• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOW WE ROVU WINDU WAIKA

No no, the Zelda fanbase now has to love Skyward Sword, but hate Wind Waker HD.
It's the only way.

Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Zelda Winder Waker HD
Wii U fit

2014 -

New Mario Bros game for the Wii U
New Mario Kart Game for the Wii U
Smash Bros Wii U
Wii U party game
Xenoblade 2
Yoshi Wii U
Fire Emblem Crossover
Zelda Wii U

If two or more of the titles I've marked as 2014 make it out this year, I'll be very surprised.

I'd say the bolded will definitely and without question come out in 2013.

EDIT: Hey guys, I just remembered: Retro's game wasn't announced or shown.
Get hype for E3? :3

ugoo18

My goodness Monolith Soft

Xenoblade 2 or whatever this game is called looks phenomenal

amekbv.gif

aturjs.gif

awajv0.gif

Retro it's your turn at E3 to wow us all

Nintendo direct Pros
SMTxFire Emblem
Windwaker HD
Monolith game
Yoshi's epic yarn
W101 trailer
Spring and Summer updates to address loading/Virtual console

Nintendo direct cons
So much Miiverse filler
No mention of Retro's project even in regards to E3 iirc
Lots of "please wait!" on Smash, 3D Mario and Mario Kart
No acknowledgement of people asking for F-Zero/Wave Race
No mention of account issues
Almost nothing from third parties(not that they matter when Nintendo has to show stuff)
Bayonetta info was scarce despite trailer
Windwaker HD is an awesome idea, but no mentions of more dungeons
Pikmin 3 delayed and no online co-op in site for Summer...
US getting Punchout instead of Mother(I'd like to try this series someday!)

It was a pretty good direct despite them not going above and beyond. Certainly a better showing than last year's disappointing E3. I expect great things at this year's E3. Nothing in the "pros" section will move millions of units for Nintendo this Winter, though. Hopefully Mario Kart development is going by efficiently so we can toss some shells and bananas in HD this Winter.

IrishNinja

for real, anyone watching that & still bitching...i literally have no idea why you'd watch a nintendo presser

i mean i stopped watching MS at e3 when i realized halo, gears, kinect etc didn't do anything for me

So finally some games for the WiiU. A miracle.

yeah man, month 2-3 is usually an oasis of titles in any console cycle

I'm walking away from this ND with this:

- Virtual console will be on the gamepad (win)
- Wonderful 101
- Yoshi's Epic Yarn
- SMT X Fire Emblem
- Wind Waker HD
- New Xelda sounds deep and promising
- Xenoblade 2 looks to be the Game of Forever (fucking mechs!?)
- Mario Kart, 3D Mario title and Smash Bros. to be at E3

So putting all that together........yeah, that's a fucking win!

Frolow

Banned
I can guarantee you that Mother 2 will not make its way outside Japan. They didn't mention it in the US Nintendo Direct video at all.

I really hope that it's just them working out the details for a localization. It's not like Itoi isn't aware of the fanbase outside of Japan.

Desiato

Would have preferred MM HD (best Zelda game ever created) over WW HD but WW was an incredible entry itself so can't wait. Maybe they can do WW HD this year, new Zelda next year, and MM HD the following. Though realistically I think NEW ZELDA won't be till Fall 2015.

Majora's Mask 3D seems more likely, as they already have a lot of assets from OOT3D.

This ND really exceede my expectations. No one seems to talk about it too much, but I love the Famicom promotion, will be getting Fire Emblem, Super Metroid and Mother 2 for only 90 yen!

xandaca

If Mario Kart U will be playable at this year's E3, is it conceivable that it could be one of Nintendo's flagship titles this Christmas? I can't see the games being especially difficult to make, and they're always huge sellers so would be perfect to give the console a boost over the crucial festive season.

effzee

MM would probably be the least portable friendly game in the series. And WW already holds well visually. Majora's Mask would stand to gain a lot more in the transition, and the darker tone would be oh-so sweet to see lovingly recreated in HD.

Agree 100%

Don't want it confused with bitching because WW HD sounds awesome but MM is almost unplayable right now with the graphics. They should have re done that game with the realistic Zelda look of TP.

Maybe just maybe in the future? MM HD would destroy me!

Temujin

Best Nintendo Direct ever. At least 3 megatons. Don't think it can get better than this (well, until they announce Metroid and F-Zero...).
It basically sold me on a WiiU.

olimpia84

Man, those Monolith X screens and gifs look beautiful. Time to go to Youtube and rewatch them since the stream for Nintendo Direct was choppy for me.

Haha, Iwata delivered tremendously in the last ten minutes. Also, the occasional, petty snipes here awash in the sheer joy and enthusiasm of basically the rest of the world are the perfect garnishes for these megatons. There's going to be a bounty of quality reading for school tomorrow.

DjRoomba

Banned
God I hope New Mario Kart has excellent online with voice chat.
If Nintendo pulled that off That would tie with Call of Duty as the defacto online multiplayer game

Frodo

So happy after all this announcements! Of course we all knew a new 3D Mario, SSB, and Mario Kart would occasionally show up, no big surprises there. But all the others announcements! A new Yoshi game, Fire Emblem Crossover, Xenoblade 2 (let's assume), Wind WAKER HD and hints of a new Zelda! Not to mention the wonderful 101 looks even better, Pikmin 3 looks it's benefiting A LOT from the extra development time, and the quick glimpse of Bayo2!

#fangirling mode!

effzee

MKU is most likely to be released this year of the "future" titles shown or announced.

E3 will answer all.

If Nintendo can manage to release MKU, WW U, new Retro game, and 1-2 big 3rd party games this fall it will be quite the feat.

Though I doubt it. Most likely MKU is a Spring 2014 release. Retro I have no clue what they are doing or how far along they are.

Prediction:

WW U Fall 2013
MK U Spring 2014
Smash 4 Fall 2014
3D Mario U Spring 2015
New Zelda U Fall 2015

Piers

Senator Soufflé;46794230 said:
Now to calm down and be puzzled at why GBA games are for Wii U and not 3DS.

They might be worried that the ported SNES games on the GBA would make the WiiU's VC SNES titles obsolete if they were on the portable 3DS.
At the same time though, it makes no sense to buy the what is effectively a port on the same device that also sells the original.

So that was okay in the end.

Wind Waker remake was a genuine surprise, though I don't like how the updated character models look. Not cartoony enough, if that makes sense. The rest looks gorgeous and it seems like they're going to fix some other things (Triforce fetch quest?). 2013? Cool.

Monilith's game looked stunning. As did Yoshi's Epic Yarn.

I sorta want a Wii U now.

Yesterday: Nintendo never talks about anything until just before release. C'mon, Ninty!

Today: Probably none of these will even see release by this fall. C'mon, Ninty!

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
20 minutes into the Nintendo Direct I was about to write them off. "We are working on a new 3D Mario; which we will show at E3". "A new Mario Kart; which you will see at E3". Smash Bros. E3. Zelda. E3. And then Iwata opened the blast doors and started dropping bombs like the new Yoshi game. The Fire Emblem cross over. Wind Waker HD. And finally the most powerful megaton he had; Xenoblade 2. It was a slow-burning and patience-testing 20 minutes where nothing really happened; then Iwata took the safety off; plugged in a high-capacity magazine and just started firing bullets everywhere.

First 20 minutes = Disappointment.
Last 10 minutes = Hype levels justified. Nintendo redeemed.

Wind Waker is one of the best Zeldas and best games of all-time; and the HD remake screens looked absolutely beautiful. Nintendo saved? Not yet. We'll find out at E3. Energy and optimism injected into the Wii U as a platform? Hell yes. And right now.

JDSN

Banned
i like how iwata has commandeered the U.S. stream and filled it with their JP titles.

Its a good thing, maybe and indication that we wont have to deal with Operation rainfall bullshit this time around. But then again, the first time they showed Monado was in E3.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
MKU is most likely to be released this year of the "future" titles shown or announced.

E3 will answer all.

If Nintendo can manage to release MKU, WW U, new Retro game, and 1-2 big 3rd party games this fall it will be quite the feat.

Though I doubt it. Most likely MKU is a Spring 2014 release. Retro I have no clue what they are doing or how far along they are.

Prediction:

WW U Fall 2013
MK U Spring 2014
Smash 4 Fall 2014
3D Mario U Spring 2015
New Zelda U Fall 2015
I don't think Nintendo showed anything they plan on releasing in 2015. Let me emphasize plan...

KNT-Zero

Zelda WW HD looks really not HD. That huge lightning doesn't do much favours since some textures still look like the originals.

In other news, OMFG Yoshi and Xenoblade. OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD.
Tears of joy ú_ù

They might be worried that the ported SNES games on the GBA would make the WiiU's VC SNES titles obsolete if they were on the portable 3DS.
At the same time though, it makes no sense to buy the what is effectively a port on the same device that also sells the original.

True. I suppose I should be happy we're getting them at all. Whether this makes GC games more or less likely I'm unsure.

Jacobbles

Hi guys I just wanted to make sure you're all alright here I hope nobody died when the bombs dropped.

So that ND was really something, huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom