• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

My ORZLY screen protector was dispatched about a week ago and still isn't here. Anyone else in the same boat? I feel like they've marked it as dispatched but not actually posted it out. The estimate is 14-17th
I'm in the same boat. They emailed me saying it'll arrive around the 16th. I'm using a regular screen protector until it arrives since that's still 2 weeks away.

Lucifon

I'm in the same boat. They emailed me saying it'll arrive around the 16th. I'm using a regular screen protector until it arrives since that's still 2 weeks away.

Amazon UK? I had an email from them saying the order will be cancelled if it isn't shipped within a few days as it'd been so long since ordering (despite it not being out yet). Then the next day I had "order dispatched".

This was 20th Feb. Pretty sure it doesn't take over 3 weeks to send a screen protector. My guess is the seller has marked it as dispatched to prevent the order being auto cancelled.

Alpha_eX

Put the screen on , got a tiny bit of dust under it during the application which bothers me but not half as much as a scratch would.

Really thankful for the heads up in this thread, wouldn't have bothered otherwise. Will pick up the glass hori protector in Japan next month.

I like the creativity going on in here too, padded and felt insides are a nice idea. Can't wait to see the first modded open-front dock :)

PBORdeGl.jpg

Just bought these from target.

I like the creativity going on in here too, padded and felt insides are a nice idea. Can't wait to see the first modded open-front dock :)

If I had one I would've put a saw through it the moment I read this thread it, did the same with my PS4 to fit my bigger HDD, I'm not worried about looks if I can make it work better.

Electrical tape seems like the easiest and most durable option. It's rubbery so it really shouldn't cause any abrasion or scratches.

I also don't think this happens with every dock, but there are some that due to manufacturing variances have too little space between the front and rear sides of the dock. Mine doesn't touch the front area at all when docking, but I added some electrical tape just Incase.

Electrical tape seems like the easiest and most durable option. It's rubbery so it really shouldn't cause any abrasion or scratches.

I also don't think this happens with every dock, but there are some that due to manufacturing variances have too little space between the front and rear sides of the dock. Mine doesn't touch the front area at all when docking, but I added some electrical tape just Incase.

Do you have a picture by any chance? Probably going to do this as well. Don't want to buy a screen protector.

By carefully cleaning my screen before putting it in the dock, and then carefully aligning before docking, I've had no problems so far. In my experience, scratches occur when dust or small debris on the screen gets moved around/pressed against. As people have said in this thread, not sure if making the gap tighter is helping.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I tried putting a thin microfiber cloth between the dock and the screen, but there was clear resistance when putting in/taking out the system, so I decided against it. I honestly could see the added pressure ending up doing more damage.

I've been careful when inserting/removing and the only marks I ever get are at the very bottom on bezel where the rubberized portion of the dock touches. These wipe away with microfiber cloth very easily.

Basically, seems like an non issue if you are careful.

Biske

By carefully cleaning my screen before putting it in the dock, and then carefully aligning before docking, I've had no problems so far. In my experience, scratches occur when dust or small debris on the screen gets moved around/pressed against. As people have said in this thread, not sure if making the gap tighter is helping.

Most of us I assume are only doing it until we get screen protectors.

I think it is a lot of luck of the draw though with just how tight you particular switch dock is or not.

maxcriden

I tried putting a thin microfiber cloth between the dock and the screen, but there was clear resistance when putting in/taking out the system, so I decided against it. I honestly could see the added pressure ending up doing more damage.

I've been careful when inserting/removing and the only marks I ever get are at the very bottom on bezel where the rubberized portion of the dock touches. These wipe away with microfiber cloth very easily.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of the added pressure.
http://i.imgur.com/cM7UThO.jpg
Would this method be a concern for adding pressure? I have a sheet of it draped inside the dock and it's slightly tight.

tassletine

I'm calling bullshit on this.

If you look at the screen in the picture the reflection of the ceiling is dimpled, which suggests there is a screen protector on it. The Switch screen doesn't have that finish.

Most of us I assume are only doing it until we get screen protectors.

I think it is a lot of luck of the draw though with just how tight you particular switch dock is or not.

True. I don't like screen protectors so I'm just gonna be careful moving forward. Also there were a few times I thought I had scratches, but after cleaning thoroughly with a cloth and compressed air, and shining a light directly on the screen, the "scratch" was gone, leaving me to believe it was just a smudge or something.

Won't they eventually cause small scratches? Even the soft side of velcro.

Usually no, if it's soft enough but the only strips I could find at Target are a bit stiffer than I'd like. I'm still going to give it a try and maybe look to find something softer later.

No shade to all y'all but I think I came up with the best solution.

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

Just cut into shape and apply. They're self adhesive.

Honestly feels like it's built into the system. The Switch glides beautifully into place. Honestly thinking about putting it on the back ridges too.

Obviously this situation should never have happened, but I'm super pleased with the result.

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

Honestly feels like it's built into the system. The Switch glides beautifully into place. Honestly thinking about putting it on the back ridges too.

Obviously this situation should never have happened, but I'm super pleased with the result.

Godlike. Where you get that from? I'm using pads but this covers the entire thing.

Schnozberry

My ORZLY screen protector was dispatched about a week ago and still isn't here. Anyone else in the same boat? I feel like they've marked it as dispatched but not actually posted it out. The estimate is 14-17th

Probably factory direct shipped from China. It's on a boat.

jts

...hate me...
The "proprietary tech" is apparently DisplayPort. Someone will probably figure out how to make a 3rd party dock soon.
I think there are already DisplayPort over USB-C adapter things. Those would work in that case, but I believe Nintendo has put in place some authentication chip or something of the sort, akin to Apple with Lightning.

Which I hope gets cracked asap.

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

thanks I just bought the Dr. Scholls version of this on Amazon, Also have a screen protector coming....Yay?

I shouldn't have to do this Nintendo.

This sucks. My official case won't be here til Wednesday and my tempered glass protector won't be here for weeks (thanks royal mail!)

I felt ballsy and docked the switch and undocked it earlier today. Was fine, but I was extremely careful. Sitting in the dock for now. Think I'm just gonna leave it there. For 3 weeks.

Darcotik

Banned
The dock is so sharp I lost my finger while trying to avoid scratches on screen. Fortunately I noticed that JoyCons suddenly become playable without a thumb.

wowzors

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

Did you just do the screen side or both sides?

Rodin

thanks I just bought the Dr. Scholls version of this on Amazon, Also have a screen protector coming....Yay?

I shouldn't have to do this Nintendo.

Doing the same thing but i agree with the last sentence. Jesus Christ.

The Orzly tempered glass is good, right? The Amfilm one is out of stock here.

In my stupidity and paranoia I tried using some of the material that came with the Switch to make padding for the dock. Problem is, it was such a tight fit that I ended up barely scratching my screen trying to dock the console. I would have been fine if I had waited to get a screen protector. Oh well, at least I can't see the scratch on screen while playing, the scratch is right off to the very left side of it. Be careful with your DIY ideas people, of just don't be a dumbass like me.

EVO

90 dollars.

I don't understand posts like these. I mean, yeah the thing is horribly overpriced, but it comes included with the system, right? More importantly, if the screen is scratched this easily the real issue here is not the quality of the dock but the screen. If anything, people should be pointing out the price of the Switch itself.

Edzi

In my stupidity and paranoia I tried using some of the material that came with the Switch to make padding for the dock. Problem is, it was such a tight fit that I ended up barely scratching my screen trying to dock the console. I would have been fine if I had waited to get a screen protector. Oh well, at least I can't see the scratch on screen while playing, the scratch is right off to the very left side of it. Be careful with your DIY ideas people, of just don't be a dumbass like me.

I'd imagine the screen protectors would have the same problem. Anything that makes the fit tighter is likely to cause scratches at some point.

maxcriden

Trying these questions again to see if anyone can shed some light. Thank you!

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of the added pressure.
http://i.imgur.com/cM7UThO.jpg
Would this method be a concern for adding pressure? I have a sheet of it draped inside the dock and it's slightly tight.

I draped a microfiber cloth over the edge and into the stand for now. Might look at a more elegant solution later.

any reason not to do this? heat etc.?

--

The recommended one is the Nintendo Switch Screen Protector Glass, amFilm Nintendo Switch Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch 2017 (2-Pack) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20), right?

Any just as recommended? This one isn't slated to arrive till 3/9 at the earliest with expedited shipping. Or if not, anything I should put on in the meantime? :/

Thanks all!

SURGEdude

Now that many people have reported this as an issue, let's take a moment to throw our heads back in laughter at all of the damage control crew on the first few pages.

It's gonna make for a nice starter fanchild blocklist. And here I was under the impression that Nintendo apologists were the least full of shit of the console warriors.

The first half of this thread has convinced me they are almost Xbox One reveal or PS3 launch price levels of batshit insane.

Animal

Banned
I have not had any scratches by the dock on my neon unit and I also put a screen protector.

I am debating putting hockey tape on the dock vertical guides.

Biske

Some of you folks responses, about it being a tight fit with the bag or cloth or anything. Really seems the sizes vary a lot, my ghetto back I could jam more stuff in still and be fine. 🤔

Top Bottom