• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

I doubt they'll be permanently gone, but who knows. It's not like it would be without analogue in the core games. The event Legendaries ("mythical" Pokémon) are typically once a gen, sometimes twice. Then there's Celebi which was infamously never accessible to non-Japanese players for years/multiple generations.

Blizzard

Banned
The tiny odds of catching them combined with a tiny window has made this the most unhappy I'v ever been with the game. The only time I've successfully gotten in a raid, the Articuno (never even seen a Lugia) escaped from every single golden raspberry great curveball I threw. And I only got 7-8 balls. Meanwhile my fiance doesn't even play anymore and promptly caught it.

In addition, I'm super busy the rest of the week and probably won't be able to attend a second raid, so it really sucks that this may be the only time in the game's lifetime (or for another year or whatever they decide) I'd have a chance.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah, my problem is I don't really have the time to try raids out except at night, but of course you can't raid at night. Have only had the chance to do two Articuno raids and neither time was I able to catch it. Will have limited time to try and do more raids before Articuno is apparently gone, if I'm lucky I'll be able to squeeze in 2-3 more.

Would really help if these didn't cut off at like 8 pm or whatever time too.

Dishwalla

Banned
East Coast got kind of shorted too didn't we? Didn't even get a chance to raid that first night because they started the event after our cutoff time?

How early in the morning do raids start? May try and hit one up before work.

Blizzard

Banned
East Coast got kind of shorted too didn't we? Didn't even get a chance to raid that first night because they started the event after our cutoff time?

How early in the morning do raids start? May try and hit one up before work.
I've never seen a Lugia. The only other Articuno raid I've been to was at like 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning. One other guy showed up and we sat there kind of sadly and then left.

Joni

I don't know how you get all those pidgey candy, I always seem to run out. Once Gen 4 drops I can create an army of Honchkrow with all my Murkcrow candy!

At the moment, with all the Double Candy, each Pidgey really only costs you 2 Candy to evolve. You get 6 for catching them, 2 for evolving, 2 for transferring.

Articuno (Team Mystic) released on Saturday, July 22 and available through Monday, July 31.
Moltres (Team Valor) to be released on Monday, July 31 and available through Monday, August 7.
Zapdos (Team Instinct) to be released on Monday, August 7 and available through Monday, August 14.

https://www.nianticlabs.com/blog/gofestupdate072517/

That sucks. I'll have to go allout this weekend then. How do people find discords?

robochimp

At the moment, with all the Double Candy, each Pidgey really only costs you 2 Candy to evolve. You get 6 for catching them, 2 for evolving, 2 for transferring.

That sucks. I'll have to go allout this weekend then. How do people find discords?

Look for a Pokemon Go Facebook page for your city, county or region.

Holy hell the spawn rate is insane for this event. Almost too much. I can't just quickly check the app when I think about it else I'll have like 5 minutes of Pokémon catching it seems like.

Another few raids today and caught a Lugia (two Articuno ran giving me a catch rate of 2 for 7).

Caught an Articuno yesterday and along with the Unown I dashed across town for, I'm now fully complete on the Euro Dex (don't have any regionals from elsewhere).

Can relax until next week :)

GulAtiCa

Catch rate for Legendaries went up by 1%. Now at base 3%. While that may sound awfly low, that 1% difference greatly improves your odds of catching one when you now use a golden razz berry, great throw & curve ball.

Catch rate for Legendaries went up by 1%. Now at base 3%. While that may sound awfly low, that 1% difference greatly improves your odds of catching one when you now use a golden razz berry, great throw & curve ball.

yea thats big. 5% (tier 4) with golden razz, great throw + curve is like 90% catch with 9 balls.

2% was about 50%.

haven't done the math but this is somewhere probably between 65%-75% with the same stats. Probably less crying children at raids now.

oti

Banned
Tried my first raid today with 8 other people. Beat the ice bird handily. Got 8 special balls, used a berry each time and I still couldn't catch it.

Nah. Raids are not worth the stress, time or money for me.

Awayze

Neo Member
I'll probably have to go to the city as everyone is using the online map to get Lugia and Articuno, my town is dead and I haven't a clue on raid battles.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Glad they bumped the rate on legendaries. When I went 0-for-5 on my first 5 Articuno raids I was pretty ragey.

The challenge on these to me is more about getting the group together, it shouldn't be quite automatic, but if you're doing great throws and using golden berrys, you should get a capture by your 2nd or 3rd raid.

GulAtiCa

There was a guy who did 9 Legendary raids on Saturday/Sunday before getting his 1st Lugia.

I felt bad, esp since I caught my 1st 3 Lugia... lol

Luxorek

8Yj5Elc.png

Stolen from /r/theSilphRoad

3% CR is for Moltres, Articuno and Zapdos. Lugia is still 2%

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Game is sooo much more fun IMO for casual players with the increase in spawns and XP. Plus I know people who actually want to spend a little bit of cash now cause they feel they actually have something they are playing.

-MB-

And then use pinaps on them. And u basicaly get more then u need for an evolution.

caught an Articuno!!!!! my friend wakes me up(lives above me) telling me there's an Articuno at our local gym. I just slide on some pants and we jumped in his car and drove there(could've walked/ran but wanted to save time) we arrive and there's like ~7 people already there, they asked us if we we here for the raid we said yup and waited for another 20 min to see if anybody else would show up, we then battle it;everyone was lvl 30 or above so we took it down in about 1min 30. it was a valor gym and we contibuted the most damage so I got around 10 premier balls, caught it on my 5th!!! he caught it on his last ball!

I guess I'm safe until the next event, like some have metntioned check out facebook for local raid groups! me and my friend have friday off so we're gonna be on the hunt for the "white whale" all day!

ZeroCDR

Did my first Lugia raid today and caught it, that's a relief.. 83% but I'm mainly just looking out for the dex here on the legendaries. I'll probably just power up Mewtwo and maybe Zapdos or Raikou.

Pejo

Arcituro is currently on a raid a short walk from work. 36k CP though, no way I can solo him. Is there a way to see if other people are attacking him? I don't want to waste my break/time if it's going to be me getting wiped out by him.

robochimp

Did my first Lugia raid today and caught it, that's a relief.. 83% but I'm mainly just looking out for the dex here on the legendaries. I'll probably just power up Mewtwo and maybe Zapdos or Raikou.

Yeah I tried to solo a machamp raid my Alakazams and Espeons got it down to a sliver before all fainting. Not much time left the game gives me Lugia and it couldn't finish the Machamp off.

Arcituro is currently on a raid a short walk from work. 36k CP though, no way I can solo him. Is there a way to see if other people are attacking him? I don't want to waste my break/time if it's going to be me getting wiped out by him.

go to the location and see if anyone is there...you might get lucky and get some spoofers....one of my very first Articuno raids came across a group of like 5 people about to do the raid used my pass and there was a full group of 20! I looked around and was about maybe 5 people with their phones out beside me and the group of friends...didn't really complain on my end...

edit: yeah as Firemind said don't hope for spoofers, make a post facebook or hopefully find a local raid group on facebook.

Firemind

Only if you're at the raid and coordinate with other people standing there. Usually not a lot of people will show up the more the timer goes down since people WILLL start the raid if there are enough people.

Edit: Using your raid pass and hoping spoofers will show up is dumb. Don't do that.

Pejo

go to the location and see if anyone is there...you might get lucky and get some spoofers....one of my very first Articuno raids came across a group of like 5 people about to do the raid used my pass and there was a full group of 20! I looked around and was about maybe 5 people with their phones out beside me and the group of friends...didn't really complain on my end...

edit: yeah as Firemind said don't hope for spoofers, make a post facebook or hopefully find a local raid group on facebook.

Only if you're at the raid and coordinate with other people standing there. Usually not a lot of people will show up the more the timer goes down since people WILLL start the raid if there are enough people.

Edit: Using your raid pass and hoping spoofers will show up is dumb. Don't do that.

Decided to walk down and at least try it. Nobody there. Started a raid anyways with my best 900-1500 CP fire pokemon, and here's how far I made it:

Not a chance in hell on my work break. MAYBE if I had a full hour to just stand there and revive over and over and over, and if they don't regen HP per attempt. Bummer, so close yet so far.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
it's impossible with one person.

you get 300 seconds and then the attempt ends and it regens all its health.

Minimum is maybe 8... I suppose a group of 40 level players with maxed out counters might be able to reduce that.

you really want 9 or 10 to feel secure that you can beat the timer

Pejo

it's impossible with one person.

you get 500 seconds and then the attempt ends and it regens all its health.

Minimum is maybe 8... I suppose a group of 40 level players with maxed out counters might be able to reduce that.

you really want 9 or 10 to feel secure that you can beat the timer

Ah, thanks. This was my first raid attempt so I had no idea how it works. So when you start it, it has that 120 second countdown, then it starts a 500 second timer? So you can revive and keep trying all you want until it hits 0, then its full health? Is that the correct way to understand them? I'm not sure I'd ever be able to solo any of these raids..

GulAtiCa

Probably more like 6 min with pretty decent players and pokemon. Did an Articuno earlier and with initial 6 we probably could have beat it, but we left as someone else pulled up so they could join. We then beat it 7 with little over 1/3rd time left.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ah, thanks. This was my first raid attempt so I had no idea how it works. So when you start it, it has that 120 second countdown, then it starts a 500 second timer? So you can revive and keep trying all you want until it hits 0, then its full health? Is that the correct way to understand them? I'm not sure I'd ever be able to solo any of these raids..

sorry, it's a 300 second timer, a 5 minute timer.

But right, the 120 seconds is until the raid begins, if you back out, you can restart that timer. That does let you see if anyone is around (or spoofing in, which I think was more common right at first) --- but it basically costs a raid pass to just check that, so better to just find people milling around the gym with their phones out, pretty obvious.

Once the 120 second timer expires, you then begin the battle, and there's 300 seconds/5 minutes to defeat it. If you fail you have to start from the beginning.

Also if your Pokemon are wiped out, you can immediately go back in with a new 6. You don't want to be "out" of the battle when it ends, as it can glitch and not give you the opportunity to catch it.

Probably more like 6 min with pretty decent players and pokemon. Did an Articuno earlier and with initial 6 we probably could have beat it, but we left as someone else pulled up so they could join. We then beat it 7 with little over 1/3rd time left.

that's 6 folks with deep rosters... I think Moltres / Zapdos may be easier, but I've been in 7/8 man raids where we just can't overcome. The problem of losing your best DPS dealers makes it tough to close.

Higher level players with deeper benches of Pokemon probably could make it happen.

Out here people usually want to wait until they have 8/9

Firemind

Yeah we beat Articuno with 7 people too with like a minute left. Lugia is trickier because of his bulky stats and possible Hydro Pump to screw Tyranitar over.

the game just runs terribly on my iphone 6. constant crashes.
Yeah, iPhone 6 is on the low end. People have theirs crash all the time too. 6S is minimum to run somewhat smoothly I'd think.

Pejo

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to go into the city to see if I can actually find some other people playing to hopefully do some raiding.

gutshot

Does anyone in the thread play the game on an iPhone SE? I need to get some phones for my kids to play and I was looking at them as cheap alternatives that aren't too underpowered.

Does anyone in the thread play the game on an iPhone SE? I need to get some phones for my kids to play and I was looking at them as cheap alternatives that aren't too underpowered.
My girlfriend and I do. Works perfectly. Same hardware as the 6S with marginally improved performance due to the smaller screen/lower resolution, so it handles the game just fine. The improvement from the old 5C I was using until December is absolutely massive, lol.

Yeah, iPhone 6 is on the low end. People have theirs crash all the time too. 6S is minimum to run somewhat smoothly I'd think.
The game does have some general crash problems that got worse with the last major update though.

Joni

And then use pinaps on them. And u basicaly get more then u need for an evolution.

Can't waste them on Pidgey anymore. I use them on stuff I need for my top performers, like Magikarp and Eevee. I was lazy over the past few months so I had hundreds of pidgey candy ready luckily.

gutshot

My girlfriend and I do. Works perfectly. Same hardware as the 6S with marginally improved performance due to the smaller screen/lower resolution, so it handles the game just fine. The improvement from the old 5C I was using until December is absolutely massive, lol.

The game does have some general crash problems that got worse with the last major update though.

I second the SE, the game loads up fast and is rock solid.

Cool. Thanks for the vote of confidence! Now to just find the best deal on the SE.

gutshot

Walmart has a Straight talk version(locked to straight talk for 12 months of service) for $160

Yeah, I was looking at that one. Do you know if you can buy it without the service? I don't need cell service as they would only be playing on Wifi at home or out with me using my iPhone as a Wifi hotspot.

Top Bottom