• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Angryhead
(03-06-2017, 06:38 PM)

Originally Posted by ultron87

I'm running my first session of The Sprawl tomorrow! This will be the first thing I've run in the Apocalypse World system, so I'm a little nervous about running that kind of game which feels pretty different than the DnD style stuff I've DMed before. I've listened to a bunch of The Sprawl being played on Friends at the Table so I think I have a decent idea at how it should go. Really I'm just super excited to run something in a non fantasy setting and in a less rules heavy system.

This is from a while ago but how did it go?
I'm super into the idea of it and so ordered the book recently.
Noisy Ninj4
(03-06-2017, 07:15 PM)
I've started looking into using Ufotable's Fate world as the background for an Exalted campaign. Basically generating servants as exalted with the masters as heroic mortals or possibly dragon blooded.

Anyone use the exalted system like this? How'd it go?
FUBAR McDangles
(03-27-2017, 12:50 AM)
Probably going to be joining my first game in the next few weeks. Still can't find anybody in person but I've been all over Roll20 for the past few days trying to find games and get as much information as I can.

Don't suppose anybody on gaf wants to try something? I'm completely new to darn near everything - though I have done text-based RPGs on forums in the past.

Originally Posted by Fou-Lu

Is anyone on GAF interested in starting up a new play by post game? I know some guys are already doing one, but there's room for more if we could get the players!

Sure. Should be fun. Could be a cool way for me to learn more about everything as a starter for me.
Last edited by FUBAR McDangles; 03-27-2017 at 01:02 AM.
dude
dude
(03-27-2017, 12:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Noisy Ninj4

I've started looking into using Ufotable's Fate world as the background for an Exalted campaign. Basically generating servants as exalted with the masters as heroic mortals or possibly dragon blooded.

Anyone use the exalted system like this? How'd it go?

Could you elaborate? I'm not familiar with Ufotable's Fate at all, and don't even know what it is - But I've been running Exalted for years now and it's our go-to game. We've had an Exalted campaign going for the last three years and we recently switched to 3e.
ultron87
(03-27-2017, 01:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Angryhead

This is from a while ago but how did it go?
I'm super into the idea of it and so ordered the book recently.

Also responding to this quite lately, but it was fun! The campaign didn't continue on as real life scheduling killed yet another RPG campaign, but I really like how the system plays. Having played almost exclusively D&D and Dungeon World for a long time it was really fun to play a cyberpunk setting for a session or two. I really enjoy the different set of options such a setting gives for adding in complications to a situation. You can mess with people's cybernetics, have corporate assets interrupt a mission, or have tons of other interruptions. The game generally being set in a mega-city makes that kind of interference from previously unseen forces make so much more sense than if you're at a classic RPG quest hub town surrounded by wilderness.

I need to schedule another one shot game of this sometime.

Other games I want to play soon are running one shots of Lady Blackbird, and possibly running a game of Monster of the Week for my friends that love Supernatural.
ultron87
(03-28-2017, 06:51 PM)
I'm playing in a Paranoia one-shot tonight at a local board game cafe. I'm not totally sure if it is one of the older sets of rules or if it is the output from the Kickstarter, but I'm looking forward to playing it either way. Paranoia has been one of those RPGs I've wanted to try for awhile after hearing about it but haven't gotten the chance.
Megalosaro
(03-28-2017, 07:29 PM)
Anyone pick up Yawning Portal?
Megalosaro
(03-28-2017, 07:37 PM)
Mike M
Nick N
(04-05-2017, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Megalosaro

Just got it tonight, actually. My sister-in-law got it for me to appease my wrath at her needing me to pick he kid up from the airport in the middle of the night when I have an early morning the next day because she forgot she's going to be in fucking Canada.

All these modules predate my interest in D&D, so it's all new to me. Plus they're short enough that I may be able to con my wife into playing.
Megalosaro
(04-22-2017, 07:53 PM)
One of my players took Curse of Strahd dark.

They were speaking to Ireena about Strahd. They asked if she wanted to be Strahd's wife.
She said she'd rather be dead.

They then tried convincing her to commit suicide. Is mark over heard and shut that down.
lethial
(05-04-2017, 02:24 AM)
I'm being a DM and creating the game but for the life of me I can't figure out exactly how ability rolls work and how I incorporate it into to puzzles. I have the books, I've googled but still can't find a good example that makes it clear. Any help would be appreciated, it's my first time DMing and really playing it.
Mike M
Nick N
(05-04-2017, 03:05 AM)

Originally Posted by lethial

I'm being a DM and creating the game but for the life of me I can't figure out exactly how ability rolls work and how I incorporate it into to puzzles. I have the books, I've googled but still can't find a good example that makes it clear. Any help would be appreciated, it's my first time DMing and really playing it.

Just naked ability checks? The DM screen has some examples to go off of, if I recall correctly.

This looks pretty similar.
lethial
(05-04-2017, 03:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Mike M

Just naked ability checks? The DM screen has some examples to go off of, if I recall correctly.

This looks pretty similar.

Let's say you have a secret opening in a wall and a character wants to use their "whatever" ability\int\char\etc to take a better look at the wall. Do you determine the difficulty (a number eg 25) of finding it and that is what the player rolls against to get =>?

Thanks for the link I'll check it out.
Last edited by lethial; 05-04-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Jest Chillin
(05-04-2017, 03:22 AM)

Originally Posted by lethial

Let's say you have a secret opening in a wall and a character wantss to use their "whatever" ability\int\char\etc to take a better look at the wall. Do you determine the difficulty (a number eg 25) of finding it and that is what the player rolls against to get =>?

Yes. Look at the link that Mike M provided above. The section that you would want to reference is "Difficulty Classes." As DM, you want to decide just how difficult this wall opening is to discover based on your own criteria. That criteria can be things like what's hidden behind the wall? A powerful item? A short cut that would avoid several enemy encounters? A book with a bit of lore for the world? Etc.. etc... Based on whatever the criteria is, you come up with a number that they have to meet or exceed to reveal the opening.
lethial
(05-04-2017, 03:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Jest Chillin

Yes. Look at the link that Mike M provided above. The section that you would want to reference is "Difficulty Classes." As DM, you want to decide just how difficult this wall opening is to discover based on your own criteria. That criteria can be things like what's hidden behind the wall? A powerful item? A short cut that would avoid several enemy encounters? A book with a bit of lore for the world? Etc.. etc... Based on whatever the criteria is, you come up with a number that they have to meet or exceed to reveal the opening.

It's starting to make sense! Thanks!
Swuabino
(05-04-2017, 11:12 PM)
Question for the more seasoned DMs here. I'm introducing several new players to the game and want to make the experience as easy/visual as possible. I've been a big fan of creating cheat sheets/reference cards for various items/spells in the past, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for good first or third party decks? For example, I saw this set listed on Kickstarter and really enjoyed the art:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...5e/description

Any other recommendations along those lines? Thanks!
Megalosaro
(05-04-2017, 11:21 PM)
Gale Force 9 has cards
ultron87
(07-17-2017, 04:44 PM)
Started a game of Masks: A New Generation with a group of my friends over Roll20 last night. We just made characters, and geez I love the whole Powered by the Apocalypse style of making characters. The way Playbooks are laid out and the way it encourages collaboration between the GM and the players is just so lovely. And it's super easy to do without having any of the complicated math or pouring over rulebooks you see in D&D.

Actually starting to play next Sunday, so we'll see how that ends up going. I haven't run a ton of games in that system, just a session of Dungeon World and a session of The Sprawl, so I'm still a little nervous on presenting a compelling enough story without planning everything out. We've got to play to find out what happens, of course. I'm glad I'll at least have this week to think up some villains and NPCs and whatnot so I'll have stuff to pull in when needed. I've at least listened to plenty of Friends at the Table now, so that has given me plenty of good examples of play to work from.
Fou-Lu
(07-17-2017, 06:13 PM)
It's almost physically painful to not have a PnP RPG in my life. I keep trying to get my friends back home to play by Fantasy Grounds, Roll20 or PbP, but even if they are interested getting times to line up is nearly impossible. I've tried some local games but just didn't gel with the people or the environments.
Speely
(07-18-2017, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Megalosaro

Our DM got all the throwback modules. It's been a blast.

Originally Posted by Mike M

Just got it tonight, actually. My sister-in-law got it for me to appease my wrath at her needing me to pick he kid up from the airport in the middle of the night when I have an early morning the next day because she forgot she's going to be in fucking Canada.

All these modules predate my interest in D&D, so it's all new to me. Plus they're short enough that I may be able to con my wife into playing.

So we have Yawning Portal running as a hub of sorts from what I can tell, and our new lowbie characters just finished Sunless Citadel.

Hot damn it's been fun. Feels "classic" yet well-adopted to 5e for sure. We are playing through Forge of Fury now.

It's fun just being a player for a change. As an aside, Bards are amazing in 5e!
ultron87
(07-18-2017, 08:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Fou-Lu

It's almost physically painful to not have a PnP RPG in my life. I keep trying to get my friends back home to play by Fantasy Grounds, Roll20 or PbP, but even if they are interested getting times to line up is nearly impossible. I've tried some local games but just didn't gel with the people or the environments.

Yeah, this thing I just started is the first success I've had in awhile. Schedules are so tough to coordinate. The only other thing I had luck with getting together busy people was for games that are explicitly single session like Goblin Quest, The Quiet Year, Fiasco or Our Last Best Hope. People seem much more willing to commit to 3 hours on one night instead of an ongoing thing.
Night Hunter
(07-18-2017, 09:47 PM)
Honestly, my group started to play online a decade ago, maintaining it would be impossible due to different schedules, even different countries now. But we decided to embrace the role playing aspect and have been playing the same campaign for 13 years now. By far the best GM I ever had, best group and the best campaign I have ever seen, official or otherwise.

If you have found a good group, never let them go.
Dreavus
(07-18-2017, 10:18 PM)
I kind of went overkill for a bit there and tried to GM two games and play in one (all Dungeon World). As you can probably guess, they've all kind of dried up. It's just tough to schedule.

One is a super long running game that's probably due to end anyways. I've been thinking about trying to do one more session and just force an insane world-ending confrontation that's been simmering in the campaign's background, but I'm not sure if that's a fitting idea (kind of goes against the principles of DW).

I have another newer game with a completely different group that's been sitting on the edge of it's second chapter for ages. That's mostly on me, but we meet at one of the other guys' places so it's weird scheduling around the two of us (+ the others to actually assemble the group). Half the time plans fall through and we sometimes salvage it into general board games.

And a third group which I play in - like, as a PC, I can't believe it either! - is a ton of fun and I love my character concept, but the other members have pretty inconsistent work schedules and we've been away from it for months. :(

Originally Posted by ultron87

Started a game of Masks: A New Generation with a group of my friends over Roll20 last night. We just made characters, and geez I love the whole Powered by the Apocalypse style of making characters. The way Playbooks are laid out and the way it encourages collaboration between the GM and the players is just so lovely. And it's super easy to do without having any of the complicated math or pouring over rulebooks you see in D&D.

Actually starting to play next Sunday, so we'll see how that ends up going. I haven't run a ton of games in that system, just a session of Dungeon World and a session of The Sprawl, so I'm still a little nervous on presenting a compelling enough story without planning everything out. We've got to play to find out what happens, of course. I'm glad I'll at least have this week to think up some villains and NPCs and whatnot so I'll have stuff to pull in when needed. I've at least listened to plenty of Friends at the Table now, so that has given me plenty of good examples of play to work from.

I'd love to hear how it goes. I have been a PbtA convert for a while now and absolutely adore Dungeon World, but I know a few of the people in my group are super hero fans so that game sounds very interesting.
Speely
(07-19-2017, 03:39 PM)
Starting my new campaign this week! So psyched. I have 4 players on board who are eager to roll up some characters.

It's a homebrew campaign setting about secret magical societies and... food. Kinda goofy/spoofy but I think it'll be fun. Sorta Monty Python meets D&D. And, erm, weird cooking/brewing mechanics.

Running it with a very lightly-modified Cypher System ruleset. I think it's gonna be a fun romp. :)
Famassu
(07-20-2017, 08:18 PM)
Had my first GMing experience last sunday. Had a kind of a one-shot thing though left it at a point where they can continue it easily. Have only played for a couple of years and even from that we had one game of 2-3 months (of playing every 1-3 weeks) in 2015 and then almost a year break and then once or twice a month (with one 2+ month break) from July/August 2016 to April 2017, before this.

I'm kinda trying to make up my own scenarios. Might look into some (free) modules in the future for ideas if I feel like I can't come up with anything myself, but my first ghost ship-y scenario went pretty decent, so I feel inclined to continue this way. I have some larger story beats & possibilities in my head on an idea-level (some pretty ambitious ones, lol), but nothing too specific until I get a bit of an idea where the PCs are headed. I left them with a cursed vase they found from the ship that they are supposed to take back to the queen who sent them on the mission of finding out what had happened to the ship & bringing back what the OG crew had been sent out to do, but considering what had happened at the ship, I'm interested to see whether they'll just go ahead and try to find a way to destroy it, in which case the queen would prooobably not be happy and that would have its own consequences.

Have also asked the players to write a short ~1 page bio of their characters now that the one-shot is done and they seem like they might like to continue, just to see if I'll get some stuff that I could implement into the story this early on.

It was a pretty fun experience for me as well. I need to prepare some stuff a bit more (especially look for some better rewards), but otherwise it went pretty well. I had underestimated the PCs a bit, so I had to throw a few more zombies at them to provide any kind of challenge & increase the HP of the end boss(that I had slightly weakened in a few ways because it was a higher level monster) on the fly by quite a lot since they had this Fighter PC who was completely insane at dealing damage at lvl 3. -_-;