• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Meadows
Banned
(04-06-2012, 07:59 PM)
Meadows's Avatar
I keep getting shitty updates of people's crap kitchens on my wall...you better win!
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(04-06-2012, 08:12 PM)
Timedog's Avatar
I voted. Add me 2 da list.
T Ghost
Member
(04-06-2012, 08:22 PM)
T Ghost's Avatar
Done! Lilked the photo and shared to my FB friends asking for help!
DietRob
i've been begging for over 5 years.
(04-06-2012, 08:23 PM)
DietRob's Avatar
Liked and Liked. 1230

Add me to the pool.
Theonik
Member
(04-06-2012, 08:26 PM)
Theonik's Avatar
Well, I guess I'll help.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 04:13 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar
List updated. Let me know if I missed anyone.

Only 2 weeks to go!

We found some evidence suggesting that the second place people have been cheating by buying likes, so shit might get crazy as this contest gets down to the wire.


Originally Posted by CrudeDiatribe

Wait, you're in HRM too? It's a Small GAF, after all, it's a small GAF...

Voted!

I'm going through the photos and have already seen a dozen friends voting for other kitchens.

what's up cuz? :p

I knew there must be a small Haligaf contingent here. You're the first one I've run into honestly.

Originally Posted by Meadows

I keep getting shitty updates of people's crap kitchens on my wall...you better win!

Well, feel free to unlike it if it gets annoying just wait until the contest is over please! =)
Hilti92
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:17 PM)
Hilti92's Avatar
If I only knew this was in Halifax, we'd have a new kitchen.. Too late, voted.
mescalineeyes
Banned
(04-16-2012, 05:18 PM)
mescalineeyes's Avatar

Originally Posted by mibupe

If I only knew this was in Halifax, we'd have a new kitchen.. Too late, voted.

people in Halifax use their kitchen and don't just eat godly delicious Donairs all the time?
rostocker
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:25 PM)
I voted nearly a month ago (#1025).
Linius
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:26 PM)
Linius's Avatar
A vote from the Netherlands, number 1341.
Heel
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:27 PM)
Heel's Avatar
Voted for you, good luck!
CrudeDiatribe
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:46 PM)
CrudeDiatribe's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

what's up cuz? :p

I knew there must be a small Haligaf contingent here. You're the first one I've run into honestly.

You're number three for me. If we can get a few more we can have a meet up to make LA, NYC, Toronto jealous.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:50 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrudeDiatribe

You're number three for me. If we can get a few more we can have a meet up to make LA, NYC, Toronto jealous.

:lol



:'(
Dahellisdat
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:51 PM)
Dahellisdat's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

We found some evidence suggesting that the second place people have been cheating by buying likes, so shit might get crazy as this contest gets down to the wire.

Is asking strangers on GAF to vote for you and then raffling off videogames for them really that different from the buying votes form of "cheating"?
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 05:55 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dahellisdat

Is asking strangers on GAF to vote for you and then raffling off videogames for them really that different from the buying votes form of "cheating"?

Yes.

At the beginning of the contest we called the company and asked them about the rules, specifically about online communities and things of that nature. They said it's totally fine since its a legitimate form of social networking. When we noticed that the other people were buying likes we called them (without accusing the other people or naming names) and asked hypotheically about buying likes. They said that buying likes would definitely be cheating. So far we've been playing by the rules 100% while the others started breaking the rules when they fell behind.
Kunohara
Member
(04-16-2012, 06:04 PM)
Kunohara's Avatar
I remember my best friend and his wife were in this contest to win something (I don't remember what it was, it was awhile ago), and they asked all of us and our friends to vote for them in this contest. For awhile, they would always be around the 3rd or 4th position. The first place team had such a big lead it was almost on borderline cheating.

So, I thought of something that surely in this day and age wouldn't work, but sure enough it did. The poll for this contest was on the company's web site itself, not on Facebook. When I voted, I went and deleted the cookie the web site made off my computer, and just voted again. It worked. So my wife and I just went to town (I know most of you are saying right now that we aren't any better, but keep in mind the first place team had such a lead, there was no way they were doing it legit).

The web site for some reason noticed this, and actually reset the poll. The said there was a bug and it had to be reset. When voting started again, guess which team shot up very quickly again, and won the contest by a long mile?

The way I see it with these online polling contests, it is always cut throat, and people will do anything to win. I actually commend LowEndTorque for doing this raffle. I should have thought of that when my best friend was doing his contest.
Dahellisdat
Member
(04-16-2012, 06:15 PM)
Dahellisdat's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

Yes.

