• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

El Odio

Banned
I really don't get the almost hyperbolic hate for the english voices. Aside from the loss of "LUV TETORIS" they're hardly offensive. Kind of mixed on the removal of the rumble though since it seems like a pretty weird thing to take out but at the same time it made the controllers shake like a damn earthquake.

I really don't get the almost hyperbolic hate for the english voices. Aside from the loss of "LUV TETORIS" they're hardly offensive. Kind of mixed on the removal of the rumble though since it seems like a pretty weird thing to take out but at the same time it made the controllers shake like a damn earthquake.

They just aren't cute in the same way that the JP voices are. They sound more forced.

They sound more or less exactly how I'd expect the localization of a hyperactive Japanese game to sound. I don't see the problem either, though I understand if people are clamouring for dual audio. I get the impression that the people who despise the English voices aren't asking for different English voices, but for the Japanese they heard in the JP demo.

muteki

Some people tend to like what they hear first, and there has been plenty of time to get used to the JP version.

-shadow-

Played the demo with my mum, plays dreadful with a joy-con​, but perfect with a Pro Controller. Can't wait to pick this up in two weeks! Really doubting between physical and digital for the first time ever.

Edit: do we know if the lack of rumble is just in the demo?

tsundoku

I've had the physical version preordered since I first tried the JPN demo but i've been considering biting the bullet

As anticipated since I heard the english version was taking so long because they were probably dubbing it, the dub is awful. Just something about the voice acting market in JPN vs NA means that in Japan they have a wide variety of dopey, cutesy, dorky, annoying, whiny, etc voices for child characters, but in NA voice acting they always have the same set of adults trying to deliver the most annoying sounding set of child characters they can imagine. The only child character in an american cartoon that hasn't killed my ears is the literal child the Bravest Warriors people hired to voice Catbug.

Also just the shock of hearing my favourite annoying "e-ettou~" stoner "Sig" apparently have the deepest weird gravelly nasally tween voice

I'm now upset that i've been waiting so long to buy the JPN digital download because my online friends were all confusingly waiting for the english so they could "understand the menus".

Do we even know yet if this game is going to have cross online compatibility? So I can at least play the JPN voices download against my friends?

I'm considering keeping the physical cartridge on order anyways as much as it hurts me, as i've heard nothing but horror stories on podcasts for years about Tetris digital downloads being taken off of shops and Tetris cartridge print runs being short and not getting reprints, so If I have the download it'd be handy to have a second copy physical to share with a friend who gets a switch a year or three down the line from now.

Which again begs the question, is the system going to try and fuck me for wanting to play a japanese copy against an english copy? Feels like I can't pull the trigger on the JPN digital download if its going to be CPU only until the game's launch day / review day actually comes around. I've wanted it since launch too, play the demo basically every day :/

Did you import this before it was released for the US? If you did, this sentence is moot, if you haven't you've been hearing the japanese voices for 2 years and have made characters for yourself whn you have no idea what anything means. So like the Bear, in japan has a deep stern voice, US not so much, just another voice. The Fish guy had some zing to him, here, he's just yelling.

IDK how local multiplayer works for differing regions for Switch games (not to mention the JP version has a completely different name and store page), but online netplay is confirmed to be cross-region

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
One of the menu buttons right before a match allows you to change many aspects of the aesthetic, one of which being the look of the puyos. Might be worth a look to see if you can find one that's more colourblind friendly.

The "metallic" skin in the demo is one of the more colorblind friendly options, in the full game there's also one that turns the puyos into letters corresponding to their color.

The traditional Tetris solo modes are in the full game, there's also endless Puyo. The adventure mode is broken up into chapters where you get cutscenes broken up by some kind of challenge (beat the CPU in some vs mode, finish a solo challenge in x amount of time, etc)

Yeah, metallic is the best of the bunch in the demo. The one with letters for the colors sounds best.

And yeah I watched the video in the news section and saw those modes in the challenges menu, so that's good to know.

I'm leaning toward getting it just for Tetris if nothing else. I don't know that Puyo Puyo will grab me even if I find a color palette that works for me as I've always sucked at puzzle games that require setting up combos and chains.

Not getting the hate for the voices.

Anyway, Puyo Puyo is nice and all but I can't see myself playing that a great deal. I'm in this for the Tetris.

El Odio

Banned
They just aren't cute in the same way that the JP voices are. They sound more forced.

They sound more or less exactly how I'd expect the localization of a hyperactive Japanese game to sound. I don't see the problem either, though I understand if people are clamouring for dual audio. I get the impression that the people who despise the English voices aren't asking for different English voices, but for the Japanese they heard in the JP demo.

Some people tend to like what they hear first, and there has been plenty of time to get used to the JP version.
I mean I get that some of their voices aren't an exact replica of their Japanese versions in tone or delivery but the level of awful people are painting them as makes it sound like you'd be expecting the lines to have been read by someone on the janitorial team or something. They're inoffensive at worst for me personally but yeah it just sounds like some people just want the Japanese voices because thats what they've grown too used to.

Did you import this before it was released for the US? If you did, this sentence is moot, if you haven't you've been hearing the japanese voices for 2 years and have made characters for yourself whn you have no idea what anything means. So like the Bear, in japan has a deep stern voice, US not so much, just another voice. The Fish guy had some zing to him, here, he's just yelling.
I've put more hours into the Japanese demo than I'd care to admit for the past month or so and aside from the lose of Risu's deep voice I'm not really missing anything. I normally play the robot character and while his delivery's a little more boring now I really don't mind. It's not why I'm playing the game.

The only thing that bugs me is that some characters' voices are so much quieter than others you can't hear them. For example: if Jay and Elle are in a match, you can't hear anyone else because they're so LOUD.

I've played the Japanese 3DS version for some time now. I played the Switch demo and it's nice having this on a bigger and better screen.

If the 3DS version is anything to go by the online multiplayer is very good and a huge time sink.

Vibed

I'm gonna say it: the english VA is good. Great, even. It's a little less hammy than the JP voices, but that's still really hammy.

Quality of the voice acting is a matter of opinion obviously, but I feel like this should be treated like a fighting game as they're one liners or exclamations. I'd be equally as ticked off if they released SFV or KOF with english dubs only.

The AI on versus seems tough. Is there a difficulty option?
I saw a handicap option I think, but not sure if that was only for MP.
I've been messing around with the handicap setting and haven't seen much of a difference between normal and Spicy. I'd assumed Spicy was the hardest, but the computers still behave the same. There was possibly a speed / garbage difference but I couldn't really tell. Seemed to impact the Puyo player but not any of the Tetris ones. I have the full game on my 3DS but haven't put enough time into it to remember how to adjust difficulty.

Should I cancel my preorder? The english dub is bothering me a lot, and paying $10 extra for the keychains and a physical cart might not be worth it. Might be best to just grab this digitally on the JP eshop...

Spades

Amazed at how many people are turning a blind eye to the 40% price hike on the Switch version compared to the PS4 version that comes out the same day.

SummitAve

Banned
Played the demo with my mum, plays dreadful with a joy-con​, but perfect with a Pro Controller. Can't wait to pick this up in two weeks! Really doubting between physical and digital for the first time ever.

Edit: do we know if the lack of rumble is just in the demo?

Digital! This seems like a game you will want available on the switch at all times.

Berordn

Amazed at how many people are turning a blind eye to the 40% price hike on the Switch version compared to the PS4 version that comes out the same day.

Digital is still cheaper. The Switch version is being touted as a special edition and includes keychains.

It's been discussed to death.

Kinsei

Banned

The digital version costs the same on both platforms. The price difference for physical is due to the goodies that come with the Switch version that aren't included in the PS4 version.

Spades

The digital version costs the same on both platforms. The price difference for physical is due to the goodies that come with the Switch version that aren't included in the PS4 version.

Incorrect.

Puyo Puyo Tetris will be available in the Americas (April 25) and Europe (April 28) for the PlayStation®4 and Nintendo Switch™. The PlayStation 4 version will be available only in a physical format for €29.99 / £24.99 and the Nintendo Switch version will be available digitally and physically for €39.99 / £34.99.

newsguy

I know this is going to sound ignorant, but when people say "this is the best iteration of Tetris since x" what do they mean? My first Tetris was on the original Gameboy in black and white. It's the same game. It's still fitting the same pieces in the same slots. Is it the music, the speed at which you can drop them, the backgrounds?

MrPanic

So they really think it's ok to charge 40€ for it here in the EU? Well, I guess I'll be skipping this game then. Too bad, I was kinda looking forward to it, but that price tag is straight up unacceptable.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The only strange voices in the dub are Sig and Klug, and even then I could make an argument for both of their portrayals being true to the characters.

Unless the few characters that haven't been heard in the demo/gameplay footage are terrible, both languages are roughly the same quality-wise.

The only strange voices in the dub are Sig and Klug, and even then I could make an argument for both of their portrayals being true to the characters.

Unless the few characters that haven't been heard in the demo/gameplay footage are terrible, both languages are roughly the same quality-wise.
Klug sounds too much like a mad-scientist though. Still curious to hear the alternate voices in the game

Stopdoor

I know this is going to sound ignorant, but when people say "this is the best iteration of Tetris since x" what do they mean? My first Tetris was on the original Gameboy in black and white. It's the same game. It's still fitting the same pieces in the same slots. Is it the music, the speed at which you can drop them, the backgrounds?

I think it really goes by most interesting gimmick and variety of modes - Tetris DS is revered because of the Nintendo theme and unique game modes, and this one is obviously because of the interesting mash-up and again, unique game modes.

Some of the other recent Tetris games like Tetris Axis, Tetris Ultimate, etc. don't have an interesting theme and mostly the same old played out modes (and the latter one even had performance issues, somehow?). Always passable because of the core gameplay but it's easy to see why some are recommended over others.

Kalnos

Banned
Can you turn off the voices? I don't think I can stand the JP or English voices lmao

Hmm... looks like it's on some modes with obnoxious one-liners every time you clear a few lines?

Lucifon

I've been messing around with the handicap setting and haven't seen much of a difference between normal and Spicy. I'd assumed Spicy was the hardest, but the computers still behave the same. There was possibly a speed / garbage difference but I couldn't really tell. Seemed to impact the Puyo player but not any of the Tetris ones. I have the full game on my 3DS but haven't put enough time into it to remember how to adjust difficulty.

Hmm I don't know if I'm just terrible but the AI on versus are beating me pretty easily. I tried lowering the handicap on the AI and it didn't make any real noticable difference.

Does anyone know how the handicap works?

newsguy

I think it really goes by most interesting gimmick and variety of modes - Tetris DS is revered because of the Nintendo theme and unique game modes, and this one is obviously because of the interesting mash-up and again, unique game modes.

Some of the other recent Tetris games like Tetris Axis, Tetris Ultimate, etc. don't have an interesting theme and mostly the same old played out modes (and the latter one even had performance issues, somehow?). Always passable because of the core gameplay but it's easy to see why some are recommended over others.

I see. I must suck at Tetris lol. I've been playing against the CPU in this, and while I may get Tetris like twice, all I hear is my opponent wrecking shit. I play that Tetris robot thing and it's constantly shouting "Nutrition!!" and sending blocks to my side. People are saying this is easy and I'm getting my ass handed to me lol.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I see. I must suck at Tetris lol. I've been playing against the CPU in this, and while I may get Tetris like twice, all I hear is my opponent wrecking shit. I play that Tetris robot thing and it's constantly shouting "Nutrition!!" and sending blocks to my side. People are saying this is easy and I'm getting my ass handed to me lol.

I struggled last night when I was tired, but one all 5 or so games I played this morning before leaving for work. Of Tetris anyway. I'm terrible at Puyo Puyo (on top of the mild color blind issue) and only won once out of how ever many I've played so far.

Don't you adjust the difficulty on your character? I made the mistake of thinking that changing the difficulty for my opponent means changing the difficulty OF my opponent. I was wondering why it seemed even easier for me.

Berordn

Don't you adjust the difficulty on your character? I made the mistake of thinking that changing the difficulty for my opponent means changing the difficulty OF my opponent. I was wondering why it seemed even easier for me.

CPU difficulty is based on the opponent. The setting you change on the characters is your handicap.

Top Bottom