• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Projectors. Are they worth the hassle? Post your recommendations!

Paradicia

I’ve been weighing up my options on projectors since deciding to buy a PS4 Pro come next month. I originally wanted to build a PC but that has been put on hold until I can afford my dream build.

I’ve been eyeing up the Optoma GT1080 Darbee (An upgrade on the previous model) for the time being:

optomagt1080darbee-8.jpg

Having never used a projector before, does the portability/size outweigh the pros of a 4K TV? I live between two locations so I never really “considered” a TV as such mainly due to it not being portable. I’ve also looked at gaming laptops but I’d rather wait to build a PC.

As far as gaming solutions go, Is a 1080p Projector and a PS4 Pro a decent combination?

I love gaming on my 1080p projector. 110" is just amazing to play on and even if there can be drawbacks, the sheer size makes it an experience unlike others. Highly recommended!

mhayze

I used to game a lot more on my projector. It can be very immersive. Projectors work best in darkened rooms though, and it turned into a once in a while thing, now rarely for me, but that shouldn't stop you. You do need to pick a projector with low lag that's gaming friendly, but I would pick a projector with good movie performance too (i.e. a home theater projector), otherwise it doesn't seem worth it. A screen with a masked border is almost a must. I used a white wall for a year, and kicked myself once I saw what the screen did (it's not just quality, the masked border is much more immersive, IMHO, besides aiding with ambient light rejection).

Most gaming friendly projectors are DLP projectors.

Good projectors aren't really 'portable' - they have a certain throw range for a given screen size (usually ~1.2x of screen width is an average - see projectorcentral to use their calculator), and need to be at a certain height relative to the screen, Cheaper DLPs in particular tend to have restricted lens shift - i.e. the ability to move the image vertically without distortion. Without that, you need to mount the projector at the height that works for the room - typically ceiling or rear shelf mounted. Don't discount the lighting, screen postition, screen and mounting - they are pretty critical to a good projector experience.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a business projector - get a Home Theater / Gaming projector.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
After using the projector you mentioned OP
At least mine looks the same.
And companies buy them all the time.

I dont care for tv gaming. Let alone 4k
150 inch gaming is just better.

Fyi this projectors gaming mode beats all tv's

1ms destiny plays stupid fast.
All friends that tried it at my place are amazed.

Only downside is that you cant really play in direct sunlight.(duh)

And get a silverscreen ofc.
And a ceiling mount

I have recently brought the Optoma GT1080 which has now replaced my TV. I was torn between the projector or a 65inch TV. The projector wins hands down, and I find it usable in the day with curtains closed although obviously much better in the dark.

The only negative on my model is a lack of zoom functions, meaning you have to be able to place the projector in pretty much the perfect place to match the screen size you want. Currently for me this means I'm just using a coffe table to project onto the wall until I can figure out ceiling mounting etc.

Agree with others that a screen is a must. I brought a 100" tripod screen, which has too many waves so moved to a fixed screen which will be better once hung on the wall.

Lastly these optomas have minimal input lag which is also a massive bonus!

elfinke

Have had a BenQ w1080st for years now, it's used in our living room for everything - we don't have a TV in there - kids TV, Netflix, free to air TV, PS4 and occasionally the PC.

And it's bloody brilliant. As great as the 4k OLEDs are, I just can't get with dropping from 110" to... Well I could only barely afford a 55" and that's poxy. We beam directly onto the wall, easily the best and easiest result out of all we tried. Screens are a pain the arse.

Needless to say, our next AV purchase will be another projector, unless something magical happens that makes 85" OLEDs real damn cheap (and even then, 85" is a significant drop).

Aintitcool

Banned
If you want to enjoy good HDR you wont be able to afford that in a projector OLED is even better than projectors as they have the same quality in contrast.

twisted89

My dream PC costs over 3 grand. Water cooling parts hike up the fee a lot.

3 grand?! God damn, are you buying that pre-built or something? Follow some YouTube tutorials and build that yourself, cost half the price.

Also, I'd never recommend a projector especially for gaming, they're not cheap for a decent one you still need to have a dark room for the best results which is a pain in itself. You need the curtains constantly drawn and after 2000 hours on good settings you have to shell out for another overpriced bulb. Not worth the hassle at all if you ask me. Get a nice 4k screen, it'll be less hassle in the long run.

3 grand?! God damn, are you buying that pre-built or something? Follow some YouTube tutorials and build that yourself, cost half the price.

Also, I'd never recommend a projector especially for gaming, they're not cheap for a decent one you still need to have a dark room for the best results which is a pain in itself. You need the curtains constantly drawn and after 2000 hours on good settings you have to shell out for another overpriced bulb. Not worth the hassle at all if you ask me. Get a nice 4k screen, it'll be less hassle in the long run.

And also much much smaller, thus the one advantage of a projector and the whole reason this is even a debate. My 65" tv is right next to my projector, and the quality on the tv is better, but having almost four times the size option is pretty cool.

They're nice in addition to a good tv and some blackout window coverings are easy enough in the right room.

I buy a new bulb about once a year for $300, thats pretty manageable if you're already the type dropping 3-5k on a projector.

SegaShack

I have a BenQ 1050HT 1080p Projector. I use a 115” Silverticket Gray tinted projector screen. It looks
amazing for both games and movies. Calibrating took a long time but once I set it up how i liked it it is amazing

It looks so good I’m not even considering going 4k until 4K HDR Projectors are under a grand (will take years from
now).

I had an Optoma UDH65 installed wit a 110 inch 3D Grey screen a week before I got my 1X on the 7th. In calibrated game mode I have not noticed any lag, but I am old so take that with a grain of salt. That being said the Image is stunning, both in game, and even more so with movies.

Top Bottom