• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare: Dragon Age 3 "looks stunningly beautiful", "people won't be disappointed"

Rubius

So does this mean that the textures are going to be too good to pan out to as far as you could in Origins?

I just want it to not be THAT glitchy. I had to save every 5 min because the game crashed on me 10 times I had to redo an hour of gameplay each time.
I also could not romantize Leliana, even when she was at 100 because of a glitch.
I had to sleep with a witch who gave birth to a God Demon child because Leliana would not sleep with me.
That's on YOUR conscience Bioware. Not mine.

I'm willing to bet people will be disappointed.

In-Fable-3-you-can-do-ANYTHING.gif

shiroryu

It just occurred to me that I'm sitting here hoping that DA3 will be much more like DA1, when looking back, I actually hated a good portion of my DA1 playthrough. It had a lot of problems that tend to get overlooked in the wake of the DA2 catastrophe.

I guess what I'm saying is.. I just... I .... I don't know what to think.

*Plays Persona 3*

Well, the two series are quite similar, except in DA you do your dating and monster killing simultaneously.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just want it to not be THAT glitchy. I had to save every 5 min because the game crashed on me 10 times I had to redo an hour of gameplay each time.
I also could not romantize Leliana, even when she was at 100 because of a glitch.
I had to sleep with a witch who gave birth to a God Demon child because Leliana would not sleep with me.

Tinypic has long been banned here.

JaseC

But I said nothing about media such as trailers. Only interviews, as I said before people who are interested in a particular game tend to read up on interviews.

If you're ignoring marketing material, then why did you respond to my post addressing Brutal Legend as another example of dishonest messaging? Saying that those interested in the game would have gleaned the omitted information from interviews is irrelevant -- my post, thanks to the post I was responding to, was within the context of mass-marketing. It seems we're talking at cross-purposes.

uncdeez

I'm willing to bet people will be disappointed.
I'm much more concerned about the art direction and the variety of areas you visit. DA 2 problem wasn't the creakiness of the game engine but the lousy art and traversing the same cave/warehouse/outdoor area.

Did you play the console version of Origins? I never had those problem on the PC version and I don't think I even patched the game at all. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Rubius

I'm much more concerned about the art direction and the variety of areas you visit. DA 2 problem wasn't the creakiness of the game engine but the lousy art and traversing the same cave/warehouse/outdoor area.

Did you play the console version of Origins? I never had those problem on the PC version and I don't think I even patched the game at all. Maybe I'm just lucky.

PC version. Might been my graphic card, but I updated a couple of time. But there is so many glitches in Dragon age that every, single, page of the wiki have Glitch list.
This one is the one that made it impossible to do the loyalty mission of Leliana.
"One important dialogue option that leads to Leliana's background quest can be lost if you get her approval too high without talking to her. Therefore, do not simply shower Leliana with gifts—talk to her and make sure you choose "I heard that in Orlais, minstrels are often spies" when that option appears. As her approval increases further, you can no longer ask it. Leliana's background quest requires her to first tell you a lie about her background, and then feel bad and come clean on it. If the question about spies disappears from the dialogue options before you ask it, you will never learn of Leliana's past and you will not get the quest to seek out her former bard master, Marjolaine. Using Feastday Gifts and Pranks is also a useful way to deal with this problem for those still encountering it."
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Leliana

Never got the dialogue at all.

If they think the reason I was disappointed in Dragon Age 2 was because of the graphics.......they dont know what theyre talking about..........i dont remember Dragon Age Origins being a graphical powerhouse, and it is quite possibly the best game i have ever played.

diamount

Banned
If you're ignoring marketing material, then why did you respond to my post addressing Brutal Legend as another example of dishonest messaging? Saying that those interested in the game would have gleaned the omitted information from interviews is irrelevant.

I'm not ignoring marketing material. I just linked you two forms of marketing material with devs promoting their game and it's features. Using the word 'deceptive' makes no sense in this regard because that would mean they would be saying the game something it isn't. It was a third person game with lite RTS mechanics.

RTS was hardly a deep part of the game and was more of an afterthought.

antitrop

If they think the reason I was disappointed in Dragon Age 2 was because of the graphics.......they dont know what theyre talking about..........i dont remember Dragon Age Origins being a graphical powerhouse, and it is quite possibly the best game i have ever played.
DA1 on PC w/ mods looks pretty great, actually.

I first played through the game on 360, though, and it looked dated by pretty much any standards.

JaseC

I'm not ignoring marketing material. I just linked you two forms of marketing material with devs promoting their game and it's features. Using the word 'deceptive' makes no sense in this regard because that would mean they would be saying the game something it isn't. It was a third person game with lite RTS mechanics.

But the mass-market material -- trailers, namely -- makes no mention of the RTS elements, which was my point. Did you even view the article regarding Alice, which was featured in the post I responded to -- the post that kicked this back-and-forth off? It specifically states:

Alice: The Madness Returns developer American McGee has complained about the way publisher EA's demands led to the game being presented in trailers, suggesting it tried to "trick" gamers.

(And it's possible to by deceptive by omission.)

RTS was hardly a deep part of the game and was more of an afterthought.

Clearly, but that's irrelevant.

I'm excited to hear about Dragon Age 3.

But I must confess, I have't played any of its' series. I own DA1 but have yet to play and heard DA2 wasn't that good. Is DA2 recommended to play after DA1?

diamount

Banned
But the mass-market material -- trailers, namely -- makes no mention of the RTS elements, which was my point. Did you even view the article regarding Alice, which was featured in the post I responded to -- the post that kicked this back-and-forth off? It specifically states:

(And it's possible to by deceptive by omission.)

Clearly, but that's irrelevant.

I don't see what there was to misrepresent about Alice.

Call me crazy, but I kinda liked the new Qunari design in 2.

Except for the fact that pretty much every Qunari was a copy/paste clone of each other.

I don't mind the new Qunari in DA2, but I didn't mind Sten in Origins. I always liked how the in-game codex and lore in Origins described the Qunari as these beastly giants of people and in reality they were just sort of larger than average people like anyone else. And then how in DA2 they seemingly made the Qunari a bunch of shirtless savage warrior types when in Origins they were described as being decked out in glittering steel armor and far more technologically advanced than everyone else.

I didn't really care for the art of DA2 that much- they mostly took Origins and slapped horns, spikes, jagged edges and feathers on everything. And they made the elves look like Pinnochio style Donkey hybrids.

Honestly, I liked Dragon Age's original art style, before it was even called Dragon Age:Origins:
This was Morrigan, Alistair, Leliana, Oghren and Zevran originally:
This is supposed to be the Fade:
This was supposed to be Redcliffe:
This was supposed to be the Korcari Wilds:
This was Alistair originally:

Well, at the least, the graphics just from Origins to DA2 was pretty significant... considering how poor Origins looked on consoles. So I'm sure DA3 will look great, given the trend!
Except Origins looked fine on PC, so I didn't see much of a jump between Origins and 2, outside of the change in art style which is subjective and the more barren and sterile environments.

So we are never getting a sequel to DA1, are we?

We are just going to ignore your character, Morrigan, and your baby.

Seriously, what the fuck?

I can all but guarantee that at least Morrigan will be in DA3. And they'll probably address the Old God Baby. But they'll probably kill off your Warden from Origins off screen or turn them into some dolt that you can't control.

At this point the game has basically had six more months of development than Dragon Age 2 did in total before we have even seen it.

This is true, yet my impression is that a lot of this time has been in working on and learning the tech and Frostbite. So how much time have they actually been making content? They were also working on that expansion for a while before they abandoned support of DA2.

Dragon Age 3 will be marketed to infinity and beyond. Whatever Bioware claims or actually produces, will be negated by the sheer amount of exposure and advertising this game will have.

Subsequently game reviewers will give it 8 or 9 out of 10 based on DA3's budget alone. When all is said and done, a couple of million copies will have been sold and Bioware will repeat the same "we learned from our mistakes. THIS time, DA4 will be glorious."
I hope the game is good, but I get the impression that it'll no doubt look better as a function of being on Frostbite. But simply because DA2 was so crummy, people will rate DA3 highly as a function of comparing it to being better than DA2... despite the fact that many of the big name review sites gave DA2 generally favorable reviews in the first place. The better comparison would likely be whether DA3 is better than Origins, since I'm going to guess many "improvements" that DA3 makes will be things Origins did in the first place that were missing from DA2- like a more flexible camera.

Perhaps "people won't be disappointed" is as high as Bioware needs to aim, as they climb out of their self-dug hole that the ME3 debacle and TOR created for them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is true, yet my impression is that a lot of this time has been in working on and learning the tech and Frostbite. So how much time have they actually been making content? They were also working on that expansion for a while before they abandoned support of DA2.

Generally extended content gets a relatively small team, and this one was always planned as a digital expansion pack, so I can't imagine it was huge.

I think something to keep in mind is that BioWare Edmonton + Montreal makes up about 500 of BioWare's 800 people IIRC. Mass Effect 3 was wrapping up by Q1 2012, so they have had a ton of people doing *something* all this time.

uncdeez

PC version. Might been my graphic card, but I updated a couple of time. But there is so many glitches in Dragon age that every, single, page of the wiki have Glitch list.
This one is the one that made it impossible to do the loyalty mission of Leliana.
"One important dialogue option that leads to Leliana's background quest can be lost if you get her approval too high without talking to her. Therefore, do not simply shower Leliana with gifts—talk to her and make sure you choose "I heard that in Orlais, minstrels are often spies" when that option appears. As her approval increases further, you can no longer ask it. Leliana's background quest requires her to first tell you a lie about her background, and then feel bad and come clean on it. If the question about spies disappears from the dialogue options before you ask it, you will never learn of Leliana's past and you will not get the quest to seek out her former bard master, Marjolaine. Using Feastday Gifts and Pranks is also a useful way to deal with this problem for those still encountering it."
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Leliana

Never got the dialogue at all.
That sucks, the only glitch I remember discovering was the infinite experience glitch with Duncan. Did you ever taint the Urn of Sacred Ashes with Leliana in your party? Good times.

Something awesome happens everytime you press a button, 3.
Mmmmmmm. What was the other line, "fight like a spartan or think like a general?" Hopefully they dumped that marketing team.

Generally extended content gets a relatively small team, and this one was always planned as a digital expansion pack, so I can't imagine it was huge.

I think something to keep in mind is that BioWare Edmonton + Montreal makes up about 500 of BioWare's 800 people IIRC. Mass Effect 3 was wrapping up by Q1 2012, so they have had a ton of people doing *something* all this time.

True... but isn't BioWare supposedly doing a brand new IP in addition to Mass Effect and Dragon Age?

Also Dragon Age 3 related: a chance to play test Dragon Age 3 if you live around Vancouver

I guess its a foregone conclusion Dragon Age 3 will have some form of multiplayer, so some of the questions on that survey are interesting, like whether you enjoy playing with or against people online.

Kind of adds to the pile of evidence that a reveal has to be coming pretty soon too, I guess.

Mmmmmmm. What was the other line, "fight like a spartan or think like a general?" Hopefully they dumped that marketing team.

Heh. They actually did sort of. The former Marketing Director for BioWare, David Silverman, is now the Marketing Director for Battlefield.

This is the greatest thing I have ever read.

"Can you make fantasy beautiful in a different way? We think we have something special for Dragon Age 3: Inquisition," he mused, adding that the game will shun the "subdued colour palette and harsh brown feel" typical of much current fantasy media.
I liked this part the best.
Hopefully we get some nice footage at E3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
True... but isn't BioWare supposedly doing a brand new IP in addition to Mass Effect and Dragon Age?
They are, but it's worth considering how EA's mega studios (as well as several other publishers) work.

Essentially there's a core team of about 30 or so people that work on a project for a year prototyping gameplay, iterating on concepts, planning things out, and assuring the core of the game is strong (pre-production), and then a veritable army of people (200+) enter in and start making art assets and content en masse. Then there's a polish phase where a smaller team works on making sure everything is actually fun and good and adjusting as needed. Of course, polish and iteration still constantly happens in the main phase, but you don't have to worry about blowing your budget out in pre-production or post-production while tweaking things.

By doing this you can have a vast amount of staff and not have to lay them off as work on a project ends, instead shifting them to a project that's exiting pre-production as the current project winds down. It also helps efficiency by ensuring something is ready to receive a large amount of staff instead of only starting one project after the current one ends.

Some single team studios do this as well (Bethesda for example), they just have a smaller team doing prototyping for the next project so they can get a giant ass game out in 2-3 years instead of 3-5.

I would guess that BioWare's new IP and Mass Effect 4 are still in the pre-production phase while the army of people are working on Dragon Age 3 judging by BioWare's general statements about still deciding where to go with Mass Effect 4 and inherently new IPs take a long pre-production cycle.

Also Dragon Age 3 related: a chance to play test Dragon Age 3 if you live around Vancouver

I guess its a foregone conclusion Dragon Age 3 will have some form of multiplayer, so some of the questions on that survey are interesting, like whether you enjoy playing with or against people online.

Kind of adds to the pile of evidence that a reveal has to be coming pretty soon too, I guess.

Yeah if I had to guess I would say it has both campaign co-op (Edmonton) and some kind of separate co-op and/or competitive mode (Montreal).

Good find.

Heh. They actually did sort of. The former Marketing Director for BioWare, David Silverman, is now the Marketing Director for Battlefield.
Yeah, while I think he did good work, I feel this is a much better fit.

Battlefield's awesome button is much more on target. :p

Omega

Banned
i like how these devs don't understand the point of video games.

and it all brings me back to the first "tomb clancy" thread where the op says "dat music, dat atmosphere, dat [insert irrelevant shit here]" but he forgot to add dat gameplay to the list

who gives a shit how your game looks? DAO looked like shit but it was considered a great game. No one was disappointed with it.

maybe one day developers will realize gameplay matters most. until then i guess we'll just have to live with $100million tech demos.

Derrick01

Banned
i like how these devs don't understand the point of video games.

and it all brings me back to the first "tomb clancy" thread where the op says "dat music, dat atmosphere, dat [insert irrelevant shit here]" but he forgot to add dat gameplay to the list

who gives a shit how your game looks? DAO looked like shit but it was considered a great game. No one was disappointed with it.

maybe one day developers will realize gameplay matters most. until then i guess we'll just have to live with $100million tech demos.

It's pretty safe to say that EA will never get that with their games.

JaseC

It's pretty safe to say that EA will never get that with their games.

Some EA games don't even let you play them!

Feeling the sense of urgency, I leave my teammates behind, blasting everything in my path. Through the dust of war, now blanketing the bloody aftermath, a staircase emerges. I race up to the second floor, not thinking to look back. At the crest, a locked door impedes my progress, and, with no dedicated "use" key, I wait for my allies to pave the way forward. Silence. I backtrack, my eyes darting across the now-derelict office that had once offered a glimpse of hell. "Perhaps they are stuck on geometry?" I ask myself. No, even worse: they had abandoned me.

(Battlefield 3 dumped my teammates because I ran too far ahead of them and missed a scripted event.)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really curious to see how Frostbite does in a fantasy setting for this and in the sci-fi setting of Mass Effect.

Jhriad

We think we have something special for Dragon Age 3: Inquisition," he mused, adding that the game will shun the "subdued colour palette and harsh brown feel" typical of much current fantasy media.

Dragon Age 3: World of Shit Mountaincraft incoming.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(Battlefield 3 dumped my teammates because I ran too far ahead of them and missed a scripted event.)

you deserved that for leaving YOUR PEOPLE BEHIND!

also co-op in campaign or horde mode (done right of course) makes this instabuy for me. But... on the other hand co-op campaign will have to feature good writing to hold attention of 2 people instead of one. It comes from my experience in Dungeon Siege III that we skip all unnecessary shit and stop only at parts when the game starts to resemble an Obsidian game, i.e. the main villain stops being 2 dimensional maniac and we actually have to discuss what choice to make. This is a great mechanic but it needs great writers and Bioware has problems with that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Then, how about showing your game then Bioware?

Oh I know... it's not that beautiful yet.

Aaron

Just have a decent story for once. DA was full of boring characters and fantasy tropes. DA2 was just a mess with a horrible, stupid ending.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Just have a decent story for once. DA was full of boring characters and fantasy tropes. DA2 was just a mess with a horrible, stupid ending.

Almost every idea in the world has been recycled thousands of times. There is nothing new under the sun when it comes to writing. So the only thing you can hope for is that fantasy tropes will be done well.

Top Bottom