• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Chairhome

Uh, right... we are "trying" to play the game. It's buggy as shit. It's amazing how horrible performance is in DX11 mode. It's inexcusable.

my bad, for some reason i thought you were one of the guys that was waiting for a region unlock. I would suggest trying dx9 though, it seems to be the way to go until a patch comes out.

my bad, for some reason i thought you were one of the guys that was waiting for a region unlock. I would suggest trying dx9 though, it seems to be the way to go until a patch comes out.

My problem is the fact that we are promised a definitive version (DX 11 support), and we get it, and it runs so poorly it's not even a viable option for anyone. Yes, DX9 runs much better (still doesn't seem great), but it's not the level of quality I was expecting.

inky

For what it's worth the game looks pretty good on DX9 and Batman AA was my GOTY, so I can stomach this stuff for now... but it doesn't bode well for me acquiring other WB games in the future.

Dipswitch

You need to go to the binaries folder and you will find the launcher exe in there.

I believe there's a setup file in the Batman act directory. Not 100% sure but i thought I saw something while I was searching for the launcher.

Yup - running bmlauncher.exe from the binaries\win32 directory sorted me out. Thanks.

On another note, is ambient occlusion worth keeping on? I'm getting an average of 42 fps on my rig with it and everything else maxed out @1080p. Turning it off yields approx another 8-10 fps.

I'm inclined to leave it be, as anything over 30fps is fine with me. But if the benefits of AO are largely unnoticeable, I'm cool with flipping it off.

Derrick01

Banned
Well Steam finished downloading the 1.8gb it apparently forgot to download but I still can't get past the title screen. The audio on the nvidia logo is really choppy too. I'm about to just ask for a refund.

For those with an AMD+Nvidia hybrid setup, I just figured out how to make sure the game uses the dedicated Physx card. Simply go into:

F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\batman2\Binaries\Win32

And cut and paste the following files into a backupfolder:

PhysxCooking.dll
Physxcore.dll
PhysxDevice.dll

It was inspired by the Alice physx fix.

try just renaming the device DLL and let me know if that works.

burgerdog

Even in dx9 the game is managing to look a lot better than the alternatives.

batdx9e9pgu.jpg

Only going to link the following shot since it might be considered a spoiler, however, it's only about five minutes into the game if you're feeling curious and want to see it.
http://www.abload.de/img/batdx9-1ibrha.jpg

Uh, right... we are "trying" to play the game. It's buggy as shit. It's amazing how horrible performance is in DX11 mode. It's inexcusable.

Luckily I literally have to look for the visual differences between DX11 and DX9.

Honestly, it's not a game that's going to push any graphical envelopes anyway, so I don't care one way or the other if it has DX11. It never appears to offer much other than a swift kick in your framerate's nuts.

(._.)

Banned
how buggy is this game? I got a steam code for it. gonna try and get a refund from GMG which I am already entitled too.

Derrick01

Banned
Alright well I finally got the game working but all I did was turn fraps off. Ironically if I turn it on when the game's running it will work.

And while it says I'm getting 60fps the camera kinda stutters and the animations are a little weird, makes it look like it's only running around 40.

Nekofrog

Banned
So, who still thinks that they delayed the PC version just so that the console version would sell more after this wretched abortion of a launch?

Anyone?

Lime

the ToggleFlyCam and ToggleHUD commands work. Simply edit the userinput inis in the C:\Users\*username*\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\BmGame\Config with the following command:

Code:
.Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="ToggleHUD", Control=False, Shift=False, Alt=False)

I use F12 as the key.

Example:
batmanac2011-11-2220-szumv.png

masterkajo

I used the link a couple pages back to install the game in steam. So far I have 3.5GB/16GB downloaded. The game won't release here until Friday though. Anyone know if I will be able to play it before or if I have to wait until Friday (without using VPN)? Also there won't be a problem like that steam doesn't regonize the game (because I didn't download it via the "Install" button) and I have to redownload it again?

(._.)

Banned
Check the GMG thread, there is a guy who has been trying to get a refund but has been unsuccessful.

thing is they said it was refunded a month ago yet sent me a key anyway.....

I'll check my statement when I get home to see if I was charged back.

Dipswitch

Yup...and unless I'm mistaken, the game has to be launched from capsule as well..I hope I'm wrong..

Update - Looks like you can launch the game directly from the application binaries or desktop shortcuts you make yourself. Capsule doesn't even need to be running.

Pretty pleased I can avoid dealing with that program after the install.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
sigh...took long to install...took long to join the files...took long to decrypt the files...took long to 'unzip' the files...taking long to install...

So DD over physical? :'(

at about 45% now.

I'm actually a bit relieved that the game is performing poorly. I think I'll wait for a patch before I download it, even though I bought it months ago. I'm still not done being the god-damned Dovahkiin.

Regarding the GMG stuff, I ordered back in August and I could swear it said it was Steamworks on the product page then. Can anyone back me up on that (seems like everyone who has said ordered it September) or have I conflated that with the many confirmations that came around the time that said it would be Steamworks?

