pretty decent change even if he still needs that goddamn fucking damage scaling because wew lad.

But again, he doesn't feel fair to fight against and that's a big thing in fighting games. They gotta hit a balance for both.

That Core A video is just a new spin on the old elitist stance of harder execution = better game, which is bullshit, as that Sirlin quote above pointed out. SFV has some problems (it's probably slightly too explosive right now, but man it's fun to watch), but that skies is falling narrative is overly dramatic. As stated, it's a lot better than SFIV in terms of balance, and certainly more fun to watch. It's just a really popular whipping boy right now because Capcom's mishandled the game pretty badly. At its core SFV is super solid imo.

Also he really cherry picked his interview quotes, huh? You'd think every pro thinks SFV is a bullshit garbage guessing game, lol.

Pompadour

I mostly agree with the Core A video except in two areas.

1. The frame buffer isn't an issue and it shouldn't be used as an example. There's lots of fighting games with the same frame buffer with extremely difficult combos. SFV has simple combos by design. If they lower the damage and open up juggling potential the combos would become more difficult.

2. I don't necessarily buy they're balancing for spectators because we only have one, real balance patch as a data point. We've seen the 2.1 patch but it's mostly nerfing the characters on top. I'm not sure we can deduce that this is intentional. It's probably a mistake like everything else that doesn't work right in SFV.

MechaX

People should keep the criticism coming. That's how games get changed. Tekken was a mess before FR, gundam was a mess before extreme iirc, and SF4 was a mess for years.

But in the mean time play Gundam.

It's funny because I see people on Gaming being like "folks are just jumping on the SFV hate train suck it nerds!" but the kind of criticism you and others have pointed out are stuff that I think needs to be brought up hard and brought up frequently. There is a very, very good game in SFV; I don't hate it by any means, but I have found it unfortunate because I want to like the game more than I do now. But I want to make sure that Capcom eventually gets there by Season 3, 3.5, 4, etc and I am not entirely convinced they are currently handling all of this as well as they should be.

And since you brought up earlier Gundam, I don't know if anyone really played Fed v. Zeon or AvT/Gundam v. Zeta seriously, but the SEED/SEED Destiny titles were steps in the right direction... but they had some hilariously broken units (Launcher Strike and Strike Noir were everywhere due to some absurd properties of their weapons). And GvG/Next/Next+ just had some really weird and broken shit in a lot of units to the point where they didn't really strike a good balance until EXVS and beyond.

Now I admit that I'll probably like Virtual On/Gundam more than any fighting game, I admit that, but I'm hoping Capcom can get to a point where the game moves beyond frequent 50/50s. I mean, even Marvel had more defensive options than SFV, and that's pretty alarming.

MrCarter

That Core A video is just a new spin on the old elitist stance of harder execution = better game, which is bullshit, as that Sirlin quote above pointed out. SFV has some problems (it's probably slightly too explosive right now, but man it's fun to watch), but that skies is falling narrative is overly dramatic. As stated, it's a lot better than SFIV in terms of balance, and certainly more fun to watch. It's just a really popular whipping boy right now because Capcom's mishandled the game pretty badly. At its core SFV is super solid imo.

Also he really cherry picked his interview quotes, huh? You'd think every pro thinks SFV is a bullshit garbage guessing game, lol.

I liked some of his points in the video but you can clearly tell his bias against SFV when he mainly used that game to get his narrative across lol. What I don't understand is, execution was something that was majorly complained about in previous games because it "cut off" the casuals, yet now when it's more accessible people are complaining it's "too easy" - it's like the FGC don't know what they want. In addition to this, people ALSO want SFV to sell more copies with "casual" content such as arcade, ladders, tourney mode etc, yet they want them to have a harder time actually playing and learning the game? Makes no sense.

It's funny because I see people on Gaming being like "folks are just jumping on the SFV hate train suck it nerds!" but the kind of criticism you and others have pointed out are stuff that I think needs to be brought up hard and brought up frequently. There is a very, very good game in SFV; I don't hate it by any means, but I have found it unfortunate because I want to like the game more than I do now. But I want to make sure that Capcom eventually gets there by Season 3, 3.5, 4, etc and I am not entirely convinced they are currently handling all of this as well as they should be.

I think it's a little unfair to say that they can't fix it. Most of the problems, at least in my eyes, are additional things that can be added to the v-system (besides defensive but I guess you could include that). They've already started moving in that direction by giving more gauge for using the skills, they just need to make a bigger incentive so the game has it's own FA thing without being as busted.

The complexity and difference of the characters should come from that. Usually Capcom creates a base for a game and modifies it from there. It's happened with pretty much all of their games, especially 4. So while it's fine to submit those criticisms, we've been through this song and dance so many times.

Shit, the 50/50 shit could be bettered by adding new wakeup options, improving reversals, and maybe a new defensive option. That's not outside the realm of possibility.

And since you brought up earlier Gundam, I don't know if anyone really played Fed v. Zeon or AvT/Gundam v. Zeta seriously, but the SEED/SEED Destiny titles were steps in the right direction... but they had some hilariously broken units (Launcher Strike and Strike Noir were everywhere due to some absurd properties of their weapons). And GvG/Next/Next+ just had some really weird and broken shit in a lot of units to the point where they didn't really strike a good balance until EXVS and beyond.

GvG was competitive. Thing started the Gundam arcade craze but EXVS made it take off! I think those games aren't necessarily that balanced since the large amount of suits means only half are actually good, but you don't feel that issue because the game has defensive options by using boost (yeah you can block but...).

Now I admit that I'll probably like Virtual On/Gundam more than any fighting game, I admit that, but I'm hoping Capcom can get to a point where the game moves beyond frequent 50/50s. I mean, even Marvel had more defensive options than SFV, and that's pretty alarming.

Different games for different systems. SFV doesn't have to have AS many as SF4 or Marvel, but it definitely needs more than it has now.

Neoxon

In terms of player expression, I'm not sure if removing the 3-frame buffer is the right idea. Not only would it scare some people off, but it'd also impact online play since it'd make certain combos impossible online (see SFIV). I believe the answer lies in expanding the V-System & allowing for more defensive options (including buffing the range of normals), though the former can assist with the latter.

Oh, & decreasing the input lag would help, too.

Top Bottom