• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Thief |OT| Dancing into obscurity, now across the pacific!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm finishing up Chapter 7 at the moment, I think. Just posting my frustration with something at the moment.
No more gyro controls. Forever. Holy crap, screw this noise. Seriously cursing up a storm in my mind right now. If they ever make a sequel to this, never ever implement gyro control again. Edit: Finally got past it. Well. That was very bothersome.

Edit: Looking forward to highlighting those spoilers in Nocturnowl's post when I'm finished with this.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
I'm not very far into the game (just started Chapter 3) but I'm loving everything about it. The rhythm games are starting to get a bit harder though. Did you guys went for an A in your very first go in the story mode?
Some yes, some no - most of the beginning games are pretty easy to go back and A rank, if not A rank on the first try. When you get to the later games, there's at least 2-3 where A-ranking is quite difficult, and probably best saved for after the game is complete.

OMG Aero

Did you guys went for an A in your very first go in the story mode?
I went for a perfect run on each game before moving on when I played through the story mode.
There's only one level where I said fuck it and just accepted an A rank and that was the
Rub Rabbits
one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game made me realize I probably have a faulty L-button! Yaaaaay!

Had to hammer hard on the L button with my thumb, and it ended up working out somehow. Also tried Boney's tag prior to that so that might've helped.

I'm not very far into the game (just started Chapter 3) but I'm loving everything about it. The rhythm games are starting to get a bit harder though. Did you guys went for an A in your very first go in the story mode?

I went for an A rank my first time through the mini game. Frustrating as fuck

olimpia84

Any tips on R21? (Operation Love)
I can't even beat the damn game. I can reach the 3rd segment with an A ranking but everything goes to hell after that.

The first poodle one? Yeah, I just ended up staring at the guide once I hit the last segment, only glancing up to see what the bread layout was to get the A.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just finished this off.

Need time to gather my thoughts cohesively, since all I'm thinking is, "Hrrrrmmm..." Er. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just... well, I'll highlight Nocturnowl's spoilers now, because I think I'll agree with the majority of them. We'll see what I come up with when I have to write up impressions. Game's a satisfactory product and I'm glad to have bought it. But it has its share of flaws too in terms of inconsistency.

olimpia84

The first poodle one? Yeah, I just ended up staring at the guide once I hit the last segment, only glancing IP to see what the bread layout was to get the A.

I play all the games with the guide on but I'm not sure it helped at all. Does it give you some kind of visual aid that I'm missing? Anyways, I ended up beating that particular game with an 'E' ranking that annoyed me very much but at the same time I didn't want to be stuck in that part forever.

RobbieNick

The poodle game was hard, but fun for me.

The chef games though. GRRRR! I'm just not very good at getting that right for some reason.

Anyone else start using items when the mini games were starting to get too tough? I had to for the
Charlie hang glider game.

massoluk

Banned
This game is... so so. It's quite forgettable frankly. The difficulty is all wonky and even when you do finish a level, it's not very satisfying. This from the dude that cleared everything there is in Ouendan 1-2 and Elite Beat Agent. The visual/audio queue really feel very lacking to me.

NFreak

Really surprised Giant Bomb hasn't done a Quick Look of it. Looks like it deserves more love.

They didn't receive a copy from SEGA and they were talking about it during this week's I love Mondays. I really hope they end up getting a copy and doing a quick look of it because I feel like Brad and Ryan would dig it considering it has similar aspects to Professor Layton. Great game though. I'm on chapter 7 and I'm really enjoying it. I've gotten A's on every game I've played so far. It's too bad this game is gonna bomb.

I play all the games with the guide on but I'm not sure it helped at all. Does it give you some kind of visual aid that I'm missing? Anyways, I ended up beating that particular game with an 'E' ranking that annoyed me very much but at the same time I didn't want to be stuck in that part forever.

The guide is those timing circles.

jgkspsx

God damn Nintendo for putting a God damn accelerometer in the God damn 3DS, and God damn Sega for ruining my rhythm game by making me whip around a system with a hinged screen like it's a Wiimote or something.

I loved the game up till now, but this Alfred Pennyworth "fight" is so much bullshit.

God damn Nintendo for putting a God damn accelerometer in the God damn 3DS, and God damn Sega for ruining my rhythm game by making me whip around a system with a hinged screen like it's a Wiimote or something.

I loved the game up till now, but this Alfred Pennyworth "fight" is so much bullshit.

I totally understand your frustration with that rhythm game, but I ended up liking it after some practice. The controls actually respond well, so you can turn the 3DS very lightly to dodge the attacks. Once I got down the turns, my ranking went from a D to....well, a D, but that's because I still get hit by some of those cross chops.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have been looking forward to Rhythm Thief and the Emperor’s Treasure since it was announced in Japan in 2011. I made a point to preorder it as soon as possible and to have a grand ol’ time with it when it was released, even if it was going to be overshadowed by Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy. It is a game which focuses on musical minigames used to propel a narrative forward, so it being story-based is a bit of a draw. SEGA is no stranger to the rhythm genre, with games such as Space Channel 5 and Samba de Amigo being part of their repertoire. So how did SEGA’s latest performance go?

Give the Orchestra an Encore

This is and was the biggest draw to the game for me. With a soundtrack that gives special thanks to Jun Senoue, you know it’s gotta be good, right?

Well, it actually is, imo. I liked the album a lot. The main Rhythm Thief motif is nicely composed and a wonderful way to greet the player when selecting the cart on the 3DS menu or opening up the title screen. It being consistently there in fanfares and the ending was nice.

Some of the minigame themes like "Intruding the Louvre" and "Moon Princess" provide a lovely backdrop to the main minigame sound effects and cues. Intruding the Louvre, for example has a ridiculously nice bassline which complements the secretive nature of Phantom R's entire operation. Moon Princess is covered in the majesty Hijiri Kuwano, whom some people may recognize from such soundtracks as Final Fantasy XIII and Sigma Harmonics. As usual, Kuwano dazzles us with some good violin playing. The game's opening minigame theme "Showtime" is loaded with some disco and catchy vocals, which reminds me a little bit of Sonic Adventure's soundtrack. This is a good thing.

Town themes such as Day in Paris and Night in Paris sort of remind me a lot of Sonic Unleashed's soundtrack, and this is purely because the portion of Unleashed's soundtrack dedicated to Europe employed such things as piano and accordions. Here, catchy percussion and lovely piano hooks create a celebratory atmosphere in Day in Paris that you can't help but to dance to if listening to on its own. You sort of hear some of an Unleashed night theme in Night in Paris in addition of the Rhythm Thief main theme to distinguish it from the day theme. Overall, the town bits are very fun to listen to.

You've also got some remixes from Space Channel 5 and Samba de Amigo in here, so it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. The ending theme in the western version (Je te dis au revoir by Karie Kahimi) is a different song from the Japanese version (Story by Ai), but that’s alright.

Overall, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the soundtrack. Giving Paris a jazzy atmosphere was a nice decision on Ohtani and Hataya's parts. Also, the fact that all of this was performed with live instruments tickles my fancy.

Colours, Voice, and Art

I also loved how the 2D art for the backgrounds and characters looked. The artstyle employed for the characters was great. The art for the younger main characters like Charlie, Raphael, and Marie makes them pop out and stand out, particularly during cutscenes. The older folks’ artwork is very nice and rather detailed in its own way.

The backgrounds are lovely. The art for many of the world’s famous structures from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower, and the art for many of Paris’s streets is superb and very colourful. It was a joy to walk through Paris’s streets poking around for various objects (more on that in a minute) and chatting it up with various NPCs. It was even moreso of a pleasure at night, where I felt the art was a little better. The backgrounds aren’t really static because you could see clouds in the sky moving, fountains moving, or a plane moving in the background, so at least they have some sort of detail.

I cannot speak much for the 3D in the backgrounds or scenes because I cannot see 3D very well in general.

The voice acting… well, everyone who is not Vergier, Raphael, or Napoleon should probably take a back seat. Raphael’s English voice actor feels much better than the Japanese seiyuu by virtue of sounding a little bit like Michael Jackson, which someone pointed out to me. The character moves like MJ, so why not have him sound like him. It was good casting there. Vergier and Napoleon sounded rather authentic at times, so I have little problems with them. However, I can’t help but to feel a little disappointed that the localization crew didn’t inject more francophone into the game. Instead, they opted to have more British accents in the game, which… uh, makes it sound European, I guess. If they had used French accents for everyone, then we wouldn’t have gotten Raphael’s voice actor, so I guess it’s a decent tradeoff. But the British voice acting still sounds rather jarring when you’d expect some characters to be overtly Francophone.

On that note, Marie’s voice actress needed better direction or something because there were times when her line reading sounded absolutely lifeless. Sometimes it’s difficult to feel that the character is interested in what’s going on due to the voice actress’s performance. Disappointing.

Dancing Through the Streets with Technique

Rhythm Thief has an exploration aspect to its gameplay other than the obvious incorporation of rhythm games. In fact, sometimes it feels like the larger course of the game, particularly because you spend a lot of time picking apart the scenery in a Professor Layton-esque tapping-the-screen-to-find-stuff sort of way. Each portion of the map you come across will have hidden medals, hidden music discs, and hidden sheet music pieces.

Medals are the game’s version of currency, where you can go to a shop to purchase things like marathon levels, minigames you’ve missed during your adventure, or buffs for when you’re playing rhythm minigames. So they aren’t necessarily like hint coins that you’re going to hoard for the entire game.

Hidden sheet music pieces are found when putting together five music notes scattered throughout one of the game’s backgrounds. They’ll construct a picture, and you’ll be able to unlock a Bonus Chapter by putting them together.

Additionally, towards the beginning of the game, Raphael obtains a Sound Recorder. Click around on stuff like animals, boats, talk to NPCs, etc. and some sound effects will be recorded. You will sometimes need to do this in order to advance the story (ex: move a person out of the way by scaring them), but you can also record different sounds for an optional sidequest to construct an instrument, thereby leaving you to a Bonus Chapter.

Essentially, to find and unlock everything, you’ll have to waltz through SEGA’s colourful construction of Paris. Poking around can, yes, become rather tiresome, but if you’re in this thing as a completionist, it’s essential. I do have an issue with the world map, though, and that’s that advancing through can sometimes be overly linear. If you have an objective sometimes, some parts of the map are blocked off from you, or if you have an objective, the solution is highlighted on the map, leaving the player not having to put some thinking into the solution.

Dancing with Two Left Feet Through Minigames

And this is what most of us bought Rhythm Thief for—the rhythm gameplay. Throughout Rhythm Thief, the player will have to go through an assortment of rhythm minigames. Some will involve button presses, others will involve tapping the screen, others will involve using the gyro controls in the 3DS, and others will have a combination of two or three of these. This sort of makes gameplay flow rather oddly, and leaves the player wishing that the developers had merely stuck to one form of control here. It’s inconsistent for the most part.

There are some minigames such as Raphael having to hide behind statues to avoid sight from the guards, the ones involving shooting down enemies, the ones involving biting officers in the rear, where Raphael has to fence with an enemy, etc. are completely fine because the player has to adhere to some sort of rhythm. If you button-mash or something, you won’t always be successful in these cases. The minigames which involve stylus input are okay and not bothersome. They’re very fun when they work.

In order to pass through minigames you must achieve at least an E rank on the Groove Meter. The Groove Meter takes note of your steps and missteps and grades you accordingly during and after the round. Some bits of the ranking system may be considered rather difficult because sometimes one slip-up will mean disaster and possibly losing the round and having to do the entire thing over. Sometimes you’ll have a good score in the minigame, and slip up just once or twice, and you’ll end up having a really bad rank or having to do the sequence all over again.

