• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Emoji Movie' Criticized for "Tasteless" 'Handmaid's Tale' Tweet

Dalek

'Emoji Movie' Criticized for "Tasteless" 'Handmaid's Tale' Tweet

dfsuu6sv0aeeiia_-_h_2017.jpg

The now-deleted tweet drew ire from social media, with one fan tweeting, "did the marketing team not think this through?"

The Emoji Movie, which hits theaters July 28, is drawing criticism online for a questionable tweet parodying Hulu's hit dystopian series The Handmaid's Tale.

The tweet in question featured an emoji donned in a handmaid's robe with the caption, "A Smartphone Original: The Emoji's Tale." The tweet read, "Blessed be the Emoji."

Fans immediately reacted to the post, specifically the repressive nature of the show and its original text. The show, starring Elisabeth Moss, is set in a futuristic world in which government officials in a totalitarian society send young and fertile women known as the "handmaids" to wealthy families where they are forced to procreate for them.

One fan tweeted, "wait do emojis do that gross rape ritual or did the marketing team not think this through?"

Other people called for the film to delete its Twitter account, while others posted screenshots of their decision to block the film's account.

The Handmaid's Tale, which was recently nominated for 11 Emmy Awards, is based on the classic Margaret Atwood novel of the same name. The show returns for its sophomore season in 2018.

A rep for the film did not immediately return a request for comment.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Oh my god, who fucking cares. Godamn the Internet is annoying me today.

People were a mistake.

It's a stupid parody ad. Emojis don't endorse rape.

People are so stupid. When you hear the phrase "outrage culture," this is what they're talking about.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The show, starring Elisabeth Moss, is set in a futuristic world in which government officials in a totalitarian society send young and fertile women known as the "handmaids" to wealthy families where they are forced to procreate for them.

"Yea boys, THIS is what we wanna reference in our kid's movie marketing."

Jesus christ....this is racist psp ad levels of ridiculousness.

Sunster

i just wanna know why they gave the girl emojis full bodies and the guy emojis are just spheres with arms and legs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't know what anyone is getting upset over. I can't wait for the Hand Maiden's Tale infinite runner.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is like the Minions movie using 12 Years a Slave for marketing. Why would you even think to crossover a kids animated movie with a show that features rape...

I'm not caping for this ad, I already said it was stupid. It's poorly thought out and lazy. But it definitely doesn't warrant this level of outrage.

TBF, this is one of those "quote a dozen tweets from random people and present it as a real outrage" news articles. Both sides are overblown here.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm not caping for this ad, I already said it was stupid. It's poorly thought out and lazy. But it definitely doesn't warrant this level of outrage.
this level of outrage = the usual Twitter reply call-outs and an article about said replies?

It's not like people started boycott campaigns or anything, this is just another day on Twitter

ERotIC

Banned
This is like the Minions movie using 12 Years a Slave for marketing. Why would you even think to crossover a kids animated movie with a show that features rape...

Space Jam made a Pulp Fiction reference 20 years ago.

Let's not pretend kids movies haven't always snuck in adult-related references, although maybe not quite as direct and overt as this.

Dalek

I have to think that the people in charge of the marketing just knew it was a show on Hulu with a striking marketing campaign and had no idea of the actual content of the show.

zeemumu

I looked and the closest thing I could find was a still for a YouTube video called 12 Years a Minion, so I found a different serious film instead

Despicable-Me-2-Minions-Movie-Poster-Precious-620x874.jpg

Top Bottom