• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q2 Results

Takao

Banned
No it won't. It will boost sales of Vita and then devs will be more inclined to develop for the system. Look at this weeks MC sales, Idolmaster on PSP, nothing on Vita.

3DS is closer to PSP in power than Vita is, and has a much larger userbase.

Uh, a GTA game is the best selling PSP game ever...

It outsold Monster Hunter?

They're wanting to mask Vita's sales while being consistent about how they treat home console sales.

Certainly PS3 sales don't need masking. If you think it's PS2 sales that are 'the good half' of those home console sales...well...look at total PS2 sales in the same period last year (3.8m). It's not much of a guess that PS3 sales be the bigger part of those home console numbers.

They may not need masking now but with the WiiU launching and a real 360 price cut soonish while the PS3 price remains high I can them them prepping to mask numbers now so it isn't as obvious later in the year.

I can see Japanese sales basically disappearing for PS3 after WiiU hits the region.

The only thing left to fear is fear itself. Weren't ppl making a big deal how PS3 was outselling 360 for this year?

And last year. Wow, almost exactly one year ago. Thread was made on 10/29/11

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450142

Meanwhile in Japan Panasonic is forecasting an other 10 billion $ loss for the FY and Sharp said that at this point they're facing survival issues meaning that they could go bankrupcy if things don't get better quickly.

What game system do they make?

Certainly PS3 sales don't need masking. If you think it's PS2 sales that are 'the good half' of those home console sales...well...look at total PS2 sales in the same period last year (3.8m). It's not much of a guess that PS3 sales be the bigger part of those home console numbers.

I didn't mean that, just that PS3 sales are probably a bit disappointing, especially YoY. I don't know for sure though and that's the real point of my comment; hiding information is rarely a good move for investor confidence.

Miles X

The disposal of their chemical division let them made an Operating Income of $388 Mio. in Q2. But after the financial write-offs (losses in currency conversion) they made a Net Loss of $198 Mio.

Do you know where they stand overall so far this FY?

Do you know where they stand overall so far this FY?

04_image.jpg

This quarter they have launched a number of high profile, high priced products so it should produce a very strong Q3.

For Q3 Sony will book the Xperia T, Xperia V, PS3-4000, RX1, NEX6, A99 and the HX950 flagship TV (all of these products are high margin).

jvm

Gamasutra.
I think 10M is achievable, they still have two quarters to go and possibly a PSV price cut in early 2013. Also, NPD Nov will be crucial for Vita.

OMG. :lol :lol: :lol
Let's just be clear, here. Without Madden, Vita would have been 45K in September (my estimates). October data is about to come out, and I really don't see the catalysts to drive it back above 50K again.

It will have crawled across the 800K line after eight full months on the market.

I simply don't see sales in the U.S. as being anything but marginally helpful.

Next year will be too late to start money hatting developers. It's already treading water now, games that won't be out for a few years won't do anything to help the vita.

Why would MS discontinue the 360? This is a pretty big myth really. The original xbox was a huge moneysink that was selling shit house and that's why MS canned it. The 360 is showing good legs and making a very healthy profit, they have no reason to do that again.

The reason the PS2 is still on the market selling so well is because there is demand for it and sony is still making money off it. There is no difference between them, they will both continue to support their current console until it stops making them money.

The fact that it has been 4 years just makes me think MS don't want to drop the price. I have been expecting it for a long time but i'm not sure it will happen.

Yes there is. Have you ever wondered why PS3 is available in more markets than X360 or Wii? Because it's easier and cheaper for Sony to bring and sell their consoles in smaller markets as they already have distribution network in those countries because they are global electronics company. It's pretty much given that Sony will continue to sell PS3 longer than MS will X360.

Miles X

04_image.jpg

This quarter they have launched a number of high profile, high priced products so it should produce a very strong Q3.

For Q3 Sony will book the Xperia T, Xperia V, PS3-4000, RX1, NEX6, A99 and the HX950 flagship TV (all of these products are high margin).

Thanks, looks like they cna profitable for the FY then, what are they expecting (In $)

Thanks, looks like they cna profitable for the FY then, what are they expecting (In $)

About $250m according to their estimates, our internal estimate at the bank is more bullish but City expectations are lower at break even.

Anything over $100m loss should be considered a good year for the company.

Before it derails completly.

What does that mean? Particularly, "net income attributable to noncontrolling interests"?

After seeing Sony's numbers, I feel very bad for Panasonic.

Meanwhile in Japan Panasonic is forecasting an other 10 billion $ loss for the FY and Sharp said that at this point they're facing survival issues meaning that they could go bankrupcy if things don't get better quickly.

A little OT, but I really see PC and SHCAY being forced to merge with someone fairly soon. Maybe even Sony, Toshiba, or Mittsubishi, either that or bankruptcy.

PC 5.19 -0.34 (-6.15%) 12.00B
SHCAY 1.81 -0.31 (-14.62%) 1.98B

Indeed they should be doing that right now with actual big games coming out next year.
My feeling btw is that Sony internally has already conceded that dedicated handhelds are dead. They have no interests in bleeding money to keep alive a single product when they can make money by selling contents and games on mobiles.
With PS3 for example the situation was completely different, they made huge investements, they had to make Blu Ray a success, so they invested to make it a success no matter what. Vita won't get that treatment, it will end up like a Gamecube.

If they are going to try to revive it they are doing it now (i.e. games, planned price cuts, planned new SKUs, etc). They said the OS can be easily ported to other devices and I can't help but feel they would need a tablet and phone SKU and go the iOS/android route. The market has shifted significantly in the west and even the 3DS is not setting the world on fire here, even with the great lineup and price it has. What I'm saying is, a couple of revisions down the line and the PSV3000 would have different, more powerful chips and RAM inside of it and would have exclusive games that would not be playable on the launch vita. Much like some games can't be played on the original iphone.

My gut feeling though is that they are gonna let the vita die, slowly.

You pay taxes based on income, not on profit.

Thanks

A little OT, but I really see PC and SHCAY being forced to merge with someone fairly soon. Maybe even Sony, Toshiba, or Mittsubishi, either that or bankruptcy.

PC 5.19 -0.34 (-6.15%) 12.00B
SHCAY 1.81 -0.31 (-14.62%) 1.98B

If any of those companies will merge it will be Sony and Toshiba as their interests don't overlap too much.

Miles X

Did Sony forecast PS3 for 13m this FY? Or did I dream that? I vividly remember it being 1m lower than what they achieved the previous year which was 14m.

If so, they're already down 1m, why are they expecting to be flat/up over the holidays with a weaker line up and no price cut (last year had one no less) and increased competition. I think it'll fall short of their expectations.

If any of those companies will merge it will be Sony and Toshiba as their interests don't overlap too much.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but doesn't Sony and Toshiba have pretty much the same interests as Panasonic and Sharp? I.e. user products, TVs, etc?

After I posted that I saw that Sharp has publicly stated that they are considering alliances with other companies and they might not survive on their own.

Shouldn't the game division be losing money if Sony is prepping PS4? Maybe I am just wrong on that. But when Q1 results came out and the division lost money, people blamed PS4 and Vita.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There was some obvious GAFFER analyst up on their conference call asking about Playstation and fishing for next generation stuff etc. :p

The answer was the usual line but he followed up more specifically asking how important it was for Sony to be first to market with a new platform.

The answer was kind of meandering but it was:

Generally speaking, first to market, I would say is not unimportant, it is important. It was more so in past platforms, but in future platforms the more important thing is what kind of services, applications, what type of new enjoyment can be realised on this new platform. Now this has been tough for us for 15, 16, 17 years but with the network business becoming a major part of the gaming business, this new service, this new application gives a much more wider, I would say, scope than the past packaged based games. So to answer your question, first to market is important, but more important is what type of services and new enjoyment that you can bring to the market.

So...umm...yeah.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but doesn't Sony and Toshiba have pretty much the same interests as Panasonic and Sharp? I.e. user products, TVs, etc?

After I posted that I saw that Sharp has publicly stated that they are considering alliances with other companies and they might not survive on their own.

Toshiba are bigger in industrial products and semiconductors, their consumer facing side is tiny compared to Sony or Panasonic.

A merger between Sony and Toshiba makes a lot of sense.

Sharp are too stupid to admit their mistakes (selling large screen TVs at commodity prices in the US to gain market share) and since the rest of the Japanese industry told them that they were making a mistake they are going to go bankrupt. The Japanese government will block any proposed merger or capitalisation from China and prefer bankruptcy to selling out corporate and tech secrets with China.

Oersted

I'm pretty sure it's the Vita numbers they're ashamed of. They probably combined the console sales as well to make it look like it was a new way of reporting things, not just tryng to hide Vita sales. PS3 is doing fine.

Sony shipped 2,6 Millions units less of PS2/PS3 compared to last year.

So...umm...yeah.

Man, I'm fluent in management fudging speak, but even I can't get much of anything out of that statement.

Translated:

Yeah, first to market is important, but we're not going to beat MS. We're going to bet on undefined network services instead.

Meaning:

They expect to launch PS4 in 2014, and PSN will be pay to play like XBL.

Where's your proof? In actual fact last Q PS2 was down only 0 - 0.3m YOY. This Q we have no idea.

I said probably, most of those sales are in traditionally less affluent markets where the PS2 is way more affordable but I would guess Sony is pushing the PS3 more heavily in those markets now. Also, typically older hardware sales increase decline quite rapidly instead of being on a linear slope. Of course you can say the same thing towards the other side of the argument as there is no proof this isn't true.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAZ lightly touched on some next-gen-y stuff in the Japanese conference too towards the end.

Just talked about how in the mid-term the business model is changing to one where people play games over the internet, and that they acquired Gaikai with a view to that, and that it can be used for existing PS devices as well as other devices.

And how from an R&D expenditure point of view, for future platforms, it's totally different from PS2 and PS3 days where you would make a huge chipset investment - that for the future they will leverage existing technology, and not doing everything from scratch themselves.

So kind of same-old, same-old messaging...but I thought it was interesting he started talking about this in an answer to a question that didn't really have much to do directly with that.

You can always estimate intelligently.

PS2 sales:
July-Sept 2011: 1.2M
Oct-Dec 2011: 0.9M
Jan-Mar: .06M

From here on the PS2 and the PS3 sales were combined.

If we give the PS2 the benefit of the doubt and say the console sold 1M units. That means the PS3 is at 2.5M units this quarter. I highly doubt that the PS2 sold more consoles this quarter than it did last holiday season.

Miles X

You can always estimate intelligently.

PS2 sales:
July-Sept 2011: 1.2M
Oct-Dec 2011: 0.9M
Jan-Mar: .06M

From here on the PS2 and the PS3 sales were combined.

If we give the PS2 the benefit of the doubt and say the console sold 1M units. That means the PS3 is at 2.5M units this quarter. I highly doubt that the PS2 sold more consoles this quarter than it did last holiday season.

Why not? It did last Q.

KAZ lightly touched on some next-gen-y stuff in the Japanese conference too towards the end.

Just talked about how in the mid-term the business model is changing to one where people play games over the internet, and that they acquired Gaikai with a view to that, and that it can be used for existing PS devices as well as other devices.

And how from an R&D expenditure point of view, for future platforms, it's totally different from PS2 and PS3 days where you would make a huge chipset investment - that for the future they will leverage existing technology, and not doing everything from scratch themselves.

So kind of same-old, same-old messaging...but I thought it was interesting he started talking about this in an answer to a question that didn't really have much to do directly with that.

PS4 confirmed.

Or PS3. We have no clue as Sony is trying to hide the numbers.

Yes there is no definitive proof, but with a decent profit considering R&D costs of the PS4, I would venture to guess this wouldn't result from a large decline from the more overall profitable console (software sales, PS2 hardware margin is probably quite high even at it's low price).

Miles X

Yes there is no definitive proof, but with a decent profit considering R&D costs of the PS4, I would venture to guess this wouldn't result from a large decline from the more overall profitable console (software sales, PS2 hardware margin is probably quite high even at it's low price).

You really can't take Revenue/Profits as any sort of indication of what is selling what, the amount of products and stuff we don't know about not to mention what actually makes a profit and what makes a loss, it's way more complex than to how you've made it out to be.

Miles X

It sold more than 1M consoles last quarter? How do you know when the sales were combined with the PS3 last quarter.

Because PS3 was down YOY, did 1.8m last year. 2.8m combined last Q. We have no idea how much PS3 was down either. But PS2 did 1m at the bare minimum.

yurinka

This sounds as PS+ and Gaikai for both PS3, Vita, and PS4.

Miles X

The PS3 sold 3.7M last year at the same time, and not 1.8.

No it sold 3.7m this Q last year, you were asking about last Q.

Q1 2011 April - June PS3 1.8m, PS2 1.4m

Q1 2012 April - June (last Q, not this one) PS3 + PS2 2.8m combined. PS3 down YOY so 1.8m max, PS2 minimum of 1m.

So PS3 sales haven´t been big enough to prevent the overall decline due to PS2? Just wondering

No. The PS3 is not picking up the slack for the declining PS2 sales. It's selling well, but not as well as the same time last year when it got a $50 price cut in August.

No it sold 3.7m this Q last year, you were asking about last Q.

Right. And last quarters numbers are 2.8 combined for both the PS2/Ps3, leading me to ask again, how you know the amount of PS2 or PS3 sales individually.

Sometimes they will say this console or that dropped this percentage, and it could be figured out. I don't recall that.

The quartery numbers show the PS2 on the decline.

Miles X

Right. And last quarters numbers are 2.8 combined for both the PS2/Ps3, leading me to ask again, how you know the amount of PS2 or PS3 sales individually.

Sometimes they will say this console or that dropped this percentage, and it could be figured out. I don't recall that.

The quartery numbers show the PS2 on the decline.

Are you being dense?

Christ, we know last Q they were 2.8m combined. We also know because Sony told us last Q PS3 was down YOY, so the max it could have been last Q was 1.8m for PS3, however it could be lower. That leaves 1m+ for PS2. It isn't rocket science ...

Top Bottom