• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the new 3DS updates fix software issues? Rayman 3D and more run super smooth now.

Doczu

I have an updated and unupdated 3DS XL. I can compare them but I don't have any of the games people here are talking about...

Try some others. Resident Evil Revelations, or something. Give a list of games you have with some minor/serious framerate problems.

This thread just shows placebo at work, which is why I always find it amusing when people say that digital cables make a difference etc, they likely changed nothing about games and yet people are still noticing a difference..

This thread just shows placebo at work, which is why I always find it amusing when people say that digital cables make a difference etc, they likely changed nothing about games and yet people are still noticing a difference..
Annnnnnnnnd you know this how? Unless you have tested it personally. Also, what are you talking about with cables? I'm going to assume you don't actually mean that there's no difference between an analog connection and digital, because that would be crazy. Do you mean whether first party vs. a cheap cable makes a difference? Because I have definitely had cables that weren't properly insulated which caused interference.

Can someone actually provide proof for this update increasing frame rates? This sounds like a bunch of people falling for a placebo effect.

Cant believe anything before someone makes a "COMPARISON", I know its hard to do because there isnt some kind of downgrade method (I Think), but till there is proof this thread is pretty much useless.

Annnnnnnnnd you know this how? Unless you have tested it personally. Also, what are you talking about with cables? I'm going to assume you don't actually mean that there's no difference between an analog connection and digital, because that would be crazy. Do you mean whether first party vs. a cheap cable makes a difference? Because I have definitely had cables that weren't properly insulated which caused interference.

Because if this update affected so many games as suggested in this thread, don't you think Nintendo, or another news site would have mentioned it?

In regards to cables I'm talking about people who can swear they can see differences between HDMI and optical cables, even though they are digital.

There's zero evidence that there's any change in performance in this thread.

Thoraxes

Because if this update affected so many games as suggested in this thread, don't you think Nintendo, or another news site would have mentioned it?

In regards to cables I'm talking about people who can swear they can see differences between HDMI and optical cables, even though they are digital.

There's zero evidence that there's any change in performance in this thread.

I can't post video now, but I can assure you at the very least Mii Plaza performance has been improved significantly, if you're someone with a lot of streetpasses.

Not necessarily. Firmware updates often have optimizations that aren't explicitly stated. We do need more evidence to verify the claims in here, but just because no one has posted definitive evidence yet doesn't mean they must be bogus.

Castlevania definitely had a boost. Just look at the Mercury Steam intro with the bat, first it had stutter, now is perfectly smooth. In game is also better, it's easy to see in a side scroller game. I also had bought the game yesterday and made the update this morning, so the comparison has been spot on.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Nintendo mentions improvements to "behind-the-scenes system performance" with every update, to the point where people no longer pay attention and just assume it's a smokescreen for anti-piracy measures.

As for "other news sites", they just lift crap from forums like this one, so if someone does their own tests and posts the results in this thread you can expect to see 'em posted everywhere within a few hours.

TwiztidElf

My 3DS XL has been hard locking occasionally since the last software update. I've only been playing Z:OOT, so I don't know if it's happening in other games.
Anyone else?

I noticed that Find Mii and my Mii Plaza was a whole lot snappier and didn't lower the frame rate like it used to after the update last week.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sonic Racing has gone from the game stopping every 5 seconds, making it absolutely unplayable and a shame for the developer to stopping every 30 seconds, making it a crap port from a bad developer (still shame). That's from the demo version. Anyone that played the demo back then can confirm this. The game is crap still.

Off topic, but is there any evidence of faster load times when playing from an SD card than from the cartridge, or the contrary?

I remember on the Wii that games like Xenoblade, when played form the disk where awful, but after ripping and playing from the HDD, was much better.

Sonic Racing has gone from the game stopping every 5 seconds, making it absolutely unplayable and a shame for the developer to stopping every 30 seconds, making it a crap port from a bad developer (still shame). That's from the demo version. Anyone that played the demo back then can confirm this. The game is crap still.

