• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding (which is likely wrong, disclaimer!) was that the EHB thing specifically turns it into something that would require 60 votes in the Senate, meaning it's DOA. Someone please tell me I'm right so I can calm down a little.
The bill is being rewritten overnight, so the content isn't known. To get it through in an instant the Republicans essentially have to go nuclear and pretend the Democrats aren't there to wave it across the table.

1) Receive bill rewritten overnight
2) Suspend rules
3) ???
?) Passed to the full house via a technicality of some sort

This sort of procedural bullshit is usually only done on the state level for mild shenanigans and not gigantic legislation.

What? What rules are they suspending? How many votes would they need with said rules suspended? Why are they rewriting to court votes if they're just going to pull some rules chicanery? I've heard nothing else about this I'm very confused.

What? What rules are they suspending? How many votes would they need with said rules suspended? Why are they rewriting to court votes if they're just going to pull some rules chicanery? I've heard nothing else about this I'm very confused.
From my understanding (which could be entirely wrong), they need to do this to bypass the normal process of discussion, interviews, reading of the bill, whatever, etc... Calling it "martial law" comes from the GOP pretty much winging it after a simple majority vote which lets them quash dissent and objections. It's the House equivalent of "going nuclear" in the Senate to avoid 60 votes. There are a lot of rules that aren't actually in the system and some functionality of Congress is built on the idea that one party would never entirely dick over the other. It renders the Democrats there somewhat "obsolete" for a short time, you could say. Not that the bill wouldn't pass committee on a party line vote, but the GOP are in a hurry, so there's no time to go through the normal process. They have to hijack it.

This happens more on the state level. "We have a state emergency! We need to temporarily suspend the rules to deal with it! Let's run until 2am tonight and start at 6am, and no beverages such as coffee in the chamber. Also, here's an anti-abortion law we'd like to enter into the record and take a voice vote on while half the Democrats are out for a smoke." (This is an exaggerated scenario, but it's the general idea)

pigeon

Banned

All major House bills pass by suspending the normal rules of order in order to take a vote on a specific bill, so all major House bills start with a rule being passed through the Rules Committee.

The reason for this is arcane and historical, but in practice it puts power in the House in the hands of the majority party, which controls the Rules Committee, rather than leaving it all in the hands of the Speaker of the House as had been the case previously.

They still need a majority to pass the bill.

edit: Here's a CRS report on the topic: https://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30945.pdf

This doesn't affect the Senate at all, although the Senate is also cheating in a different way using the budget reconciliation window.

@DavidWright_CNN 12m12 minutes ago
More
.@freedomcaucus chair Meadows on healthcare bill: "To say that we've got a deal, that wouldn't be accurate" -- says "agreement in principal"

We have liftoff.

I am hoping that whatever is being put in place to please freedom caucus turns off all moderates.

Still believe this passes the house Thursday.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
We have liftoff.

I am hoping that whatever is being put in place to please freedom caucus turns off all moderates.

Still believe this passes the house Thursday.

Changing their already-terrible bill to be more appealing to the fringe is long-term political death (and actual human death!) so I'm still reluctant to say I'd expect this to become law.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
AP Exclusive: US probes banking of ex-Trump campaign chief
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. Treasury Department agents have recently obtained information about offshore financial transactions involving President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, as part of a federal anti-corruption probe into his work in Eastern Europe, The Associated Press has learned.

Information about Manafort's transactions was turned over earlier this year to U.S. agents working in the Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network by investigators in Cyprus at the U.S. agency's request, a person familiar with the case said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to publicly discuss a criminal investigation.

The Cyprus attorney general, one of the country's top law enforcement officers, was made aware of the American request.

A spokesman for Manafort did not immediately respond to questions from the AP.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why is it passing the House best case scenario when those ads can still be made regardless of passage? The bill dying in the House would be a total defeat and embarrassment for Tump. I want that.

The bill dying in the Senate would still be an embarrassing event for Trump, and would have the added effect of the House passing the bill and tying that political noose around their own necks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Except it will pass in the Senate when they cross a T on the front cover and Lisa Murkowski shits out, "Although I have my objections to this flawed bill, our country cannot continue under the disastrous reign of the Hitler Act Obamacare."

GL poors.

edit: Trump will campaign on it as being the best ever and people will believe him. Before AHCGodA, premiums were going crazy. Now they are lowest ever. CNN is fake news.

Did yall live through 2016

They should really just plaster this image everywhere.

YnObtpC.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/22/us/who-gain-who-loses-republican-health-plan.html

Diablos

I am legit terrified about our national security under this President.

And the economy... and healthcare... and what is in store for the future of the US... it's a nightmare.

Diablos

Anyone who gets healthcare outside their employer should be pretty terrified. Question is, are people acting on that fear?
I get it through my employer. anyone who will ever use health insurance period should be terrified. Everyone's premiums are probably gonna rise, and if you change jobs and need something in between the AHCA is going to offer you the shittiest of shitty care.

Hope nothing bad ever happens to you when your life may literally depend on an AHCA plan as well

Mental health not being covered anymore is a moral absurdity, go down the list...

