• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
- The nephews. Fucking awful. They probably modeled them for the new generations of cynical and ironic kids with no attention span but I don't have to like it. I just wanted them to stop shouting with their annoying teen voices. Sassy and constantly unimpressed pricks.

Basically kill the kids and take your time telling your stories, please.

Agree with this take almost completely, and I think the bolded parts above are generational differences that we'll just have to swallow. I have no idea why the content produced for the younger generations these days, from cartoons to MCU, is so heavy & non-stop with witty banter/snark, and with characters that are constsantly loud, hyper etc. To me, an old fogey, it immediately breaks my immersion and becomes grating very quickly.

Somehow, the original series managed to be constantly engaging even with some down-time and reflective moments, with characters that weren't constantly hyper & yelling their lines, and crammed in full adventures within a 20 minute timeframe (after commercial breaks). I hope they steer more towards the original style in this regard, but I don't expect them to. It will be fun either way, but this will be the key difference that keeps the OT Duck Tales as GOAT to me.

Co-signed on the nephew complaints. The endless sass and quips really irked me. No appreciation for the situation or adventure, just a constant flurry of selfishness and obnoxious attention whoring to stave their dreaded boredom.

There is a lot that did work well on the show, but they were the key fixture that still puts the original series ahead of this remake so far.

Rymuth

Good premier but I was surprised how much Glomgold stole the show, especially since I'm not in love with his new design - voice and joke's wise? He's goddamn awesome.

Sponge

Banned
Good premier but I was surprised how much Glomgold stole the show, especially since I'm not in love with his new design - voice and joke's wise? He's goddamn awesome.

Blew my mind to find out he's the same voice actor behind Bloo, Lord Hater, and Reaper.

mclem

Watched it, loved it.

I think the thing that struck me the most, actually, in a recent-discoverer-of-Rosa's-work sense, is the symbolism of Donald being in his blue outfit at the outset, but changing into black when getting mixed up in the adventure.

I happened to dig out an episode of the classic series afterwards, and something struck me: Were the 'general populace' all ducks this time around, without those vaguely humanoid-with-dog-noses people that tended to populate both the classic series and Barks/Rosa's strips? I don't actually recall seeing any in this as yet (although I assume we will down the line in the form of the Beagle Boys, of course)

Possible references:
  • Skypirates Spotted Above = TaleSpin?
  • Good For The Goose = Gladstone
  • Woodchuck Council
  • Friend or F.O.W.L = F.O.W.L is a secret organization, the "Foreign Organization for World Larceny"

Also 10c = #11, which intrigues me: The number eleven dime?

- The nephews. Fucking awful. They probably modeled them for the new generations of cynical and ironic kids with no attention span but I don't have to like it. I just wanted them to stop shouting with their annoying teen voices. Sassy and constantly unimpressed pricks.

Y'all just old. The nephews are fine.

Great reboot all around. Love the improvements to Webby and Mrs. Beakley.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This looks way more interesting than the original show ever was. I like how they are bringing a continuing narrative into it,

Alastor3

So I just learn that scrooge mcduck is voiced by David Tennant, it's goes to ''heh nice art'' to '' will insta watch first couple of episodes''.

I happened to dig out an episode of the classic series afterwards, and something struck me: Were the 'general populace' all ducks this time around, without those vaguely humanoid-with-dog-noses people that tended to populate both the classic series and Barks/Rosa's strips? I don't actually recall seeing any in this as yet (although I assume we will down the line in the form of the Beagle Boys, of course

There was Not-Roxanne and a random dog guy waiting for the interview and you can briefly see two birds, a dog and a pig during the downtown dragon chase.

Also 10c = #11, which intrigues me: The number eleven dime?
It's the "When is Castle McDuck" that does it for me.

Opto

Banned
Finally got around to watching the premiere. I love how much Donald loves his nephews.

To be fully honest, I didn't like the Ducktales series as much as a lot of you folks, but I really liked what they were doing here. Art is crisp, I like the palette, like it's a very well made webcomic (and that's not an insult in my eyes)

Psxphile

This schedule release seems to suggest that the show won't first premiere on the 23rd?

Saturday, September 16
DuckTales ”Daytrip of Doom!"
(7:00 – 7:30 A.M. EDT)
The nephews take Webby to Funso's Fun Zone and have a dangerous run-in with the Beagle Boys.
*Margo Martindale (”The Americans") recurs as Ma Beagle.

DuckTales ”The Great Dime Chase!"
(7:30 – 8:00 A.M. EDT)
Louie accidentally spends Scrooge's Number One Dime and turns to mad inventor Gyro Gearloose for help to get it back, while Dewey and Webby become entangled in a conspiracy.

Saturday, September 30
DuckTales ”The Beagle Birthday Massacre!"
(7:00 – 7:30 A.M. EDT)
After crashing Ma Beagle‘s birthday party, Webby and new mysterious friend Lena must fight their way through Beagle Boy turf to get back home.

not completely sure if accurate

EDIT: starting to think it just might be human error and it's supposed to be September 23rd for the double-billing

To put it mildly I was sure I was not going to like the reboot based on early promotional material but after watching the premier a few weeks ago I was surprised at how great it was and despite being more modern how well they nailed the basic tone of the Barks and Rosa adventures. I'm fully admitting to eating a plate of Crow
T Robot.

Great:

-Ace opening

-Nice, infectious sense of fun and adventure

-Donald being a main character as he was in the comics instead of an occasional guest star in the original series is a huge improvement. Love that he is still occasionally hard to understand like the classic cartoons and that Tony Anselmo is still voicing him.

-They absolutely nailed Scrooge and Donald's ambivalent relationship from both the Barks and (especially) Rosa comics with Scrooge being nostalgic and addicted to adventure and Donald being constantly weary and skeptical of Scrooge. Really looking forward to seeing them explore their backstory more from before they had a falling out, would be great if they did a few flash back episodes.

-Didn't like the art at all in the promos but after watching the premier I like it a lot more. The animation looks very nice in motion and not sure exactly what they were going for but to me it feels like a basic mix of Barks detailed art and the cleaner, more simpler style of the William Van Horn comics.

-Premier story was well rounded adventure wise. Having the nephews bond with Scrooge fighting the monsters and the gold eating Dragon was a great sequence and the Atlantis story was a simple but fun, action packed and well executed and self contained plot well suited to the premier.

-Launchpad was as funny as ever.

-Glomgold's new squat design is kind of odd but love what they have done with the character, firing on all cylinders as an intelligent, confident and funny villain, he has easily had some of the best lines.

-New Mrs. Beasley and Webby are great.

Not so great:

I don't hate the nephews but they really need to balance out their tone. They go back and forth from being likeable to way too hyper and kind of annoying. Other than their voices taking some getting used to I did like them for the most part though. I do hope Dewey isn't as much of a constant idiot as he was in the premier, really didn't like his whole "Look at
me! I'm an invincible kid wonder!" schtick.

Anyways, overall I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing more episodes. I might even buy a season pass just so I can watch it.

PaulBizkit

Great first episode(s)! The characters all maintain their personalities and really feel like themselves (specially scrooge, which is a great accomplishment since his new voice is very different from Alan Young). Launchpad is still funny as all hell

*While piloting the helicopter* : "aww well, family is really the greatest adventure of oh my god, the ground!!"

Honestly, I didn't expect anything from this show going in. Just that it'd be funny. And, it really was, but the references to the old cartoon, the comics and now the lore behind hortense retconned to being part of the adventures is what really makes me want to keep watching the show.

There is nothing to complain about. As a matter of fact, there are one or two things that this remake does better than the old show: like, making the nephews a bit more singular by giving them more personality and different looks (one has a sweater, other has no hat, etc).
Webby is pretty cool too, but she was more prominent in the first episode.

Donald: Tell me, do you have a family?
Ninja: I was born in a clan of warriors raised by the way of the blade...
Donald: ... aha...

Just amazing.

Platy

Not what I expected from Gyro ... but very interesting take on it.

I wonder if other chars he will b more ... friendly

Not what I expected from Gyro ... but very interesting take on it.

I wonder if other chars he will b more ... friendly

I'm assuming so. Gyro always has had a bit of a "Let's invent some stuff and who gives a damn about practical use!" to his method in most of the comics I've read. I can easily imagine that having a bunch of penny-pinching buzzards hovering over him questioning his every move makes him a bit snippy at them.

I thought we'd have an OT by now.

Anyway, there's this new Promo of various Disney/ABC Shows singing the theme. It's cute, but there's a quick blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo

tumblr_owhwefnUkQ1v79cwgo1_1280.jpg

It's Jim Cummings the original Darkwing Duck voice.

I thought we'd have an OT by now.

Anyway, there's this new Promo of various Disney/ABC Shows singing the theme. It's cute, but there's a quick blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo

It's Jim Cummings the original Darkwing Duck voice.
Jim Cummings is a freaking legend and there's no reason to replace him as Darkwing. He's still the voice of Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, and Pete for Disney. Plus he was Dr. Robotnik in Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM. Now he voices Lord Box Man, the main villain in OK K.O., and he utterly kills it.

Platy

Jim Cummings is a freaking legend and there's no reason to replace him as Darkwing. He's still the voice of Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, and Pete for Disney. Plus he was Dr. Robotnik in Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM. Now he voices Lord Box Man, the main villain in OK K.O., and he utterly kills it.

But considering how they have some god tier casting on this show, if ANY SHOW can recast such an iconic role is this one

e_i

Ducktales |OT| Some say woo-oo, others say woo-hoo.
Ducktales |OT|| It's woo-oo, not woo-hoo!
Ducktales |OT| It's woo-hoo, not woo-oo!

*Runs away*

Penguin

Not when I was growing up.
Ha I get where he is coming from since the original aired on The Disney Afternoon during the week, but we haven't had blocks like that in almost 20 years now....

I'm confused, title says it's out 23rd September, yet people have seen it already?

What's going on?

The first 2 eps aired in August as the thread title says

The series will begin airing regularly tomorrow

Daffy Duck

The first episode aired on August 12th, starting tomorrow they'll be airing new episodes weekly.

Ha I get where he is coming from since the original aired on The Disney Afternoon during the week, but we haven't had blocks like that in almost 20 years now....

The first 2 eps aired in August as the thread title says

The series will begin airing regularly tomorrow

US I assume?

I always fall down to damn US dates.....even though I read the second one as UK format I still thought a movie was 12th December. Damn brain.

So the August thing was a movie leading into the TV series?

Big Nikus

US I assume?

I always fall down to damn US dates.....even though I read the second one as UK format I still thought a movie was 12th December. Damn brain.

More like a two-part pilot episode. So, 42 minutes of goodness.

Platy

US I assume?

They uploaded the 2 episode premiere everywhere.

Like here, officially uploaded on Disney XD website.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0Neif7Y4E
It is region locked but you can probably find elsewhere or use random youpak

Richie

I'm drowning in work and other projects (have since the premiere) otherwise I'd love to create a meaty OT. Maybe for season 2. Tossing my hat into the ring:

Ducktales (2017) |OT| The Adventures of Dr. Woo(-oo!)

Ducktales (2017) |OT| Might solve a mystery, or reboot history!

Top Bottom