Regarding the GMG stuff, I ordered back in August and I could swear it said it was Steamworks on the product page then. Can anyone back me up on that (seems like everyone who has said ordered it September) or have I conflated that with the many confirmations that came around the time that said it would be Steamworks?
I ordered in August as well and don't recall any mention of Steam...

abuC

2 GTX 580s here, one being used for PhysX and Im getting an average of 59fps, everything at it's highest setting with DX11 off, that bad boy turns the game into a slide show (4fps lol).

JADS

I used the link a couple pages back to install the game in steam. So far I have 3.5GB/16GB downloaded. The game won't release here until Friday though. Anyone know if I will be able to play it before or if I have to wait until Friday (without using VPN)? Also there won't be a problem like that steam doesn't regonize the game (because I didn't download it via the "Install" button) and I have to redownload it again?

I just downloaded the entire game and it is still encrypted. So no dice without using a VPN.

Derrick01

Banned
The game has a lot of random stuttering going on even after tinkering with settings. I have a 470, this shouldn't be happening much. Even with AA off, physx off, ambient occlusion and reflections off it still stutters pretty frequently. From what I've played the actual game isn't that great either, I'm already finding myself bored flying around the city.

the ToggleFlyCam and ToggleHUD commands work. Simply edit the userinput inis in the C:\Users\*username*\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\BmGame\Config with the following command:

Code:
.Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="ToggleHUD", Control=False, Shift=False, Alt=False)

Cheers for this. I haven't downloaded the game fully yet, but once it's out this Friday, I'll be glad to take screenshots without having the camera attached.

Does anyone know if the Tiledshot function works with the game? I could do it for Dark Void and it created marvelously detailed pictures. Since this is the same engine, it *should* work.

Mrbob

Yeah DX11 is worthless right now. Is there a 30FPS cap option available?

My frame rate jumps between about 35 and 60 in the city while playing the game in DX9. Just rather cap it off at 30.

Derrick01

Banned

My frame rate jumps between about 35 and 60 in the city while playing the game in DX9. Just rather cap it off at 30.

Yeah this. I'd rather just have 30 if it can't maintain 60. I don't mind some stuttering but it's happening like every 20 seconds for me. I think I may need to send in my GPU though, it's not performing as well as it should in a lot of games lately.

Ah, I came to this thread to see if anyone else had issues with DX11. I thought it was really weird that my GPU was barely being taxed while DX11 had massive issues with framerate drops and hiccups. Even Dragon Age 2's DX11 mode worked much way better than this at launch.

This is especially surprising considering just how close Rocksteady works with nVidia with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City to really flesh out the 3D Vision support and PhysX support.

Blizzard

Banned

With most UE3 games, you should be able to look in your documents/games folder, find the INI files, and edit the engine one to lower the framerate cap. I forget the name of the max frame rate variable, but it should be in there somewhere.

Ifrit

Yeah I did. There's something with the game itself that causes insane stuttering in DX11 right now. It's really not playable IMO.

That sucks

Well, I'm still waiting for the download to finish (it may take a couple of days o_o ) hopefully there's some kind of fix by then

EDIT: But Seriously, not having a preload period was not cool, feelsbadman.jpg

mr stroke

odd performance-

Everything maxed with Dx11-5fps on cut scenes(wtf why?) and 10fps-45fps everywhere else, its playable but very choppy.

Everything maxed with Dx9-60fps locked, smooth as butter.

i52500k+ATI 6990 w/ 11a drivers

Really weird that the fps goes down during cut scenes of all places.

Overall the game looks awesome in either Dx9 vs Dx11. Miles better than the 360 version. Beautiful game all around.

LaneDS

Phew, kind of relieved to see others having issues too. Fired it up between work and class and was kind of amazed at how badly it performed with my setup (which is only a few months old)... thought I might have some hardware issue at first.

Disappointing, but hopefully they'll patch it in a reasonable amount of time. Might just do DX9 if they take too long though, as waiting an extra month was difficult enough.

Mrbob

With most UE3 games, you should be able to look in your documents/games folder, find the INI files, and edit the engine one to lower the framerate cap. I forget the name of the max frame rate variable, but it should be in there somewhere.

Yeah I found it in the default engine.

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=24
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62
MaxDeltaTime=0.0416666

Changed the max to 30.

MNC

Fucked up the preload, game looked like it wasn't installed, tried the steam//install link after removing the files again. Then I noticed the files were 16GB, so it DID finish preload. Now I can't preload again :/ Clientregistry.blob and restarting doesn't work.

Jubbly

I've seen the game running flawlessly in DX11 on high-end AMD/NVIDIA GPUs via a WB rep for work, so the 5fps performance on tri-580 SLI in the Steam launch version has to be a bug they've somehow missed.

Really, incredibly sloppy considering all the delays.

Nelo Ice

Banned
What setting is everyone running on a gtx 460 and a 2500k at stock? Getting severe fps drops when gliding around the city on DX9 with everything maxed out and 4x msaa.

Top Bottom