The minigames which involve button input with the A/B/L/R buttons and D-pad work 50% of the time for me. I have to hammer very hard on the buttons in order for an input to be registered. I’ll have to note that I haven’t had to do this before with other games like Sonic Generations, Ocarina of Time 3D, Mighty Switch Force, etc, so I’m not sure what exactly is at fault here.

The biggest issue here is the gyro controls. They are horrible. They should never ever be in a rhythm game. They should never be anywhere near a rhythm game. If there is a Rhythm Thief sequel, the gyro controls should be nixed forever in favour of touch/stylus controls. The minigames which involve gyro controls are generally hit-and-miss, and you really need to thrust your system hard to get an input in. This doesn’t necessarily work in a rhythm game because when you’re recovering and noting the next action after you’ve tilted to the side, and the next action is another tilt you may not get there in time for a good tilt to register. This ends up making some boss fights and some optional games irritating to play. Never again.

The presentation of the minigames are generally very good and are basically eye candy for the player at times, especially because of the abundance and explosion of colour. When you aren’t concentrating on an indicator and watching some of the cutscenes between phases, it looks very nice.

There are some minigames which involve listening to notes and constructing something based on those notes, or listening to notes and pressing on the touch screen at an appropriate time or at points of the touch screen. These aren't very difficult, and they serve as minipuzzles. I suppose they were included to enhance the 'musicality' of the game.

If you’re having issues, you may purchase buffs from the shop prior to entering the rhythm sequence. The buffs include a Phoenix Down-like buff which will boost you back to a C rank if you’ve lost all of your groove, a buff that will make your Groove fill up faster, a buff that will decrease the speed and amount at which your Groove is lost, and finally, a buff which acts as a “one hit and you lose” sort of item.

As a note, if you get all A ranks with the minigames, you will unlock an extra chapter.

A Intriguing Narrative Which Loses Balance Towards the End of its Routine

Rhythm Thief tells the story of a young man named Tintin Raphael and his dog Milou Fondue. He’s a student by day and the smooth rhythmic criminal known as “Phantom R” by night, stealing pieces of art from the Louvre while throwing off guards’ scents by dancing up a storm. His main intention by doing this is to find a way to meet his father again. On his way back from his latest heist, he encounters the violinist Marie, striking a partnership with her on a quest to unlock the secret of a mysterious symbol while throwing off the scent of a revived Napoleon Bonaparte.

The narrative starts off on an intriguing foot at the beginning, and then halfway through, it begins taking the wrong twists and turns to make the game’s narrative become more and more dramatic and throwing in trope after trope after trope, culminating in a climax that I hadn’t anticipated and was unsure as to why it happened. Because of this, I feel like the game’s potential had been soured somewhat in an effort to pen a more fantasy-esque narrative. Other people have described exactly what I felt had been off at the end, and I am in full agreement. The buildup to the climax wasn’t orchestrated very well, and it felt as though many plot elements and characterization weren’t developed adequately at all. Raphael himself ends up feeling rather 1.5-dimensional because of the lack of character development on his part. Everyone else are generally actors who get to say their share of lines and call it a day.

The reason why the narrative and plot are getting criticized and focused upon here is because while it’s a rhythm game, the game’s design devotes quite a significant amount of itself to pulling a story along. While you can explore a map of a section of Paris, there generally is one endpoint or objective in each section of a chapter, and it is generally based on a part of the story which you must see and fulfill until you move on. It’s much like Layton in that regard. However, the craftsmanship and development behind the narrative isn’t as in-depth or specific as it should have been in order to evoke emotions or thought on the player’s behalf. Towards the end, it sort of felt like a Return of the King affair in that it didn’t know when to end as well.

It is clear that due to the cinematography and narrative-focused nature of the game that the player should be drawn into the narrative, but it doesn’t do its job in terms of character development or moving the plot along in a timely manner. Much of the mythos and affairs surrounding certain characters and objects are not cohesively explored and tied together, which hurts the narrative in general. It’s quite unfortunate and serves as a bit of a black mark on the entire affair.

So Do You Think the Rhythm Thief Can Dance?

This entire thing probably sounded a little negative, but the game isn’t really a bad game. It’s pretty solid and it can hold up on its own with some practice. It sort feels like a your-mileage-may-vary sort of affair sometimes. It looks good and it sounds great, but sometimes the minigames aren’t very fun, or they can sometimes be a little irritating to get through. The stylus-based minigames are absolutely excellent, and I enjoyed the callbacks to Space Channel 5 and Samba de Amigo in some of the minigames. Raphael has the capacity to be a good character, but needs better development, and maybe a better-constructed story, to highlight his good side. The bonus chapters are a nice addition to extend the narrative a bit with some minigames. Overall, the game is pretty decent, but it certainly isn't perfect.

On a personal front, though, I can’t help but to feel a little disappointed by the end of it. Sometimes it made me suspect that my launch 3DS might have some faults or may not have been broken in adequately, but I can’t help but to think this is not the case when I’ve played other 3DS games with little trouble. However, with everything said and done, I’m still happy to have bought and played the game because I’d been looking forward to it for months.

There is potential for a sequel, and I certainly hope there is one because SEGA at least has a step forward here. If they can make improvements upon the original formula, I’d certainly take a Rhythm Thief sequel.

Woah, that's like a full blown review right there, i'm going to suspect that your 3DS does have some button issues Schala, while they tend to be a bit clicky yours seem to be on a whole different level, I certainly didn't have issues with them in the other 3 games you mentioned.

Do you turn it side to side, or tilt it? You at least tilt it down for the cross chops, right?

I lean the 3DS forward for the cross chops, but the flashing yellow chops get me every time. I haven't quite figured out the timing yet. Glad you got though it.

Solid impressions, Schala. For the gyro games, swiping the screen with the stylus could have made those games more enjoyable. I actually think they're pretty fun, but the unreliable mechanic probably doesn't belong in a rhythm-focused game. I do give the developers props for trying it though.

Like you said, the music and visual design is fantastic. I'm occasionally down on some of the aspects you critiqued, but the main draws of the game have made it a pretty darn enjoyable experience so far. Speaking of the Samba de Amigo callback, this song is so good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Woah, that's like a full blown review right there, i'm going to suspect that your 3DS does have some button issues Schala, while they tend to be a bit clicky yours seem to be on a whole different level, I certainly didn't have issues with them in the other 3 games you mentioned.
Yeah, that's kind of what I suspected. The L-button, I know, works kind of wonky in this game. What's weird is that I didn't experience any of these issues when playing the other games I mentioned, so I wasn't sure.

Gives me more of a reason to invest in an XL, though (still might call up Nintendo of Canada to ask for a repair). I would prefer an XL because it's bigger and would make things easier to see if I decide to play without my glasses. You can easily transfer everything on your current 3DS to your XL right?

Solid impressions, Schala. For the gyro games, swiping the screen with the stylus could have made those games more enjoyable. I actually think they're pretty fun, but the unreliable mechanic probably doesn't belong in a rhythm-focused game. I do give the developers props for trying it though.

Like you said, the music and visual design is fantastic. I'm occasionally down on some of the aspects you critiqued, but the main draws of the game have made it a pretty darn enjoyable experience so far. Speaking of the Samba de Amigo callback, this song is so good.
The gyro for this game is a bit of a strange beast when you're coming off of something like Gravity Rush and OoT/Super Mario 3D Land. Gravity Rush is on an entirely different system where gyro seems to have been built in to be efficient, but at least the gyro on the 3DS games doesn't seem to be as strange as Rhythm Thief's. Oh well.

Again, gyro shouldn't be near a rhythm game because of timing --> use time --> recovery time --> timing --> use time --> recovery time. It makes things pretty wonky.

The Space Channel 5 sequences made me smile. Really liked them. And the game looks and sounds excellent here.

That's a pretty nifty review, pretty much sums up(ok sum may not be the best word for such a lengthy write up) everything I thought about the game, though I'd also add that didn't quite like how much they repeated each minigame.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks. GAF used to have a User Reviews thread somewhere around here, but it hasn't been bumped since 2011, so I dunno if posting reviews in there would be frowned upon or not. I used to browse that thread to gauge how people felt about games I was about to play.

I didn't really like the minigame repetition either, but it seems like they did it just so that with each repetition, the course gets more difficult. Of course, the main game minigames being used over and over (ex: the fight against the Chevaliers Diabolique, the minigames where you had to tap the buttons to jump on objects, etc) can get tiresome.

Another thing I had neglected to mention was the localization. As I had said before, I appreciate inserting some French terms and some English plays on phrases in the game (ex: toute suite --> toot sweet). Sometimes, and usually during voiced cutscenes, the text would be different from what is being said, which leads me to believe that either recording came first/last, or the voiced script was much different from the localized text script. Usually, the voiced script would be better than the text. But since you're generally paying attention to the top screen and listening to what's being said, it's not a problem. It's a little sloppy, though, and I wish more attention had gone to fixing that issue.

Yeah, that's kind of what I suspected. The L-button, I know, works kind of wonky in this game. What's weird is that I didn't experience any of these issues when playing the other games I mentioned, so I wasn't sure.

Gives me more of a reason to invest in an XL, though (still might call up Nintendo of Canada to ask for a repair). I would prefer an XL because it's bigger and would make things easier to see if I decide to play without my glasses. You can easily transfer everything on your current 3DS to your XL right?
I found the shoulder buttons to be the most responsive out of the buttons myself.

Regarding the transfer, i'm pretty sure it sends all things over, i'd assume it includes DLC, you'll just need to hold onto your original 3DS to make the transfer, then after that you can either get rid of the old or keep it for the most important task all Nintendo handhelds must fulfil, the trading of Pokemon with yourself somewhere down the line. (Or maybe that's just me)

Oh yeah the user reviews thread, it was kind of dead by the time I got here, a shame really.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Booted up Tales of the Abyss just now to see how the buttons were and they're working fine... Ah well. It's probably the case of having to press buttons consecutively and they aren't registering properly (even though consecutive presses seem to be working in Abyss).

I used Boney's tag to fix up the L-button during Rhythm Thief too, so I dunno.

I'd be happy to start a new User Reviews thread since I've seen lots of GAF members write up some lengthy stuff in OTs, only to be buried by posts and posts later on (and then having posts later in the thread asking, "hey gaf, is this game good?" even though you have a few user reviews on a few pages from earlier on in the thread). But that sort of thing seems like it should be mod-sanctioned. Plus the old User Reviews thread OP stopped getting updated after a while.

Thanks for the 3DS XL tip. I want to get one when they have some really good colours. I saw a DS XL on clearance in a store here (because the chain is closing down), but I'll wait for the 3DS XL instead (preferably in a colour I really want).

Man, I thought I was the only one who used multiple systems to trade Pokemon over. :lol

Edit: Ahahaha, this just got moved to Community.

I'm holding out hope for some sort of limited edition XL, i've had to watch over the years as many a limited edition GBA or DS went by unattained, this time though I will have my vengeance.

At first I think the User Reviews was a sticky thread, then for some reason it got un-stickied and was promptly lost down in the depths of gaming, i'm not sure I agree with that decision.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That seems like a good idea. I wanted the Zelda 25th Anniversary 3DS, but I'd already gotten a launch unit. I was considering importing an XL from Japan to play Japanese games, but that would be too costly. I kind of hope someone comes up with a way to play foreign-region games on a 3DS associated with a particular region as it's too expensive to invest in another region's system (ex: import markup, shipping, etc.).

