• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

great to see that you guys love it, i personally can't wait for the new ep.

btw. you guys should really check out the abridged movies too and the specials.

jman2050

The whole thing was awesome, but I lost it on episode 9. The whole sequence from when Nappa said "it's his turn" is just incredible :lol

that was pretty lame.. :/

but the quality is pretty good. the actors arent bad. but NOTHING will ever top the Yugioh abridged series..nothing. too many amazing quotes there..

"ATTENTION DUELISTS! My hair ____________" Theyre all amazing :lol

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I didn't care for the videogame parodies in Episode 4, I think, the mahogny thing in episode 2, and the SNL German weightlifter impersonations but other than that this is really funny. My favorites are Piccalo and Mr. Bobo.

Cipherr

OMG at episode 6 or 7 and King Kai.

"Im alive!"

"Yes and you have conveniently learned several key fighting techniques off screen, now GTFO my planet".

I seriously ROFL at that.

Alex

That Goku voice sounds a good deal like the second one Ocean used, I remember it swapping while Goku was traveling to Namek I think. God it was horrible, still better than the Funimation one following it, but that season one Goku voice in the Ocean dub was probably the best voice the character has ever had altogether.

Alex said:
That Goku voice sounds a good deal like the second one Ocean used, I remember it swapping while Goku was traveling to Namek I think. God it was horrible, still better than the Funimation one following it, but that season one Goku voice in the Ocean dub was probably the best voice the character has ever had altogether.
What's lame is that he still kept writing for the series (even after Funimation took over dubbing themselves), so I don't see why they couldn't have kept him onboard.

AlternativeUlster said:
I didn't care for the videogame parodies in Episode 4, I think, the mahogny thing in episode 2, and the SNL German weightlifter impersonations but other than that this is really funny.
I liked those :(

Aaron Strife said:
What's lame is that he still kept writing for the series (even after Funimation took over dubbing themselves), so I don't see why they couldn't have kept him onboard.

Money. Ian Corlett walked from Ocean Studios for DBZ because of how low the payments were.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010210101651/dbzuncensored.terrashare.com/opinions/icorlett.html

Without blowing my own horn too hard, I'm very good at dubbing (speedy). But dubbing work is grueling. It's quite likely to sit in a dark booth for a full 8 hour day, grinding out multiple episodes of a given show. That's what DBZ was like. Honestly it all came down to $$. Especially when the project moved to the Ocean Group. They are notorious for chiseling and paying fractions of what actor's are paid elsewhere. To their credit, that's how they get the work. The Ocean group and I don't really see eye to eye. But I simply got tired. I drew the line on all dubbing work after that (at Ocean that is). Without going into the gory details, basically I asked for about $250 more per episode - and that's CANADIAN $$!! (I think that works out to about .29 cents US. no?). I guess my "other commitments" where to anything else willing to pay what I'm worth - and my sanity, of course.

The timing of the jokes in this are amazing :lol

Piccolo: SPECIAL BEAM CANNON!!

Goku: Is that what you're gonna AAAAAAAAAAAGH *dies*

:lol :lol :lol

neight

Banned
ZAK said:
Okay, kinda lame sometimes. Also, should be shorter.
Yea I thought they were nuts for not making the episodes in 2-minute chunks like the ADD crowd would like. I'm glad they didn't.

ZAK

neight said:
Yea I thought they were nuts for not making the episodes in 2-minute chunks like the ADD crowd would like. I'm glad they didn't.
While watching, I was thinking about whether I could show this to people without them getting bored. :lol I really do think it drags on a bit sometimes, though.

Piccolo/Krillin: KAGE BUSHIN NO JUTSU
(Naruto sfx)
Nappa: VEGETA! I don't... believe it.

Krillin: This is my... Destructo Disk!
Piccolo: (weakly) laaaaame.

(after Krillin throws the Destructo Disk at Nappa)
Vegeta: Watch out, Nappa, it's a trick!
Nappa: But Vegeta! ... Trix are for kids.

Vegeta: All of these Saibamen have the same power level as Raditz. That's right - he was so weak, we can actually GROW Raditzes!

Nappa: Look Vegeta! He's the Raditz of their group.

Nappa: Don't worry, Vegeta! I'll just use what I learned at Saiyan University.
Vegeta: Wait... What could you possibly go to college for?
Nappa: Child psychology.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Aaron Strife said:
Piccolo/Krillin: KAGE BUSHIN NO JUTSU
(Naruto sfx)
Nappa: VEGETA! I don't... believe it.

I think the best part of that was not the line itself, but the groan that followed. :lol

Gagaman

Akuun said:
I think the best part of that was not the line itself, but the groan that followed. :lol
Yeah, many of the best parts are when someone is shouting faintly off screen, too.

"What a cunning plan! No wait, what's the opposite of cunning?"
"Retarded?"

I also like how everyone was impressed when Piccollo killed one of the Sabermen shortly after Krillin killed three, but nobody gave a shit because it's Krillin. "Nobody cares!"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Episode 4 is fantastic (I have not watched the rest yet)

Azure J

Aaron Strife said:
(after Krillin throws the Destructo Disk at Nappa)
Vegeta: Watch out, Nappa, it's a trick!
Nappa: But Vegeta! ... Trix are for kids.

Vegeta: On second thought, go ahead and catch it... Actually, try catching it with your teeth! :lol

jman2050

AzureJericho said:
Vegeta: On second thought, go ahead and catch it... Actually, try catching it with your teeth! :lol

That whole sequence came completely out of nowhere and I was laughing like a hyena for a good minute afterwards.

Timing really is everything.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
News Anchor: we now go to our resident expert on lunar events, sailor moon.
Sailor Moon: OH DEAR GOD
News Anchor: Thanks, sailor.

I rofled. Ollie Williams ftw.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Procarbine said:
News Anchor: we now go to our resident expert on lunar events, sailor moon.
Sailor Moon: OH DEAR GOD
News Anchor: Thanks, sailor.

I rofled. Ollie Williams ftw.
:lol Me too. that scene was so hilarious to me.

hwateber said:
nappa is the best part of this series :lol
He was pretty amazing, but his death was totally worthwhile if only for Vegeta's reaction. That long shot of just him smiling is perfect.

YYZ

oh god, that was full of tremendous :lol

Too bad they haven't done the whole series yet, that will be a long time.

Top Bottom