• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the 28th anniversary of the Game Boy

Madness

Had the original in 91, then got a Game Gear, I got a Game Boy Pocket Ice Blue in like 95, then a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Blue, and then Game Boy Advance original (later stolen during a house break in) and then an SP Platinum. Honestly was the GOAT handheld. Played the hell out of games using the original, pocket and Color. Link's Awakening is one of the best Zeldas of all time for anyone who has played it.

MetalSlug

Was it a "Play it Loud" Series?

It's an original I think. It is grey with black dpad and red(or purple) A+B buttons.

The border around the screen is a slightly darker grey.

On the back it says the model number is "DMG-01". Above that there is another number "GM5898833"

OmegaFax

I think the original Game Boy I have is a launch system. I know that in later runs, they used barcodes along with the serial numbers on the back. The one I have just has a silver strip with a serial number printed on it.

We've come a long way.

TlDFZ32m.jpg

Falchion

The first one I had was a Pocket that my parents gave me right before we took a crazy long road trip to Canada so that I'd have something to do. On the way we stopped at a Sears and I bought Pokemon Blue and never stopped playing video games after that.

SkylineRKR

Had the original fridge, it was great and spent countless hours on the Mario Land games, Zelda, Mystic Quest, TMNT, Probotector etc.

Also bought the Color and thought it was shit. I basically solely played SMB Deluxe on it, which was good. I just expected more horsepower from the system itself by 1999.

XaosWolf

I think the original Game Boy I have is a launch system. I know that in later runs, they used barcodes along with the serial numbers on the back. The one I have just has a silver strip with a serial number printed on it.

We've come a long way.

TlDFZ32m.jpg

Not as far as you think. The Gameboy screen often detached from the rest too. =D

jstripes

Banned
Nintendo, ahead of the curve when it came to mobile gaming.

Tetris on the go was perfection. Also Pokémon.

The thing is they weren't ahead of the curve, technologically. Just like the NES, they used bargain bin parts in the GameBoy. They just knew how to make fun games for it, and marketed it at an appropriately low price point. It was a brilliant strategy.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The thing is they weren't ahead of the curve, technologically. Just like the NES, they used bargain bin parts in the GameBoy. They just knew how to make fun games for it, and marketed it at an appropriately low price point. It was a brilliant strategy.

The technology doesn't matter, the concept was ahead of the curve. Portable games were thought of as one and done. The Gameboy changed all that.

jstripes

Banned
The technology doesn't matter, the concept was ahead of the curve. Portable games were thought of as one and done. The Gameboy changed all that.

The Atari Lynx was in development at the same time as GameBoy, and was released a few months later. (But we all know how that went.)

Easy_D

never left the stone age

We've come a long way.

TlDFZ32m.jpg

But is the Switch actually portable though

Best handheld ever imo.

The form factor with the OG, pocket and color are my favorite designs, and the library is truly "portable" gaming at its best

There are future handhelds that have a better overall library, but they never felt like something I wanted to actually take with me. Like the ds, 3ds, psp and vita all pretty much stayed at my house and I would just play them on the couch or in bed or whatever. But my game boys have gone with me thousands of miles.

I'll never forget when I got mine because my mother bought it for me the same time she bought it for my brother who was being deployed for Operation Desert Shield. His lasted all through his deployment and tours through Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Thing really took a licking.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Looking back, I only ever really used it for Pokemon (which I loved) and Kirby's Dreamland (which I thought was... ok). I did play Link's Awakening DX and the Oracle duology on Game Boy Color, though.

My least used video game device ever.

fester

Banned
Had the OG Game Boy with all the accessories: magnifying glass, light, etc. Car trips with my brother were dominated by it and multiplayer gaming in the back seat were...intense. The game boxes always take me back to staring at Christmas catalogs (Sears?) and dreaming of what it would be like to play them. Such a great system.

Top Bottom