• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus - Performance & Cinematic Modes / PS2/PS3/PS4 Comparison

JP

A couple of official videos from PSX concerning the game.

They do say "targeting" 60fps so it'll be interesting to see how well it holds up.
Shadow of the Colossus - 60 FPS Performance Mode and Cinematic Mode | PS4 Pro (YouTube)

I know that not everybody likes how the PS4 version looks but I do think it holds up pretty well.
Shadow of the Colossus - PSX 2017: Comparison Trailer | PS4 (YouTube)

although we don't know a great deal about it at the moment it is worth remembering they have already confirmed that the game will feature different filters so there may even be away for people to make it look closer to the PS2 version, if that's what they want.

NahaNago

For some odd reason i do prefer the ps2 version. I feel like style of the game changed quite a bit from the ps2 to ps4.

sublimit

Banned
I'm a huge fan of the original and i don't mind the aesthetic differences in the PS4 remake.I think it looks phenomenal to be honest and it will be one of the exclusive jewels of the PS4 library along with TLG.

I hope they do the same for Ico too.

Edit:Collector's Edition:
38929318791_36eda787ab_b.jpg

Lastly, we are also proud to reveal a Special Edition release, which will include the following bonus items: Steelbook Collector's Case with outer sleeve, Artist Postcards, Printed Manual, In-game Digital Extras (Ancient Bow, Cloak of Fate, ”Spotted Steed" Agro skin), Two Custom PS4 Themes, Colossi Avatar Set for PS4, Physical World Map, and Colossi Stickers.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...s4-pro-enhancements-special-edition-revealed/

I have no problem with the visuals - the updated overhaul looks superb, IMO.

But even being a huge evangelist for SotC, I really hope the gameplay and control kinks are addressed. Platinuming the PS3 remaster was an exercise in self-imposed attrition.

Day1

I own physical versions of the PS2 and PS3 games. I think I will buy the physical for this one too. Even though I am usually digital only.

nowhat

Sign me up for a day one purchase of the steel book version. This remaster/remake looks incredible. Kudos to the dev team.
Bluepoint really knows their remasters, the work they put into them is really quite incredible (check out the DF video about the first Uncharted game - incredible stuff, like a rope that is visible once in the game gets updated geometry to make it more realistic).

Which makes me wonder, how would an original Bluepoint game turn out? They certainly have the technical know-how, but that doesn't translate into artistic prowess.

(yes, I'm aware they have made a single original game, but as it was a small PSN title in 2006 I don't think it counts)

sublimit

Banned
Which makes me wonder, how would an original Bluepoint game turn out? They certainly have the technical know-how, but that doesn't translate into artistic prowess.

(yes, I'm aware they have made a single original game, but as it was a small PSN title in 2006 I don't think it counts)

Honestly i think this is the next logical step for them. Probably along with an acquisition from Sony.

jaydogg691

Is there any actual 60fps footage out there?

The 60fps explanation video was converted at 30fps and the comparison video which was converted at 60fps only had 30fps footage...

chaosaeon

Bluepoint really knows their remasters, the work they put into them is really quite incredible (check out the DF video about the first Uncharted game - incredible stuff, like a rope that is visible once in the game gets updated geometry to make it more realistic).

They're not without a couple of nit picks though, for example in trying to change the overly watery eyes in Uncharted 2 which mostly happened to Chloe, they went too far the other way and also applied the change to everyone when some characters didn't need it and their eyes became really odd looking like matte doll eyes. They also used the Uncharted 3 opening theme for the title screens of all 3 games in the remaster instead of their respective variations. Nit picks, yeah, but who knows if something small like the Colossus #3 sword jump will be made possible in the remaster.

thelastword

Banned
For some odd reason i do prefer the ps2 version. I feel like style of the game changed quite a bit from the ps2 to ps4.
And that's why the PS2 version is still available for all those who want to play that....I can tell you something, I won't be playing the PS2 version ever again. I didn't want to play the PS2 version when the PS3 version debuted and I sure won't play the PS3 version now that we have a 4k 30fps /1440p 60fps SOTC remaster on PRO.

Hell, I just put out a brand new PS2 I had stored away some years ago, I'm plugging it to play some GT3 and GT4. If Kaz decides to Remaster GT3/4 on PS4/PRO..That PS2 is going back in the shrinkwrap, that's for sure....You better believe....

bigfurb

And that's why the PS2 version is still available for all those who want to play that....I can tell you something, I won't be playing the PS2 version ever again. I didn't want to play the PS2 version when the PS3 version debuted and I sure won't play the PS3 version now that we have a 4k 30fps /1440p 60fps SOTC remaster on PRO.

Hell, I just put out a brand new PS2 I had stored away some years ago, I'm plugging it to play some GT3 and GT4. If Kaz decides to Remaster GT3/4 on PS4/PRO..That PS2 is going back in the shrinkwrap, that's for sure....You better believe....

I think its actually 1440p 30fps/1080p 60fps. Either way it looks phenomenal

I completely agree. Bluepoint are amazing and are definitely one of my favourite devs this gen. The Uncharted Collection was so good. I wonder what's coming next?

Tyaren

What about 4k downsampled to 1080p?

Downsampling was confirmed fortunately. :)

Sid Shuman on Playstation blog:
Hi, quick note from the dev team re: PS4 Pro support on 1080p TVs:
“Without a 4K TV, PS4 Pro users running in cinematic mode will get a native 1080p display that is generated from a render target of 1440p. This results in a smoother image with less aliasing artifacts.”
Hope that helps. The game is beautiful!

Tyaren

It wasn't clear to me from the video but is the 60 FPS mode on the PS4 Pro running at 1440p?

No, there is 1440p at 30fps and 1080p at 60fps.

I wonder if it actually is a locked 60fps or unlocked 40fps-50fps like we see in many other Pro games. Well, I'm not interested in a higher framerate mode anyway (as long as the 30fps are stable). I'd rather be blown away visually. :)

I wonder if it actually is a locked 60fps or unlocked 40fps-50fps like we see in many other Pro games. Well, I'm not interested in a higher framerate mode anyway (as long as the 30fps are stable). I'd rather be blown away visually. :)

So there is no 4K mode at all?

Tyaren

So there is no 4K mode at all?

That is the 4K or "cinematic mode" as they call it. It is not native 4K but native 1440p with temporal injection to reach that desired 2160p/4K output. (I'm no tech expert, so please don't ask me to explain this in more detail. ;)) Apparently it is the same method Ratchet & Clank used on PS4 Pro. It produces a really nice, clean image for 4K TVs, it's a little softer than native 4K though.

That is the 4K or "cinematic mode" as they call it. It is not native 4K but native 1440p with temporal injection to reach that desired 2160p/4K output. (I'm no tech expert, so please don't ask me to explain this in more detail. ;)) Apparently it is the same method Ratchet & Clank used on PS4 Pro. It produces a really nice, clean image for 4K TVs, it's a little softer than native 4K though.

I understand the method used, I was just confused by the information from the YouTube video (specifically around 1:35) seems to have a dev saying the original goal was 4k/30 as the cinematic mode and then they found a better balance of 1440p + "smoother experience", so that's why I thought the 1440p mode was the 60 FPS mode. Additionally, at 1:43 in the video, there is a subtitle that says "4K and 1440p resolution requires a 4K device" so that also why I thought there was a 4k and 1440p mode.

So now I'm confused.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Awesome!

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

1080/60 would be incredible

Top Bottom