• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look of Metro: Last Light on PS4

Gumbie

Hmmm I own 2033 in my Steam and never played it (got it for free that one time they were giving it away). And I never played this one on PC either, not like my laptop could handle it. Definitely will wait for PS4 version. Do I need to play the first to enjoy the second?

The version they're releasing on ps4 includes 2033 and Last Light.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I'll go with 1080p + ultra PC settings than some weird ass 900p + unlocked 60fps. Even if is locked, don't care cause metro is not the type of game where you need high frame rates.

Getting a game to 60fps 1080p isn't hard. Getting it to 1080p 60fps with good visuals is. As they never say what the equivalent settings to PC the games are running at, saying it's 1080p 60fps is meaningless. This could be on PC equivalent low settings, and they'd still get praised for getting it to 60fps...

why not? Killzone looked better than this game on PC.

Okay....
Metro-Last-Light-4k-gallery-thumb-5.jpg

RoKKeR

Oh yes, can't wait for the announcement tomorrow.

Though I can't help but jump to the wild conclusion that it'll only be 60fps on PS4 because of they way they've been teasing it, which would be very disappointing.

Edit: On second thought, for a game like Metro I'd be completely fine with locked 30, actually. Whatever, it'll look amazing anyways and I can't wait to replay the games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh yes, can't wait for the announcement tomorrow.

Though I can't help but jump to the wild conclusion that it'll only be 60fps on PS4 because of they way they've been teasing it, which would be very disappointing.
They showed a framerate counter at 60. It's not exactly a wild conclusion.

hesido

They showed a framerate counter at 60. It's not exactly a wild conclusion.

Also, the offscreen vine visuals are 60fps!

Awww yisssss...

edit for special note:
The vine video is 30fps. But I can differentiate 60fps feeds in off screen 30fps videos. Try me!
The feel of 60fps(!) pours into 30fps camera feed because of multiple frames showing up in the 30fps video, if the shutter speed is adequate.

Getting a game to 60fps 1080p isn't hard. Getting it to 1080p 60fps with good visuals is. As they never say what the equivalent settings to PC the games are running at, saying it's 1080p 60fps is meaningless. This could be on PC equivalent low settings, and they'd still get praised for getting it to 60fps...

Okay....
Metro-Last-Light-4k-gallery-thumb-5.jpg

Don't underestimate the graphical potential of the PS4, that's all I am saying.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm talking about how it will run on XBO. They made a point of showing it was the PS4 version in the teaser.
Have we seen any games do that? Everyone has opted to take a hit on resolution and maintain performance parity, this will presumably do that same.

hawk2025

Have we seen any games do that? Everyone has opted to take a hit on resolution and maintain performance parity, this will presumably do that same.

Other than minor fluctuations, I believe only Tomb Raider has had significant framerate differences.

hawk2025

yet you never post/contribute anything to pc threads going off your post history, funny that

Substitute his post for mine if you'd like: It's ridiculous, unnecessary, and derails a ton of threads.

I've mentioned this before in the thread, but do we have any info at all on whether or not maaaaybe they will rebalance 2033 a bit? That would be very very nice.

Alej

Banned
yet you never post/contribute anything to pc threads going off your post history, funny that

You know, when you see a thread about a game coming to your platform, etc. You want to read and maybe say something, but when the thread is plagued by PC comparisons, where some guys are having a big time making absurd claims like "game x on x platform is better looking that game y on y platform, so this z game on y platform should be an inferior than x version".

Consoles aren't PCs guys. Please. Can we have good looking games for us to enjoy on our tablet CPU and low range GPU? Even if its Low PC settings or something?

PCs warriors are the worst, seriously. I want that good looking Metro on my PS4, should be great!

bee

Substitute his post for mine if you'd like: It's ridiculous, unnecessary, and derails a ton of threads.

You know, when you see a thread about a game coming to your platform, etc. You want to read and maybe say something, but when the thread is plagued by PC comparisons, where some guys are having a big time making absurd claims like "game x on x platform is better looking that game y on y platform, so this z game on y platform should be an inferior than x version".

Consoles aren't PCs guys. Please. Can we have good looking games for us to enjoy on our tablet CPU and low range GPU? Even if its Low PC settings or something?

PCs warriors are the worst, seriously. I want that good looking Metro on my PS4, should be great!

whilst i agree, you act like it's one way traffic, ctrl+f "ps4" in practically any pc thread

hawk2025

whilst i agree, you act like it's one way traffic, ctrl+f "ps4" in practically any pc thread

I personally subscribe to the idea of "being the better man". I absolutely agree that it happens both ways, but whitewashing it as "eh, happens both ways, so who cares" is ignoring the issue rather than trying to address it.

Anyways, we're veering very much off-topic and I'd rather not contribute more to doing so -- I'd rather not become part of the problem :)

Agreed, It's as if a £349 box is putting certain noses out of joint.

King_Moc

Banned
I'd be seriously impressed if this is running at 1080p/60fps while being roughly equivalent to the PC versions on high. These are insanely demanding games on PC, and look fantastic. Would be the PS4's finest achievement to date imo.

Alej

Banned

I don't give a shit, for me, it's one way traffic. Go to any PS4 or console oriented thread, they are all plagued by PC guys saying we should abandon ship and go PC route, wtf.

I really wonder if my PS4 would melt trying to render that Metro:LastLight "fine" PC settings.

You guys are craaazy if you truly believe this game will run 1080p, 60fps at anything more than pc low settings. Even then don't count the 60fps to be locked. I mean if it could then we wouldn't be having games like watchdogs, battlefield 4 multiplayer and killzone multiplayer run at sub 1080p sub 60fps. This coming from a PS4 owner would love my £350 investment match a £800 pc.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
You guys are craaazy if you truly believe this game will run 1080p, 60fps at anything more than pc low settings. Even then don't count the 60fps to be locked. I mean if it could then we wouldn't be having games like watchdogs, battlefield 4 multiplayer and killzone multiplayer run at sub 1080p sub 60fps. This coming from a PS4 owner would love my £350 investment match a £800 pc.

The game on PS3/360 was one of the best looking titles last gen. It wont be on max settings, but I doubt it will be on low either.

Nzyme32

It's a rather demanding game, though, so it's fair to suggest that there are plenty of people with PCs unable to run the game properly.

I maxed it out on my PC but ended up limiting the frame-rate to 30 fps in order to maintain consistency.

Rather demanding when maxed out is a bit of an understatement, but with a few of the shaders removed and some features reduced, performance increases greatly. This could be seen in the original linux/steamOS version that didn't use the latest OGL.

The game will likely look brilliant anyway. 60fps is definitely worth it in this game

It isnt really meant to be your typical Dudebro shooter though. Thats what makes it great IMO.

Definitely

StuBurns

Banned
I think it's a fun game, I was expecting something like Stalker, which I really have never been able to get into, but I found it immediately enjoyable. I also never really thought they looked so great, personally I think the Crysis games have completely outclassed them consistently, 2 was far beyond 2033, and 3 is far beyond Last Light.

Krisprolls

Banned

Not again... We already have Second Son that looks basically better on ps4 than any pc game and still run at more than 30 fps so of course it's possible. And that's just the start. Ac4 or kz run great too.

Consoles are not pc, when will you understand that? You gain a massive boost by optimizing for a single hardware and you have low level api, plus pc gets shitty ports anyway since devs don't care about pc. So of course you get more for your money in hardware on consoles...

This will be a very long gen for pc elitists.

Top Bottom