• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forrest Gump is the best movie.

Chichikov

Just gave it another rewatch because of this thread.

Still holds up.

Edit: Oh, went through and read the thread. Can't we just enjoy a movie? Maybe?
Of course you can enjoy that film, just like people can not enjoy it.
What you probably shouldn't do though is whine about the fact that the people who didn't are willing to articulate what they didn't like about the movie.

bionic77

I don't think it is a bad film. It's a Hollywood film for sure, but it's well directed with great special effects and period pieces. The acting in general is very good throughout, so I'm not sure how you can just say it is a bad film all around.

You may not like the film, but it's certainly better than most "bad" films. I'm not even a huge fan of the film, but it's a good film IMO.
It feels like a fake ass movie. I do agree that it is well executed but in the end it feels like an empty shell. All show and no substance underneath.

I loved it when I was a teenager and it came out. But I was also a dumb mofo who thought Ace Ventura was possibly the greatest movie of all time and 2001 was some boring ass shit at the time.

It's a maudlin piece of credulous mainstream boomer-worshipping horseshit.

It's underlying message is that even if you're dumb as a post, as long as you exhibit US values (enlist in the army, do what you're told, be Christian, salute the flag) you will be rewarded with fame, riches, children, and get to meet all the rockstars and even Presidents that walk the earth at the same time as you.

If you try to fight the system or get involved with the counterculture, like Jenny does, you will literally catch AIDS and die. Subtle.

The movie also can't resist making the Black Panthers into a hate group, which is probably exactly how white baby-boomers, by and for whom this movie was clearly made, saw them. To say nothing of portraying anti-war protestors like assholes (the president of the Berkeley chapter of the SDS smacks Jenny around at one point for fuck's sake - which I guess is cool with the Black Panthers, who glower at Forrest brandishing firearms while kicking him out of their meeting for daring to retaliate to a woman getting beat up).

In 1995 The National Fucking Review named it one of the "Best Conservative Movies" of all time, then in 2009, ranked it number four on its "25 Best Conservative Movies of the Last 25 Years" list.

Let's hear from them about how great this movie is!

This is such over-thought dreck I can't even believe I'm reading it. You're implying that meaning exists where it simply doesn't. The whole point of the movie is there's a world out there with a bunch of hostile bullshit that means nothing (like your post),and then there's Forrest, a simple guy with love in his heart who wanders into crazy success just because it's funny and interesting. That's it. You're focusing on the wrong stuff, dude.

The Black Panthers weren't realized very well in the movie I'll give you that, but Jenny's boyfriend was the antagonist in that scene, the rest was kind of just background noise.

Edit: and Jenny is portrayed as a confused girl, born into abuse, resulting in bad decisions. The movie doesn't intend to make her or counterculture look bad, if anything Forest also falls under that category...he doesn't know whats happening in the war and does nothing but help people after he's thrown in the shit. He's as peace loving as the hippies.

Neith

Banned
It's really well made and there are sections, specific character arcs within it that I do kinda like but thematically it's fucking insipid for sure. Also fuck all the way off with the 'why are you reading so much into it, just have fun' anti-intellectual bullshit, that attitude is why we get media that oppresses people in the first place. 'You're not supposed to critically analyse Birth of a Nation, it's all just fun at the movies, you're reading too much into it if you think it's racist', 'stop thinking about Triumph of the Will, just enjoy it man'

No one is saying stop thinking. You are overreacting again here like a lot of the people that are getting their opinions dissected. What people have basically said is that the movie is too tame to even have this crazy ultra conservative slant people are trying to demonize it with.

Zemeckis is also a known liberal.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/can-forrest-gump-be-viewed-as-conservative-propaganda

Here you go: basically quotes from all major parties saying this movie has nothing to do any of this shit brought up in this thread. Wow, should I trust over eager analysts that want to bring racism into everything, or the actual filmmakers who are very liberal?

I do agree the counter culture is not presented in a great light in SOME instances, but whatever it's a tame film that just wants to show people some snazzy effects and great acting.

I highly recommend reading this article.

No one is saying stop thinking. You are overreacting again here like a lot of the people that are getting their opinions dissected. What people have basically said is that the movie is too tame to even have this crazy ultra conservative slant people are trying to demonize it with.

Zemeckis is also a known liberal.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/can-forrest-gump-be-viewed-as-conservative-propaganda

Here you go: basically quotes from all major parties saying this movie has nothing to do any of this shit brought up in this thread. Wow, should I trust over eager analysts that want to bring racism into everything, or the actual filmmakers who are very liberal?

I do agree the counter culture is not presented in a great light in SOME instances, but whatever it's a tame film that just wants to show people some snazzy effects and great acting.

This thread is plagued with such classic over-analysis that I feel like everyone here is just playing a joke on everyone else. It's a straight up entertainment critic parody in here.

Neith

Banned
This thread is plagued with such classic over-analysis that I feel like everyone here is just playing a joke on everyone else. It's a straight up entertainment critic parody in here.

The fact that people are seriously getting angry over FG is preposterous lol. I mean, you all really need to put your passion into something else that matters. And stop believing every damn viewpoint that you read.

This is such over-thought dreck I can't even believe I'm reading it. You're implying that meaning exists where it simply doesn't. The whole point of the movie is there's a world out there with a bunch of hostile bullshit that means nothing (like your post),and then there's Forrest, a simple guy with love in his heart who wanders into crazy success just because it's funny and interesting. That's it. You're focusing on the wrong stuff, dude.

The Black Panthers weren't realized very well in the movie I'll give you that, but Jenny's boyfriend was the antagonist in that scene, the rest was kind of just background noise.

Edit: and Jenny is portrayed as a confused girl, born into abuse, resulting in bad decisions. The movie doesn't intend to make her or counterculture look bad, if anything Forest also falls under that category...he doesn't know whats happening in the war and does nothing but help people after he's thrown in the shit. He's as peace loving as the hippies.
This is such a piece of shit post, breh. Let people who actually care about these things talk about the political messages and you can just enjoy your maudlin, conservative, historical whitewash fantasy over there somewhere. If you really don't get how characters stand in for the cultures they come from in a movie where all these various groups are flashing by, then maybe you shouldn't be commenting on things like what the subtexts or implications are when you make the black resistance look like violent thugs, anti-war protestors into woman-beaters, hippies into drug addicts, and on and on. I really don't care what you think about how "overthought" these observations are, particularly when conservative groups agree that the messages are there and applaud the movie for having them.

Just look at the YouTube comments on this, everybody cheering him beating up hippies. Look at the shiny gun and the intimidating look of the Panthers when he's leaving. Even "Black Panther party" was a laugh-line -- haha, what an oxymoron right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzk89bYjiQ

Here's some great commentary for you, while you type another shitty post about how none of this is happening:

Retarded guy just encountered an SJW. Guess who's smarter.

Who's the baby killer?' What a loser. I had a lot of liberal professors like him in college. Gave me bad grades for being conservative. Morons.

Vietnam War: $584,000,000,000. Beating lefty faggot up: Priceless.

fucking hippie faggot deserved it

Go on Forrest! Brutalize that Hippie scumbag!

Bloody leftist nutjobs

^ All from the first page, I didn't even hit the "Load More" button.

You don't want this subtext to be there? Tough shit.

To iterate

I found it sanctimonious and lazy.

Lazy because they just mishmashed together major historical and cultural events where by coincidence Forrest happened to be there in a Baby Boomer's wet dream.

The AIDS part and the kid made no sense. How? Who? What?

norm9

Fun fluffy movie that gets great laughs and then it gets bogged down when America's sins have to be addressed.

Kikujiro

He's not overanalyzing anything, Forrest Gump has a subtext and it's pretty clear, that doesn't mean Zemeckis and co. are bad and racist people, but they probably made the movie without even realizing its political undertones. If conservatives praise the movie for its conservatives values there's a reason, even if celebrating conservative's values wasn't the author's intention.
Sergio Leone said his movie Duck, You Sucker! wasn't meant to be political, but then you have a Mao's quote at the beginning of the movie (cut from the American release) and there are plenty of political messages and scenes about class struggle.

JCHandsom

For a movie that supposedly has all these beloved moments and scenes...I find the movie very forgettable, outside of quotes like "run Forrest run" and one-off gags like the ping pong stuff.

valkyre

Shawshank Redemption was robed...

Sorry but whenever there is Forrest Gump discussion this pops right into my mind...

"Dumb guy being successful by accident" not only was the running gag in the movie, it was practically its selling premise. How do you mistake that as a morality the movie trying to pass on to you. The only morality the movie sell was "life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get."

Pepboy

That scene toward the end when Gump says "Is he smart ... Or is he... " Looking down with the implied "like me" just hanging there, and Jenny jumping in before he can give voice to the thought.

In that instant, you can see Forest, having come to terms with his own inabilities, yet realizing their difficulty and hoping against all hope his child doesn't have to live through them. The knowledge of a lack of knowledge and how it haunts an entire life. Forest is often "lucky" but seen from his own confused perspective, life might be a struggle to understand the basics. He relies on lessons from his mom and friends, almost rigidly so, to help make sense to a world that is largely chaotic. We think of this as cute or adorable, because we understand the events and context, but he's holding onto these things like a life raft in an uncertain sea. In that single scene, even as a much more confident cheerful adult, we suddenly see how vulnerable Gump is.

That scene sends shivers up my spine and I think it is perhaps some of the best acting I have ever seen. That Hanks conveyed so much in just mere seconds, I can never forget.

That scene toward the end when Gump says "Is he smart ... Or is he... " Looking down with the implied "like me" just hanging there, and Jenny jumping in before he can give voice to the thought.

In that instant, you can see Forest, having come to terms with his own inabilities, yet realizing their difficulty and hoping against all hope his child doesn't have to live through them. The knowledge of a lack of knowledge and how it haunts an entire life. Forest is often "lucky" but seen from his own confused perspective, life might be a struggle to understand the basics. He relies on lessons from his mom and friends, almost rigidly so, to help make sense to a world that is largely chaotic. We think of this as cute or adorable, because we understand the events and context, but he's holding onto these things like a life raft in an uncertain sea. In that single scene, even as a much more confident cheerful adult, we suddenly see how vulnerable Gump is.

That scene sends shivers up my spine and I think it is perhaps some of the best acting I have ever seen. That Hanks conveyed so much in just mere seconds, I can never forget.

Good post

Number_6

I mean, there's certainly problematic shit in there, but it can't really be the ultimate "bootstraps!" fantasy because Forrest never had those goals. He just did what he was told.

His only goal, a life with Jenny, was never realized.

It's a dumb movie filled with references for you to get.

I'll give Zemeckis the benefit of the doubt.

Then again, he did have Marty invent rock and roll...

Edit: Okay, he did have some time with Jenny.

g11

I like it fine. I'd agree Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption are better movies, but I certainly don't hate it. I always thought of Forrest Gump as a well done movie version of Where's Waldo? and Mr. Magoo. He just bumbles his way from one historically significant event to another while staying mostly in the background in the most asinine, yet entertaining, fashion.

gamz

"Dumb guy being successful by accident" not only was the running gag in the movie, it was practically its selling premise. How do you mistake that as a morality the movie trying to pass on to you. The only morality the movie sell was "life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get."

Pretty much this. I'll defer to Ebert's review (obviously liberal) on this.

"And yet this is not a heartwarming story about a mentally retarded man. That cubbyhole is much too small and limiting for Forrest Gump. The movie is more of a meditation on our times, as seen through the eyes of a man who lacks cynicism and takes things for exactly what they are. Watch him carefully and you will understand why some people are criticized for being "too clever by half." Forrest is clever by just exactly enough."

