• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Muslims growing more liberal, Pew survey shows

Well in America they are given opportunities, and representation. They are much more affluent, and richer than Muslims in Europe.

In fact, after Jewish people, Muslims are the second most affluent group in America.

Culture of America gives them a chance, while in Europe they are excluded from all parts of society and are excluded from good jobs which are reserved virtually exclusively for white people.

The further they keep shifting to the left and aligning with the Left-wing policies, the better it will be for them in the long-run.

The Left actually tends to give a shit about them and their rights.
Up to a point. The American Left also tries to make role models out of former IDF soldiers, makes "both sides" arguments in Israel/Palestine discussions, and also attacks liberal critics of the more problematic (hyperconservative) aspects of predominantly Muslim cultures (which in turn has perversely turned American conservatives and moderates into the predominant voices for progressive values and human rights in political discussions here). On the whole I fear that even the Left in the US doesn't really offer great allyship to Muslims.

But, given the two choices, they'd be fools not to ally with the Left in the states, and I'm really glad to see tolerance for LGBT people and support for women's equality increasing. Nice to have some good news these days. :)

These are probably the types that just put "Muslim" as their religion on forms and such, but are no more devout or observant than a typical lapsed Catholic.
Doubtful, your typical "lapsed Muslim" is much more adherent to certain religious customs than your typical lapsed Catholic who just celebrates Easter and Christmas. It's much more culturally ingrained. Even if you are right this is still a good thing as they have at least a bit of influence on the more devout members of their community.

Yeah that 1 or 1.5% of the US population split amongst several states, ages and different ethnicities will be a real game changer in next years polls...
You're an idiot if you think this is true and have no fucking clue how elections and geography works.

Muslims are largely concentrated in city centers and their surroundings, such as Houston, Chicago, Orlando, NYC, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Dearborn, etc. The Congressional districts form an important voting bloc for Muslims. As an example, Jon Ossof lost the jungle primary by 1000 votes because a Republican Muslim candidate split their votes. If allthe Muslims unified in their vote for Ossof, he would have won GA-6. Jon Ossof visited almost every mosque in GA-6. I got this from my friend who canvassed in that district.

There are also Muslim Congressmen like Keith Ellison who is largely supported by Somali immigrant community, and there is also the first Muslim Governor running in Michigan who is relying on suburbs of Detroit to vote for him:

So yes, Muslims form an important influential voting bloc in many parts of the country and your words only further isolate and disenfranchise Muslim community.

Dilly

Banned
Well in America they are given opportunities, and representation. They are much more affluent, and richer than Muslims in Europe.

In fact, after Jewish people, Muslims are the second most affluent group in America.

Culture of America gives them a chance, while in Europe they are excluded from all parts of society and are excluded from good jobs which are reserved virtually exclusively for white people.

What a load of bollocks.

Let's completely ignore the complete different way that immigrants are allowed into both continents.

Yes, the culture of America which is not at all known for racism...

Different immigration policies lead to different results.

Ah, yes because not everyone feels the same way as some asses that like to expose themselves whenever the topics of Muslims come around. I get annoyed by generalizations in general, so I don't know what the fuck you guys are doing coming at me as If I'm the one in the wrong.

Because you know better. You're being pedantic about a statement that clearly does not refer to every member.

NoName999

Ah, yes because not everyone feels the same way as some asses that like to expose themselves whenever the topics of Muslims come around. I get annoyed by generalizations in general, so I don't know what the fuck you guys are doing coming at me as If I'm the one in the wrong.

Dude, why are you getting so worked up? I was just making a joke due that one topic where idiots thought that you can't be both Muslim and gay. My apologies.

I obviously don't think that GAF's non-Muslims thinks liberalism and Islam are incompatible because I'm one of the non-Muslims on GAF who doesn't think that they're incompatible.

Dadasch

It seems like American Muslims tend to be more socially/religiously liberal compared to European Muslims, why is this?

A higher ratio of muslims increases the chance to form a parallel society in which you are actually able to live in the country without really speaking the language of said country. You tend to "stay together" which contradicts the multicultural approach.

But to be perfectly clear: This goes both ways.
My father immigrated in the 70s from Turkey to Germany, being a construction worker for all those years he never really learned the german language, which is his failing, but from the beginning they were viewed as "Guests" who would work here for decades to just leave when they were not needed anymore.
And in most cases these people were just not educated...like at all. The only reason they immigrated is because of economical anxieties in their home countries, no work, no future etc.
So you have a lot of uneducated, muslim people, who are just not adapted to this lifestyle, so they are forming their own world, kind of separated to the native world.

Now times are indeed changing, but there is also the second generation which, in some cases, just couldn't adapt also, because they are basically living two lives.
My whole life I only spoke turkish at home and when I'm out for school and friends I generally speak german of course and to be quite honest: This is not for everyone.

Living two lives influences their school, their behavior, nearly everything. Failing in school you can't really expect much help from your parents, because...well, you know why.

As consequence you will reach a point where you feel useless and helpless and this is exactly the point where the extremists want to see you, because only then you will be able to accept their fiendish thinking.

It all boils down to uneducated people, who just doesn't feel accepted in society. These are my observations.

verbatimo

Trouble is in Europe that part of Muslim communites don't want to integrate, because they consider Western culture to be inferior to their own culture. They hate liberal democracy, woman's rights, secular state, sexual freedom etc. They despise non-Muslims. For them, Western societies are sinful and rotten.

It's no wonder why people are pessimistic when it comes to muslim immigration in Europe.

Politico: Europe’s Muslims hate the West

http://www.politico.eu/article/brus...urope-muslims-brussels-attacks-airport-metro/

"Almost 60 percent of Europe’s Muslims reject homosexuals as friends and 45 percent think that Jews cannot be trusted. More than half believe that the West is out to destroy Islam."

"Muslim integration into Europe societies is successful when Muslims are willing to give up the mental confinement of their home countries — countries, let’s not forget, which they left in search of a better life. For as long as they refuse to adapt to a European state of mind, they will perpetuate resentment and a culture of violence."

Top Bottom