• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I think I've come to terms with the fact that this was really disappointing. It's painful to try to go back and play this.
It's a game of dizzying highs and abysmal lows. Overall I was happy with it once I'd made it through the campaign and just started playing the mountains I liked (the ones with no gimmicks or death pits).

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't bother playing the campaign. I'd just do explore.

soultron

Banned
For $5, it's pretty low-risk. It got some mixed reviews from some GAFfers, but maybe you'll be one who enjoys it. Don't let other people saying "it's not SSX," decide for you. Decide for yourself.

Consider also that you're getting the game with Freeride mode patched in and the custom soundtrack tweaks, IIRC.

NHale

It's a game of dizzying highs and abysmal lows. Overall I was happy with it once I'd made it through the campaign and just started playing the mountains I liked (the ones with no gimmicks or death pits).

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't bother playing the campaign. I'd just do explore.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a SSX fanatic so I went with this game with low expectations since I didn't play more than a couple of hours of the previous games and it still disappointed me.

However like you said some mountains are fantastic and a joy to play. But for any mountain that it's enjoyable there is 3 that are not. When you start to worry more about surviving than trying new tricks and keeping the combo going the game completely falls apart.

iFootball

This. At $5 its a whole lot different from those of us who got it full price day one.
Agreed... while I payed full price, I was a bit disappointed, but in the end this is because some runs are really awful and the pits annoying... But as many have said, once you know which runs to choose it can be very fun... I still pop it in every once in a while for quick shot at a few runs.

Totally worth it at $5 IMO

I think is a great way to describe it. The good parts are really fucking good while the bad parts are really bad. Although I personally like the game a lot of the highs came from trying to beat each others scores while the community was at its peak. This is something that will be lost to new buyers though.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I picked it up off EU PSN for a fiver. Its not classic SSX but its pretty good. This past gen has had a massive shortage of extreme sport titles, especially compared to the PS2 era, so its good to be able to play one again.

PSN ID is richardam- if anyones interested.

Dereck

Do the older SSX games really not allow the player to turn in mid-air with the analog stick? I was playing the new SSX, and decided to check out the older games. That is kind of a turn off to me, which sucks because the older games have offline multiplayer.

EDIT: On Tour doesn't, SSX 3 does

I tried installing this onto a Galaxy S3 Quad-Core I have and it didn't work. It's locked to the one android device it was released for (i think it was some gaming themed Sony phone).

And with Valkyria Chronicles doing to well with the PC re-release, EA needs to learn a bit from that and port SSX2012 to PC. I'd pay a solid $30 for some 4K SSX @ 1080p with working multiplayer and Steamworks integration for Global Events (considering it's a last-gen title it should run very well if optimized).

iFootball

...and I'm still subscribed to this thread =D .. I still play the game every now and then, and quite enjoy myself.

I think I'd rather ask for a PS4 remake of SSX, with no pits of course ;)

Wow this thread brought me back. Every year around this time I get the urge to play SSX. I really hope we won't have to wait as long for the next game. They have such a good base already.

soultron

Banned
Oh man this game. Other than the death pits I loved it. Does anyone know what the team is up to these days?

Not really sure. Todd Batty survived the cuts at EA recently, which is great. If I had to guess I'd say he's probably on the FIFA franchise now. Not sure about many other people, but I remember from my visit that the team was small to begin with, so hopefully most of them survived the layoffs!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This needstyo be on PSnow so I can impulse play it without having to hook up the PS3 and DL updates and all that mess.

Stackboy

I want to start a wild rumour about a new SSX being shown off at E3 this year.

But I'll probably just go back to playing the 360 version. Still a great game!

Gaaraz

I'm way LTTP but playing this now as it was recently part of GwG.

I kinda like it, but I wish there was less fear of death on almost level. It's a shame they didn't balance it out with more tracks where you could just go crazy trying to get a high score, or focus 100% on going as fast as possible and get a good racing line, without knowing if you screw up you're dead :(

MMaRsu

Banned
Just rebought this in the gwg sale for 360. I used to have it on PS3, but im fresh to the 360 version. Lol some of these scores are too easy. Im coming for your records Tokubetsu!!!

If anyone has a spare mt eddy code for 360 Id really appreciate it. It costs as much as the game lol.

Gaaraz

The final stage is one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've ever had. I actually got to the delete game page before bottling it at the last minute :(

I can easily get to the end now without having to rewind, I'm level 9 and have a really good ~1m board, and get tricky and boost through the entire first and last sections but that's clearly not enough :(

The final stage is one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've ever had. I actually got to the delete game page before bottling it at the last minute :(

I can easily get to the end now without having to rewind, I'm level 9 and have a really good ~1m board, and get tricky and boost through the entire first and last sections but that's clearly not enough :(
I remember it being well and truly insane. Good luck.

Hale-XF11

Rise from your grave!

Haven't played this game in quite some time. I still have it, but then I just remembered how much I hate all the death pits and the overall bad game design. I loved the mechanics at least. Ah well. I'm just kinda bummed, because instead of getting nostalgic feels for it, I just think about how frustrated I was with it.

Hope we get a proper sequel one of these days, but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom