• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

tim.mbp
Member
(07-17-2017, 08:57 AM)
tim.mbp's Avatar
We ready for the 2017 edition of the prestigious International Champions Cup?
acohrs
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:32 AM)
acohrs's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Live sport costs money and generates money, and that isn't going to change just because people that want to watch Netflix and Amazon (and the types of shows that they produce) like paying £7 a month instead of £50. For it to make an impact, there needs to be less people bidding for the packages not more as the PL will sell to the highest bidder (sort of. Rumour in the industry is that BT outbid Sky for all packages this time around).

If Netflix or Amazon decided to weigh in and try to buy a package it would only drive the prices for each match package up and the competition will drive prices down for us.

If people really do get driven away from Sky or BT because of cost and those companies no longer have the money to bid £11m per game then someone else will step in to try and do it. That could even be Amazon or Netflix. Amazon certainly has the money.

BT though wanted to come in and disrupt the industry and they knew that buying the sport will help them get subscribers for phone lines and broadband which is where they can basically fleece people because operating costs are comparatively low.

Sky can make less profit from both, since it all has to go through BT networks anyway.

I'd love the PL to be back on the BBC or on Netflix or something, though at the moment my internet is shit so fuck that.

Instead, I for the first time just subscribed to sky Sport and BT sport, 8 years after leaving my parents home. Why? Because BT were offering half price and Sky gave me 60% off. So I get every broadcast PL game, FA Cup, league cup, CL and my F1 for £30.49 a month, much better than the sticker price of about £62 a month to get the pair on Sky (not including the base package).



Sky actually aren't too fussed about the CL, as the deal is for UK market only and people in the UK only really watch the English teams. Despite that, they have to cover every game which is a lot of work and money. While they'd have it if it was going, they are fine letting BT faff around with it.

Would getting NowTV and just paying for match days be more or less expensive? Can piggyback atm on my dad's sky go account and watch thru my ps4.

Plus in Ireland, sky gets a 3pm Saturday kickoff match so makes it a even better deal
His Majesty
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:39 AM)
His Majesty's Avatar
arsenal making it very clear Walcott can leave

McMoneyman
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:41 AM)
McMoneyman's Avatar
https://twitter.com/UltraSuristic_/s...17679792525313

Guess that Costa wont stay at Chelsea.
DBT85
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:59 AM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by acohrs

Would getting NowTV and just paying for match days be more or less expensive? Can piggyback atm on my dad's sky go account and watch thru my ps4.

Plus in Ireland, sky gets a 3pm Saturday kickoff match so makes it a even better deal

Depends who you watch. A 24hr pass is like £7 so how many days do you want to watch.

Sky are currently desperate for subs so if you call you could probably get a good deal. As I said, I have 60% off sport and box sets. My dad has the full TV package which is usually £80 a month and I got him 60% off too.

Originally Posted by His Majesty

arsenal making it very clear Walcott can leave

Literally in the bin lol.
Peco
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:22 AM)
Peco's Avatar

Originally Posted by Loris146

Last 5 years.... What a nightmare.

Tbf Petagna is better than Borini (different kind of players I know, but still)
-data-
Junior Member
(07-17-2017, 11:44 AM)
-data-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by McMoneyman

https://twitter.com/UltraSuristic_/s...17679792525313

Guess that Costa wont stay at Chelsea.

Chelsea's last minute scramble for a Striker will be GLORIOUS
Moobabe
Sassy with Monet
Splash Damage Content Marketing Manager
(07-17-2017, 11:59 AM)
Moobabe's Avatar

Originally Posted by -data-

Chelsea's last minute scramble for a Striker will be GLORIOUS

Apparently Milan are going to beat us to Morata as well..
CecilRousso
Member
(07-17-2017, 12:02 PM)
CecilRousso's Avatar

Originally Posted by -data-

Chelsea's last minute scramble for a Striker will be GLORIOUS

FFS Chelsea, just buy someone, anyone, so you're not coming to Palace in August to start and mess around with Benteke.
TimmmV
Member
(07-17-2017, 12:12 PM)
TimmmV's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Instead, I for the first time just subscribed to sky Sport and BT sport, 8 years after leaving my parents home. Why? Because BT were offering half price and Sky gave me 60% off. So I get every broadcast PL game, FA Cup, league cup, CL and my F1 for £30.49 a month, much better than the sticker price of about £62 a month to get the pair on Sky (not including the base package).

This basically is what my point is though - would you be getting those packages if you had to pay full price?

I think plenty of the millennial generation would be prepared to pay £20-£30 a month for live PL football, but probably not much more than that, given that you can get free streams (and for every game, not just those offered by Sky/BT/whoever) at high quality extremely easily online.

Basically, the internet has broken the PL business model for our generation. The PL selling the monopoly on football rights to sky for huge amounts of money (that they then recoup from high cost of a sky sports sub) won't work in the long term, because people will just stream stuff if the price to see it legally is that high.
His Majesty
Member
(07-17-2017, 12:19 PM)
His Majesty's Avatar

Originally Posted by -data-

Chelsea's last minute scramble for a Striker will be GLORIOUS

Costa I don't even know what's happening right now, somehow ended up with the most commented Instagram post ever?
Loic Remy (about to be) injured
Can't start Batshuayi because who else will run the twitter account and enter in the 89th minute

Lukaku to Man Utd
Morata to Milan
Aubameyang deadline 8 days

help needed very urgent plz

For real I hope they simply buy a good back-up striker and start the season with Batshuayi.
Last edited by His Majesty; 07-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.
acohrs
Member
(07-17-2017, 12:35 PM)
acohrs's Avatar
maybe we can ask drogba to come back a third time?
acohrs
Member
(07-17-2017, 12:39 PM)
acohrs's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Depends who you watch. A 24hr pass is like £7 so how many days do you want to watch.

Sky are currently desperate for subs so if you call you could probably get a good deal. As I said, I have 60% off sport and box sets. My dad has the full TV package which is usually £80 a month and I got him 60% off too.



Literally in the bin lol.

Good to know, problem with Now TV is the initial installation and box fee. Think I will just stick to raiding my dad's sky go haha
Beefy
Member
(07-17-2017, 01:15 PM)
Beefy's Avatar
Chelsea wanting Aguero is real 😂
cartoon_soldier
Member
(07-17-2017, 01:21 PM)
cartoon_soldier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beefy

Chelsea wanting Aguero is real 😂

Pep allowing anything like that would be a huge mistake.
DBT85
Member
(07-17-2017, 01:24 PM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by TimmmV

This basically is what my point is though - would you be getting those packages if you had to pay full price?

I think plenty of the millennial generation would be prepared to pay £20-£30 a month for live PL football, but probably not much more than that, given that you can get free streams (and for every game, not just those offered by Sky/BT/whoever) at high quality extremely easily online.

Basically, the internet has broken the PL business model for our generation. The PL selling the monopoly on football rights to sky for huge amounts of money (that they then recoup from high cost of a sky sports sub) won't work in the long term, because people will just stream stuff if the price to see it legally is that high.

I wouldn't (never had sports before) but many do, and the whole point is that sky don't have a monopoly on PL matches, they show 126, BT show 48. The competition has driven deals like this for consumers and price higher for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised to see BT get half the games in 2 years time, they have deep pockets.

Sky are actively changing as of yesterday, you can now have just the PL sport channel for £18 a month if you want it, down from £27.50 for the whole sport package.

If Amazon or Netflix were to try and get a package of matches in 2 years time, they'd be happy paying through the nose. Why? Because sport is one of the few things you can still sell and also get great numbers doing so.

The PL are actively working very hard to curb the piracy that they face just like any other media company. Hell, our output is delayed 2 seconds just so that it is now copyright, as you can't copyright a live broadcast apparently.
Beefy
Member
(07-17-2017, 01:25 PM)
Beefy's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

I wouldn't (never had sports before) but many do, and the whole point is that sky don't have a monopoly on PL matches, they show 126, BT show 48. The competition has driven deals like this for consumers and price higher for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised to see BT get half the games in 2 years time, they have deep pockets.

