• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Android O reveal event (August 21 at 2:40pm et)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
https://www.android.com/eclipse/

On August 21st, a solar eclipse will sweep across the entire United States for the first time since 1918. Android is helping you experience this historic natural phenomenon so you can learn more about the eclipse and count down to the big day—when you’ll meet the next release of Android and all of it’s super (sweet) new powers, revealed via livestream from New York City at 2:40PM ET.

8bit

Knows the Score
Android Opal Fruits, please. (Been running as beta for weeks, hopefully I can turn off the notification that pops any time the local weather changes. It's annoying as fuck.)

Kthulhu

Doesn't work on my beeper either.

SMS is practically mandatory in the US to be someone's primary messaging app. Until that changes Allo will never be popular here, and I can't see it dethroning Whatsapp, Line, or WeChat. Not to mention that it doesn't have end to end encryption by default.

Android "Oh, do you like it when you can still update your device from last year with security patches even after your manufacturer has abandoned updating it for this year's model?"

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Things I'm looking forward to - changing lockscreen corner shortcuts,

and I don't know what else.

Kthulhu

They will in about 6-9 months.

The main reason if I was still using Android I’d never get anything other than a Pixel.

Android O is actually supposed to introduce something to make it easier for OEM's to get their updates out faster, even if the skin is heavy. So hopefully the update cycle will get better.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Android O is actually supposed to introduce something to make it easier for OEM's to get their updates out faster, even if the skin is heavy. So hopefully the update cycle will get better.

I feel that is what they been saying about every update. That and improved battery life/management.

They will in about 6-9 months.

The main reason if I was still using Android I’d never get anything other than a Pixel.
But Samsung has already built in stuff that stock has not and that goes on for a couple of versions. Same with Android O. They have floating windows and notification badges already.

WhatNXt

Went to a local Google I/O event earlier in the year, quite excited about some of these new features!

Android O will be the last update my One Plus 3 is intended to get I believe. Will have to upgrade to 5 or a newer model once it feels long in the tooth.

pronk420

Today is the release of the OS rather than just the keynote about the features right? Did they cover everything at I/O or will there be new stuff today?

Kthulhu

Today is the release of the OS rather than just the keynote about the features right? Did they cover everything at I/O or will there be new stuff today?

It's believed the Pixel will get it today. There's supposed to be a keynote I believe.

vypek

Hoping the Nexus 6P will get this sooner rather than later...

I'm hoping it comes sooner rather than later and magically fixes my phone issues.

Seriously though, I think the 6P gets updates relatively quick so I'd be surprised if O took a while

M3d10n

I'm sure the improvements to updates have been gradual over the years, but this seems substantial: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...-will-modularize-android-make-updates-faster/

They've done a great job with battery life so far. Doze is a godsend.

That's more or less what Microsoft did with Windows 10 mobile. The OS and the firmware are separated and can be updated independently. But Google couldn't move to that model too quickly because vendors are too used to modifying the Android kernel and must be waned out of it first.

]I feel that is what they been saying about every update[/B]. That and improved battery life/management.

It's been true for a while but many OEMs simply don't care until a major security issue comes around and they have to care. It's, relatively, very easy for OEMs to update the software, but most don't because they just don't care to and most customers don't even know.

I don't even get it either... like I don't know anybody who wants the HTC, Motorola, or Samsung skin/OS, i don't think that anybody would actually choose that if given the choice.

WhatNXt

It's been true for a while but many OEMs simply don't care until a major security issue comes around and they have to care. It's, relatively, very easy for OEMs to update the software, but most don't because they just don't care to and most customers don't even know.

I don't even get it either... like I don't know anybody who wants the HTC, Motorola, or Samsung skin/OS, i don't think that anybody would actually choose that if given the choice.

HTC Sense used to be very nice. At some point though, there was a lag in Google updating the Android core and HTC being quick enough to update Sense to take advantage. I'm on Oxygen at the moment (OnePlus) - and again, that's ok. Every now and then someone comes up with something that doesn't hit the stock android releases until later. Vertical scrolling screenshots for example.

When a ROM is just packed with branded bloat though - hell no!

Top Bottom