Sounds about right, I can confirm the demo version does stutter less (still will not purchase) and Internet browser is faster (still slow) but they are slowly getting it together. They updated swapnote too...hoping they will fully integrate that on a OS level so we can multitask.

I know this is probably crazy talk, but in game notification of a message and faster delivery times would be sweet too.

Randdalf

As somebody who uses the browser a lot, I noticed in the update before last that they changed the loading bar to be at the top rather than the bottom (overlayed on the site title) of the 3D screen.

For Rayman, I was sad that they didn't attempt the bring over the PS2 version instead if they couldn't even make the game as smooth as the DC version it was based on.

Think the 3DS could've handled the PS2 version? And is the game now running in 60 frames on 3DS?

DaBoss

I have the digital version of Bit.Trip Saga, and it has no slow downs like I seen before. It would happen if there were 3D models in the background, but now that doesn't happen.

m0t0k1

Tried the Sonic Racing demo and I didn't see a difference, what is the System Update Number? Also, is this in NA or EU? I'm in NA.

It doesn't work for demo's. I compared it to the metal gear demo to the cart game. still low frame rate but less drops. on the cart I think demo;s stay the same.

If the update had increased system clocks or anything like that then it wouldn't matter if it was the demo or the retail game, so yeah I'm going with mostly placebo, Mii Plaza is included as part of the OS so that being faster is definitely something they could have changed.

Nintendo mentions improvements to "behind-the-scenes system performance" with every update, to the point where people no longer pay attention and just assume it's a smokescreen for anti-piracy measures.

Yup, there's likely performance increases with every update.
For one the 3DS seemed to return from the settings screen to main menu and boot up slightly quicker after the update before this one.
The browser has had a few updates too, but as it's never explicitly stated people just seem to think the "behind-the-scenes system performance" updates are useless in general.

Since the newest 3DS update I've noticed significant boosts in FPS/general polish in multiple games.

Rayman 3D transformed from a sub-30 FPS slog into a very smooth platformer. Even going back to the hilariously-laggy levels produces smoothness not too far from the golden PS2 version. Load times are significantly decreased.
No longer takes Rayman like ten seconds to do his spinning animation when he respawn upon death.

Wont fix the janky skyboxes and some of the other stuff.

Ridge Racer no longer gets the occasional stutters mid-race and the time trials are actually playable now.

definitely wont fix the brutal AI on higher levels.

Interesting. I got rid of both games long ago.
The quality of Rayman 2 shines through the 3DS port, regardless.

RM8

What is this nonsense? I'll try Ridge Racer and the Sonic Racing demo later today. Of course I'd play Super Monkey Ball 3D right after updating, a game that runs perfectly smooth even with 3D on, lol.

Anteo

Well firmware updates affected Ridge Racer in the past (on the 3ds)
Also, I feel my battery last even less now, it started a few days ago. What gives? (I'll go try some games that I know had slowdown)

Three times my friend and I were tackling monsters in MH3 and were booted from local multiplayer. The game would just say so and so left and we'd be left to kill the monster on our own. Wonder if the update caused it.

tkscz

I'll try some other games, but Luigi's Mansion seems to jump between 40 and 60 FPS now instead of 30 and 60.

Anteo

Three times my friend and I were tackling monsters in MH3 and were booted from local multiplayer. The game would just say so and so left and we'd be left to kill the monster on our own. Wonder if the update caused it.

Nah, that happens with many games, specially when there is interference or something. I had it happen with SSF43D, MK7, and other multi games (but I don't remember that happening with KI:U, also I only had it happen when playing multi with many other devices like 3ds/psp playing other multi games around.)

Also, IF something have been unlocked, and is now the 3ds is draining more Battery does that mean Revision incoming? (as I said, I feel that my battery last even less, I was wondering if somehow it got damaged or something)

AirBrian

Anecdotal evidence, but I did notice better framerates in Luigi's Mansion (the first mansion load screens, specifically).

Effect

Does anyone here have Code of Princess? I don't have my copy on me but could someone check to see if there is any change with that game? Great game but there is a lot of slow down when the screen starts to fill up with enemies and the camera has to zoom out.

hunnies28

Does anyone here have Code of Princess? I don't have my copy on me but could someone check to see if there is any change with that game? Great game but there is a lot of slow down when the screens starts to fill up with enemies and the camera has to pan back.
I don't have my cart with me. I'll check it when I get home.

Joqu

I doubt this is true, but I don't have any of the games that apparently have the noticeable improvements so I can't test. This is really interesting!

Probably Iwanta Claus got in every 3ds owners home while they were sleeping and replaced their systems.

He has even given me a 3ds with the same amount of screen scratches. Thanks Iwata.

Peterthumpa

Anecdotal evidence, but I did notice better framerates in Luigi's Mansion (the first mansion load screens, specifically).

Gotta test this today, the cutscene where Luigi is transported to any mansion (which is basically the same for every mansion besides the mansion bitmap on the computer screen) runs in real time and always at a subpar FPS.

Doczu

Battery life has gone a bit down because of that damned update. I've got an OG launch 3DS and it becomes more apparent that it's time to change it's poor heart.

Anteo

No more slowdown on SSF4 3D when using Juri's ultra just after blocking Bison Ultra.
Also need more testing, but no more slowdown in a Ryu vs Sagat fireball fight (in trainig room at least, gonna try on other stages, but other stages have static backgrounds too in this version so...)

Battery life has gone a bit down because of that damned update. I've got an OG launch 3DS and it becomes more apparent that it's time to change it's poor heart.

YES I noticed this too, didn't think it was because of the update but maybe it is (I was starting to think about replacing my 3ds)

tkscz

Gotta test this today, the cutscene where Luigi is transported to any mansion (which is basically the same for every mansion besides the mansion bitmap on the computer screen) runs in real time and always at a subpar FPS.

I wasn't paying attention to this part, but I don't think it changed. Though I can say the load screens are faster and more parts of the mansion hit 60 FPS, though the majority of them are still down in the 40 FPS range.

No more slowdown on SSF4 3D when using Juri's ultra just after blocking Bison Ultra.
Also need more testing, but no more slowdown in a Ryu vs Sagat fireball fight (in trainig room at least, gonna try on other stages, but other stages have static backgrounds too in this version so...)

YES I noticed this too, didn't think it was because of the update but maybe it is (I was starting to think about replacing my 3ds)

Then it seems the previous up date sped up CPU clock speeds, which would cause batteries to die faster. Of course I replaced mine with a longer lasting 3rd party battery.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It would be cool if they stopped underclocking a processor or something. If it's true, the battery draining faster could be a symptom of that, couldn't it?

Mr Swine

Banned
It would be cool if they stopped underclocking a processor or something. If it's true, the battery draining faster could be a symptom of that, couldn't it?

Could be...

Iwata: "We announce that we have OC the CPU/GPU in the 3DS!

3DS owners: "Sweet!"

Iwata: "By 1mhz! Enjoy your 1h battery life! *laughs*"

3DS owners: "Doh!"

Doczu

Is there any battery replacement for an OG 3DS that doesn't block the use of the CPP and prolonge the usage time?

Anteo

Yeah some loading areas in Revelaitons.. while there is slowdown, and is still bad, I think I can move more freely. Could be placebo effect so I'm gonna test more areas and compare with a recent playthrough I saw on youtube later.

zruben

Banned
ok, now I need side by side comparisions... I just played a little bit of Bit Trip Runner and Luigi's Mansion...

Bit Trip felt smoother, and Weegee's loading times felt a lot shorter.

My battery is dying sooner too, but I'm not sure if it's for the heavy swapnote usage lately, or it's effectively due to the update.

Top Bottom