• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Jarmel

Banned
Never had problems with ZOE 1 (though I haven't played much yet). ZOE 2 is quite a bit more demanding, though compared to those youtube analysis vids of the 360/ps3 conversions, my pc seems to be handling the game much better at 3x the native res.

I'm on a 2500k @ 4.5 and a 6970. ZOE 2 noticeably drops frames the higher I increase the resolution (3x is the highest I can go while maintaining 60fps) so maybe your 670 will fare much better. I also noticed that enabling the multi core speedhack lowers my framerate as well. Maybe that's why it isn't part of the default settings in pcsx2?

Thanks for the writeup. I'm just trying to decide whether to go X360 or the PC for the superior experience.

Souther

Banned
Super Robot Wars Z.

PS2 Internal Rez 4x @ Desktop of 1920x1080
Game is 4:3 natively but still looks awesome even stretched to 16:9
Using Direct X 11 Plugin. There is a minor transparency issue with the character portrait. Other
than that runs amazing 60fps locked.

XenoRaven

I searched the thread, didn't look through each page, but I couldn't find any configs posted for FFX. I'm having an issue where the sound is like a half a second behind the gameplay. How would I go about fixing this?

Also, I have to look into that widescreen patch because that looked amazing.

Necrovex

Is it possible to legally get PS2 games' bios from a 60 gig PS3, or is the only way to get those bios is through a PS2? I have to find out if I must search for a PS2!

stryke

Is it possible to legally get PS2 games' bios from a 60 gig PS3, or is the only way to get those bios is through a PS2? I have to find out if I must search for a PS2!

There is no PS2 bios in a PS3. A bios within a bios just sounds (to my uneducated IT mind) weird.

Ledsen

There is no PS2 bios in a PS3. A bios within a bios just sounds (to my uneducated IT mind) weird.

I think he means ISO files. As to your point, if there is an emulator involved, there is probably an emulated BIOS involved. It's no different than having a PS2 BIOS on your computer (which also has a BIOS).

The PS3 doesn't have a PS2 BIOS in it, it would be a lot of bulk (you don't need the PS2's menu, memory card manager, etc). Instead, it has some high level code that simulates the bios (something that would be a PITA to reverse engineer, but luckily Sony knows how it's PS2 bios works and can easily program one). Even if you did dump it, PCSX2 would have no idea what to do with it... so to answer your question no. You'd need a real PS2 to dump a real PS2 bios.

(edit) Ledson: Actually, it seems pretty clear that they are asking about the BIOS since PS2 games can be dumped from any standard DVD drive. The only way to legally obtain a BIOS file is from dumping it from a PS2.

(edit 2) Fail on my part ;)

Necrovex

I think he means ISO files. As to your point, if there is an emulator involved, there is probably an emulated BIOS involved. It's no different than having a PS2 BIOS on your computer (which also has a BIOS).

Bad wording on my part, but yes, I was referring to the ISO files.

But it is indeed good to know that the PS3 doesn't have the PS2 bios needed for this program. I'll have to find one of my friends and acquire their PS2 Bios.

(edit) Ledson: Actually, it seems pretty clear that they are asking about the BIOS since PS2 games can be dumped from any standard DVD drive. The only way to legally obtain a BIOS file is from dumping it from a PS2.

That's the answer I was looking for! Thanks, Koji. Time to see my friend to acquire the PS2 bios, so I can get this emulator working!

Vossler

Is there a good config for ZoE 2? I have a 2500k @ 4.2 and a GTX 670.....I'm thinking I will get better results than the recently released HD collection while I await on hopefully a VITA port (not likely, I know).

Nvm, apparently I forgot how to read the OP....

Necrovex

Because it's Halloween, I decided to finally try this emulator with a game I haven't played yet, Fatal Frame.

I am having some issues with getting the screen not breaking a little (bottom screen has purplely and color lines coming from it). Going to continue to mess around with the emulator to see if I can fix this issue.

Does SVN r5128 plugin comes along with the current build of the emulator?

Edit: Ah, it might work better if I can rip my PS2 disk into an ISO. Time to try that!

Victrix

*beard*
All the recent Square and Matsuno talk had me digging out my FF12 disc to experience it again.

Upshot: It looks bloody amazing in PCSX2, I can't believe the texture quality.

Downside: There appears to be a bug that if I use non-native texture resolution, it causes shadows in realtime cutscenes (and occasionally while walking around) to show up as black squares.

Is there any known fixes for this? Googling showed several other people with the same problem, but no outright fixes I could find.

Playing it without upressing the textures sorta defeats the point of emulating it instead of just running it on my PS2 :(

Tomodachi

All the recent Square and Matsuno talk had me digging out my FF12 disc to experience it again.

Upshot: It looks bloody amazing in PCSX2, I can't believe the texture quality.

Downside: There appears to be a bug that if I use non-native texture resolution, it causes shadows in realtime cutscenes (and occasionally while walking around) to show up as black squares.

Is there any known fixes for this? Googling showed several other people with the same problem, but no outright fixes I could find.

Playing it without upressing the textures sorta defeats the point of emulating it instead of just running it on my PS2 :(

I recently played it from start to finish without a single glitch, here are my settings: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42532465&postcount=1108

Are you using the latest version of the emulator? Can you post a screenshot of your glitch?

Victrix

*beard*
Apparently having my res set to something other than my native desktop res was the problem - that or some combination of DX11 and MSAA fixed it. In any case, thank you, it's working beautifully now.

Between this and Xenoblade on Dolphin... let's just say I'm impressed. They look amazing.

Also I'm captain Basch fon Ronsenburg

Seik

Banned
Apparently having my res set to something other than my native desktop res was the problem - that or some combination of DX11 and MSAA. In any case, thank you, it's working beautifully now.

Between this and Xenoblade on Dolphin... let's just say I'm impressed. They look amazing.

I had some similar graphic glitches with MSAA when playing Persona 3. As soon as I removed it everything went back to normal, hope this will help you.

Tomodachi

Apparently having my res set to something other than my native desktop res was the problem - that or some combination of DX11 and MSAA fixed it. In any case, thank you, it's working beautifully now.

Don't listen to Ondore's lies!

By the way try increasing your resolution (in the settings I posted I kept it at 1080p native because my CPU isn't the best but I actually increased it now and then to 1440p, mainly to take screenshots, without issues). Downsampling looks even more beautiful so I suggest something like 2560x1440 or above if your pc can handle it.
Your problem was probably DX11, should have been the first thing to tell you but I kinda forgot. It's supported poorly by FFXII, sticking to DX9 instead should solve every problem regardless of resolution and AA.

Talking about AA, the guide linked in the OP mentions some problems about setting it above 4x but I think this got resolved in the latest versions of the emulator, I could set it at 8x without graphical glitches (performance on my rig was however compromised, so I had to leave it at 4x in the final settings).

FFXII on PCSX2 actually seems something you'd expect from the current generation, it's so amazing. Can't wait to replay it again next year in its job zodiac system incarnation.
Too bad I can't play Xenoblade on Dolphin at a decent framerate, will wait for my next pc for that :(

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah it seems perfect so far, the only glitch I've seen is a 'line' of corruption at the very edge of the screen, something to do with fullscreen. It's really minor though, not a big deal.

I had to go through several builds of Dolphin to find one with the right Xenoblade fixes etc, but once I did, it ran well.

dsk1210

Right I want to patch Okami for widescreen, can somebody explain to me how i do this?

Never patched any ps2 games before, i am going to play okami.iso using pcsx2 1.0

Anyone have a working widescreen patch (.pnach file) for Odin Sphere 16:9? I can't seem to get the widescreen helper program to pick up any values to test with.

friz898

So I just finished FF XII for a second time. I had not played it since release in 2006. This made the game a semi new experience because I didn't really remember anything until I saw it again. I hardly remembered the story. Giruvegan, stuck out to me. I guess it was really well designed with the mist reflections while you're running. Also it was nice finally playing the international zodiac job system version.

Anyway, as others have stated, I kept texting old friends saying "OMG you have no idea how good this looks. It looks better than some ps3 games with all this AA!"

So basically, besides PCSX2 and Dolphin, which other emulators are out there that can give me a better resolution and cleaned up graphics for the older stuff?

Anything like that for PSP, PS1, or DS? I'm specially looking at replaying DQ9 (even tho it isn't that old I know), LoH: Trails for psp, and also Chrono Trigger, with the psx version seemingly the best.

Gbraga

EDIT3: Everything's fine now! Wooooo

A screenshot I took

pcsx2-r53502012-11-180xuxz.png

Guys, I can't seem to change the resolution no matter what I do. I'm running the "GSDx 5534 (MSVC 16.00, SSE2) 0.1.16 [gsdx32-sse2-r5350]" plug in and set the resolution to 3x native scaling but to no avail. Devil Summoner 2 keeps launching in its default resolution.

edit: Nevermind, the game always starts in a small window mode. Alt+enter reveals its true resolution and it seems to be fine. I took a screenshot with fraps and the resolution was as desired. Is there a list of PS2 games that support 16:9 widescreen?

Celegus

I finally gave this emulation thing a try, since I just built a new PC and have had a bunch of useless save files from games I was halfway through when my 80gb BC PS3 died a while back. Everything runs super smoothly and looks amazing! I really didn't think there would be that much of a difference. Really curious about Dolphin now.

The only issue I'm having is getting the analog sticks to work, and just controller problems in general. I'm using a Sixaxis plugged in via USB, which has always been a crapshoot with MotioninJoy. I really wish Windows would just natively support it like a 360 controller.

Celegus

Persona 4 works fine, but I tried FFXII and there is a constant "static" in the audio. Changing any of the settings doesn't seem to help at all, and I still can't get the analog sticks to work at all. Hm.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

androvsky

I finally gave this emulation thing a try, since I just built a new PC and have had a bunch of useless save files from games I was halfway through when my 80gb BC PS3 died a while back. Everything runs super smoothly and looks amazing! I really didn't think there would be that much of a difference. Really curious about Dolphin now.

The only issue I'm having is getting the analog sticks to work, and just controller problems in general. I'm using a Sixaxis plugged in via USB, which has always been a crapshoot with MotioninJoy. I really wish Windows would just natively support it like a 360 controller.

I just got finished with fighting the analog sticks problem myself. I'm connecting via bluetooth, but it might still work for you. Go into motioninjoy's profile page, select XInput, go into the options page, save the settings even though you haven't changed anything, then go back to the profiles page. PCSX2 should see an XInput device now that works. In general, I think switching motioninjoy profiles seems to require going into the options page for the selected profile and saving.

The second option is to use a special lilypad plugin for PCSX2 and the pressure-sensitive PS2 option. I wouldn't because I'm not sure how many other games that mode would work with, and I prefer to not mess with motioninjoy more than I have to. Fun story: After I got my controller finally working correctly in PCSX2, I was worried that the battery might be low, so I plugged it into my computer. Instant BSOD, first one I recall seeing on my win 7 64 computer. :(

Also, speaking of adding PS2 games to Steam, I'd like to use this with Big Picture Mode. Is there a way to exit PCSX2 from the controller, preferably by hitting the guide button?

Celegus

I just got finished with fighting the analog sticks problem myself. I'm connecting via bluetooth, but it might still work for you. Go into motioninjoy's profile page, select XInput, go into the options page, save the settings even though you haven't changed anything, then go back to the profiles page. PCSX2 should see an XInput device now that works. In general, I think switching motioninjoy profiles seems to require going into the options page for the selected profile and saving.

The second option is to use a special lilypad plugin for PCSX2 and the pressure-sensitive PS2 option. I wouldn't because I'm not sure how many other games that mode would work with, and I prefer to not mess with motioninjoy more than I have to. Fun story: After I got my controller finally working correctly in PCSX2, I was worried that the battery might be low, so I plugged it into my computer. Instant BSOD, first one I recall seeing on my win 7 64 computer. :(

Motioninjoy is pretty famous for that, it's also the only reason my computer has ever blue screened. I did finally get the sticks working after doing something similar to that, just resaving everything but not actually changing anything. That program is so finnicky. Once I got my analog sticks working, I turned the camera around in FF12 and realized the "static" I was hearing was a waterfall behind me in that giant lighthouse. Everything seems to be in order now, assuming the controller continues to keep working (always a crapshoot).

ant1532

Banned
can anyone help me setup the emulator on a mac? i have no idea why its not working.when i try and run it, it brings up terminal and says this :(
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Cg.framework/Cg
Referenced from: /Users/antbalsamo/Desktop/\games/pcsx2.app/Contents/Resources/pcsx2/./pcsx2
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
logout

[Process completed]

edit- nvm got it

Spazznid

So I decided to start, and hopefully finish, Final Fantasy XII using PCSX2. If I complete the game, it will be my first completed FF game... The only one that comes close is FFVIII, in which I got to disc 2....

What makes this time different?

I'm trying to put my self on a schedule.

How?

Recording and editing together the entire game as I play it. I use Fraps to record my sessions, and then I edit the unnecessary parts away and make the whole thing into little episodes which I post on youtube. I kind of skipe through the combat montage-like, enough to show that I partook in battle, leveled up, or had to walk through certain areas.

I had some FMV issues and a crash or two at first, but I managed to fix almost everything.

The only remaining problem is that every now and then (sometimes during important parts) The game will slow down. The Framerate takes a dive and the sound stutters and it's complete garbage for either a few seconds or until I hit the button to stop recording.

I don't have an additional HDD, so It may be a space issue, but it happens even with over 200 gb free. It didn't happen during my first recording either, so I'm thinking it may be some setting I changed in PCSX2.

I could definitely hit the save state every time I think something is going to happen, but when I get immersed in the game I'm not thinking about that enough to do it reliably...

Anyone know anything about Fraps/PCSX2 issues? or any advice?

raven777

for the controller op said xbox360 wired controller for PC would work. Does this mean wireless will not work well?

How is 360 controller? does it have issues depending on the game?

Pooya

for the controller op said xbox360 wired controller for PC would work. Does this mean wireless will not work well?

How is 360 controller? does it have issues depending on the game?

Wireless one works as well, you just need to have the wireless receiver to make it work with PC.

For games that don't rely on pressure sensitive controls it's perfectly fine, which is 99% of games. Only MGS3/2 is problematic really.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For games that don't rely on pressure sensitive controls it's perfectly fine, which is 99% of games. Only MGS3/2 is problematic really.

Holy shit are you kidding? I always assumed it was my imagination when pressing buttons harder in something like Gran Turismo would make me go faster or pushing harder would make me jump higher or something.

That's crazy.

Pooya

360 triggers are analog, you can use them for racing games just fine in PCSX2. Other games might have pressure sensitive controls like Ace Combat game for radar/map but it's not game breaking, games like MGS2/3 are entirely built around analog buttons.

(Ace Combat games aren't playable in PCSX2 btw)

raven777

360 triggers are analog, you can use them for racing games just fine in PCSX2. Other games might have pressure sensitive controls like Ace Combat game for radar/map but it's not game breaking, games like MGS2/3 are entirely built around analog buttons.

I am only thinking of playing RPGs (FFXII, Xenosaga III, valkyrie profile silmeria)

I assume those will work fine with 360 controller

Gambit61

Still!? Guess I'll have to play AC0 on my PS2 :(

raven777

I have tried pcsx2 for the first time and tried running xenosaga III.

Unlike what many people said, I didn't have any slowdown with the menus.
But at the very first dungeon, I noticed significant slowdown when I was walking the field. It depended on the area of the field, and usually the more open areas seemed to have slowdown.

I checked fps on the top and the fraps, both said solid 60fps. EE and GS were around 40% and I tried switching to native resolutions and software modes but they were all the same. Is this something I cannot fix?

I have tried pcsx2 for the first time and tried running xenosaga III.

Unlike what many people said, I didn't have any slowdown with the menus.
But at the very first dungeon, I noticed significant slowdown when I was walking the field. It depended on the area of the field, and usually the more open areas seemed to have slowdown.

I checked fps on the top and the fraps, both said solid 60fps. EE and GS were around 40% and I tried switching to native resolutions and software modes but they were all the same. Is this something I cannot fix?

Max FPS but the game running too slow is always a speed hack issue. Specifically the VU cycle steal hack is notoriously bad about causing this.

Top Bottom