• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is the Portal Remaster Collection?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Most of the main talent behind Portal is no longer at Valve, no?

If you mean the Nuclear Monkey folks who Valve hired to develop Portal, half of them are still there, including three of the four designers/programmers. Erik Wolpaw (co-writer on both games) and Josh Weier (project lead on Portal 2) were big losses on the Valve veteran side of things, though.

Really hard for a remaster to happen.
L4D3, on the other hand, I'm absolutely sure they'll at the very least announce it this year. Just you wait.

Davide

I remember when I was worried Valve would make Portal 3 instead of Half-Life 3

Turns out they just don't make games though.

BasilZero

Really hard for a remaster to happen.
L4D3, on the other hand, I'm absolutely sure they'll at the very least announce it this year. Just you wait.

Oh man.

Left 4 Dead 3 is the one Valve game I would want the most if I was given a choice between HL3, Portal 3 and L4D3.

After CS: GO I wouldn't expect much from Valve when it comes to consoles, they probably looked at the numbers and figured it wasn't worth it.

Besides, you don't need a gaming PC for Portal games.

Yeah, but the first one played like crap on PS3 and I don't own it on 360.

I don't think you need a remastered version of a last gen game. Just put them on PSN.

Very true, this would be 100% fine with me.

Any PS Now users know if these are listed on that service?

8bit

Knows the Score
more importantly, where the fuck is portal 3

17323238040_c727c52e1c.jpg

is about as close as you're going to get for now.

The other option would be the kind of awful Kim Swift Portal-ish game with a very bored Q in it.

coughlanio

Both HL games brought something new to the table when they were released. If HL3 ever releases, I HIGHLY doubt it would just be a generic shooter.

I think they always intended for the Portal universe to wrap back around and fold into the Half Life universe with Episode 3. Will be interesting to see how they approach that if they ever do get back to Half Life.

NewDust

Why remaster anything when you can just outsource it to the community for free on PC?

And then let the public pay for the mods, and take a cut yourself...

On top of that, didn't Gabe recently say (or better said, reiterated) that they don't like working in 'walled gardens' aka consoles.

jesu

I get that sentiment but, I don't think you would need to call it 3 I guess.

Why would they make a sequel to Portal 2, sent in the same world as Portal 2, with similar game play to Portal 2 and not call it Portal 3?
What would you call it?

fresquito

More importantly, when will we be getting the Remaster of the Remaster?

Is nobody thinking what will happen with games once PS5 releases?

True words. For instance, even just making it a 4 player co op with maps that could only be solved with 4 players gives it the merit to exist by how drastically it would affect level design.

One of my greatest gaming experience is going through 2's co-op campaign and community maps with a friend, but 4 players? Fuck no.

2-player already demands more planning, coordination and communication than most games, 4-player would turn it into a mess where it would take more than an hour to solve one test.

A, Valve is seemingly done with consoles. B, the quick buck made from remasters is likely peanuts to them. I don't think it's ever going to happen.

The Portal games would not benefit from a graphics upgrade. They are gameplay and humor driven games, so I just don't see how making them prettier when they already look fine would really be worth the effort. I never once though while playing them that they needed to look better.

There is not a whole lot of point for a remaster when there aren't planning on future installments right now and don't focus much on consoles.

Also the games aren't really the most exciting to be remastered.

And I doubt they care much about the extra bit of money.

Left 4 dead 1 and 2 should have been on PS4 by now

Those games didn't come to PS3 at all and a lot of PS4 gamers don't game on pc or Xbox so they missed out

Easy money

JaseC

I would like to see gameplay from F-Stop.

I do wonder if F-STOP has been revived as one of the three fully-fledged VR games Valve is working on, especially as ApSci is being used as the backdrop for Valve's creative/experimental projects (see: The Lab).

Jedi2016

Honestly, at this point the game could run on a potato. Even if you don't have a "gaming" PC, whatever PC you have can probably run the game better than you'd think.

Sorcerer

Kinda strange for Valve to support consoles after the whole Steam Machine initiative. Not that it really went anywhere.

Paragon

I'm not sure that I see much value in remastering the games, but it would be good if Sony/Microsoft would make The Orange Box backwards compatible.
I guess an updated Source collection might make sense on PS4 if Left 4 Dead has never been on PlayStation, but not a remaster.

I love Portal 2 in 4K 60FPS. The art-style makes the game look so good, even when the engine is quite old at this point.
The original Portal still looks pretty good too, even if the textures could be higher resolution.
I only intended to take a couple of screenshots but ended up playing through the whole game again.

JaseC

I'm not sure that I see much value in remastering the games, but it would be good if Sony/Microsoft would make The Orange Box backwards compatible.

All of Valve's X360 games are backwards-compatible on the X1, including CS:GO.

Top Bottom