• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have microtransactions just been removed from SW Battlefront 2? No, I’m serious...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I ain't fucking buying this shit EA cuz i see what you're trying to do and it ain't gonna work on me. The intention of this game was clear as day to us right from the goddamn beta and you can't change it now or ever.

“Available at a later date”

LaJ9Kmo.gif

I don't mind if they reintroduce micro-transactions into the game as long as they don't bring back P2W elements, make them side-grades which are only available to those who buy them but not more powerful then base game content. So preferably they should just be cosmetic upgrades but logic and cynicism tells me they'll just reintroduce the system with some minor changes like everything easier to unlock and/or increasing credit payouts post match.

ultrazilla

A New Hope

Missed first post by one just like the first shot at the Death Star....lol

Indeed, good job REDDIT and gamers for sticking to our guns(and WALLETS!).

NEVER, EVER SUPPORT PAY TO WIN.

And FYI, Boogie2988 aka "Francis" had an amazing video on how to fix the game that was very well done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1be16By9fYs&t=5s

For now, I will be keeping my copy but was working on getting it refunded through Amazon.

EA, I know you're reading these comments. Stop this. Just stop it. You want gamers on your side, not against you. Good job regarding removing the microtransactions....NOW LEARN FROM IT

Nope dont anyone celebrate them listening to the outcry of the biggest thing everyone was complaining about. Hating and being bitter is much more fun

Or maybe they're just being smart consumers realizing this is a PR stunt to get people to buy the game only to bring the plan back later? Source: their own words

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I... what? What the fuck? Is this real life?
... if it comes out looking as if they don't plan to add any shitty business practices to the game, I think I might actually buy this.

edit: >"The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we've made changes to the game." nvm then I might not

ultrazilla

Or maybe they're just being smart consumers realizing this is a PR stunt to get people to buy the game only to bring the plan back later? Source: their own words

If they bring back the "loot boxes" as cosmetic items(shaders, badges, insignia, etc) without the pay to win aspects(improved aim assist....sickening btw) then it's fine.

They should look at Overwatch on how to do them right.

But this is EA

In the words of Obi Wan Kenobi:

" You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

synce

Ah, now this is how it's supposed to be done. Launch with a grindy system THEN introduce microtrasactions after the preorders have gone through and the reviews are out.

Crew 511A

Ah, now this is how it's supposed to be done. Launch with a grindy system THEN introduce microtrasactions after the preorders have gone through and the reviews are out.

I guess that's the lesson EA has learned. Don't make it obvious you plan to screw people until after the holiday sales.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Like I said on Reddit, “ My son wanted this game and EA is the reason he will find out that Santa isn’t real this year!”.

Of course I’m just joking. However, I couldn’t believe what they were trying to do with this game. It was an absolutely evil attempt to hit children and adults with addictive personalities, to purchase these loot boxes by purposely making the game a grind.

I am thankful that I do not have that type of personality, but there are plenty of folks out there that aren’t as lucky as myself and many folks out there. I am happy that gamers on Reddit stuck together, got the media and governments involved.

Maybe this will be the final straw, as there are plenty of developers out there that do not use these types of ploys, having psychologists, lawyers, and other people to devise a way to make people spend their hard earned money on video games. Don’t get me wrong gamers are to blame too, but these types of practices are there to prey on the weak.

A battle was won today, but the war will be long. These companies can and do make a lot of money if the game is GOOD. The whole, “game developement has gotten more expensive” is such a ridiculous statement. When you have a bronze, silver, gold edition, season passes, loot boxes, pay2win models on a full priced game, then it is time that we as gamers stop playing those games.

Have a good evening, everyone.

Harlock

This can be Disney afraid of your brand. You are seeing a lot of "Star Wars" and "gambling" in the same article.

It's gonna come back though. Hopefully as cosmetics like people are saying, especially since it seems like customizing appearances isn't in yet

Thanks for that link, it proves that Micro transactions will come back at a later date, so still no purchase from me (unless it turns out to be cosmetic only).

I just checked, you can still buy Crystals in the Xbox Store. Maybe they will take them down soon?

When I pre-orderd BF2 during E3 this year Amazon Canada had the game on for $50 CAD instead of the regular $80, so I haven't cancelled my pre-order. DICE really improved BF1 as time went on (although that game was def not finished at release) so hopefully they can get the microstransaction stuff figured out this time around.

Worst case scenario I if I don't like where it goes I can maybe break even or come close if I decided to sell it. :)

Just the logic step after all the shitstorm. They make people buy the game because there are no microtransactions at launch, but they will reintroduce them in the future.

Hideous, greedy and shadowy company.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just for fun... How the hell did they get away with this in NBA 2K18? Isn`t it just as bad? Is it that the Star Wars community are stronger togheter?

prag16

Banned
“Available at a later date”

Yeah...they're adding it right back. Don't be fooled by this BS.
They're greedy but they're not stupid. I'll wait and see what they do. They need to lay out some kind of road map in the coming days. Way too nebulous right now.

Fbh

I guess that's good but Im not buying until they explain the plans after microtransactions are back.

Because right now it just sounds like a tactic to get people to calm down and boost sales through the movie release and Holiday season.....and then in January microtransactions are back and they are like "but we have boosted the rate at which credits are earned in game.....by 6%!!!!"

dude they said in the very same announcement that they were going to bring it back later (after all of us alrteady bought the game)

come on. don't fall for this shit.

Mooreberg

Has anything about this game justified the headaches surrounding it? I look at the review scores, see the length of the campaign, I'm just... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

squared

If this gets people to buy the game, then they've succeeded - they obviously need to sell more copies during launch week, so they do this. But there's no way in hell it's to be "nice" or to "listen to our players", it's all backpedaling to get more sales. "Crystals will be added at a later date", yeah, no shit.

Fuck 'em, don't buy it.

Ragnaroz

EA, I know you're reading these comments. Stop this. Just stop it. You want gamers on your side, not against you. Good job regarding removing the microtransactions....NOW LEARN FROM IT
They didn't remove them, they just disabled them for a bit because of the outrage. This is just a ploy to get a few more gullible people to buy the game/stop refunding preorders. Microtransactions will be back, they said so themselves.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They didn't remove them, they just disabled them for a bit because of the outrage. This is just a ploy to get a few more gullible people to buy the game/stop refunding preorders. Microtransactions will be back, they said so themselves.

200w.gif

Uhuh

Mooreberg

Disney wants a temporary halt to the bad PR it has been generating. It'll be back in no time. I'm kinda surprised it even went away after reading about how well Shadow of War has sold...

This can be Disney afraid of your brand. You are seeing a lot of "Star Wars" and "gambling" in the same article.

We already know from industry people how these companies weather these storms. It is almost certainly the case that someone high up at Disney told them to get their shit sorted. On their own, EA would trust to the lack of self-control of Star Wars fans.

Shifty

Well, safe to say my opinion of EA hasn't changed.

Because remember kids, you can't spend PR like you can money.

Cpt Lmao

So what I've seen in Twitter is that Disney 'had a word' with EA.

Come on Nintendo, as one of the few competent publishers in the industry steal the Star Wars licence off EA and give it to Retro. Let them do with it what Rare did with Goldeneye.

HISTORY REPEATS BAYBEEEEE.

blackanother

Neo Member
Wait until they come back in before you purchase. I have a feeling if their numbers are good enough, they'll go back in the same way they were. Best case scenario, we'll get exclusively cosmetic loot boxes you can buy, with the progress loot boxes as rewards for playing.

Taker666

So what I've seen in Twitter is that Disney 'had a word' with EA.

Come on Nintendo, as one of the few competent publishers in the industry steal the Star Wars licence off EA and give it to Retro. Let them do with it what Rare did with Goldeneye.

HISTORY REPEATS BAYBEEEEE.
No way would Nintendo pay the crazy price for the licence.

In an ideal world, Disney would licence Star Wars out one genre at a time/era at a time/on a game by game basis...but the EA deal netted them a much bigger payday.

