• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Gen Controllers

jax

Banned
Customization. As a handicapped person, this makes the Elite and Steam controllers objectively the best currently.

Lunar FC

WAIT.

Wait. Wait wait wait.

When did the definition of "paddles" with respect to controllers change? The literal last time I heard that term used in this context, they referred to the rotational controllers used for Pong-style games on the Atari 2600. Did Valve really appropriate the word to mean something completely different? Is that like what they refer to the touchpads as now?

I don't have OCD, but it would be seriously triggered right now. :p

I don't think you know what OCD is.

Arulan

I hope console platform-holders take a strong look at the Steam controller, both from a functionality standpoint and a customization one. The right pad in combination with high fidelity haptic feedback makes it significantly superior to an analog stick for any form of aiming, camera control, and cursor use. There is still a use-case for the left analog stick, but the right one really needs to go.

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

jax

Banned
Id love to see more detachable controls too. The elite was on the right track, but it'd be awesome to see that NX patent come to fruition

paddles, audio jack, HD rumble/adv haptic feedback, gyro, accelerometer, share button.

All of these, with the addition of the TV button from Wii U Gamepad...comes in handy when, say, the remote is lost...you can change TV inputs on the fly, raise/lower volume, etc.

And wired as an option

Duxxy3

Take the Xbox One S controller. Add a smidgen more resistance to the analogs. Raise the xbox button (back to what it was before). Change the dpad to something less clicky, with more movement.

Done.

Nzyme32

Gyro and HD rumble. Nintendo keeps on innovating the control man. How do they do it?

Hopefully Micro and Sony do Gyro next time. Makes shooters waaaay better.

"HD Rumble" is just Linear Resonant Actuators, and is in a bunch of different product already, and expertly used. Vive Controllers and Steam Controllers use force reactors, the more powerful variant with greater range than the versions of what Nintendo is using. Gyro as well has been in tons of stuff for controllers for quite a long time. Utility in PC and VR games is great. DS tried and Icarus is one of the few that got close to pushing it. DS4 has it but sadly doesn't use it enough.

Anyway, basically Nintendo hasn't revolutionised these at all

ShowDog

No more led lights. Convex sticks over concave. I want to be able to set the controller down without depressing the triggers. Speakers inside are cool. Headphone jack is a must.

Make the fucking things way cheaper. I don't buy local multiplayer games outside of 360/Steam because I'm not buying $180 of controllers for occasional use. I'm sure it's fairly common and impacts sales of those games when controllers are so expensive. Most "party" games would work fine with a Dual Shock 1, why not release a scaled down "party edition" controller for $15-20 on that level that only works for party games?

Kent

The Elite controller is simply the best. The paddles and interchangeable sticks and D-pad make a huge difference, and need to be standards.

Other than that, I want my C and Z buttons again, and not in the thumb-breakingly-awful positions that the Black and White buttons were on the original Xbox's Controller S.

Gyro, HD, Rumble, and maybe that finger position sensing thing Oculus touch has

Oculus Touch "tracks" your finger position through all buttons being capacitive. It doesn't really know if you're pointing or lifted off the trigger by 1mm. It just knows whether your finger is on the button or not.

Peltz

Modular controls... sort of what I hope the Switch turns into. I'd love the ability to switch the parts of the controller depending on the game.

jstripes

Banned
Next gen controllers will include neat new features... that will be completely unused because they're not cross-platform.

I like the touchpad and built in speaker of the DS4. Like any other Sony innovation, none of their third parties use it, but I would love if those became standard.

Also I would like them to redo the controller light, but s have it change color during gameplay or to designate characters during multiplayer.

Built in headphone jack and share button go without saying.
Yet I did.

Kthulhu

I hope console platform-holders take a strong look at the Steam controller, both from a functionality standpoint and a customization one. The right pad in combination with high fidelity haptic feedback makes it significantly superior to an analog stick for any form of aiming, camera control, and cursor use. There is still a use-case for the left analog stick, but the right one really needs to go.

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

I doubt this will happen. People will probably get impatient with them like they did with the steam controller.

Most people don't want to take the time to learn how to use it, which is a shame because its a great controller once you get used to it. Esspecially for emulation.

jotun?

Some kind of good solution to the problem of trying to aim or control a camera while doing things, where the current solution is to contort your hand into a claw grip. Buttons or paddles on the back as a standard, or something

Don't know what they should ADD, but I'll tell you what, Sony better SUBTRACT that fucking light on the Dualshock. It eats up battery in order to do... what, exactly? No one's looking at their controller while playing a game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Don't know what they should ADD, but I'll tell you what, Sony better SUBTRACT that fucking light the Dualshock. It eats up battery in order to do... what, exactly? No one's looking at their controller while playing a game.

it is by far the worst controller addition in years - maybe ever

no idea why they didnt bother to include an 'off' button

we also need less shitty lofi speakers in controllers

brad-t

WAIT.

Wait. Wait wait wait.

When did the definition of "paddles" with respect to controllers change? The literal last time I heard that term used in this context, they referred to the rotational controllers used for Pong-style games on the Atari 2600. Did Valve really appropriate the word to mean something completely different? Is that like what they refer to the touchpads as now?

I don't have OCD, but it would be seriously triggered right now. :p

These things:

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Replace the right joystick. There are more accurate options out there to consider that aren't just called a mouse.

"HD Rumble" is just Linear Resonant Actuators, and is in a bunch of different product already, and expertly used. Vive Controllers and Steam Controllers use force reactors, the more powerful variant with greater range than the versions of what Nintendo is using. Gyro as well has been in tons of stuff for controllers for quite a long time. Utility in PC and VR games is great. DS tried and Icarus is one of the few that got close to pushing it. DS4 has it but sadly doesn't use it enough.

Anyway, basically Nintendo hasn't revolutionised these at all

Nintendo is the only console manufacturer to do this, as my post stated. the PC space doesn't really mean much in that regard. I suppose they werent the first, but its not like others are doing it well in the video game space.

Gyro.
Grip buttons/paddles.
Analogue triggers.

HD rumble maybe when I experience it.

Edit I love my Steam controller, so I dunno about the pads, but the above I can say for sure.

Harlequin

I've said it time and time again: dynamic button resistance. Give the developer control over how easy or hard it should be to press any one button in any given situation. Would do so much for immersion.

I'd also love eye tracking to be introduced as a means of control but that would be sort of difficult to do outside of VR applications or optional implementations that require extra eye tracking hardware.

Orayn

My personal wish is that Playstation and Xbox both offer a "split" version that's meant to work well with VR but also has all of the standard inputs so you can play non-VR content Wiimote/Nunchuk style if you want.

Top Bottom