Sky are actively changing as of yesterday, you can now have just the PL sport channel for £18 a month if you want it, down from £27.50 for the whole sport package.

If Amazon or Netflix were to try and get a package of matches in 2 years time, they'd be happy paying through the nose. Why? Because sport is one of the few things you can still sell and also get great numbers doing so.

The PL are actively working very hard to curb the piracy that they face just like any other media company. Hell, our output is delayed 2 seconds just so that it is now copyright, as you can't copyright a live broadcast apparently.

Netflix haven't got a chance. I can see Amazon trying it though
-data-
Junior Member
(07-17-2017, 01:28 PM)
-data-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Beefy

Netflix haven't got a chance. I can see Amazon trying it though

There was a rumour that Amazon would go for the Serie A streaming rights at some point.

Live sports definitely seems like the next step for the streaming platforms.
DBT85
Member
(07-17-2017, 01:35 PM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beefy

Netflix haven't got a chance. I can see Amazon trying it though

Indeed, and they've the money to obliterate Sky if they wanted to.

But again, you only get what the PL give, and Amazon could come in tomorrow with a bid 10% higher than both BT and Sky and the PL wouldn't give them more than probably 30 games for the first contract.
Beefy
Member
(07-17-2017, 01:42 PM)
Beefy's Avatar
Ok, this shit is the worst football promo now

https://twitter.com/paddypower/statu...97887136952321

Sanchez is like "kill me"
TimmmV
Member
(07-17-2017, 02:41 PM)
TimmmV's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

I wouldn't (never had sports before) but many do, and the whole point is that sky don't have a monopoly on PL matches, they show 126, BT show 48. The competition has driven deals like this for consumers and price higher for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised to see BT get half the games in 2 years time, they have deep pockets.

Sky are actively changing as of yesterday, you can now have just the PL sport channel for £18 a month if you want it, down from £27.50 for the whole sport package.

Yeah, hopefully Sky changing their pricing is recognising the problem and adapting to it in advance. But that may well come with the cost that they end up paying the PL less for the domestic TV rights in the future. TV money going up and up isn't a sustainable business plan if it relies on the cost of subscription going up forever.

Originally Posted by DBT85

If Amazon or Netflix were to try and get a package of matches in 2 years time, they'd be happy paying through the nose. Why? Because sport is one of the few things you can still sell and also get great numbers doing so.

The PL are actively working very hard to curb the piracy that they face just like any other media company. Hell, our output is delayed 2 seconds just so that it is now copyright, as you can't copyright a live broadcast apparently.

And the best thing the PL could do to curb piracy is to make streaming cheaper and easier to access for everyone - like Spotify and Netflix have done for music/films
Moobabe
Sassy with Monet
Splash Damage Content Marketing Manager
(07-17-2017, 02:42 PM)
Moobabe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beefy

Chelsea wanting Aguero is real 😂

This would be madness from Pep.

Originally Posted by cartoon_soldier

Pep allowing anything like that would be a huge mistake.

Yep. Aguero is the best striker in the league bar none.
acohrs
Member
(07-17-2017, 02:44 PM)
acohrs's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

I wouldn't (never had sports before) but many do, and the whole point is that sky don't have a monopoly on PL matches, they show 126, BT show 48. The competition has driven deals like this for consumers and price higher for the PL. I wouldn't be surprised to see BT get half the games in 2 years time, they have deep pockets.

Sky are actively changing as of yesterday, you can now have just the PL sport channel for £18 a month if you want it, down from £27.50 for the whole sport package.

If Amazon or Netflix were to try and get a package of matches in 2 years time, they'd be happy paying through the nose. Why? Because sport is one of the few things you can still sell and also get great numbers doing so.

The PL are actively working very hard to curb the piracy that they face just like any other media company. Hell, our output is delayed 2 seconds just so that it is now copyright, as you can't copyright a live broadcast apparently.

136 actually, they get more due to 3pm kick offs in Ireland
Peco
Member
(07-17-2017, 03:05 PM)
Peco's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beefy

Chelsea wanting Aguero is real 😂

Classic Pep
McMoneyman
Member
(07-17-2017, 03:26 PM)
McMoneyman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moobabe

This would be madness from Pep.



Yep. Aguero is the best striker in the league bar none.


For people who remember PL in the 90s but that would be like Newcastle and Kevin Keegan selling Andy "Andrew" Cole to Man Utd.
Don Draper's Hat
Member
(07-17-2017, 03:29 PM)
Don Draper's Hat's Avatar

Originally Posted by McMoneyman

For people who remember PL in the 90s but that would be like Newcastle and Kevin Keegan selling Andy "Andrew" Cole to Man Utd.

Hey, you're forgetting Newcastle bagged Keith Gillespie in that deal.

Kevin Keegan is no mug, mate!
MaizeRage25
Member
(07-17-2017, 03:33 PM)
MaizeRage25's Avatar

Originally Posted by cartoon_soldier

Pep allowing anything like that would be a huge mistake.

Selling him is fine, but please not in PL.
McMoneyman
Member
(07-17-2017, 03:35 PM)
McMoneyman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Don Draper's Hat

Hey, you're forgetting Newcastle bagged Keith Gillespie in that deal.

Kevin Keegan is no mug, mate!

Forgot about that hehe.

I love Keegan.
KingSnake
The Birthday Skeleton
(07-17-2017, 03:44 PM)
KingSnake's Avatar
Maybe City gets Mbappe, so they can sell Aguero.
Loris146
Member
(07-17-2017, 03:47 PM)

Originally Posted by KingSnake

Maybe City gets Mbappe, so they can sell Aguero.

Aguero is much better though.
KingSnake
The Birthday Skeleton
(07-17-2017, 03:54 PM)
KingSnake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Loris146

Aguero is much better though.

Is he? I saw him mostly in CL last season and he never seem to be much above the team.
Beefy
Member
(07-17-2017, 04:31 PM)
Beefy's Avatar
Middlesbrough have a new strike force

Assombalonga £14m
Braithwaite. £9m
Moobabe
Sassy with Monet
Splash Damage Content Marketing Manager
(07-17-2017, 04:44 PM)
Moobabe's Avatar
Rumours that Keita and Robertson to Pool are done, and that we're in "advanced talks" with Dortmund over Auba, with personal terms agreed,
Beefy
Member
(07-17-2017, 04:54 PM)
Beefy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moobabe

Rumours that Keita and Robertson to Pool are done, and that we're in "advanced talks" with Dortmund over Auba, with personal terms agreed,

Other rumours that RB Leipzig have said no. ��

Also:

Juventus signed De Sciglio from Milan for 12m€

BREAKING NEWS: Norwich accept bid from Newcastle for Jacob Murphy, according to Sky sources. #SSN

Sky Italy: Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny on his way to Turin to sign for Juventus. €11- €12. Most clean sheets in Serie A last season
Last edited by Beefy; 07-17-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Dutch Gronk
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:23 PM)
Dutch Gronk's Avatar

Originally Posted by acohrs

maybe we can ask drogba to come back a third time?

Yes please.

That man can still go.
DBT85
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:24 PM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by McMoneyman

For people who remember PL in the 90s but that would be like Newcastle and Kevin Keegan selling Andy "Andrew" Cole to Man Utd.

lol. You know how that whole thing started? A journo asked him the key footballing question, "What do your parents call you" he said Andrew, Journo then asks what he should call him and he says "well if they call me Andrew...".

And lo, it is reported he's a whiny cunt that now wants to be called Andrew lol
Beefy
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:37 PM)
Beefy's Avatar
Di Marzio: PSG have bid for Neymar €222m!!!!!!!! Wtf

How can they do FFP if the deal happens?
Last edited by Beefy; 07-17-2017 at 06:07 PM.
GoldenCrow
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:38 PM)
GoldenCrow's Avatar

Originally Posted by cartoon_soldier

Pep allowing anything like that would be a huge mistake.

He can allow it all he likes but he isn't the last call on who stays or goes. He doesn't look like he is trying to push him out the door like he did with Hart either. (City still haven't got rid of Hart). But if Aguero wants to go then so be it.
McMoneyman
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:38 PM)
McMoneyman's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

lol. You know how that whole thing started? A journo asked him the key footballing question, "What do your parents call you" he said Andrew, Journo then asks what he should call him and he says "well if they call me Andrew...".

And lo, it is reported he's a whiny cunt that now wants to be called Andrew lol

Never knew that actually.
Loris146
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:47 PM)
Juve is close to sign De sciglio for 12 ML plus bonus (1-2ml i suppose).
MaizeRage25
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:03 PM)
MaizeRage25's Avatar

Originally Posted by KingSnake

Is he? I saw him mostly in CL last season and he never seem to be much above the team.

I'd take Mbappe over Aguero. Aguero is not a great fit for Pep, if he isn't scoring he doesn't do anything else to help the team.
Icolin
Of course. Dr. Pavel refused our offer in favor of yours, we had to find out what he told you about us.
(07-17-2017, 06:10 PM)
Icolin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moobabe

Rumours that Keita and Robertson to Pool are done, and that we're in "advanced talks" with Dortmund over Auba, with personal terms agreed,

Imagine a front 3 of Auba, Mane, and Salah...the PACE.

Besides that, Robertson is a solid, low risk and low cost addition, and Keita is the ball winning Kante lite we need.
TeddyBoy
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:13 PM)
TeddyBoy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moobabe

Rumours that Keita and Robertson to Pool are done, and that we're in "advanced talks" with Dortmund over Auba, with personal terms agreed,

I think Robertson is pretty much done, Keita I don't think we've even submitted a bid and Auba is pure FM crazy talk.

Originally Posted by Beefy

Di Marzio: PSG have bid for Neymar €222m!!!!!!!! Wtf

How can they do FFP if the deal happens?

Neymar is amazing, but sweet jesus!

FFP is dead btw, UEFA sort of gave up on the idea when it challenged in the courts IIRC.
acohrs
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:19 PM)
acohrs's Avatar
Platini gave up on FFP after PSG
DBT85
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:28 PM)
DBT85's Avatar
Woodward will be unzipping his fly ready for the biggest bid ever.
Beefy
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:34 PM)
Beefy's Avatar
Ashley Cole wants to join Birmingham
acohrs
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:36 PM)
acohrs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beefy

Ashley Cole wants to join Birmingham

Captain leader legend vs cashley in the Midlands derby, will be shit haha
Moobabe
Sassy with Monet
Splash Damage Content Marketing Manager
(07-17-2017, 09:15 PM)
Moobabe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Icolin

Imagine a front 3 of Auba, Mane, and Salah...the PACE.

Besides that, Robertson is a solid, low risk and low cost addition, and Keita is the ball winning Kante lite we need.

Sorry! By "we" I meant Chelsea!

Still, I really like Robertson - looked good every time I saw him for Hull. Shame that Chelsea haven't gone in for him really - solid, good delivery, still young with plenty of room for growth. But instead we're trying to spunk off 60 million for Sandro.
McMoneyman
Member
(07-17-2017, 09:19 PM)
McMoneyman's Avatar
Also worth noting with Robertson. Liverpool have never won the League without a Scot in their squad... so just saying ; - )
Syder
Member
(07-17-2017, 09:43 PM)
Syder's Avatar
Glad we're only signing Hart on loan. We already have Adrián and Randolph so there'll be pressure on whoever's starting to play to their best to stay in the team. I still think Adrián is the best keeper of the three but Bilić doesn't have faith in him.

Thread Tools