• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Omega DLC - 1.99GB size, not available for Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EC after seeing that DLC is a late update on Wii U maybe those ME3 DLCs are not ruled out just months late as Stump points out.

those are some large downloads I am kinda surprised by them.

Any word on costs?

Absolutely. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of support eventuates when the update rolls out. Personally, I think it's embarrassing that there's no DLC framerwork to the store and OS at launch. But whatever.

Download sizes shouldn't surprise you. It's pretty common for asset heavy packs to be hitting 1GB+ in terms of data, especially if they've got lots of audio.

Price is US$14.99 on PS3, so I figure it will be the same for Wii U, if it ever gets released.

Not available AT LAUNCH for the Wii U or will it be available at a later date?

I just heard about TVii,Hulu,etc... being delayed so this may be a similar thing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not available AT LAUNCH for the Wii U or will it be available at a later date?

Not available at launch, certainly because Nintendo has no framework to support it. No confirmation of it coming later.

Absolutely. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of support eventuates when the update rolls out. Personally, I think it's embarrassing that there's no DLC framerwork to the store and OS at launch. But whatever.

Download sizes shouldn't surprise you. It's pretty common for asset heavy packs to be hitting 1GB+ in terms of data, especially if they've got lots of audio.

Price is US$14.99 on PS3, so I figure it will be the same for Wii U, if it ever gets released.

I think this must have been the hardest launch for Nintendo ever, they never had to put this much together. 3DS did not get all the stuff it has on day 1.

I am going to keep hoping I did not waste money on ME3

my love for any type of RPG is my downfall in gaming

RedSwirl

The comments over at Polygon theorize that Nintendo specifically requested just one "core" game from BioWare (or just EA in general) and they just decided to throw Nintendo a bone with ME3. If that's true, then in my opinion either the first Mass Effect or Dragon Age Origins would've been better choices, DAO especially for the GamePad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The comments over at Polygon theorize that Nintendo specifically requested just one "core" game from BioWare (or just EA in general) and they just decided to throw Nintendo a bone with ME3. If that's true, then in my opinion either the first Mass Effect or Dragon Age Origins would've been better choices, DAO especially for the GamePad.

Well, StraightRight's interview with Gamasutra kind of implies they pitched the port to EA repeatedly:

Gamasutra said:
Gamasutra: Can you explain a bit more about how you ended up with a deal to develop Mass Effect 3 on Wii U? How is development coming along, and what have been some design challenges?

TC: I love BioWare and have always wanted to work with them; those guys are my heroes. Nintendo and Epic were also involved in the early discussions -- both companies with whom we have a close relationship. So after a couple of months of relentless pressure on my part, I finally convinced BioWare that we were the right choice to nurse their baby. We spent a lot of time talking them through how we would approach the project and I suppose we were able to point to a few past successes. It was a real coup for us.

The game is pretty much done. We're fixing bugs at present, and applying that final layer of polish. In terms of design challenges, the biggest challenge, to be honest, was not screwing it up. It's a great game on its original formats and we needed to ensure we didn't break anything.

So from our perspective we turned to the hardware and asked ourselves what we could do with the Wii U controller that might elevate the gameplay experience. We handled the thing gently, and I feel like the stuff we've implemented gels extremely well. We made the power wheel interactive along with the level maps, and you can give orders to squad mates via the map on the GamePad.
Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/180212/how_one_studio_saved_itself_from_.php

That said, ME3's version of UE3 is also the closest to the version of UE3 that Epic ported to the Wii U, and Mass Effect 3 is the only recent internal EA game built on the engine.

Fox Mulder

Wii U just constantly getting the shit end of the stick with ME3 innit?

Mass effect is a huge disappointment to me as a franchise, but EA shitting on the WiiU is pretty annoying. If people buy their shitty ports, EA will think they can get away with them. If no one does, they'll blame the sales on no audience and give the console weak support.

Glass Joe

Why start with day 1? This is frankly something Nintendo should have been ready circa early to mid 2007. What's that? Day ... uh... -2050?

I'm fine with Wii U not having DLC rolled out until December. Otherwise whatever available crap should have been on the damned retail disc anyway. Not that I'd buy Mass Effect 3 U at full price (or its DLC) anyway.

Jac_Solar

Couple of updates.

- Mike Gamble has stated the Omega DLC will be 1.99GB on Xbox LIVE. For comparison, Leviathan is 1.65GB.

So, 10 more minutes of weirdly decoded/compressed videos? Or Music? Music video? Commercials? Infomercials?

Remove the videos and fluff from modern video games, and you'll notice that the sizes aren't as radically different from decade old video games like you would think.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Someone edit this with WiiU please

LRd1T.jpg

RedSwirl

Well, StraightRight's interview with Gamasutra kind of implies they pitched the port to EA repeatedly:

Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/180212/how_one_studio_saved_itself_from_.php

That said, ME3's version of UE3 is also the closest to the version of UE3 that Epic ported to the Wii U, and Mass Effect 3 is the only recent internal EA game built on the engine.

Yeah, they should've just chosen a better BioWare game (or core-focused EA game that runs on UE3. Hmm...).

FatCat

Terrible, I hope EA get their act together. And you'd think they'd be all over charging people for extra DLC...

netBuff

Terrible, I hope EA get their act together. And you'd think they'd be all over charging people for extra DLC...

If anything, this thread is a great indicator on who actually reads the discussion and who just comments.

I don't think people should expect to get DLC for ME3 even after Nintendo has put the infrastructure in place in December, as this port probably isn't going to sell many units. And even if it does well, late DLC probably wouldn't pull huge numbers to make a port worthwhile to EA.

This console's operating system seems extremely rushed, considering we first learned about the system in 2011. What the hell has Nintendo been doing in the meantime?

I've yet to try any of the ME3 DLC, but I remember the ME2 content being fantastic. Overlord was one of my favorite missions of the entire game. Might pick this and Leviathan up sometime soon if the reception is good.

Having just finished ME3. It was a crime to have Leviathan as DLC. "
They even showed you a message from a Prothean at the end of the game; for god's sake, why couldn't the messenger been the same fucking Prothean you found?
Plus I rocked Dominate(DLC ONLY); had DLC ONLY Javik(whom I could not respec for whatever reason) and equipped everyone in my party with the Prothean Assault Rifle(DLC ONLY). Without Leviathan, there is a lot less Mass Effect 3 fun for me.

I expected similar things from Omega... and was absolutely underwhelmed. It is nowhere near as rewarding as Leviathan(Hard to be when it is looking more and more like it was yanked out of the main game). The new enemies are fun, especially the "in-yo-face" dudes, but it is a bit short in my opinion. I was holding hope for new stores/ new hub; I did skip the story and paid the price by not getting Aria to bed:
All I had to do is let her kill the guy at the end right? I really loved how the Renegade choices with Aria seem to have resonated with me more than Paragon, just like it was when dealing with Jack in 2.

Any cool new items or gun in there? I didn't really take notice.

I've yet to try any of the ME3 DLC, but I remember the ME2 content being fantastic. Overlord was one of my favorite missions of the entire game. Might pick this and Leviathan up sometime soon if the reception is good.

Game should not be played without Leviathan IMHO. My favorite power, favorite gun, favorite party member all come from it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Game should not be played without Leviathan IMHO. My favorite power, favorite gun, favorite party member all come from it.

Er... you do know that the Prothean Particle Rifle and the Prothean squadmate come from From the Ashes DLC and not Leviathan right?

FyreWulff

I remember buying a console at launch in 2005 that had this online stuff sorted out...

360 didn't properly do background downloading at launch but had DLC.

Wii U does proper background download (including title updates), but doesn't have DLC.

Both were fixed shortly after launch.

Eh.

Also, EA went right up to that 360 2GB limit on this one.

So, 10 more minutes of weirdly decoded/compressed videos? Or Music? Music video? Commercials? Infomercials?

Remove the videos and fluff from modern video games, and you'll notice that the sizes aren't as radically different from decade old video games like you would think.

Mass Effect has tons of voice acting at high quality. That's gonna take space. Yeah, older console games had VA, but it was compressed to shit and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom