• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

Shauni

Was there anything at all in this new bill that even slightly helped the working or middle class? Is there even a tenuous example they can use to show it would help some Americans or are they just straight up lying about this shit?

Not a single bill produced during the time they began healthcare proceedings has any bill done a single thing that was of any advantage to the middle and working class. And that isn't hyperbole, that is just stone-cold fact.

Guess Who

Banned
between voting to proceed days ago and his "watch the show" comment tonight it's pretty obvious mccain just did this shit so he could be the Maverick Hero and doesn't actually care about how this all ends. it's theatre and he wants to be the tragic hero one last time before he goes

Toxi

Banned
McCain is not a hero for this. This is most likely due to the enormous backlash and I guarantee the "maverick" will fall in line with the GOP on the next big issue.
Even if it was because of the enormous backlash, it's still a big deal when most of the Republican senators ignored said backlash.

I'm just happy that this insanity did not pass.

All McConnell had to do is hold regular order, respect the process, hold committees etc and McCain would have voted yes on a bill like this. McConnel fucked this up and kept fucking it up. Reckless, disrespectful etc.

UberTag

What an amazing turn of events... and Trump earns his biggest 'L' to date...

06J3Sii.gif

Even if it was because of the enormous backlash, it's still a big deal when most of the Republican senators ignored said backlash.

I'm just happy that this insanity did not pass.
Oh don't get me wrong, it is absolutely a big deal. But never forgive and forget the other times.

Buckle

Poor baby Trump.

You lost this one. You're not getting a win here no matter the temper tantrums.

FUCKING DENIED. Good day, sir.

Can we not turn McCain into a hero here? He is still literally and figuratively cancer.

Sadly folks gonna prop him up as a savior simply for being slightly less evil than usual.

McCain's voting record is trash and he's trash for it. One obvious "right thing" vote doesn't absolve him of his political lifetime of being a pos. Like he's going to go right back to getting in line with Republicans on everything like he ALWAYS fucking does.

It's so damn easy being a Republican politician in this country. I swear.

Trump should take note, if he wants to be worshipped just do one slightly less evil thing and watch everyone sing your praises and ignore your record of fuckery.

FFS people. We don't even know under what thought process McCain voted no. And yet here we are declaring him a Hero??? The Man has literally fallen in-line with the GOP agenda for everything else.

IrishNinja

All McConnell had to do is hold regular order, respect the process, hold committees etc and McCain would have voted yes on a bill like this. McConnel fucked this up and kept fucking it up. Reckless, disrespectful etc.

agreed, and id never defend that shitty hypocritical koopa troopa but i kept wondering if the pace was pressure form short attention span trump

The way some people flip flop on McCain here is fucking hilarious.

also strongly agreed

The way some people flip flop on McCain here is fucking hilarious.

I'm fully ready to apologize and retract some of the bad things I have said about him due to this vote. But you have something wrong with you if you deny he always falls in line. 90% with Trump.

I bet you thought that post was so smart.

Jenov

McCain must feel pretty good, single handedly sticking it Trump on a 49/51 vote. lol. Fuck Trump. Keep your legacy, McCain.

Shauni

McCain should not suddenly be hailed as a hero because of this. This is most likely due to the enormous backlash and I guarantee the "maverick" will fall in line with the GOP on the next big issue.

No, he absolutely deserves that for this. No, we shouldn't forget everything else in the past, but the fact is that McCain killed this vote. Without him, this would have passed.

The next big issue is going to be the national budget and tax reform, and McCain's importance is going to bed diminished. And hell, dude could be dead by then, or at least incapacitated. This will, most likely, be his last major vote for legislation unless they try all of this again and fly him out from his deathbed again and he votes yes. We'll see when we get there.

So are the people who wished death on McCain going to recant now?

People wished him death on here?

This doesn't change his long career of being a shit heel. It offers a degree of forgiveness of past deeds but it doesn't erase a long long record as a politician.

Look it doesn't make McCain some savior or erase his entire voting history, but tonight he was the ally we needed.

Yep.

Rayven

aka surume
According to the hill article, he voted no because he didn't trust the House assurances that they wouldn't just vote this into law outright without conference adjustments.

JCHandsom

FFS people. We don't even know under what thought process McCain voted no. And yet here we are declaring him a Hero??? The Man has literally fallen in-line with the GOP agenda for everything else.

This is more like Vader dumping Palpatine down the Death Star II shaft- this does not at all redeem all the terrible stuff he supported, but in this critical moment he helped us out. I'm grateful for the outcome, I'm not declaring anyone redeemed or a hero.

Guess Who

Banned
it's honestly incredible how many people are falling for this incredibly obvious show put on to secure mccain's "maverick" legacy, so that people remember him just for this and not the shitshow of a voting record he's had for almost his entire political career

49-51, seems like McCain made the right choice when it actually mattered.

Part of me wonders if more Reps wanted to vote no but asked McCain to do it cause let's face it he's not up for reelection.

This is more like Vader dumping Palpatine down the Death Star II shaft- this does not at all redeem all the terrible stuff he supported, but in this critical moment he helped us out. I'm grateful for the outcome, I'm not declaring anyone redeemed or a hero.
I wouldn't even count this as "he helped us out." He could just as likely voted no because of some procedural crap or the bill wasn't conservative enough.

Trey

So are the people who wished death on McCain going to recant now?

I don't wish death on the man (or anyone), and after all the grandstanding he came out on the favorable side for me, but him not being there and his nay vote are functionally the same in my eyes.

He's still as much a danger to many Americans as his Republican colleagues are.

Top Bottom