• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Hahahahaha, count me in for the "I've made a huge mistake" crowd after meeting Rise. She's the best.

Damn, this is pretty much my order of "designs I like", before playing the game. I hope it'll end up being the same when I get to know them.

Makoto is the best, but there's a teacher and she's older and bxcvkjocjncnokljhgnn

Fuck this game.

I saved myself for Naoto.

For 5 I'm very curious about the older ladies, as the series has only flirted with the idea before.

mdubs

Banned
It's funny to think of it in real-world terms.

"No, I do like you, and I definitely might want to date you, but... I REALLY need to see what this next girl we'll be meeting soon is all about first."

I don't know why but I have a mental image of Yu Narukami in the anime actually saying this in the most non-chalant way possible

But, but, but...

If there is a "sensei" route, how can I deny him true love?

The problem for me is twofold.

Confidant spoiler:
In order to maximize your playtime, you're obliged to make use of (and most of the time pay for) her 'services' so that you can do activities after a Mementos/dungeon run. So right away the relationship feels exploitative

Story spoiler:
And even after the school is roiling from the Kamoshida scandal, another teacher at the same school appears unable to resist the temptation of her student's romantic overtures. In a game with toilet demons in a metaverse, that's stretching my suspension of disbelief.

I feel that instead of writing a better character with more believable motivations they went the 'fuck it fanservice > all' route and the MC is never seriously challenged on the decisions made with that route. This is probably a fair accusation to lob at the franchise as a whole, I just feel it's a particular weakness in this route.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The problem for me is twofold.

Confidant spoiler:
In order to maximize your playtime, you're obliged to make use of (and most of the time pay for) her 'services' so that you can do activities after a Mementos/dungeon run. So right away the relationship feels exploitative

Story spoiler:
And even after the school is roiling from the Kamoshida scandal, another teacher at the same school appears unable to resist the temptation of her student's romantic overtures. In a game with toilet demons in a metaverse, that's stretching my suspension of disbelief.

I feel that instead of writing a better character with more believable motivations they went the 'fuck it fanservice > all' route and the MC is never seriously challenged on the decisions made with that route. This is probably a fair accusation to lob at the franchise as a whole, I just feel it's a particular weakness in this route.

This was kinda along the lines of some thoughts I had regarding this link as well. Also curious to see the how/what exactly they address with the english translation.

Personally, probably going Makoto 1st playthrough (if her English VA doesn't kill it for me), then probably Tae second time around or as a backup for 1st time.

mollipen

Confidant spoiler:

Well, some things do feel a little weird no matter what. But the way I saw the main chunk of it was
that I felt really sorry for her being in that position, and I'd rather hire her for a shift and help her with her money problem, than have some other guy hire her for that shift who won't be looking to be so innocent with her time.

I do agree, though, that there's a lot more that could have been done with the relationship in terms of telling a better story. But, I also thought the path was strangely sweet, if you didn't push to make it creepy.

Voror

I'm still on the fence though I haven't seen enough yet probably. Leaning Makoto right now, but we'll see if that changes. I went Rise for P4 and it's been so long I can't quite recall for P3.

WaterAstro

Is there a perfect max social link guide?

Do they give you a lot of buffer to get them all maxed? I just don't want a Persona 3 situation where you literally have no days to spare to get max.

I thought I was going to 100% be on the Makoto train when she was first revealed, but I was legit surprised how much I ended up liking the protagonist's dynamic with Ann from what I saw of import impressions and clips. Well, I was going to do two playthroughs anyway...

Also, Atlus, not being able to romance Yusuke is cruel enough, but having him voiced by Matthew Mercer is extra cruel. Drive the knife in deeper, why don't you.

So if i can talk about characters ..let me write my thoughts about them:

Protagonist : AWESOME

Ann : Goood at the start , rough in the middle , nice end

Yusuke : Great when he appears , Dull in the middle , ok ending.

Morgana : Superbe start , awesome middle , excellent ending

Makoto : Excellent start , good middle , great ending , excellent girlfriend.
Futaba : Good start , nice middle , great ending , superb girlfriend
Haru : Rough start , understandable given the context , nice middle , good ending ,intresting girlfriend

Goro : Good start , excellent middle , ok ending , NIce girlfriend ( I Wish )

Munehisa : Lol Start , nice middle , good ending

Sojiro : Nice start ,Good middle , Great ending

Tae : Excellent start , Great middle , good ending , Girlfriend of the year , Top 3 waifu
Hifumi : Great start , superb middle , great ending , I'm not worthy of being your boyfriend ,
Should have been part of the thieves gang
, Top 3 waifu

Toranosuke : Confusing start , intresting middle , great end

Sadayo : Good start , Great middle , Awesome ending , Hidden gem of girlfriend in this game. Top 3 waifu

Chihaya : Most predictable S-link , good start , good middle , great ending ( yet her story was well told ) , Good girlfriend.

Yuuki : Bad start , good middle , great ending

Shinya : Ok start , good middle , good ending

Ichiko : Nice start , ok middle , good ending

Igor : GREAT ,GREAT , GREAT

Caroline & Justine : GREAT , GREAT , GREAT , can i give them a hug ?

Sae : Great start , Awesome middle , Great end

-----------------------------------------------------
Waifu ranking :
1) Tae
2) Hifumi
3) Sadayo

4) Makoto
5) Futaba
6) Haru
7) Chihaya
8) Ann

I wanted to get this off my chest in MONTHS

mrmickfran

Coming in here from the regular OT like

giphy.gif

Eylos

Banned

Haru : Rough start , understandable given the context , nice middle , good ending ,intresting girlfriend

Tae : Excellent start , Great middle , good ending , Girlfriend of the year , Top 3 waifu
Hifumi : Great start , superb middle , great ending , I'm not worthy of being your boyfriend ,
, Top 3 waifu

Sadayo : Good start , Great middle , Awesome ending , Hidden gem of girlfriend in this game. Top 3 waifu

Chihaya : Most predictable S-link , good start , good middle , great ending ( yet her story was well told ) , Good girlfriend.

Waifu ranking :
1) Tae
2) Hifumi
3) Sadayo

4) Makoto
5) Futaba
6) Haru
7) Chihaya
8) Ann

OK First play i think i Will date everyone now

, Top 3 waifu

Waifu ranking :
1) Tae
2) Hifumi
3) Sadayo

4) Makoto
5) Futaba
6) Haru
7) Chihaya
8) Ann

What made you dislike Anne and like Tae that much? From everything I've heard Anne is among the more fulfilling romances. In fact, I haven't seen shit of Tae's romance. Is it well developed or does it seem like an after thought by the writers? Loads of events?

I ask because Tae was definitely the one I was interested in the most on the first reveal, but everything I've heard is that
she largely uses you as a test subject for her medicines

zMiiChy-

Banned
I'm interested in this game, but did they really need to keep the harem aspect?
That type of masculine culture is utterly revolting.

The main character is really cute, and yet Atlus neglected to feature homosexual relationships in their games yet again...

TheChaos

I'm interested in this game, but did they really need to keep the harem aspect?
That type of masculine culture is utterly revolting.

The main character is really cute, and yet Atlus neglected to feature homosexual relationships in their games yet again...

It's infuriating because we as Westerners can criticize it and campaign up and down but it won't make a difference to a game meant for Japanese people. Whatever. It's going to get brushed under the rug because "LOL Japan".

Team Makoto all the way.

I wonder who the least popular romance option will be. I'm gonna guess it will be Ichiko(reporter) just based on pre-release chatter on who will romance who.

Voror

The bit about Hifumi having originally been intended to be a part of the game in quite interesting. Makes me curious to see her S.Link.

Corginand

Is the fact that
Goro joins your party
considered a spoiler?

I heard
he says 'I've been waiting for this' before doing an All-Out Attack
just like Akihiko and if that's true, that automatically makes him best husbando.

Venfayth

Oh we get a waifu OT now? Thank god I don't have to hear people complaining about them ruining their pure video game!

DNAbro

Is the fact that
Goro joins your party
considered a spoiler?

I heard
he says 'I've been waiting for this' before doing an All-Out Attack
just like Akihiko and if that's true, that automatically makes him best husbando.

Well Atlus kept it secret even after launch so I would say it could be considered one.

Alastor3

, Top 3 waifu

Waifu ranking :
1) Tae
2) Hifumi
3) Sadayo

4) Makoto
5) Futaba
6) Haru
7) Chihaya
8) Ann

How do you have enough days in the game to date everyone? It is still limited to a year like in P3 ?

Cornbread78

, Top 3 waifu
Waifu ranking :
1) Tae
2) Hifumi
3) Sadayo

4) Makoto
5) Futaba
6) Haru
7) Chihaya
8) Ann

Dammit R_T... How am I going to be able to choose one?

Answer these for me please:

- Which would you say is the best "pure" romance? Straight out of a romance novel
- Which is the most "lustful/ecchi" romance?
- Which is the most "fun" romance?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Yeah I'm just going to do what I did the first time playing Persona 4. Be single the whole time and take the fujobait responses.

My first time through my plan was to just feel out the story and go from there. It's what eventually led me to Haru. I won't spoil anything, but for me it just made the most sense.

Am I misreading this or are you not allowed to speak of the social links in the OT?

More like the second you talk about your choice of romance the conversation tends to devolve and/or somebody immediately starts crying that they can't discuss the game without it going into waifu talk. So better to keep it separated so we can have our time.

More like the second you talk about your choice of romance the conversation tends to devolve and/or somebody immediately starts crying that they can't discuss the game without it going into waifu talk. So better to keep it separated so we can have our time.

Hmm, can we have another OT explicitly for people who just want to complain about romance talk?

Top Bottom