• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

Bought borderlands 2, horizon and halo 4 all within about a month of each other, apart from wanting sonic ASR transformed I did plan to cut back greatly in game buying until next summer, so count me in for console games as I will never stop buying app's, that shit is a highly addictive drug.

RpgN

How are we supposed to update progress in this thread?

As in should it be weekly/monthly by mentioning which games you bought and wether you're playing them straight?

Ledsen

How are we supposed to update progress in this thread?

As in should it be weekly/monthly by mentioning which games you bought and wether you're playing them straight?

If I make rules, I'm sure most people won't follow them anyway... I'll be posting regularly and also posting any games I may buy (hopefully just GTAV and a couple more). Of course people who give up should tell me so I can cross them out ;)

QaaQer

You can add me. I think this thread might help & I like the escape clause. I've got 400 steam games 90% of which I've never played. I've also got a couple dozen console discs just waiting.

I've found that setting steam to start to my librarry page & turning off the 'show offers and news' setting helps. Outta site outta mind. I also avoid going to the gamestop part of my local malls.

"Hello, my name is Untalkative_Bunny, and I'm a game-hoardaholic."

Kerrinck

Can I start at a later date? I definitely want in since I have been spending way too much but first I need to get persona 4 golden on November 20th. After that I think I can stop for a year though fire emblem will be tempting.

Why not buy Persona 4 OR 3, and start playing the one you buy right away? Or are you thinking of the Atlus sale right now? If so, sure, buy them, but after that, the point really is not to buy games you don't play immediately even if they're on sale :)

Added!

I guess my hope was to store up acorns for the approaching winter. My backlog isn't as big as 300 games or whatever, so I actually might run out of stuff. But it the log bothers me to no end so I'd like to try.

What if, when you cave and buy a new game you promise yourself you will play to death, those games are listed next to your name?

Sign me up I suppose! Just look the other way until Turkey day.

Glass Rebel

I gave you shit in the Steam thread but I actually think it's a good idea. Since you're not making any general rules I'll think of a few for myself and probably join you. Good luck nonetheless :)

You can do it Ledsen :)

Fortunately, I won't have to do this as I am like that third category of gamer that is neither hardcore or casual, just "tunnel visioned". As for me, I'm probably in the minority here as I do not have any backlog and I only buy about 7 games a year. Each purchase is carefully decided and I play these games to *completion in consecutive order of ownership.

*Either beating the game as intended - ie. I just beat FFXIII-2, platinum trophy, at 91 hours over the span of 2 months

*Or, figuring that each hour spent with the game is equal to $1 to justify time/fun - ie. Played Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for about 80 hours, which could be imagined that the time spent and fun had outweigh the cost

Grief.exe

When I purchase a new game, I do because I plan to feed it to my console and play it immediately. I never understood buying a game and keeping it sealed to play sometimes down the line, I only buy games I'm eager to play.
Except that time when the local game rush went out of business and was getting rid of everything for ridiculous prices (new games for 3€ older ones for 1€ it was like Christmas!) and I bought like 20 that I never played, and probably never will.

This is mostly for PC gamers.

There are so many sales for awesome games that are less than $5, you end up with this massive backlog.

For example, I got hitman blood money and just cause 2 from amazon for $1.30 each a couple weeks ago. I don't have the time to play them right now, but those games are amazing and I want to experience them in the future.
Problem is these type of sales are so common that you end up with a massive backlog.

This thread is mostly to alleviate that. Forcing people to basically only buy new games that they have to get. Letting those sales on games that they don't really need just pass by.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
*Either beating the game as intended - ie. I just beat FFXIII-2, platinum trophy, at 91 hours over the span of 2 months

*Or, figuring that each hour spent with the game is equal to $1 to justify time/fun - ie. Played Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for about 80 hours, which could be imagined that the time spent and fun had outweigh the cost

This is an interesting way to judge completion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why start this right now? It'd be better to start it December 31st/Midnight the 1st and run it a whole year than doing it a year + a month or two.

RpgN

If I make rules, I'm sure most people won't follow them anyway... I'll be posting regularly and also posting any games I may buy (hopefully just GTAV and a couple more). Of course people who give up should tell me so I can cross them out ;)

Yeah makes sense, okay I'll try to update whenever possible.

Last week I bought a bunch of games that was more out of character for the me that has been trying to hold back:

Bangai-O Spirits on the DS.
Gunbrid 2, Cannon Spike, Ikaruga, Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future and Rival Schools 2 Project Justice on the dreamcast. They all came this week except for Ecco.

The week (or 2) before it was Headhunter, E.G.G., Bangai-O and Blue Stinger on the dreamcast too. I've tested all the games but currently playing Headhunter for real.

These games barely made it before you started with the thread. I was planning on getting Crazy Taxi DC, Dead or Alive 2 PS2 and a bunch of Xbox live games next week but now plans have change. Xbox live games won't happen ANYTIME SOON, I won't get this DoA until I'm somewhat done with DoA4 and Dimensions (currently playing them). Even then it might be later just because. As for Crazy Taxi, I'm going to hold off for a bit. I probably could play it just fine, especially since it's the kind of game with no real progress but it might be better to finish a couple of dreamcast games before getting a new one. Maybe after finishing Headhunter and Sonic Adventure 1 at least!

dsister44

Sign me up!

I only bought a couple games this year. And have way too many games in my backlog. All the games I get for my birthday/christmas gifts should cover me for the year.

7796_700.jpg

There is no better first post that I have seen. Still laughing my ass off. :(

Ledsen

I guess my hope was to store up acorns for the approaching winter. My backlog isn't as big as 300 games or whatever, so I actually might run out of stuff. But it the log bothers me to no end so I'd like to try.

What if, when you cave and buy a new game you promise yourself you will play to death, those games are listed next to your name?

Sign me up I suppose! Just look the other way until Turkey day.

Just read the exception clause more carefully and I think I can do it.
Count me in!

I've spent almost $5000 this year on games. I have played almost none of them.

Count me in, I need this.

Sign me up!

I only bought a couple games this year. And have way too many games in my backlog. All the games I get for my birthday/christmas gifts should cover me for the year.

Added :)

I gave you shit in the Steam thread but I actually think it's a good idea. Since you're not making any general rules I'll think of a few for myself and probably join you. Good luck nonetheless :)

Thanks :) Yeah we'll see how it goes, I'm pretty confident I can do it without too much trouble.

Why start this right now? It'd be better to start it December 31st/Midnight the 1st and run it a whole year than doing it a year + a month or two.

Protection from the Steam sale.

Does this start today? Bc next week I am buying a Wii u and three games.
And paper Mario tomorrow...

Well yeah, but I guess you could cheat and come back and join after that... though maybe I should add "start date" to participants in the OP to expose such tactics :)

Ledsen

Yeah makes sense, okay I'll try to update whenever possible.

Last week I bought a bunch of games that was more out of character for the me that has been trying to hold back:

Bangai-O Spirits on the DS.
Gunbrid 2, Cannon Spike, Ikaruga, Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future and Rival Schools 2 Project Justice on the dreamcast. They all came this week except for Ecco.

The week (or 2) before it was Headhunter, E.G.G., Bangai-O and Blue Stinger on the dreamcast too. I've tested all the games but currently playing Headhunter for real.

These games barely made it before you started with the thread. I was planning on getting Crazy Taxi DC, Dead or Alive 2 PS2 and a bunch of Xbox live games next week but now plans have change. Xbox live games won't happen ANYTIME SOON, I won't get this DoA until I'm somewhat done with DoA4 and Dimensions (currently playing them). Even then it might be later just because. As for Crazy Taxi, I'm going to hold off for a bit. I probably could play it just fine, especially since it's the kind of game with no real progress but it might be better to finish a couple of dreamcast games before getting a new one. Maybe after finishing Headhunter and Sonic Adventure 1 at least!

That's cool. Older games are especially difficult, at least for me, because they're super cheap and then when you have them it's easy to just put them away and play newer, more modern games instead. This is why I have a pretty big (mostly unplayed) library of GOG games.

Katzii

Is it also an escape clause if someone else buys a game for you?

I mean, I endeavour to carry out what the OP is saying already, but people might buy me games without me knowing and I might not play them immediately.

When you say "play immediately", do you mean to completion?

RpgN

Does this start today? Bc next week I am buying a Wii u and three games.
And paper Mario tomorrow...

Oh yeah, I was thinking of getting Paper Mario too along with WipEout HD and Fury DLC for the Vita because it's on sale now. Paper Mario is not happening anymore until the 3DS backlog is somewhat cleared. The WipEout DLC is still possible though not sure if it's necessary. I have them on the ps3 (different account) and thought it would be nice to have them on portable too. I'm going to have to think about WipEout, I could definitely play it straight.

Ledsen

Is it also an escape clause if someone else buys a game for you?

I mean, I endeavour to carry out what the OP is saying already, but people might buy me games without me knowing and I might not play them immediately.

When you say "play immediately", do you mean to completion?

Common sense tells me that if someone gives you a game, it's pretty rude to say "thanks, but not thanks" :) So those don't count. And yes, preferably to completion (or until you feel like you're "done" with the game in case of bad games), but ultimately it's on you to do what you think upholds your end of the bargain. I have no idea how to treat games without an actual end, but it would seem counterproductive to buy and play hundreds and hundreds of hours of some MMORPG or online game. Like I said, do what feels right to you :) Do you want me to add you to the list?

RpgN

That's cool. Older games are especially difficult, at least for me, because they're super cheap and then when you have them it's easy to just put them away and play newer, more modern games instead. This is why I have a pretty big (mostly unplayed) library of GOG games.

It has been the other way around for me :p I tend to enjoy and play older games more, it's easier to get into them while it's more difficult to get into newer games. I still try to buy new games where I know they might have limited stock, then they just wait for a while when older games have more priority.

That doesn't count for new games that feel old school in design if you know what I mean, the ones that are fun and interesting. I got games like The Last Story and Final Fantasy XIII-2 day 1, played them straight to completion. They were great.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, shoulda skipped 2012 if anything. You would have missed... not much.

Either way, it's a noble goal. But not one I will be able to achieve.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That isn't the point of the escape clause though, I won't be doing that. Either I finish them or I put them away for good.

The escape clause to me still takes away the aim and challenge that seems to be actually sorting out your backlog.

Considering the amount of games coming out in the next year I could easily spend the time playing a new game, finishing it, buying another new one, finishing that, and never actually having to deal with my existing backlog so in a year nothing has really changed, lol.

But hey, go for it, you guys should make a backlog list to check up on in a years time if you don't all fail by then. :p

Ledsen

Lol, shoulda skipped 2012 if anything. You would have missed... not much.

Either way, it's a noble goal. But not one I will be able to achieve.

Most games I buy aren't current anyway, it's mostly 50%+ sales on Steam or console games that go down to ~1/4 of MSRP.

The escape clause to me still takes away the aim and challenge that seems to be actually sorting out your backlog.

Considering the amount of games coming out in the next year I could easily spend the time playing a new game, finishing it, buying another new one, finishing that, and never actually having to deal with my existing backlog so in a year nothing has really changed, lol.

But hey, go for it, you guys should make a backlog list to check up on in a years time if you don't all fail by then. :p

I could do that too, but without the challenge I would also simultaneously be buying tons of games I didn't play.

hemo memo

Gold Member

You'll have the time to go to your backlog between releases.. I think.

Did this for the first 6 months of this year. Made indie bundles exceptions for the rule, and then thought it was ok to buy Pixeljunk Eden for Steam since I didn´t buy it to beat it.

Result: My backlog* now only consists for DLC for Fallout: New Vegas, Deux Ex: Missing Link and The Last Express.

* Only count games I have a real interest in beating, not every single purchased indie game, and not games I only bought for multiplayer/skirmish.

szaromir

Banned
I don't see the point of this challenge. I really don't feel bad about buying games that cost me €1-€15. I don't pay to own them and feel obliged to play all of them to completion, but to have access to them whenever I feel like playing them...

Glass Rebel

Alright I'm definitely in.

I will not buy a single game from the start of the Steam Winter Sale 2012 to the start of the Steam Winter Sale 2013.

Exceptions:

1. Games I'll play immediately and finish in a reasonable time frame (rule of thumb: 1 month) or give up on for good
2. Games I get gifted by friends or fellow GAFfers
3. Games I gift to friends
4. Bundles, as long as I follow rule 1 for at least 50% of the newly acquired games (in case I already own some of the games or gift games to someone else)

Here is my Steam profile, I'll try to post regularly and explain every new addition to my library :p

RpgN

Almost forgot that I did play Gunbird 2 and completed it out of those dreamcast games. Sure it was on child mode (sue me) but it was still great. I don't play many shmups but this sure was very charming and fun. Shmup games usually have more value in them with mastering them on higher difficulty and trying to do a one live run. I'm definitely planning on coming back to it once the dreamcast backlog gets better. With Ikaruga, I made it to stage 3 (out of 5) on normal. So I played that for a fair bit too. I managed to survive until stage 6 (out of 10) with Cannon Spike difficulty normal. I feel good that I've played some of those dreamcast games straight and extensively.

These kind of games are great for your backlog. They're so short, can be played however you want and they're timeless. You'll always come back to them when you have the time to spare.

Fox Mulder

I actually did it most of this year. I got skyrim and saints row last holiday, and didn't buy another game most of the year besides xbla minecraft, walking dead, and trials. I recently got Forza Horizon and WWE 13, but finished the mode I cared about in the wrestling game, sold it for $40.

----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------READ THIS-------------------------------
The * is my escape clause: I can buy new games... if I play them to completion/until I don't want to play anymore ever immediately upon purchase. Fortunately for this challenge, that almost never happens.

namnlsxno3t.png

My Steam/360/DS/PS2 backlog is enormous (a couple of hundred games at least), and I get irrationally stressed over it even though I try to sell as much as possible, constantly tell myself I shouldn't care, it's not a backlog it's a library, just play if you feel like it, no pressure, just a hobby, yada yada. Keeping a Backloggery or similar list just makes things worse. Well, let's do this shit for real. No new games until Steam Christmas sale 2013. Join me if you want, feel free to set your own time limit.

There is only one sensible answer to this:

Katzii

Common sense tells me that if someone gives you a game, it's pretty rude to say "thanks, but not thanks" :) So those don't count. And yes, preferably to completion (or until you feel like you're "done" with the game in case of bad games), but ultimately it's on you to do what you think upholds your end of the bargain. I have no idea how to treat games without an actual end, but it would seem counterproductive to buy and play hundreds and hundreds of hours of some MMORPG or online game. Like I said, do what feels right to you :) Do you want me to add you to the list?

I don't do MMORPGs and I don't partake in Steam sales ;-) So I think I'm safe here!

I am very much considering this; the only problem is that I can't say that I will be able to start until December 1st (although I am willing to go an extra month longer in 2013/14 to make up for that). Reason being that I've already pre-ordered and paid three games coming out this month (one being for the Wii U out at the end of the month). I will be playing all three of them as soon as I get them, but I can't guarantee that I would have each completed before the next one arrives. I will, however, be putting time to all three when I have them.

So long answer short, if it's acceptable that I start on December 1st, then yes, I will certainly participate in the challenge!

Ledsen

Added Glass Rebel and Gryphter!

I don't do MMORPGs and I don't partake in Steam sales ;-) So I think I'm safe here!

I am very much considering this; the only problem is that I can't say that I will be able to start until December 1st (although I am willing to go an extra month longer in 2013/14 to make up for that). Reason being that I've already pre-ordered and paid three games coming out this month (one being for the Wii U out at the end of the month). I will be playing all three of them as soon as I get them, but I can't guarantee that I would have each completed before the next one arrives. I will, however, be putting time to all three when I have them.

So long answer short, if it's acceptable that I start on December 1st, then yes, I will certainly participate in the challenge!

Great :)

If I preorder and pay off everything I want for next year now, can I still participate and win?

Sure!

you win nothing

Izick

Fuck...there's many balls at play here.

First off, my back log is fairly big. Nothing huge, but still bigger than I'd like. Here it is:

-Witcher 2 (started it, loved it, and I'm like a chapter in; something bad happened to me this year, so I put gaming on hold for several months, and unfortunately Witcher 2 was the main causality of that. So I'll have to start over.)

-Monkey Island 2: SE (I really want to go back, start over and play through this.)

-Valkyria Chronicles (I don't have a huge want to play this game out, but I definitely don't think it'll be boring or bad.)

-Fallout New Vegas

-Skyrim (another casualty of when that thing happened to me earlier this year)

-Demon's Souls

-Saints Row 2 (never started)

-Anomaly: Warzone Earth

Now, at the same time, I've started playing (3)DS games and I'm debating purchasing one, same with the Wii U. So it's going to be hard to just completely stop....hmm...I don't know.

Top Bottom