• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Manga News/Discussion |OT| Quality smut ahoy~

Manga News/Discussion |OT| Not yet adapted into anime~

Manga News/Discussion |OT| More realistic than the live action adaptation~

Gakuen Dangerous 17
It return! Bless you A***o. Crazier than ever i see. I can't believe the author write up Ninja skill only to immediately kill him.

Hai guys.

Time to spam post title suggestions for next thread. So sorry if you're asleep.

ColossalLazy says there has to be a ~ in every thread title, which is why I'm suggesting

Manga News/Discussion |OT_| Now Obama Approved

Where's the ~? Pfft.

Manga News/Discussion |OT| PBR-Sama Official Fanclub
Manga News/Discussion |OT| Thread for Arguing about Erina
Manga News/Discussion |OT| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!
Manga News/Discussion |OT| Pretty Much Everything got Adapted, Why are We Still Here

Kingdom 437

Ugh, Sei really chickened out. Disappointed. This will bite him in the ass later. Queen Mother is the least trustworthy person in the series, she will definitely go the "MY SONS ARE THE TRUE HEIRS" route in 20 years.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! 61-70

Why is it always molesters that push forward these relationships?

Manga News/Discussion |OT| PBR-Sama Official Fanclub
Manga News/Discussion |OT| Thread for Arguing about Erina
Manga News/Discussion |OT| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!
Manga News/Discussion |OT| Pretty Much Everything got Adapted, Why are We Still Here

Kingdom 437

Ugh, Sei really chickened out. Disappointed. This will bite him in the ass later. Queen Mother is the least trustworthy person in the series, she will definitely go the "MY SONS ARE THE TRUE HEIRS" route in 20 years.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! 61-70

Why is it always molesters that push forward these relationships?

fund it!

dani_dc

I have to say, one of the thing that I like about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run, is how characters no longer yell the names of their stands left and right, it really makes the story feel more grounded and less "manga/anime".

Kieli

I have to say, one of the thing that I like about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run, is how characters no longer yell the names of their stands left and right, it really makes the story feel more grounded and less "manga/anime".

Odd that you want JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, of all things, to be grounded.

Rhapsody

Banned

And I still haven't finished Part 5 for so long and now you're way past me.

rrvv

Manga News/Discussion |OT| We're all going to the prison
Manga News/Discussion |OT| Ch 160: No progress has been made

dani_dc

Odd that you want JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, of all things, to be grounded.

It's not so much that I want it to be more grounded, but that part 7 feels more grounded than any of the parts before due to several factors from the art to the way characters act, so it's a change that fits.

And I still haven't finished Part 5 for so long and now you're way past me.

Don't let Part 5 hold you back.
In fact you can skip over it and miss literally nothing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Manga News/Discussion |OT| ~NTR Appreciation Station~

Rhapsody

Banned
Forgot to say, I saw the director for the jojo anime there at the panel. He gave the boring answer of "what's your favorite jojo" with "whichever one I was working on at the time". But when asked what his favorite stand was, he said Gold Experience.

dani_dc

Forgot to say, I saw the director for the jojo anime there at the panel. He gave the boring answer of "what's your favorite jojo" with "whichever one I was working on at the time". But when asked what his favorite stand was, he said Gold Experience.

Golden Experience seemed like such an interesting Stand, still frustrates me that it basically turned into Crazy Diamond.

Nordicus

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! 61-70

Aah, so he treated her like a girl for onc-
GWASeRB.jpg
XxCqMiG.gif

It's not so much that I want it to be more grounded, but that part 7 feels more grounded than any of the parts before due to several factors from the art to the way characters act, so it's a change that fits.

Might be because it changed from a shounen to a seinen magazine. Plus I've always liked the dialogue in jojo. Even when the characters were saying something ridiculous there was always a natural quality to it.

LeleSocho

Banned
Manga News/Discussion |OTR| Creatively Bankrupt 2: Electric Bogaloo
Manga News/Discussion |OTR| Bankrupt Creativity

R stands for Rainbow

Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There!

So this is pretty trashy. Not that you didn't know it, it's basically the reason this is known for. It has

-military otaku pandering
-nationalistic pandering (go Japan!)
-literal otakus as main characters, several otaku references
-fanservice
-harem elements
-gothic lolita (but it's ok to want to bone her because she is truly 900 years old!)
-elves in both normal and dark skinned varieties
-monster girls
-gore
-rape
-etc

The quality in general of the writing itself is lacking, it really shows how this is the first work of the original author, and the author of the manga adaptation isn't a particular good or known mangaka. I don't know how it was in the novel, but in the manga I find irritating how disjointed was some times in-between chapters, where sometimes fairly important stuff is skipped. It's the opposite problem of slow paced stories where all feels too uncompressed.
The author don't know what genre or tone to use, if serious and realistic or light and comedic. It tries to be both, with bad results, as they clash a lot. Even without the clashing going on, he lacks of the needed care and gravitas for the more serious and dramatic situations.