This isn't just about if you're low income or not.

Rep Thomas Massie (R): "The Healthcare companies were at the table when this bill was created, that's why they are the ones making out the best in this deal"

Diablos

If you lose your job and get sick or in an accident you a fucking hosed.
If you change jobs, even.

So yes if you're living your life even when you make a major change, like, you know, finding a new or better job, moving, etc. you should be terrified and outraged. This is not just about how thick your wallet is or isn't.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love how the Freedom Caucus looks to be heroes here, but in reality are like, "Let's just end regulations on the industry and we'll vote yes."

Pure scum.

Wilsongt

New Yorker published an article basically telling us who was responsible for Breitbart, Bannon, and Trump: Robert Mercer and his daughter.

A man who states that radiation can be healthy for humans, that we should have taken Iraq's oil, and Civil Rights Act was a mistake.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newy...e-fund-tycoon-behind-the-trump-presidency/amp

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Just watched the totally biased and fake news reports of the so-called Russia story on NBC and ABC. Such dishonesty!
8:18 AM · Mar 23, 2017

Diablos

Shows how weak the "moderates" are that they will go along with this
There are barely any true moderates in the GOP left. McCain is probably the most well known and even then he rolls over most of the time anyway.

The Republican Party is a shell of its forner self. I think even their lord and savior Ronald Reagan would be disgusted by a lot of their antics right now

tbm24

I'm still dumbfounded that Trump is allowed his personal phone still. With all the bullshit about emails, this fucker has his personal phone, likely personal email, and social media accounts at his disposal at any given moment.

Plinko

AARP California‏ @AARPCA

.@AARP will publish how each member of Congress votes on #AHCA. @RepPaulCook @RepJeffDenham @Rep_Hunter @RepDavidValadao @DarrellIssa

AARP going in. Love it.

Blader

So is Robert Mercer the right's Soros?

Yes, except Mercer's bullshit is actually real.

I have been saying since he was the front runner in the Primaries, Trump is the worst thing to ever happen to the Republican Party. It's going to get so bad that just having an (R) next to your name is like a badge of shame, if the AHCA and Trump's continual investigations are any indicator.

There is literally nothing that can shame 40ish percent of the country out of being a Republican. If there's a bad Republican in office, then that's a reflection on him/her, not the voters. When that person fails, it's because they weren't a real Republican, they were a RINO. It'll be extremely easy for Republicans, both on the Hill and throughout the country, to do this with Trump eventually because he is probably the least conservative Republican to run for, let alone, win the presidency in a long time.

But no serious amount of Republican voters will ever feel that an R next to their name, or their candidate's name, is a badge of shame. How quickly we forget George W. Bush, a doofus who put this country through some of its worst turmoil *ever* and left office with miserable approval ratings, and yet the Republican Party not only continues to exist but many of them still speak glowingly of Bush!

Plinko

The GOP is waking the sleeping beast.

The freshman in congress don't really seem to understand the power of AARP.

Right. And I'm not delusional enough to think these people will magically vote all democrat, but I do believe they'll stay home on voting day, and that could be enough.

What's going on?

It's been a lightly covered story. There has been a huge uptick in bomb threats made to Jewish Community Centers, and they were trying to find the source of them. Looks like they have a suspect now. Also this topic lead to one of the most hilariously bad responses Donald Trump has ever given to a question.

It's been a lightly covered story. There has been a huge uptick in bomb threats made to Jewish Community Centers, and they were trying to find the source of them. Looks like they have a suspect now. Also this topic lead to one of the most hilariously bad responses Donald Trump has ever given to a question.

Then you also had that dude that supposedly made some of the threats in his ex-girlfriend's name to get back at her I guess.

Ah. Thank you.

And manafort is about to snitch

Wilsongt

He salty.

Bobby Brooks, a junior at Texas A&M, made history this month when he was elected as the university’s first openly gay student body president.

Nearly two decades prior, Rick Perry, also an A&M alumnus, made his own bit of university history when he became the first Aggie to serve as governor of Texas.

But for their shared school pride, these men and their accomplishments had nothing to do with each other.

That changed Wednesday, when Perry, the country’s current energy secretary, chose to plunge into campus politics, claiming publicly that Brooks stole the election from another student.

That student, Robert McIntosh, is the son of a prominent Republican fundraiser in Dallas who campaigned for Donald Trump during his presidential election.

Perry wrote in a lengthy commentary for the Houston Chronicle that he was “deeply troubled” by the actions of A&M’s administration and Student Government Association for overseeing what he viewed as an engineered election that awarded victory to Brooks in a “quest for ‘diversity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-of-stealing-election/?utm_term=.6ea5097e1f0e

He real salty.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...hp?t=78efa54229438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

Morts

With every story on healthcare legislation I have to stop and try and figure out if they're talking about effects on everybody, or just people who purchased insurance through the exchange? That link shows a small tax cut for families between $50k-$70K, but is that tax cut just an increase in exchange subsidies? How will this affect people whose insurance is through their employers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom