• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The mobile game actually looks pretty good for $7. But cloud swinging... Man, how disappointing. It just seems wrong, and takes me out of the game a bit.

killbox

how bad are the bugs? :( I have the PS3 version but haven't played it yet (don't have a 360 at the moment anyways)

Its been awhile, but I remember several lighting bugs (they would flicker on and off) lot of texture alpha bugs, lot of stuff removed (trees, peds, etc) and worse frame rate in general.

The sad thing is that all the work to fix this was done, but it passed approval process before it could be resubmitted and there was no structure for patches.

Dartastic

I'm having a pretty good time with this so far, except for one bit. The story. I know it takes place AFTER the movie, but did they really have to be so blatantly obvious with the spoilers? For example...

Right after you save Doctor Connors, Gwen contacts you. Obviously she distrusts him, but she straight up says "after he killed my father." DID YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE THAT LINE? UGH.

I'm having a pretty good time with this so far, except for one bit. The story. I know it takes place AFTER the movie, but did they really have to be so blatantly obvious with the spoilers? For example...

Right after you save Doctor Connors, Gwen contacts you. Obviously she distrusts him, but she straight up says "after he killed my father." DID YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE THAT LINE? UGH.
39 years is more than enough time for something to be unspoilered.

Kurod

Banned
Anyone notice a rather large delay in game between pressing a button and its action. Seeing that the game relies on qte's and counters this has become quite bothersome to me.

Dartastic

39 years is more than enough time for something to be unspoilered.
What the crap are you talking about?
Gwen's dad was killed by Doc Ock. Not Lizard. In addition, Gwen blames Spidey for her dad's death in the comic books; it most certainly is NOT the case here... at least in the game. I mean, we could have expected this to happen, but still.

Orca

It really annoys me how there's no apparent effort to hide his identity - Gwen calls him Peter repeatedly, he changes in view of the main villain, etc...

And I swear to God if he says "stay frosty" ONE MORE FUCKING TIME...

Wow, people on the hype are slobbing all over this game. I've been reading the whole thread over there and it is making me REALLY want this game

Yet a lot of them are saying they are fine with the swinging system and they don't miss Spider-Man 2's, which gives me the impression that there is rampant fanboyism going on

Dartastic

Wow, people on the hype are slobbing all over this game. I've been reading the whole thread over there and it is making me REALLY want this game

Yet a lot of them are saying they are fine with the swinging system and they don't miss Spider-Man 2's, which gives me the impression that there is rampant fanboyism going on
If you mix up web rush and normal web slinging, it's still fun. People are totally overreacting. Whatever. I'm enjoying the game. So yeah.

madmackem

Spiderman games have fanboys?.

If you mix up web rush and normal web slinging, it's still fun. People are totally overreacting. Whatever. I'm enjoying the game. So yeah.
Interesting

I'm definitely more excited to rent it after reading some of the impressions. Even with some of the obvious flaws a lot of people are saying it's the best Spider-Man game ever

Zabka

Yeah Spider-man fanboys just like seeing the tights on-screen. Not surprising that a videogame message board is more concerned with game mechanics.

Orca

I don't think it takes "rampant fanboyism" to be able to say 'it sucks it doesn't have the momentum-based swinging with actual hardpoints on buildings, but at least it's still fun'

If people want to keep playing Spider-Man 2, that's on them. I'd rather play a new game even if the swinging isn't quite as good as that one was. That game didn't have the ability to zip into the classic Spidey poses on flagpoles and antennas, nor the obviously Arkham-inspired but still awesome Spidey combat.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Almost got every costume unlocked for the game. I think I'm just missing the
Vigilante
costume.

Speaking of costumes, has anyone noticed that some costumes don't seem to show wear and tear? The
Scarlet Spider
one doesn't seem to show damage at all, even if Spider-Man has been getting beat up.

Orca

Almost got every costume unlocked for the game. I think I'm just missing the
Vigilante
costume.

Speaking of costumes, has anyone noticed that some costumes don't seem to show wear and tear? The
Scarlet Spider
one doesn't seem to show damage at all, even if Spider-Man has been getting beat up.

I wish you could set them to show no damage at all. It's kind of ridiculous how beat up he gets in the course of a single mission sometimes.

Dartastic

I've gotta say, everyone is hating on the swinging but at the same time, there's no WAY some of these air battles could look this good with Spider-Man 2 swinging. It's just not possible. I just fought the (I don't think this is really a spoiler because it's been in demos but whatever)
hunter-robots
and it was SUPER fast paced, and SUPER aerobatic, and REALLY cool looking. Fucking awesome.

Also, do you guys have a link or whatever to how to unlock the costumes?

DrBo42

I've gotta say, everyone is hating on the swinging but at the same time, there's no WAY some of these air battles could look this good with Spider-Man 2 swinging. It's just not possible. I just fought the (I don't think this is really a spoiler because it's been in demos but whatever)
hunter-robots
and it was SUPER fast paced, and SUPER aerobatic, and REALLY cool looking. Fucking awesome.

Also, do you guys have a link or whatever to how to unlock the costumes?

My favorite part of the game. It's too bad it never really evolves from there and repeats that same enemy too many times.

hunter-robots
Good to know. I hadn't really been focusing on any benefits that could be added through the specific web swinging mechanic they implemented, but it's good to realize it enhances some aspects

I'm still kind of speechless at the fact that random crimes are apparently finite post-game

Poyunch

hunter-robots

Web of Shadows

Poyunch

But that isn't really Spidey 2 swinging either is it? I admit it looks really fun, but it's still different. Right? I should probably play Web of Shadows. :p

...regardless. I'm having a good time with this game.

True but my point was more that you can still have good sky combat while still taking to account "realistic" swinging. But whatever, no need to be a spoil sport.

EYEL1NER

My only problems with swinging are the little flips he does everytime he hits the end of a swing. I just don't like the way it looks or feels. I would rather have him continuously swing rather than release a web, do some flip in the air, and then shoot another one.

I also don't really care for the combat. I liked the Arkham games but this combat feels worse and I don't care for his move set or the finishers he does on people. I didn't really rent this for the combat though. I rented it to swing around a city, something the past couple games wouldn't let you do.

I guess I'll pop in SM3 or Web of Shadows for some swinging I guess. Or see if Ultimate is backwards compatible on 360. I don't think my PS2 copy is here with me or I would just pop it in the PS3.

dandoolan

Or see if Ultimate is backwards compatible on 360.

It is, I was playing it last week. Lot's of fun and visually holds up pretty well considering it's age. Although I suppose that cell shaded look probably does alot of the heavy lifting there. Great game.

hated the swinging at first. Then It really grew on me. I really love the camera being closer makes you feel more like spiderman. What I do is (with every spiderman game on 360) play the official Spiderman 1 and 2 scores from the movie. That and the fact that you can have the old spiderman costume (from the old trilogy) makes this game so awesome. The cloud swinging is easy to get around for me anyway. I just swing when their is a buliding around and you have to be somewhat near a building to swing anyway. When you are fighting snipers on rooftops or robot things you are not thinking about cloud swinging at all.

This to me feels just like Batman Arkham city. Yes the combat has a little less punch to it but once you string together combos and do everything you can to beat them it is fun.

Love this game. This is coming from one of the ultimate spiderman fan. And if you think I'm a fanboy I haven't liked a spiderman game since Spiderman 3.

EYEL1NER

That's good news about Ultimate working. I checked and I do have my PS2 copy with me here, but I don't know if I am going to take my PS3 to Greenland with me in a month or so, so it wouldn't hurt to pick up an OG Xbox copy.

Oh shit this game is ugly. Especially if you walk down the streets and talk to people. There's so much wrong with this game ( graphics, swinging = autopilot,, stiff animations, ugly textures, etc etc) but it's fun. I don' t know why

Danny-Boy

Yeah this game is pure fun. I'm loving everything about it. The indoor stealth, the combat, the web swinging, the story.

I have to say IMO this is the best spider-man game yet. Beenox has delivered the spider-man game I've been craving. They've almost got the arkham mechanics, just needs a bit more tweaking and polish. Well done, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Salaadin

Id say my 2 biggest complaints about the game so far are 1)the camera. Its way too close and 2)Spidermans wall cling animation. He looks so stupid.

Im having a lot of fun though. More than I expected.

Godammit! I'm so sick of the indoor sections. Thankfully, you can just swing through them and skip most of the fights. So glad I rented this.

</rant>

iNvid02

ok so i think im gonna get it from amazon for £34.85 and then trade it in after i've had enough, amazon offer £30 for new releases, so £4.85 ain't bad

I ran out during lunch and grabbed this; I'm too much of a Spidey fanboy to let it slip ><

Watching the walkthroughs reminded me of my Spiderman 1 and 2 days on PS2

Oni Jazar

How does it control? Point to swing?

You can point to web rush. The camera controls horribly with move. You need to hold down L1 and then the cursor is gone and it's really difficult to manage and center. Almost impossible for me to move and use the camera.

I was a pro at KZ3 & Resistance 3 with Move. This is horrible.

bomer

(holy crap I just got my account approved after 3 months of lurking!)

Just picked up the Gameloft Android Version. Just started on my Galaxy S3, has a few performance hicks but it looks pretty great on the screen. Pretty crazy we have a full open world 3D spidey game on a phone, but the swinging isn't quite as smooth as past titles and it feels a little like a last gen spiderman. Seem to lose your momentum quite a bit if you do a big jump on a building and swing; which is a big no no of the spidey experience to me!

Will probably grab the 360 version today or Monday, the day I goto see the fan screening I won tickets to on a Facebook contest. I really do want to wait for the PC version, but Wikipedia says it's not out till late August? :(

Top Bottom