For example, he was trying to be gritty here. Show how it's a medieval world with all the horror that conveys: war, famine, rape, women doing anything to survive... but instead it came off as wrong and exploitative and just not very serious.

That said, it actually has some redeeming features. While I said the writing isn't very good, it's more in specific chapters, in fact after the first two volumes it improves in quality to acceptable levels, the general arc of the plot is fairly interesting and of course the concept is original, it has some interesting twists and even if this at first seems a silly "let's watch how tanks blow up fantasy romans easily" the most well done parts are the diplomacy and the political manoeuvring chapters. the spies and traitors, etc.
I like some details about how the author don't hide how Japan isn't super friendly and innocent, they want mining concessions and they are doing geological surveys, in other words of course they want to exploit the land to their benefit.

I actually like Gate, it isn't as bad for me as you say it is.

Definitely a lot of typical LN bullshit in it though, but it's a fun read at least.

Puruzi

Banned

So this is pretty trashy. Not that you didn't know it, it's basically the reason this is known for. It has

-fanservice
-harem elements
-gothic lolita (but it's ok to want to bone her because she is truly 900 years old!)
-monster girls
-gore
-rape
-etc

fuck

Well, done by the bad guys of course, not that different from other gritty fantasies likes Berserk.

If this was truly serious and realistic and gritty and the author had balls he would dealt with some Japanese soldiers abusing the natives as there are rotten apples in every army and nation, but of course it doesn't go there. Japanese soldiers = good guys, here.

Shengar

-fanservice
-harem elements
-monster girls
-gore
-rape
-etc

The quality in general of the writing itself is lacking, it really shows how this is the first work of the original author, and the author of the manga adaptation isn't a particular good or known mangaka. I don't know how it was in the novel, but in the manga I find irritating how disjointed was some times in-between chapters, where sometimes fairly important stuff is skipped. It's the opposite problem of slow paced stories where all feels too uncompressed.
The author don't know what genre or tone to use, if serious and realistic or light and comedic. It tries to be both, with bad results, as they clash a lot. Even without the clashing going on, he lacks of the needed care and gravitas for the more serious and dramatic situations.

For example, he was trying to be gritty here. Show how it's a medieval world with all the horror that conveys: war, famine, rape, women doing anything to survive... but instead it came off as wrong and exploitative and just not very serious.

That said, it actually has some redeeming features. While I said the writing isn't very good, it's more in specific chapters, in fact after the first two volumes it improves in quality to acceptable levels, the general arc of the plot is fairly interesting and of course the concept is original, it has some interesting twists and even if this at first seems a silly "let's watch how tanks blow up fantasy romans easily" the most well done parts are the diplomacy and the political manoeuvring chapters. the spies and traitors, etc.
I like some details about how the author don't hide how Japan isn't super friendly and innocent, they want mining concessions and they are doing geological surveys, in other words of course they want to exploit the land to their benefit.

This is a good and fair review, especially the last paragraph. Not that will make me watch the show or read manga, at least it is not as bad as I think.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul :re 35

Haha, that ending. Uta gives no fucks.
It took Kaneki way too long to get there.

Suzya got some super, robotic leg after the owl battle but it seems like Kijima is rocking about with a simple wooden pegleg. In a job that requires extraordinary level of physical fitness. Okay

Can't quite make out if Ihe is another quinx or is that just her quinque. Probably the latter.

Kanae-Tsukiyama drama leaves me cold.

Nisekoi 177

What is this manga I'm reading cause it sure as hell isn't Nisekoi.

Can't wait to see how the author will troll his way out of this one.

Turok_TTZ

Why can't I get a girlfriend? 59

Being this guy is suffering and I don't why I am still reading this. He needs to hit up the girl with glasses bad. Not looking forward to kazuki if toudouin is any indication. So much suffering.

Tomo-chan is a girl! 1-70

I didn't know I wanted this but now I need more of this.

Usagi Drop 1-END

Was a very interesting read. Ending was... I'm not sure what to say but would read again.

Quasar

The rape and super nationalistic tone is what turns me off with the Gate. Hopefully they tone those down in the anime.

Having grown up on a diet of super nationalistic us media, I have to admit that doesnt bother me so much. From the show least it just makes me think of Stargate. And I think I'm reacting the same way if the soldiers were us marines or something. But hey the anime might be super cleaned up, and episode 1 was all setup.

Quasar

Girls of the Wilds 197 - Man DalDals constant hammering of Queen makes me wonder whether this is going to totally break the four up or at least permanently break whatever relationship DalDal had with Queen. She really is acting awfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom