• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickz

I've been defending some of the particular quirks of the style chosen in the Welcome to the Ballroom anime, but.... WTF

aAZTMfa.jpg

Must've all had this kind of training

longneck2.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 3

Judging by the amount of twitter chatter mentioning her yet not actually reading a single tweet very closely, it seems like the star of the show has arrived.

I guess that is one way of interpreting things.

Jintor

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 4

i mean the dodgeball was cool and all but jesus christ at that backpack price tag.

that's seriously how much those backpacks cost

My interpretation of things is that Dragon Maid is a bad show.

It's a hot take in that it's correct.

my hot take is that it is not actually a show, just an assemblage of still images played very quickly while audio plays over it

Penguindrum 24 (End)

I'd like to say I was able to follow the most of the general plot, and the characters themselves were generally interesting and fun to watch. But man, I got so confused by everything in the last few episodes. I mean, I still had a lot of fun with it, but this was several layers more deep than I want to think about.

jman2050

Penguindrum 24 (End)

I'd like to say I was able to follow the most of the general plot, and the characters themselves were generally interesting and fun to watch. But man, I got so confused by everything in the last few episodes. I mean, I still had a lot of fun with it, but this was several layers more deep than I want to think about.

If I had ikuharamouth.jpg I'd post it here.

Cornbread78

Penguindrum 24 (End)

Lolololol.

Almost my same fucking reaction, lolol.

Aki-at

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - 3

Alright there's no topping Seo from last episode but the prince and violence double act is great to watch, Kashima is such a player but I'm not sure I wouldn't mind a prince like her to sweep me off my feet. Got to say I feel for Hori as a fellow shorty, but he stole the show for the most part of this episode :p

What a great cast of characters this show has assembled, loving this show so much.

Sterok

Twin Angel Break 12

Well the previous Twin Angel and Veil/Nui kind of stole the big moments from our main characters, but other than that an alright finale. And a surprisingly alright show. Likable characters on the whole, and good development overall. Fights were lame, and dramatic moments lacked enough weight, but for something that I went into with no expectations I liked it a lot more than I expected. But what happened with the twins and Mary's ant form? Who found them? Maybe I should watch the earlier seasons. And keep an eye out for a sequel.

Windy Tales 3

There's quite a bit of mundane or downright bad framing in this episode as compared to the eloquence of the first two episodes. For example, I can't see any value in obscuring the characters here with the flow of water from a fountain:

Regardless, the fundamental strength of the art style and especially the beautiful backgrounds shine through and make the show a joy to look at regardless of how strong or weak the storyboards are:

DNAbro

I'm 12 episodes into Iron Blooded Orphans and it is really good so far. I haven't watched Gundam since I was like 9 and I forgot how enjoyable it is to watch people in giant robots beat the shit out of each other.

zulux21

So... other than monogatari, what's good next season?
I'm looking forward to
Ballroom e Youkoso
Fate/Apocrypha
Shoukoku no Altair

and I am curious about
Kakegurui
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Made in Abyss
Musekinin Galaxy☆Tylor
THE REFLECTION
Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV)

DNAbro

I'm looking forward to
Ballroom e Youkoso
Fate/Apocrypha
Shoukoku no Altair

and I am curious about
Kakegurui
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Made in Abyss
Musekinin Galaxy☆Tylor
THE REFLECTION
Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV)

I read what has been translated of Made in Abyss and it's pretty damn interesting. I was upset that I ran out of chapters cause I really want to know what happens. It's a bit fucked up.

Cornbread78

Nothing yet, but...

I'll check out
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
New Game!! S2
Hajimete no Gyaru
Love and Lies
Gamers!
In a Different World with a Smartphone.(this has hate watch all over it)
Kakegurui
Tsurezure Children

This is about it for me. Nothing really has me excited past Owari and New Game2...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
"nothing is exciting except the known quantity franchises that have been run into the ground. : )"
Maybe Dive will be good. Maybe Made in Abyss will be good. Maybe Princess Principal will be cool. Who can say?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's more Symphogear! And a giant robot isekai show.
I can't even remember what happened last season outside of the shuttle suplex... Sugita's character came back, did a face turn and helped everyone save the day before dying?

I'm looking forward to
Ballroom e Youkoso
This reminds me of Coda, except without the crossdressing blackmail part. lol

Nothing yet, but...
Hajimete no Gyaru.
Been a while since I've watched an easy going romcom I guess.
(Never did finish Seiren. :p)

---

Speaking of anime, I finally watched something so my streak of watching something every season is still alive.
Yeah it's Koe no Katachi, but whatever. lol

First and foremost, and this has nothing to do with the film itself, but teachers must be horrible people if they fail their charges in such tremendous fashion. I think I'm more sensitive to it now than when I first read the manga a couple of years ago, because there was just another teen suicide in Canada a few days ago due in large part to online bullying. (What's worse is that this is the THIRD teen suicide in the school district for the year, so teachers in the entire city are failing to properly support their students).

The manga is about the children coming to terms with their own isolation, but the adults are just terrible and I almost wonder if their complete absence from the text is in and of itself a condemnation of a social system that chooses to ignore those who "make trouble". Hell, you basically have two characters who consistently skip school and no one seems to care.

Anyway, I suppose the one major criticism that comes to mind for me is that you can tell that this is an adaptation of a much longer text. It reminded me a bit of the clunkiness of the
Kids on the Slope
adaptation, where a lot of the threads felt underdeveloped and aborted, although admittedly, I think this film is a much smoother adaptation than Kids on the Slope. You can see the seams particularly when the rest of the cast is introduced, showing a wider circle of friends who don't really have any depth because they're forced to be cogs in the wider plot. Mashiba suffers the most from this, as the entire arc involving his character is completely removed. Ueno is probably the only side character who approaches being fully developed, but even then, her motivations are found a bit wanting.

That said, as a film about social isolation and bullying, the Ishida and Nishimiya serve those themes well.

You have a scene with this particularly striking series of shots.
EIPtk76l.jpg

Uo2K8Gbl.jpg

tQiAYDRl.jpg

The characters are framed from Ishida's point of view, where Nishimiya casts a shadow over him - particularly after he blows up at his "friends" and causes a rift in the group - and we see her looming above him, to the point that when he looks up at her, she is bathed in a blinding light. We immediately understand the dynamic between them, but only as Ishida sees it, because it's not long after that we learn that Nishimiya has her own problems when she attempts to commit suicide later in the film.

The film also uses negative space to effectively show the isolation of the characters:
JV0Ui5ll.jpg

There's also a lot of framing that objectifies the characters, but in a thematically consistent way to show what the characters think of themselves:
pqWPGIcl.jpg

Similarly, just think about the number of times we get this perspective in the film:
w6Xlindl.jpg

It shows objectification from the point of view of the character, but of course it's not sexual, but yet another sign of the characters unable to see the people around them.

You see this in full force during the scene where Ishida sees Ueno confronting Nishimiya in the ferris wheel carriage, where the entire conversation only shows their legs.
Cgss4bul.jpg

Again, in any other context, a shot like that has an entirely different meaning. But here it's important that you can't see either characters' faces, because it's an expression of how little they understand each other and how alone they feel in the moment.

And of course, there's the obvious visual metaphor of showing the background characters with large Xs on their faces that doesn't really bear mentioning.

It's Yamada's strongest film and the visuals help create the feeling of isolation that society has imposed upon the two lead characters. Even if you couldn't understand a single word of the film, you could tell that this was a film about the oppression that comes from being lonely.

I almost wish that they had made this into a series instead, where her direction isn't hampered by the condensed script. (Funny enough, it's almost the opposite of what happened with K-On!!, where Yoshida and Yamada were allowed to take a limited source material and flesh it out.)

In the end, it's a strong film but you'll need to turn to the source material for a fuller picture of the story being told. That said, I'm glad Kyoani made a film that wasn't simply an adaptation of one of their TV projects, so that's something at least.

N.B.
I remember there being a lot of comparisons between this film and Your Name, mostly because of their proximity to each other in terms of their release dates (for the Western audience at least). For me, it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges because my issues with both films are so different. With Your Name, it's that the science fiction premise doesn't quite stand up to scrutiny, but if you ignore that, the film has a much more relatable emotional impact because the script isn't beholden to some source material that it couldn't fully adapt. Perhaps on the surface I could say I enjoyed Your Name more, but for me, neither are perfect films by any means.

Edit: I just remembered. How the hell are they going to localize the "suki" vs "tsuki" misunderstanding? :p

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Shield Hero is getting an anime. Wonder who the animation studio is. This has the potential to be big, because we know people love The Edge

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sölf;241692702 said:
Was the Gintama live action trailer already posted here? This is the most recent one I found (ignore the last 40 seconds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhxlHw2whP0

And, I have to admit, this looks actually quite good. Give me subtitles and I am happy.

Edit:
Also, a trailer for the Shinsengumi series, as far as I know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZfLbpA-9ks

Oh, it was the old one that was posted here before.
(The CG looks baaaaaad lol)

I'm a bit disappointed that it's just a remake of the Benezakura arc instead of something metatextual that shits on the idea of a live action Gintama movie. I think they should have went comedy route instead of "serious". Hell, even if it meant a live action version of the episode where Gintoki and Hijikata are stuck in the crapper without toilet paper.

Sölf

Oh, it was the old one that was posted here before.
(The CG looks baaaaaad lol)

I'm a bit disappointed that it's just a remake of the Benezakura arc instead of something metatextual that shits on the idea of a live action Gintama movie. I think they should have went comedy route instead of "serious". Hell, even if it meant a live action version of the episode where Gintoki and Hijikata are stuck in the crapper without toilet paper.

The toilet paper scene is the best in the whole series.

As far as the movie goes, I think the Benizakura arc works pretty well as a standalone. Who knows what else may come after that. Comedy would be great though, I really hope we do get that at some point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sölf;241693341 said:
The toilet paper scene is the best in the whole series.

As far as the movie goes, I think the Benizakura arc works pretty well as a standalone. Who knows what else may come after that. Comedy would be great though, I really hope we do get that at some point.
It's the first major arc of the series and where the show really goes serious and hits its stride. I can understand why they decided to make that arc into the first anime movie.

I just think anime adaptations are often ill-conceived, particularly when the show isn't a slice of life show that can easily be converted into a jdrama. It would be like making a live action version of South Park or The Simpsons, and Gintama has often lampshaded the absurdity of its production many times. Like you could have an actual Gorilla show up and start smashing up the set or something to show how angry Sorachi is about the adaptation. lol

ah ha i can steam gift single eps, just not the whole bundle
Kemono Friends for all
Other than trolling, I don't understand the CR business model for anime on Steam.

My interpretation of things is that Dragon Maid is a bad show.

It's a hot take in that it's correct.

It's very close to being a good show though, if only it leaned harder in the heartwarming direction and got further away from the sexual exploitation angle.

We can hardly tell you what is good out of what does not yet exist.

Speaking of anime, I finally watched something so my streak of watching something every season is still alive.
Yeah it's Koe no Katachi, but whatever. lol

First and foremost, and this has nothing to do with the film itself, but teachers must be horrible people if they fail their charges in such tremendous fashion. I think I'm more sensitive to it now than when I first read the manga a couple of years ago, because there was just another teen suicide in Canada a few days ago due in large part to online bullying. (What's worse is that this is the THIRD teen suicide in the school district for the year, so teachers in the entire city are failing to properly support their students).

The manga is about the children coming to terms with their own isolation, but the adults are just terrible and I almost wonder if their complete absence from the text is in and of itself a condemnation of a social system that chooses to ignore those who "make trouble". Hell, you basically have two characters who consistently skip school and no one seems to care.

I cannot speak to the manga, but if you thought adults were completely absent from the film I have to wonder how you missed every scene with Shoya and Shoyo's respective mothers, who are both very important characters.

Anyway, I suppose the one major criticism that comes to mind for me is that you can tell that this is an adaptation of a much longer text. It reminded me a bit of the clunkiness of the
Kids on the Slope
adaptation, where a lot of the threads felt underdeveloped and aborted, although admittedly, I think this film is a much smoother adaptation than Kids on the Slope. You can see the seams particularly when the rest of the cast is introduced, showing a wider circle of friends who don't really have any depth because they're forced to be cogs in the wider plot. Mashiba suffers the most from this, as the entire arc involving his character is completely removed. Ueno is probably the only side character who approaches being fully developed, but even then, her motivations are found a bit wanting.

As someone who has not read the manga, I feel like this might be more of a problem for people who have and expect their adaptations to carry over every detail of the original. Sure, the film does not take the time to fully examine and flesh out every side character, but I don't see that as an inherent negative. The visual and thematic storytelling is so strong, as you acknowledge, and the throughline of the film is well-constructed and focused. If this had been made into a TV series rather than a film, the production would inevitably have been weaker (even for KyoAni), bloat and a looser focus would likely have been introduced, and ultimately I don't think the work would have been as powerful even if it would have been more of a 1:1 adaptation of the manga.

You have a scene with this particularly striking series of shots.

The characters are framed from Ishida's point of view, where Nishimiya casts a shadow over him - particularly after he blows up at his "friends" and causes a rift in the group - and we see her looming above him, to the point that when he looks up at her, she is bathed in a blinding light. We immediately understand the dynamic between them, but only as Ishida sees it, because it's not long after that we learn that Nishimiya has her own problems when she attempts to commit suicide later in the film.

I hadn't payed too much attention to the lighting and the different POVs in this scene. It sure is interesting how Nishimiya casting a shadow over Ishida perfectly translates how she sees her influence in his life at that moment "you will never be happy when I'm around". The same goes for Ishida who is still unable to understand her, blinded as he is by his own convenient interpretation of her person.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I cannot speak to the manga, but if you thought adults were completely absent from the film I have to wonder how you missed every scene with Shoya and Shoyo's respective mothers, who are both very important characters.
I'm talking about, you know, authorities. The one teacher you get in the "prequel" (or One Shot, based on the manga) is pretty terrible. But then again I've read that schools don't really have guidance counselors or mental health professionals, so yeah. It's more a larger comment about a society where suicide is rampant enough where there's an actual "suicide forest" and no one seems to know what to do about it.

In an ideal world, both kids would have gotten actual intervention instead of pity for Nishimiya and being turned into a pariah for Ishida.

As someone who has not read the manga, I feel like this might be more of a problem for people who have and expect their adaptations to carry over every detail of the original. Sure, the film does not take the time to fully examine and flesh out every side character, but I don't see that as an inherent negative. The visual and thematic storytelling is so strong, as you acknowledge, and the throughline of the film is well-constructed and focused. If this had been made into a TV series rather than a film, the production would inevitably have been weaker (even for KyoAni), bloat and a looser focus would likely have been introduced, and ultimately I don't think the work would have been as powerful even if it would have been more of a 1:1 adaptation of the manga.
Well, that's my problem - with K-On, Yoshida/Yamada clearly knew to throw out the manga and just do whatever they wanted to do. They could have done the same and cut several characters. At best, you could keep Ishida's "BFF" to show him making a friend, and Ueno to show a spectre of his past haunting him. Characters like Sasahara add nothing to the film and are there because they were in the manga.

I hadn't payed too much attention to the lighting and the different POVs in this scene. It sure is interesting how Nishimiya casting a shadow over Ishida perfectly translates how she sees her influence in his life at that moment "you will never be happy when I'm around". The same goes for Ishida who is still unable to understand her, blinded as he is by his own convenient interpretation of her person.
Yeah, I like that scene because at first it's an obvious visual metaphor, but it also reveals the depth of their relationship if you stop to think about how the characters are being presented. The fact that it's like a 5-10 second sequence is amazing, because it's just left to sit in your brain for you to think about subconsciously.

That doesn't help... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom