• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

So maybe he's not talking about you? And no need to be so verbally aggressive.

The guy comes in and says 'bikers are so full of themselves' and then proceeds to chat shit for multiple paragraphs and you're telling this guy who just had an accident to not be so verbally aggressive?

L M A O.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So maybe he's not talking about you? And no need to be so verbally aggressive.

I had the exact same situation the majority of that video demonstrated happen to me (cars failing to give way and this is what the original cause of the ops video was) without the luck of it being further down the road (I essentially got tboned on a bike ffs) but no, its the riders fault.

As in I'll be at the speed limit before the other side of the intersection and cars will take hundreds of meters even at low limits of 60kph.

Just because a car CAN reach the limit in just a few seconds at full throttle doesnt mean the driver is going to do that are they? If you have ever ridden a motorbike(and its obvious you never have) you would know it takes little to nothing to get a bike moving and reach the speed limit.

Common misconception. The safe following distance for bikes is actually higher then cars.

Pay attention to the video beyond loud bike seemingly going faster than cars.

Read the thread, you'll quickly learn the killing bikers is 90% of gafs favourite passtime.

That video has been great for showing just how clueless gaf drivers truly are.

do explain how the rider here (and no, it isnt me) caused even 1 of these near miss situations.

hell there is only 9 or 10 clips, explain each one of them...

inb4 completely failing to understand basic australian road rules and the fact the wide angle lenses make everything look further away and moving a lot faster then it is.

Oh fuck off.

I was hit and nearly killed last night because an inattetitive dumbass in a car decided giving way was optional.

I was riding at the speed limit, left most of 2 forward lanes (Australia) and the driver turned across from the on coming lane into a side street. Hit him at 60kph went flying into the air and landed head first on the bitumen.

i ended up finally stopping where the yellow box is

But no, its my fault because I'm just another asshole aggressive biker. Fuck off...

I had the exact same situation the majority of that video demonstrated happen to me (cars failing to give way and this is what the original cause of the ops video was) without the luck of it being further down the road (I essentially got tboned on a bike ffs) but no, its the riders fault.

You might want to step back and see it from a car drivers point of view. You talk about how much faster a bike accelerates, but that is not automatic. There are a lot of cars that can accelerate faster than what most drivers are expecting or used to. Also motorcycles have much better views of the road compared to cars especially modern cars with thick as fuck a,b, and c pillars with airbags and high window sills.

I never had a bike, but I used to have a decently quick car and I would leave a stop light or sign like it was off to the races and I would get mad at people pulling out in front of me. Looking back it was my fault. Most drivers expect a 10-12 sec acceleration not half that.

I can't speak on the situation you experienced, but if you are saying car drivers should be able quickly and accurately determine a bikes speed and acceleration when they are driving like the guy in the video you posted, you need to re-evaluate your position. I would say most people in this thread don't like bike riders, not because they don't want to share the road. It's because bikes can be hard to predict and I know, I at least get a bit worried that one of these days a bike is going to come flying by me and I won't see them until it's too late.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I never had a bike.

That much is painfully obvious as it is for everyone in here defending the driver in the op.

The stupid thing that boarders on hilarity is not a single near miss in that video is caused by rapid acceleration, speeding or aggressive riding.

I am still waiting for someone to go through each one of the clips and somehow explain how its the riders fault.

Kenstar

That much is painfully obvious as it is for everyone in here defending the driver in the op.

The stupid thing that boarders on hilarity is not a single near miss in that video is caused by rapid acceleration, speeding or aggressive riding.

I am still waiting for someone to go through each one of the clips and somehow explain how its the riders fault.

i saw him pass a car in one clip RECKLESS
ezhkii.gif

Get this MAD MAN off the PUBLIC STREETS

I mean that was my point. Glad you distilled my entire response down to that one tiny part of my post. Keep playing the victim though. There are stupid inattentive drivers everywhere. If they don't see my red as fuck car, because they're in their cellphones or what ever than what do you expect when you are on a bike.

