• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Sec’s wife boasts of travel on Govt plane and fashion, then insults people

Piecake

800648246.jpg

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin's wife, Louise Linton, boasted of flying on a government plane with her husband to Kentucky on Monday and then named the numerous fashion brands she wore on the trip in an unusual social media post that only became more bizarre minutes later.

When someone posted a comment on Linton's Instagram picture that criticized the way Linton touted the trip, the treasury secretary's wife swung back hard, mentioning the extreme wealth she and her husband control.

”Did you think this was a personal trip?!" Linton wrote on her Instagram page, responding to the person who had written ”glad we could pay for your little getaway."

Linton continued in her response to the critic: ”Adorable! Do you think the US govt paid for our honeymoon or personal travel?! Lololol. Have you given more to the economy than me and my husband? Either as an individual earner in taxes OR in self sacrifice to your country? I'm pretty sure we paid more taxes toward our day ‘trip' than you did. Pretty sure the amount we sacrifice per year is a lot more than you'd be willing to sacrifice if the choice was yours."

Linton added, ”You're adorably out of touch ... Thanks for the passive aggressive nasty comment. Your kids look very cute. Your life looks cute."

The bizarre exchange came the day Mnuchin flew to Louisville to try to make the case for Congress to overhaul the tax code. He particularly stressed how the tax changes would help middle-class Americans, although Democrats have alleged the Trump administration wants to pass large tax cuts that benefit the wealthy and multinational corporations.

Typically, Treasury secretaries only fly government planes when they go on international trips. They usually fly on domestic carriers when they are traveling inside the country

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...and-valentino-fashion/?utm_term=.e4273d4e4607

Can I short this marriage?

Saya

"Let them eat cake."

Also this is the same woman who wrote a book about her gap year in Zambia and portrayed herself as the white savior with angelic hair caught in the middle of a civil war.

Furyous

"Let them eat cake."

Also this is the same woman who wrote a book about her gap year in Zambia and portrayed herself as the white savior with angelic hair caught in the middle of a civil war.

Wait... What? I need to read this ASAP because white savior stories are chock fun of delicious irony. Is it as bad as that story of those women that were disappointed Africa wasn't complete shit?

Locke562

"Have you given more to the economy than me and my husband? Either as an individual earner in taxes OR in self sacrifice to your country? I’m pretty sure we paid more taxes toward our day ‘trip’ than you did. Pretty sure the amount we sacrifice per year is a lot more than you’d be willing to sacrifice if the choice was yours.”

The Republican Party personified. She's just a parasite.

Saya

No fucking way

Wait... What? I need to read this ASAP because white savior stories are chock fun of delicious irony. Is it as bad as that story of those women that were disappointed Africa wasn't complete shit?

In Congo's Shadow: One girl's perilous journey to the heart of Africa

Billed as "The inspiring memoir of an intrepid teenager who abandoned her privileged life in Scotland to travel to Zambia as a gap year student where she found herself inadvertently caught up in the fringe of the Congolese War," the book has aroused a flood of online comments and reviews, which have accused the author of being patronising and inaccurate.

The hashtag #LintonLies has been used more than 14,000 since times since an extract was published in the Telegraph newspaper on Monday. Many of those commenting are angry Zambians who say they don't recognise the country that Linton depicts.

In the book, Linton writes about a night she spent in hiding from the threat of "armed rebels" in her village and describes herself as a "central character" in the events. "I tried not to think what the rebels would do to the 'skinny white Muzungu with long angel hair' if they found me." A sentence that has offended many users on twitter.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is the kind of boastful, petty bullshit you'd expect from the elite of some less than democratic country, down to the little people attitude.

Amazing.

Ozigizo

Failed actress marries arguable the ugliest man left in the cabinet after he's already secretary. 🤔🤔🤔

Joeytj

Banned
This is the kind of boastful, petty bullshit you'd expect from the elite of some less than democratic country, down to the little people attitude.

Amazing.

That was my first thought too. This is the exact same kind of bullshit response and elitism one would see over here in Mexico, especially from the current ruling party's elite class (the PRI).

Not that the general public is ok with it, it pisses everybody off, but it's pervasive. The head of the national water ministry (controls the national weather service and water infrastructure) was caught using a government helicopter for "work" trips to and from Mexico City. Problem was, his family almost always tagged along. He resigned, but his wife got a cushy phantom job at the Mexican Consulate in San Diego, while he still had the usual dubiously legal sources of income from his connections to the president and the ruling party.

And his story is one of dozens, hundreds, if not thousands in Mexico, and it's sad to see it happening more and more in the U.S., especially now with Trump.

tootie923

So she was that terrible actress in the Cabin Fever remake? I guess she has to pay for all that plastic surgery somehow.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Steve Mnuchin is the creepiest motherfucker on the planet. Trump probably brings him onstage at press conferences to make himself look better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm enjoying be Marie Antoinette jokes but calling for a guillotine seems like something that would get you a visit from the secret Service, dudes.
That was my first thought too. This is the exact same kind of bullshit response and elitism one would see over here in Mexico, especially from the current ruling party's elite class (the PRI).

Not that the general public is ok with it, it pisses everybody off, but it's pervasive. The head of the national water ministry (controls the national weather service and water infrastructure) was caught using a government helicopter for "work" trips to and from Mexico City. Problem was, his family almost always tagged along. He resigned, but his wife got a cushy phantom job at the Mexican Consulate in San Diego, while he still had the usual dubiously legal sources of income from his connections to the president and the ruling party.

And his story is one of dozens, hundreds, if not thousands in Mexico, and it's sad to see it happening more and more in the U.S., especially now with Trump.
The United States becoming just another run of the mill kleptocracy is a major political event I thought I would never see free how much exceptionalism was rammed down my throat. Y aquí es donde estamos.

Top Bottom