• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM (213) March 2007 reviews/rumors

Ynos Yrros said:
Actually in Developer magazine SCE Liverpool already said that they are going to build Wipeout PS3 on F1 engine. They also said that there are going to be substantial improvements over what they did with F1, thanks to the gained experience.
So you are saying EGM's rumor section was wrong? I think they know a little more than you do, I mean they own a magazine.

Dante

jett said:
...and I hope Wipeout PS3 doesn't use the Motorstorm engine...I mean no offense to the Evolution guys, but I had even higher expectations for next-gen Wipeout.

Well, an engine is just that, an engine. It's all dependant on the team. Hence FCK and GOW being on the same engine.

That being said, I think either would be a competant engine in the right hands.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jett said:
qft. Rez is the only worthwhile thing that overrated douche has made.

you don't even like his pre-drugs racing games? touring car? manx tt with the balls-destroying arcade cab? ****in sega rally?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Mr. Spinnington said:
Mistwalker planning Blue Dragon 2, depedent on U.S. sales. A DS spin-off is also possible.

That is an ingenious idea! Just imagine the prodigious stature of the IP once it has graced the DS!

DS + Sticker-that-says-Sakaguchi/Toriyama/Uematsu = 500K, at least, sold.

EDIT:
(this is not likely to happen, the 500K sales, but I'm sticking it in there to add to the effect)

Xbox 360 + Sticker-that-says-Sakaguchi/Toriyama/Uematsu = 130K sold.

DS Blue Dragon released in conjunction (within mere months) with Blue Dragon 2?

Hmm....

mollipen

Talamatross said:
I blame you NGAF for making me hyped for Valhalla Knights and Monster Kingdom. :(

Uhm, my 8.5 for Valhalla Knights might be a little bit high, but in no way does it deserve what EGM gave it.

Lain

shidoshi said:
Uhm, my 8.5 for Valhalla Knights might be a little bit high, but in no way does it deserve what EGM gave it.

It's weird, such a difference in opinions (EGM thinks it's crap, you think it's good). I just hope it will be better than that awful ToE (it was awful for me, such a waste of my money) since i already have it preordered (along with Monster Kingdom and Gurumin).

BamYouHaveAids said:
So you are saying EGM's rumor section was wrong? I think they know a little more than you do, I mean they own a magazine.
No, it was said in Developer magazine by the developer themselves. I believe it was an interview with director. I'll provide links soon ;) .

Magazine

[QUOTE="Development Director, Clemens Wangerin]With one PS3 title already in the can [F1 Championship Edition] the challengefor us now is to stay ahead of the curve[/QUOTE]

Liverpool have their own engine, Evolution uses their own engine. F1 has amazing sense of speed, it runs at 30fps though.

SCE Studios Liverpool = Formula One Engine... NOT motorstorm Engine...

List of games created by SCE Studio Liverpool:

PlayStation 2
Formula One 04
Formula One 05
Formula One 06
Formula One 2001
Formula One 2002
Formula One 2003
WipEout Fusion

PlayStation 3
Formula One Championship Edition
WipEout PS3 [Untitled]

PlayStation Portable
Formula One 06
WipEout Pure
WipEout Pure 2 [unofficial title]

I Hardly think they will use Motorstorm Engine...

Defuser

BamYouHaveAids said:
So what part of the meaning rumor you don't understand? :lol
For crying out loud...

Ace 8095 said:
NBA Street Homecourt (PS3/360): 9.0, 9.5, 9.0

After spending some time with the demo I am shocked. This is like the third highest rated 360 game behind Gears and Oblivion. I can't believe it scored so high. Maybe their was something I was missing, but the demo just felt like more 7.5 material from EA

Dude, you can make Mehmet Okur breakdance. That's GOTY material.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Ynos Yrros said:
Actually in Developer magazine SCE Liverpool already said that they are going to build Wipeout PS3 on F1 engine. They also said that there are going to be substantial improvements over what they did with F1, thanks to the gained experience.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Spinnington said:
Tekken 6 pushed back until 2008.

noooooo.jpg

What are they doing with that game? I am expecting an ehnhanced Tekken Tag to tide me over during the Late Summer and fall if this is true.

Jonnyram

Deku said:
Concerning the FF MMO rumour, a successor to XI is obvious but I don't think it will be VII or XII. XII's graphics engine and battle system was basically a derivative of XI so doing an MMO of XII would be relatively lazy and unproductive. S-E would want to make a big splash and make a clean break. I would guess they would go further back than VII.
I personally think they'd got for a completely new world, so that it's not restricted by anything they've done before. However, it would be pretty nice to explore some untouched areas of the world in VII or XII.

It has to a universe with the appropriate job sytems to support an MMO which XII qualifies given its roots from the Tactics franchise, but there's alot going against it, including its lack of popularity in Japan and FFXI is by far still one of the most popular MMO there.
Jobs and races in XII are closest to what an MMO would need, but I still don't think there's enough variety in XII. Can't see them ever letting you play as moogles, so it would be left down to 4 races, which I don't think is enough for an MMO. I'd welcome an online FFT in the meantime though :)

Edit: Also I believe another FFXI expansion was announced already in late 2006 so the next MMO may be a ways off yet.
No, I don't think so. However, even if they're working on one, they would just put a small team on that and the main team would be working on the next MMO at this point. There is no conceivable way they are not working on a new MMO right now. They know FFXI's population is dwindling and they've been talking about the new one for a couple of years at least.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
F1 has amazing sense of speed, it runs at 30fps though.

just to reiterate : AMAZING sense of speed.

The first time in a F1 game that i've felt like i'm in a stupidly fast car.

I can live with 30fps if it looks and feels that good.

Raistlin

Kleegamefan said:
I just don't buy the "WipEout PS3 running on Motorstorm engine" deal, but thats just me...

I'm not saying I believe it ... but if true, it's probably a timing thing.

The Motorstorm engine is complete, so the Wipeout team will have plenty of time to tweak it for their uses ... whereas, the F1 engine isn't done.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jonnyram said:
No, I don't think so. However, even if they're working on one, they would just put a small team on that and the main team would be working on the next MMO at this point. There is no conceivable way they are not working on a new MMO right now. They know FFXI's population is dwindling and they've been talking about the new one for a couple of years at least.

They have confirmed they're working on a new expansion. Tanaka talked about it in an interview during the release of the French version of FFXI (or some version, can't recall).

I think a MMO in Spira would work. Just me though. I liked that world, plus between X and X-2, they have all the FF jobs pretty much covered. =)

ethelred

speculawyer said:
Unless you have a really long commute by train/plane/bus, why the **** would you want to play it on the DS instead of the xbox 360?

Because portable RPGs are fun? Don't be an ass.

EA making a kiddie Madden ("for touchdown tykes").

I thought that was just the one they made for Wii and DS? My mistake.

Joking aside, I thought Atari was the only one who could do this? They were the only ones that got exemption from EA's NFL license-exclusivity due to them already having a contract with the NFL, right?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
speculawyer said:
Unless you have a really long commute by train/plane/bus, why the **** would you want to play it on the DS instead of the xbox 360?
One day you'll beat an RPG while taking a big dump.
Then you will understand.

Mr. Spinnington said:
I'd set my sights on the 360, it being the most installed console for a game like SC5. Still, your guess would be as good as mine.
All about the wiimote! Motion for the four directions as well as prominent A and B work well. And forget making a Z in the Zorro game, I want to make the big 5 at the end of each level.

Joe Molotov

speculawyer said:

Why does it have to be instead? Can't we want it on both? It says spinoff, so it could be a Final Fantasy XIII type thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ethelred said:
Because portable RPGs are fun? Don't be an ass.
after the pokemon craze kind of passed for me back in 7th grade I stopped playing portables until...

Fire Emblem for GBA ~30 hours of hot portable RPG action well SRPG to be exact but still its the game that once again made me a handheld fan.

portables RPGs=awesome

TreIII

ethelred said:
Also, Blue Dragon DS does seem pretty likely given that Famitsu hinted similarly and Sakaguchi confirmed more DS stuff in the works as well as his desire to make BD a real franchise. Blue Dragon 2 isn't really a "rumor," per se, as Sakaguchi has already been quite clear he wants to make it, and MGS hasn't really demonstrated a reluctance at funding him yet. Though of course US sales are going to be a factor in continuing that. Like I said, common sense more than rumor.

He can go ahead and make a BD DS and anything else he wants for the DS...but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Deliver on ASH first, dammit! :lol

Seriously...if they were planning to get that game out by that really magnificent time of Golden Week in like a manner of weeks, I really hope that things that Sakaguchi said (game being "almost done!", and due out "first half of 2007") are indeed true. I really want to (import and) play that game...:D

Kittonwy

Banned
Onix said:
I'm not saying I believe it ... but if true, it's probably a timing thing.

The Motorstorm engine is complete, so the Wipeout team will have plenty of time to tweak it for their uses ... whereas, the F1 engine isn't done.

Considering the fact that both Motorstorm and F1 were released around the same time in Japan, and the PAL versions will also be released around the same time, we're not talking about a huge gap between the completion of the two engines, I find it kind of strange anyone would put up a rumor that Liverpool would use Evolution's engine though, since Liverpool would very likely be more familiar with their own engine and tools.

aeolist

Banned
Square has another MMO Final Fantasy (à la FFXI) in the work for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Won't be set in Vana'diel, but rather a world from a previous FF. "Our fanboy hopes say FFVII, but our practical mind says FFXII."
**** that, Ivalice is a much better world overall than FFVII had.

speculawyer said:

Not every one likes to spend hours glued to a TV. With an RPG on a portable, you can play it anywhere.

Plus, not everyone has a huge gigantic plasma HDTV

Didn't that dude from the 1UP show say that Wipeout would be using the motorstorm engine?
Seems plausible, the F1 game looks very nice but F1 tracks being what they are, the track scenery is minimal. Wipeout games have always had a lot going on around the track, which motorstorm seems to have.
As long as they keep wipeout a proper track racing game and not go off road or semi off road like they did with fusion then all is well. I also hope the iron out those slight slow downs which can occur with motorstorm. i.e if they use the motorstorm engine.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner (PSP): 6.5, 7.5, 7.0
Valhalla Knights (PSP): 3.5, 4.5, 5.0
Valhalla Knights is expected. For all the talk, the game didn't look that good, to me. I kept hearing talk that the game was good that it did X and Y right, but something about the look of the game from the trailers (edit: by look I'm talking about battle system (from enemy placement to HUD), color choices, etc.) just didn't appeal to me. Of course, this could be another Parish situation where they hired reviewers that dislike that type of game...but with three reviewers giving similar scores I question that.

For those that had the first PSP Monster Hunter (US) game, how active was the online community?

Busty

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
Square has another MMO Final Fantasy (à la FFXI) in the work for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Won't be set in Vana'diel, but rather a world from a previous FF. "Our fanboy hopes say FFVII, but our practical mind says FFXII."

Seeing as SE have already announced an MMO for PS3 and PC I assume that this is their direct replacement for FF XI. A subscription based MMO really only makes sense as a multiplatform release in a case like this.

But it makes me wonder what their other MMO is (assuming they aren't the same of course), and whether it would go down the subscription route or not.

Mr. Spinnington said:
Tekken 6 pushed back until 2008.

CELLIUS are hard at work on it as we 'speak'. I don't think anyone expected to see Tekken 6 in 2007. I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 6 is what spurred the creation on CELLIUS in the first place.

Mr. Spinnington said:
Wipeout PS3 to hit in 2007, uses the MotorStorm engine.

I'd go as far as to say that Wipeout for the PS3 being released in 2007 is a dead cert. You hear me? Dead cert.

Mr. Spinnington said:
EA making a kiddie Madden ("for touchdown tykes").

Meh. Saw this coming a mile off. EA will release for the PS2 and Wii. Will probably concentrate on the teams mascots as well.

Top Bottom