"As Forrest's life becomes a guided tour of straight-arrow America, Jenny (played by Robin Wright) goes on a parallel tour of the counterculture. She goes to California, of course, and drops out, tunes in, and turns on. She's into psychedelics and flower power, antiwar rallies and love-ins, drugs and needles. Eventually it becomes clear that between them Forrest and Jenny have covered all of the landmarks of our recent cultural history, and the accommodation they arrive at in the end is like a dream of reconciliation for our society. What a magical movie."

That's really all the movie is.

8byte

Banned
Of course you can enjoy that film, just like people can not enjoy it.
What you probably shouldn't do though is whine about the fact that the people who didn't are willing to articulate what they didn't like about the movie.

I mean, maybe that's fair, but then you have posts like this.

This is such a piece of shit post, breh. Let people who actually care about these things talk about the political messages and you can just enjoy your maudlin, conservative, historical whitewash fantasy over there somewhere. If you really don't get how characters stand in for the cultures they come from in a movie where all these various groups are flashing by, then maybe you shouldn't be commenting on things like what the subtexts or implications are when you make the black resistance look like violent thugs, anti-war protestors into woman-beaters, hippies into drug addicts, and on and on. I really don't care what you think about how "overthought" these observations are, particularly when conservative groups agree that the messages are there and applaud the movie for having them.

Just look at the YouTube comments on this, everybody cheering him beating up hippies. Look at the shiny gun and the intimidating look of the Panthers when he's leaving. Even "Black Panther party" was a laugh-line -- haha, what an oxymoron right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzk89bYjiQ

Here's some great commentary for you, while you type another shitty post about how none of this is happening:

^ All from the first page, I didn't even hit the "Load More" button.

You don't want this subtext to be there? Tough shit.

Like, if we enjoy the movie for what it is, we shouldn't speak on social issues or have ideas or opinions because "we don't care about these things".

I mean, go through my post history, I'm pretty left leaning, and can certainly see the concern with Gino's white washing of history and sanitization of a lot o difficult times in America's history...but it's also just a fantasy film that's so absurd no one should take it that seriously (at least not to this degree of hatred).

IMO?

bengraven

We were so obsessed with this movie when he came out. We would listen to the soundtrack all day long. And if I might even had a separate VHS just with two or three hours of behind the scenes stuff.

Edit: oh we're talking about the controversy.

I am in here I am having a positive memory about something from my past.

"Fuck me, right?"

Aiustis

I hate Forrest Gump. Really hate it.

My sister liked to watch it when we were kids. All the damn time. What kind of kid actually enjoys Forrest Gump? I really just remember it being terrible.

spock

Pretty much this. I'll defer to Ebert's review (obviously liberal) on this.

"And yet this is not a heartwarming story about a mentally retarded man. That cubbyhole is much too small and limiting for Forrest Gump. The movie is more of a meditation on our times, as seen through the eyes of a man who lacks cynicism and takes things for exactly what they are. Watch him carefully and you will understand why some people are criticized for being "too clever by half." Forrest is clever by just exactly enough."

"As Forrest's life becomes a guided tour of straight-arrow America, Jenny (played by Robin Wright) goes on a parallel tour of the counterculture. She goes to California, of course, and drops out, tunes in, and turns on. She's into psychedelics and flower power, antiwar rallies and love-ins, drugs and needles. Eventually it becomes clear that between them Forrest and Jenny have covered all of the landmarks of our recent cultural history, and the accommodation they arrive at in the end is like a dream of reconciliation for our society. What a magical movie."

That's really all the movie is.

Seems both me and Ebert took note of forests taking things as they are approach to life. Forest is a very Zen fellow and there is a really positive message in aspects of his persona that can create a much more fufilled and happy life just by "being". The fact some conservatives embrace the movie so much for all the wrong reasons sucks to me. There's such a better message if you're actually "watching" Forest, stupid is stupid does style. :)

Its also well made from a film stand point in regards to structural elements, story flow, the way emotion is triggered and used, etc. dig it man ! :)

Cheddahz

Banned
fun fact: i live in the town that the a good majority of the movie was filmed in (for example, the hospital that gets named after him is actually the art campus of the university i recently graduated from). a classic film around my area.

Top Bottom