I'd love to see rpg's, platformers, fighters, 2d games, VR lightsaber duels, racers, space battle focused games etc etc....but under EA it's clearly not going to happen.
The more companies who can take a shot at making a great Star Wars game, the better. It forces them to compete.

The action itself is certainly a noteworthy event that will impact future games in some way.

But really, in terms of a tangible difference today nothing has really changed. It's the same excessive and convoluted progression system. Its grind is mandatory for everyone, which I suppose is fairer on principle, but the system itself is still set up to keep players playing many hours longer than they would have if it weren't in place.

Since it's also built around random reward stat boosts Battlefront II is now just a game where it doesn't matter how good you are from your time spent playing single player or the previous game, someone who has been playing the game for longer than you now has an advantage.

AugustNeon

Neo Member
I must say that I don't really understand what the big deal is to begin with.

Playing games are about just that; playing. Why does it matter so much if you win or lose? Isn't the real point of playing just to have fun while you are doing so? So the main question should obviously be if you think the actual game is fun to play or not?

This is also a team based competitive game so if one or two players on your team have some kind of advantage, odds are that there are similarly advantaged players on the opposing team. Which makes the match fair.

And even without the microtransactions there will always be people who play the game 10 times more than most other people do (who don't have that kind of free time). And those people who have the time will instead be the people with the unfair advantage.

The truth, whether people want to accept it or not, is that time is money. And some people have more of one or the other than others do. Why should we be biased?

Fbh

I must say that I don't really understand what the big deal is to begin with.

Playing games are about just that; playing. Why does it matter so much if you win or lose? Isn't the real point of playing just to have fun while you are doing so? So the main question should obviously be if you think the actual game is fun to play or not?

This is also a team based competitive game so if one or two players on your team have some kind of advantage, odds are that there are similarly advantaged players on the opposing team. Which makes the match fair.

And even without the microtransactions there will always be people who play the game 10 times more than most other people do (who don't have that kind of free time). And those people who have the time will instead be the people with the unfair advantage.

The truth, whether people want to accept it or not, is that time is money. And some people have more of one or the other than others do. Why should we be biased?

Because competitive activities are more fun when the playing field feels even.
Because people prefer being defeated by someone who has been playing for longer or is more skilled and not someone who just spent more money.

Because the progression system has been designed to be grindy and time consuming just for the sake of pushing microtransactions. The game has literally been made more tedious to play in order to make spending money look more attractive.

And most importantly, because the game is $60 or more (depending on where you live and what version you get). It's not some charity I have to be thankful to. And when I (and lots of other people) spend $60 on a game we expect more than microtransaction fueled progression you would get in a free 2 play game.

AugustNeon

Neo Member
Because competitive activities are more fun when the playing field feels even.
Because people prefer being defeated by someone who has been playing for longer or is more skilled and not someone who just spent more money.

Since time is money, this makes no sense to me.

Because the progression system has been designed to be grindy and time consuming just for the sake of pushing microtransactions. The game has literally been made more tedious to play in order to make spending money look more attractive.

I could name countless games that have a "grindy" progression system without microtransactions and that hardly makes them better games.

And most importantly, because the game is $60 or more (depending on where you live and what version you get). It's not some charity I have to be thankful to. And when I (and lots of other people) spend $60 on a game we expect more than microtransaction fueled progression you would get in a free 2 play game.

Perhaps you and many other people have unrealistic expectations? You don't get this much potential entertainment and value for $60 in other areas of life. A few drinks in a bar cost the same amount for example, a nice dinner does too.

The amount of high quality content at launch and the amount of money and work behind it is really quite staggering. And the fact the all the DLC will be free is even more so. So why should the option for people with less time in their lives to skip ahead in their game be such a huge detriment to these facts?

Rick1o1

Did people read the statement from EA?

I was super happy after hearing this but they state that they will come back at a later date. So now I don't know what to think. Prior to this you at least knew what you were getting in to.

Top Bottom