At the beginning of the contest we called the company and asked them about the rules, specifically about online communities and things of that nature. They said it's totally fine since its a legitimate form of social networking. When we noticed that the other people were buying likes we called them (without accusing the other people or naming names) and asked hypotheically about buying likes. They said that buying likes would definitely be cheating. So far we've been playing by the rules 100% while the others started breaking the rules when they fell behind.

I think I would agree with you if not for the video game raffle you're doing.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 06:15 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar
edit: double
Captain N. Tenneal
Member
(04-16-2012, 06:18 PM)
Captain N. Tenneal's Avatar
Liked both of them for you, good luck with winning!
riceckr
Junior Member
(04-16-2012, 06:20 PM)
riceckr's Avatar
I voted # 1347

you guys are WAY in the lead

plus, your kitchen has a lot of potential that is a nice big window
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 06:20 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kunohara

I remember my best friend and his wife were in this contest to win something (I don't remember what it was, it was awhile ago), and they asked all of us and our friends to vote for them in this contest. For awhile, they would always be around the 3rd or 4th position. The first place team had such a big lead it was almost on borderline cheating.

So, I thought of something that surely in this day and age wouldn't work, but sure enough it did. The poll for this contest was on the company's web site itself, not on Facebook. When I voted, I went and deleted the cookie the web site made off my computer, and just voted again. It worked. So my wife and I just went to town (I know most of you are saying right now that we aren't any better, but keep in mind the first place team had such a lead, there was no way they were doing it legit).

The web site for some reason noticed this, and actually reset the poll. The said there was a bug and it had to be reset. When voting started again, guess which team shot up very quickly again, and won the contest by a long mile?

The way I see it with these online polling contests, it is always cut throat, and people will do anything to win. I actually commend LowEndTorque for doing this raffle. I should have thought of that when my best friend was doing his contest.

I wish it were that easy.

Our method is a lot more grindy. Every day, for about 3 weeks straight, my wife would buy a huge box of timbits and lollipops and take the baby with her to all of the University and College libraries in our town. (We have 3 large universities and 2 colleges here).

She would hit up the computer lab and offer everyone she saw on computers a timbit or lollipop in exchange for a vote. One trip to all 3 libraries in the morning and one in the afternoon. That method worked amazingly well and pretty much everyone was friendly and happy to vote for us (even people that she ran into 3-4 times lol). A lot of people even shared and got their friends to vote. But now that final exams are over and the library is empty, that resource has been tapped out.

Probably about 500 of our votes came from this method, another 4-500 from our friends and 200+ from gaf. If we lose after all that work she put it, she’s going to throw a rampage lol.

Originally Posted by Dahellisdat

I think I would agree with you if not for the video game raffle you're doing.

Well, I respect your opinion but I really don't see how having a game raffle with an online community that you regular is the same as hiring a company to spam votes for you with fake accounts. I assume I'd be in an extremely generous mood if we won, so It's more of a thank you to gaf and a gesture than "paying" people to get likes.
Dahellisdat
Member
(04-16-2012, 06:47 PM)
Dahellisdat's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

Well, I respect your opinion but I really don't see how having a game raffle with an online community that you regular is the same as hiring a company to spam votes for you with fake accounts. I assume I'd be in an extremely generous mood if we won, so It's more of a thank you to gaf and a gesture than "paying" people to get likes.

Ahhh I see. I didn't understand at first that they hired a company to spam. I think we're on the same page now. In fact I think I'll go vote for you too since I think the spamming thing is bullshit. Good luck to you, and I didn't mean to come off like a dick before.
Hilti92
Member
(04-16-2012, 06:58 PM)
Hilti92's Avatar

Originally Posted by mescalineeyes

people in Halifax use their kitchen and don't just eat godly delicious Donairs all the time?

Occassionally you have to pace yourself otherwise you will get the shits.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:06 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by mibupe

If I only knew this was in Halifax, we'd have a new kitchen.. Too late, voted.

Yes it's too late. Way, way, way too late :p we don't want any more competition


Originally Posted by Dahellisdat

Ahhh I see. I didn't understand at first that they hired a company to spam. I think we're on the same page now. In fact I think I'll go vote for you too since I think the spamming thing is bullshit. Good luck to you, and I didn't mean to come off like a dick before.

Yeah, I guess I wasn’t really clear about that. My fault.