Riding around with a chip on your shoulder pretending every car is out to get you isn't going to help. Don't assume people see you or know what you are going to do.

The very first indecent in the video shows a car pulling out in front of another car and the bike.

I rode on the back of a motorcycle in India during rush hour traffic. That was something else..

My wife was a critical care nurse and is now a CRNA, I can't do motorcycles anymore after hearing the stories.

Wow... Please just stop... you're halfway to the centre of the earth...

Yeah, I'm the unreasonable one lol

Did they?

I can guarantee you that the car drive did something exceedingly stupid before the video started that could have killed the rider.

Probably merged into the carpool lane without indicating and travelling at a much lower speed than the rider. Followed up by probably telling the rider to fuck off and that they don't care that they almost killed them.

No bias detected

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yeah, I'm the unreasonable one lol

No bias detected

I was proven right. Try again.

I've seen enough bad driving in my 10 years experience on the road and through the countless bad driver compilations from YouTubers such as snowcat, rj, Adjrian Nickelodeon etc etc when I was preparing to get my bike license, to know how clueless car drivers are.

Hell in just the whole month or so since getting my bike license ive had countless cars pull out on me like I dont even exist culminating in getting hit and nearly killed last night in a virtually unavoidable crash caused by the car driver.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

https://youtu.be/IlmRdHx-Gdo?t=1m1s
Take a look at this part. See how far away he is when the car starts to pull into the road. He could easily slow down and allow the car to merge, yet he doesn't.

I have been hit by a car three times on my bike while on a bike lane in the last 5 years and only once did it cause damage to my body, but it took years to recover from the first one. The first time the guy who tboned me while turning into a bike lane said he didn't see me, which was true because 5 seconds previously I could see him drinking his fucking coffee while driving before. All my ribs in The back were broken my arms were chicken winged so bad I think my left arm will never be The same again and I am left handed. The second guy intentionally tried to cause me to swerve as he got so close his side mirror clipped me. He drove away and I ended up almost hitting a lady when I crashed into the gutter. The third time a lady decided to get out of her car and almost car doored me. I just got hit by the edge of the door which caused me to swerve into the side of another car that was stationary. I was not hurt. If it was a split second previously I would have rolled under The car an died. The lady was on her phone when this happened. Nearly every day I see someone on their phone in their car not giving a shit about anything, while driving. Here in melbourne some drivers have a real hate for cyclists and motorbike riders it is scary, I know some of them and they just hate anyone on the road that is not on at least 4 wheels. I know a lot of bikers and cyclists do not follow the rules, and it it risks injury or death for them, but they are single individuals and should not be linked together. However when a car driver breaks the rules, the risk to others is magnitudes greater. Now that most people are in suvs and smartphones it is a recipe for disaster if you are a nervous driver. If you are a nervous driver you are a liability.

The rider kicking the car was a retaliation and should not have done it. The driver swerving reacted to that kick in a very bad way. Intentional or not the driver was a liability. If intentional the driver basically fried to kill that rider. If not intentional explain to me how the driver suddenly forgot the rider was there while arguing with him a few seconds before.

The reason there was filming in the first place was because the car was also raging before filming started. Riders will complain because usually because of a brush with death. Drivers rage, sometimes because they just hate riders. A driver will not say "omg I almost died when that motorcycle cut me off", but likely a biker will when a car does it to them because of the high risk to the rider who is on two wheels.

This is why I am scared to ride sometimes because there are people there who don't care if I die just because I am on two wheels or would go out of their way to "teach me a lesson"

He rides a motorcycle, of course he's a piece of shit. That still doesn't mean you can try to kill the guy. Driving around in Miami isn't much better, and you see this type of shit all of the time. If you drive a car you carry a lot of responsibility on your shoulders, and losing control like that was negligent at best.

Wow dude. What is wrong with you and everyone else in this thread just blanket slandering motorcyclists? There are some people who abuse their motorcycle, just like there are plenty of shitty car drivers. That doesn't meant there aren't lots of considerate, safe riders. Chill the fuck out. I hope I never have to share a road with people who fly into a murderous rage at the sight of my high-vis helmet.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's like a kid complaining to a teacher that some random kid on the street called them a bad word.

The fuck are they gonna do about it? Either sort it out yourself or better yet just let it go.

Calling 911 over almost getting merged into is the most pathetic thing you could do. It's just a waste of everyone's time and emergency services resources.

The only person he recklessly endangered was himself. And yeah, I said it was a kick and run.
it's better to waste a phone call of resources than cause a collision waste of resources, so we're just going to have to disagree what he should have done if he wanted to take action.

And no, the kick even without the car driver going crazy and crashing is both endangering himself and everyone else around him.

Tenck

Yes drivers on a weekly basis intentional swerve into a bikers, rollseyes.

You've never ridden a motorcycle. It's obvious

Edit: I read your follow up post. I stopped riding because it was happening so much. Last time I had it happen I was lucky a cop was there to witness it. I've never been that scared in my whole life.

wildfire

Banned
Jesus Christ. I just want self driving cars to become a reality so we don't have to deal with this shit.

Someone who speaks my language.

I'm an aggressive driver and I'm looking forward to it too. Too many people drive too slow or timidly and ruin the flow of traffic constantly. I can take a hit not being required to drive anymore knowing I would rarely see these problems again.

What the fuck at all the biker hate in here? I drive as responsibly as possible and always take a defensive approach to driving regardless of whether I am on a motorcycle or in a car.

Too many people drive too slow or timidly and ruin the flow of traffic constantly.

Let me guess: driving below the speed limit is "too slow" for you.

I like how the guy who got hit last night gets banned the but toxic posts like

I don't know who is at fault here but I fucking hate bikers.

He rides a motorcycle, of course he's a piece of shit. =

these don't even get touched.

Good fucking job mods.

Riding around with a chip on your shoulder pretending every car is out to get you isn't going to help.

Actually it does, it's called defensive driving, and it's a good thing to do whether you're driving a car, motorcycle or bicycle. It's the safest way to ride.

it's better to waste a phone call of resources than cause a collision waste of resources, so we're just going to have to disagree what he should have done if he wanted to take action.

And no, the kick even without the car driver going crazy and crashing is both endangering himself and everyone else around him.

It's best just to do nothing and move on, but phoning 911 over it is literally the most useless thing possible. They can't do anything about it, they're just going to be like 'well okay then'.

Do you call 911 every time someone cuts you off?

And again no, unless he's superman that kick can only possibly only endanger himself. Still an incredibly stupid and childish thing to do though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I was proven right. Try again.

I've seen enough bad driving in my 10 years experience on the road and through the countless bad driver compilations from YouTubers such as snowcat, rj, Adjrian Nickelodeon etc etc when I was preparing to get my bike license, to know how clueless car drivers are.

Hell in just the whole month or so since getting my bike license ive had countless cars pull out on me like I dont even exist culminating in getting hit and nearly killed last night in a virtually unavoidable crash caused by the car driver.

I rode a moped for 8 years and had very few instances of car drivers trying to kill me (although I did get in one wreck). I wasn't able to accelerate super fast or go significantly over the speed limit due to the engine. Maybe those factors played a part in me not having many issues, or maybe I just got lucky for ~8 years.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's best just to do nothing and move on, but phoning 911 over it is literally the most useless thing possible. They can't do anything about it, they're just going to be like 'well okay then'.

Do you call 911 every time someone cuts you off?

And again no, unless he's superman that kick can only possibly only endanger himself. Still an incredibly stupid and childish thing to do though.
I don't call 911 every time someone drives like a tool unless I suspect a DUI, but I also don't go after them to do property damage or otherwise create a dangerous situation.

And yes the biker do put everyone at risk, had he fell, lost control or otherwise ended up in front or over in the other lanes.

There are a lot of shit that can happen from something as dumb as that kick so to me he does put everyone else at risk for nothing.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Rule number one: don't fucking escalate. If someone does something stupid, it was probably a mistake. Retaliation is idiotic and dangerous. Just get the fuck over yourself, back off, and let it go. Or incidents like the one in the OP can happen. Both the biker and the driver are complicit in causing harm to innocent bystanders and putting additional people at risk, and the biker will hopefully be caught and charged for leaving the scene and aggressive riding. The car driver being an idiot is no excuse.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As stated previously, lane splitting is legal in Australia.

Traffic filtering and lane splitting in actually safer than the alternative, because it allows bikes to get to the front of the pack, away from cars that will kill it.

In addition, the bus and carpool lanes in many country allow motorcycles to ride in them.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

What is lane splitting? I'm guessing it means being allowed to pass on either side? Which all sounds fair except there has to be some responsibility on the biker? If you are a car driver and check your mirrors before a lane change then a bike can be on you in a flash into a gap that was clear when you checked a second ago. Of course if you aren't indicating etc then no excuses.

I rode a moped for 8 years and had very few instances of car drivers trying to kill me (although I did get in one wreck). I wasn't able to accelerate super fast or go significantly over the speed limit due to the engine. Maybe those factors played a part in me not having many issues, or maybe I just got lucky for ~8 years.

Happens a lot more on the highway in my experience, which I don't think you'd be on on a moped. Also just try riding around Powell when people are trying to get to/from work, it sucks (iirc you'll get this).

What is lane splitting? I'm guessing it means being allowed to pass on either side? Which all sounds fair except there has to be some responsibility on the biker? If you are a car driver and check your mirrors before a lane change then a bike can be on you in a flash into a gap that was clear when you checked a second ago. Of course if you aren't indicating etc then no excuses.

Hahaha, car drivers checking their mirrors and signaling? Funny joke. The number of times people have nearly merged into me without so much as turning their head is not funny though.

For reference, lane splitting is the practice of riding between lanes in the space between cars. It is legal in California, not in Oregon or Washington where I ride though. Motorcyclists ought not to do it where it isn't legal as it isn't reasonable to expect drivers to expect people to do it, but where it's legal it is a car driver's responsibility to check that they have a clear path. ANY vehicle must check when changing lanes as they do not have right of way.

Also before people get mad about lane splitting again, it gives more usable road space to everyone, reducing traffic and congestion. Don't get mad just because you're in a vehicle that's too wide for it.

I like how the guy who got hit last night gets banned the but toxic posts like

these don't even get touched.

Good fucking job mods.

As much as I disagreed with the nonsense being spouted by the banned user and his apparent viewpoint that bikers are *never* at fault under any circumstances, including the hilariously obvious video by Adrian Nickelodeon where the drivers were acting completely normally in 90% of the cases, I also kind of agree with you here. Those anti-biker posts were uncalled for and added nothing to the discussion other than taking cheap shots for no reason, and should also have been banned. Just my opinion though

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't know who's at fault but wtf at the white truck? Notice the KIA does the sensible thing and applies the brakes. Guy in the truck speeds up and gets hit.

Clockwork5

I don't hate motorcyclists but they have to be aware they are rolling the dice every time they hop on the bike. I've been in enough accidents that were not my fault to never be on the road in anything other than a car with a billion airbags and a tightly fastened seatbelt.

G-Bus

Banned
Haven't read much of thread but I don't get why he felt compelled to kick the car. Fucking idiotic in my mind. That whole thing could have been worse.

I rode for a year on a little 750 and my dad's been riding for a long time. I've never had a problem. Don't ride like a jackass, be vigilant and it's all good.

I don't know if it's riding culture but there is a large group of assholes that ride motorcycles like idiots. See it quite often in Vancouver.

Seems to be a big group online that think they should be allowed to ride how ever they want because they're so manuverable and every vehicle should act like it's on rails because they feel vulnerable.

Dont get me wrong. A lot of great motorcycle enthusiasts out there. Just the bad ones seem to dominate the publics perception of them.

Top Bottom