But I wanna wait for a colour I want!

As for the reviews thread, I can't remember if it was stickied or not. It probably was in 2010, but by the time my account got approved, not a lot of people really posted in it anymore other than a few people. And I think Amir0x was the only one who was keeping that thread updated.

MicH

Woohoo, I finally got this and I must say - the soundtrack is soooo good! Might consider buying it on iTunes!

Phatcorns

Is there a reason why this game isn't heavily lauded as a fantastic 3ds game? Fucking just finished the first chapter and it's even better than I thought it would be based on the demo.

I mean, it actually has a real story with great music and cutscenes. Such a travesty that no one cares about this game.

olimpia84

Is there a reason why this game isn't heavily lauded as a fantastic 3ds game? Fucking just finished the first chapter and it's even better than I thought it would be based on the demo.

I mean, it actually has a real story with great music and cutscenes. Such a travesty that no one cares about this game.

Yeah, it's a great game and everybody that owns it seems to love it, but low shipments + no marketing + competing with FF Theatrhythm is killing it.

The ranking system in this game is garbage, and there are some frustrating controls. Its good, but it isn't fantastic.

Fun but flawed pretty much sums the game up for me, makes it kind of hard to recommend on the whole considering it's kind of niche to begin with.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

You're just done the first chapter so play a bit more to see if your initial opinion holds. It's a fun game, but as I described a few posts up in thorough detail, the game has its problems.

Sagitario

I have been playing this lately.
The soundtrack is fantastic, I love how catchy it is.

My favorites have been [so far]:
R04 Battle Diabolique
R07 Moon Princess <--- this song [and its mini game] is absolutely amazing. I love replaying this one.
R08 Destroyer Diabolique
R10 Charlie Takes the Field
R12 Napoleon's Hideout <--- this took me forever to get all perfect. I had to play it with my eyes closed, all by ear.

My only complains up until chapter 3: 1) I do find poking around to be rather tiresome (the area of action should be bigger), doesn't help I have to click every pixel (YAY OCD), 2) the loading and slow menu access and 3) I am too OCD and I try to get all perfect D: (I know this is my own issue :p)

I see people are having problem with the gyro mini games, but I have only encountered one so far and:

5bW4n.png

I am guessing there are more and those will be the real troublesome ones.

OMG Aero

I see people are having problem with the gyro mini games, but I have only encountered one so far and:

5bW4n.png

I am guessing there are more and those will be the real troublesome ones.
Oh yeah, that's the easy gyro game. Since you said you are looking to get perfects on all the games the other gyro ones are going to drive you insane.

Sagitario

Oh yeah, that's the easy gyro game. Since you said you are looking to get perfects on all the games the other gyro ones are going to drive you insane.

I think an A rank for those will be enough D:

Edit:

Samba Carnival
gUG0z.png

My complete lack of rhythm and diminished hearing don't stop me from enjoying this game :D

Damn, this game does seem interesting but those Gyro comments really put me off now, i might skip it after all... or wait until it goes cheaper, but it looks like it might go rare instead no? It's not available on the Eshop is it?

It's not on the eShop to my knowledge, and I'm guessing it had a small print run.

There is a demo on the eShop.

Thanks... yeah but that demo might not convince me since i read here that apparently the later Gyro games suck and are enough for some people to knock the game down a notch or two overall :(

olimpia84

Damn, this game does seem interesting but those Gyro comments really put me off now, i might skip it after all... or wait until it goes cheaper, but it looks like it might go rare instead no? It's not available on the Eshop is it?

Unless you want to get perfect ratings for each rhythm game then you shouldn't worry too much about the gyro controls. You can pass each game with a crappy score and keep progressing through the story normally.
If you really want this game get it soon though, it had a very small print.

Top Bottom