A few weeks into the contest we noticed that she created a facebook group for her entry. Someone posted “Buy Likes!” on her wall put a link to his/her website. I copied the link and held onto it for evidence just in case things got ugly.

A couple of weeks later we noticed that on random days of the week they would get bursts of votes in increments of 40-70 votes during odd hours of the night (like 1a.m to 5a.m-ish) No votes for the entire week, but a sudden burst of 70 votes overnight during odd hours of the night.

So I decided to look into who these mysterious overnight voters were. All these votes came from facebook accounts with open profiles, no friends, and the only activity from these accounts was liking hundreds of facebook pages.

I went back to that link and saw that the pagemaster had even put up a voting schedule, listing the times that they vote (which matched the times they were getting votes). Didn't report them to the company or accuse them and I'm hoping I don't have to. It's only a last resort if things get ugly and we lose.
Dahellisdat
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:09 PM)
Dahellisdat's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

Yeah, I guess I wasn’t really clear about that. My fault.

A few weeks into the contest we noticed that she created a facebook group for her entry. Someone posted “Buy Likes!” on her wall put a link to his/her website. I copied the link and held onto it for evidence just in case things got ugly.

A couple of weeks later we noticed that on random days of the week they would get bursts of votes in increments of 40-70 votes during odd hours of the night (like 1a.m to 5a.m-ish) No votes for the entire week, but a sudden burst of 70 votes overnight during odd hours of the night.

So I decided to look into who these mysterious overnight voters were. All these votes came from facebook accounts with open profiles, no friends, and the only activity from these accounts was liking hundreds of facebook pages.

I went back to that link and saw that the pagemaster had even put up a voting schedule, listing the times that they vote (which matched the times they were getting votes). Didn't report them to the company or accuse them and I'm hoping I don't have to. It's only a last resort if things get ugly and we lose.

Wow, that is some underhanded shit. Well +1 for you, I voted about 20 minutes ago.
Krauser Kat
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:13 PM)
Krauser Kat's Avatar
Post your story on reddit with the picture of the cat and tell them to help you beat someone who is buying likes.
Iron E Man
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:14 PM)
Iron E Man's Avatar
#1352
Good luck
Earthstrike
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:15 PM)
Earthstrike's Avatar
Give the company that runs the contest the evidence you have of them buying votes.
Siegfried
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:19 PM)
Siegfried's Avatar
Voted. #1353.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:28 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Earthstrike

Give the company that runs the contest the evidence you have of them buying votes.

I thought about doing that, but I don't want to cause any un-necessary drama just yet especially since we're still sitting on a pretty healthy lead.

I'm just saving my evidence as a last resort if we lose and things have to get ugly.
Epic Drop
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:28 PM)
Epic Drop's Avatar

Originally Posted by Earthstrike

Give the company that runs the contest the evidence you have of them buying votes.

Yeah, I'd do it ahead of time rather than only if you lose. Personally, I wouldn't want to look like a sore loser.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:31 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Epic Drop

Yeah, I'd do it ahead of time rather than only if you lose. Personally, I wouldn't want to look like a sore loser.

If it happens one more time (the burst of votes from fake accounts overnight) I might just do that.
PrivateWHudson
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:43 PM)
PrivateWHudson's Avatar
+1

I thought I had liked this before, but it was the guy who was trying to win wedding pictures. Good luck, even if your kitchen isn't completely ugly.
torontoml
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:53 PM)
torontoml's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

what's up cuz? :p

I knew there must be a small Haligaf contingent here. You're the first one I've run into honestly.

Currently at Dal, but going to Labrador to work for the summer.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:57 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by torontoml

Currently at Dal, but going to Labrador to work for the summer.

A fellow Tiger on gaf? Never thought I'd see the day.

I did my Master's at Dal and I'm going back to Dal this September to start Law School. Are you originally from NFLD?
torontoml
Member
(04-16-2012, 07:59 PM)
torontoml's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

A fellow Tiger on gaf? Never thought I'd see the day.

I did my Master's at Dal and I'm going back to Dal this September to start Law School. Are you originally from NFLD?

No, Caper and proud of it.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 08:02 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by torontoml

No, Caper and proud of it.

Cabot Trail = one of the most amazing places on earth.

Gonna try take my nephew motorcycling through the trail this summer.
Vyer
Member
(04-16-2012, 08:05 PM)
Vyer's Avatar

Originally Posted by LowEndTorque

Yes.

At the beginning of the contest we called the company and asked them about the rules, specifically about online communities and things of that nature. They said it's totally fine since its a legitimate form of social networking. When we noticed that the other people were buying likes we called them (without accusing the other people or naming names) and asked hypotheically about buying likes. They said that buying likes would definitely be cheating. So far we've been playing by the rules 100% while the others started breaking the rules when they fell behind.

That's the time of stuff I was talking about discovering early in the thread. My sister was in a contest where people were doing that.


And really, you're doing something similar. You're offering prizes but buying all the same.
HildyB
Member
(04-16-2012, 08:12 PM)
HildyB's Avatar
Voted for you, but I'm really doin it for the kittah.
Wildesy
Member
(04-16-2012, 08:24 PM)
Wildesy's Avatar
Voted. GL
thiscoldblack
Member
(04-16-2012, 08:30 PM)
thiscoldblack's Avatar
It's kind of sad to see these entries labeled as "ugly kitchens", including OP. You guys have sort of a high standard, imo. Good luck on winning, though.
WORLDWIDEWII
Member
(04-16-2012, 08:34 PM)
WORLDWIDEWII's Avatar
Voted. #1362.
Mr. Fix
Member
(04-16-2012, 09:00 PM)
Mr. Fix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dahellisdat

Is asking strangers on GAF to vote for you and then raffling off videogames for them really that different from the buying votes form of "cheating"?

I think so too, what with the timbit/lolipopthing, but by technicality no. The kitchen isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and it really should go to whoever has the worst one. Sucks that social networking counts. But hey, that's some dedication you 2 have. Props for that, and sticking by the rules (though I don't exactly agree with).
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 09:27 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Fix

I think so too, what with the timbit/lolipopthing, but by technicality no. The kitchen isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and it really should go to whoever has the worst one. Sucks that social networking counts. But hey, that's some dedication you 2 have. Props for that, and sticking by the rules (though I don't exactly agree with).


Well, it is what it is. Other contestants have also complained about the rules as well, but they kind of missed the whole point of the contest.

The whole reason the company is running this contest is to generate exposure for their business. By making the contest based on likes, they know that all the contestants will work hard for them especially with such a big prize at stake.

This will inevitably generate greater exposure for their business than if they structured the rules a different way. So from their perspective as a business, doing it this way is what makes the most sense for their goals of getting exposure. And the whole timbit/lollipop thing at the libraries was just that: generating exposure. Again, very different from paying a company to spam votes for you from fake FB accounts.

Also, "high standards" is kind of relative and subjective here. Everyone entered for their own reason. Our reasons are the rotting/falling apart countertops, holes in the flooring and lead-based paint in the cabinets which you can't see from the photo.

Anyways, I don't know why I'm defending myself here :p We didn't make the rules, we're just playing the game ;)
Canuck76
Banned
(04-16-2012, 09:36 PM)
Hey man deleted my facebook but i already liked. Hope that isn't taken away now
DietRob
i've been begging for over 5 years.
(04-16-2012, 09:48 PM)
DietRob's Avatar
Did you win or what dude? It seems like this has been going on an pretty long time.
LowEndTorque
Member
(04-16-2012, 10:13 PM)
LowEndTorque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Canuck76

Hey man deleted my facebook but i already liked. Hope that isn't taken away now

I dunno bro. But I think it does delete your like if your account is deleted. No worries though. Appreciate your vote anyways, and if you feel guilty about it you can always make a new account and give us a +juan :p

Originally Posted by WhatRobEats

Did you win or what dude? It seems like this has been going on an pretty long time.

It's been going on for a fucking eternity. We entered on March 5. Winner gets announced 2 weeks from tomorrow.

We're sitting pretty on a lead of 473 votes, but it looks like the people in second place may have hired a company to spam votes for them from fake FB accounts, so we have no idea what's gonna happen over the next 2 weeks.
iamtheb
Member
(04-16-2012, 10:24 PM)
I like you and I hope you win. I'm number 1360.
hellclerk
Everything is tsundere to me
(04-17-2012, 05:58 AM)
hellclerk's Avatar
Voted. 1364

Eh, why not. A couple of those kitchens looked like they needed it more, but from the GAF response, no one else has a chance in hell of winning. Congrats.
Sutton Dagger
Member
(04-17-2012, 06:16 AM)
Sutton Dagger's Avatar
Voted: 1365

I love the support that GAF gives, I need to find me some of these sorts of popularity contests. :)

Good luck Torque

Thread Tools