• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 03:42 AM)

Originally Posted by kaiyo

Try turning off smart cleaner.

Is there no blue light filter/ night mode option for Xperia? Feel like every oem has something even Google now.
VoxPop
(07-17-2017, 03:48 AM)

Originally Posted by BoboBrazil

Yep snapdragon version in US. You can download package disabler pro and disable stock samsung apps. That's about it since there isn't root for it.

Thanks, it's coming tomorrow so I'll make sure to try that out.
kaiyo
(07-17-2017, 04:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Is there no blue light filter/ night mode option for Xperia? Feel like every oem has something even Google now.

Stop using your phone while in bed =p

No, there's no night mode. Did the Pixel have it?
zchen
(07-17-2017, 04:31 AM)
My Mate 9 has an eye comfort mode.
Jazzy Network
(07-17-2017, 04:33 AM)
Pretty sure every phone now that is on 7.0 or higher has the comfort filter. Except Sony though apparently.
bedlamite
(07-17-2017, 04:40 AM)

Had to download an app for that. Pretty pathetic.
Husker86
(07-17-2017, 04:42 AM)

Originally Posted by kaiyo

Stop using your phone while in bed =p

No, there's no night mode. Did the Pixel have it?

Yeah, Pixel has it. 6P had it in 7.0 beta but it never made it to official release for some reason.
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 04:47 AM)
Pixel has it. Oneplus has it. Samsung has it. Apple has it. Huawei has it.

Not sure about LG and HTC. I don't buy sadness.
BoboBrazil
(07-17-2017, 05:00 AM)

The u11 has it.
chicken_pasta
Banned
(07-17-2017, 05:06 AM)

You bought an xperia.
kinggroin
Banned
(07-17-2017, 05:42 AM)
Google Keyboard has really been screwing the pooch with regards to swipe predictive text. Like, it's changing obvious words to obscure ones.
DrFunk
not licensed in your state
(07-17-2017, 05:43 AM)
Yeah the accuracy has been ass lately
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 05:53 AM)

Originally Posted by chicken_pasta

You bought an xperia.

Good point. Shipping label printed returning tomorrow.
BoboBrazil
(07-17-2017, 06:00 AM)

Lol, damn. Not sure why you even wasted time buying that one. Did the positive YouTube reviews get to you? I'm not buying another phone until Pixel XL 2.
Jazzy Network
(07-17-2017, 06:11 AM)
LG has it as well. Sony chooses to omit it. Like they choose to omit a FP sensor.
Quasar
(07-17-2017, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

Pretty sure every phone now that is on 7.0 or higher has the comfort filter. Except Sony though apparently.

Really don't get the enthusiasm for it. Looks terrible.
kaiyo
(07-17-2017, 06:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

LG has it as well. Sony chooses to omit it. Like they choose to omit a FP sensor.

Technically they did not omit it, the hardware is there. lol

Originally Posted by Quasar

chicken_pasta
Banned
(07-17-2017, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Quasar

It's easier on the eyes while on low light environments. It's not supposed to look pretty, the point is helping you read in the dark without going blind.
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 07:19 AM)

Originally Posted by BoboBrazil

Lol, damn. Not sure why you even wasted time buying that one. Did the positive YouTube reviews get to you? I'm not buying another phone until Pixel XL 2.

I want to see what a 4k screen on a phone is about and no demo units out.
BoboBrazil
(07-17-2017, 07:32 AM)

Not that impressive browsing gaf in 4k on a phone? Lol. I want a 4k amoled hdr screen on a phone.
Hasney
(07-17-2017, 07:51 AM)
I don't use then light filter on the S8 because it's shit compared to Twilight.
CS_Dan
(07-17-2017, 08:42 AM)
Doesn't twilight just add red, rather than take the blue away? It seemed to mess up my blacks on AMOLED last time I used it.
bedlamite
(07-17-2017, 09:12 AM)

You mentioned viewing text on it was blurry? Even at 1080p, text seems pretty damn sharp to me. My old v20 ran at 1440p but it's display was never as sharp as this, it isn't so much a resolution thing as it is PPI (the XZP has a 800 ppi screen, compared to a 500+ ppi S8)
Aarglefarg
(07-17-2017, 09:19 AM)
My 6P went from 40+% to shutting down instantly. I rebooted it right after and it showed as 1%, and shut down again.

I get home and plug it in, and it immediately shows as 40+%.

I know that more people have had this issue as well. Since I got the phone through a plan (...and they already replaced the handset that I considered faulty from when I got it, after months of sending it back and forth and being lied to about it), I don't have much hope.
vivftp
(07-17-2017, 09:26 AM)
Well, the order's in for my XZ Premium. Hope it arrives this week!
Groof
(07-17-2017, 09:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Aarglefarg

My 6P went from 40+% to shutting down instantly. I rebooted it right after and it showed as 1%, and shut down again.

I get home and plug it in, and it immediately shows as 40+%.

I know that more people have had this issue as well. Since I got the phone through a plan (...and they already replaced the handset that I considered faulty from when I got it, after months of sending it back and forth and being lied to about it), I don't have much hope.

Welcome to the club. Support meetings are every thursday, coffee and cookies are on the house. Bring your own charger though
PartTimeWarrior
Banned
(07-17-2017, 12:42 PM)
It's been a long time since I've rooted a phone. I'm thinking about rooting my s6 edge. What's the best method these days and does it still disable Android pay?
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by bedlamite

You mentioned viewing text on it was blurry? Even at 1080p, text seems pretty damn sharp to me. My old v20 ran at 1440p but it's display was never as sharp as this, it isn't so much a resolution thing as it is PPI (the XZP has a 800 ppi screen, compared to a 500+ ppi S8)

Don't know. Text looked noticeably less sharp than my 1440p amoled nexus 6 and s8+ at least to me.
DagsJT
(07-17-2017, 02:51 PM)

Originally Posted by PartTimeWarrior

It's been a long time since I've rooted a phone. I'm thinking about rooting my s6 edge. What's the best method these days and does it still disable Android pay?

Not sure about the S6 but on the S7 Knox will be disabled if you root. Could affect the resale of your phone if you go that way.
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 03:17 PM)
https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...android-report

So it seems like essential is coming to other regions too. US sales are 'imminent'.
ty_hot
(07-17-2017, 03:31 PM)
Dear gaffers, after more than a year I finally decided to get a portably charger. I went on a hike yesterday and even though we reached the city long before my battery run out (and I wouldnt get lost in there anyway), after a few hours taking photos/videos and sending them through 4g, my battery was at 15%... so I just didnt have an option other than activate airplane mode while I was on the way back home. 3 fucking hours in the bus. I know, first world problems lol anyway, I read some recomendations online and it seems that Anker products are (one of) the best out there.

I got this one:
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Anker 10.000mah Powercore.

I have a OP3T (USB-C) and my girlfriend a Galaxy A5 (micro usb), so I had to get the 'usb-a' one, even though I feel like I should jump to the usb-c train if possible. The USB-C option in the same price range had only 5000mah, which isnt much. I have a usb-a to usb-c cable already that I will use with my phone and that charger.

Anyway, I just want to confirm that this is indeed a good charger and that I wont regret having it :)
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 03:49 PM)

Originally Posted by ty_hot

Dear gaffers, after more than a year I finally decided to get a portably charger. I went on a hike yesterday and even though we reached the city long before my battery run out (and I wouldnt get lost in there anyway), after a few hours taking photos/videos and sending them through 4g, my battery was at 15%... so I just didnt have an option other than activate airplane mode while I was on the way back home. 3 fucking hours in the bus. I know, first world problems lol anyway, I read some recomendations online and it seems that Anker products are (one of) the best out there.

I got this one:

I have a OP3T (USB-C) and my girlfriend a Galaxy A5 (micro usb), so I had to get the 'usb-a' one, even though I feel like I should jump to the usb-c train if possible. The USB-C option in the same price range had only 5000mah, which isnt much. I have a usb-a to usb-c cable already that I will use with my phone and that charger.

Anyway, I just want to confirm that this is indeed a good charger and that I wont regret having it :)

Can't go wrong with anker. And it's not like OnePlus supports USB c power delivery so it shouldn't matter.

Maybe look into one that supports quick charge in case you ever switch to a phone with that, but otherwise that anker should be fine.
DrFunk
(07-17-2017, 04:03 PM)

V30 not looking horrible
sionyboy
(07-17-2017, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by DrFunk

[ig]http://www.slashleaks.com/wp-content/uploads/de7ickww0aa5b2z.jpg [/ig]

V30 not looking horrible

I hope they are using better camera sensors than the G6. The G6 can produce some good images, but a lot of the work is being done in software and post-processing.

I like my G6, but if LG can stick a bigger battery and better camera sensor in the V30 I'll be interested (especially given how quickly they drop in price).
Fox318
HE HATE ME

World's #1 Los Angeles XTREME fan.
(07-17-2017, 04:15 PM)
If it wasn't for the fact that I needed to get a phone I would have bought the G30 over the S8+
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 04:18 PM)
Now LG just needs to figure out how to make their skin less terrible looking. Easily the worst looking one in the West.

The nav buttons just look unfinished.
Al-ibn Kermit
(07-17-2017, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by ty_hot

I got this one:

I got this no name one last week just because the price was cray-cray.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331541674213?_mwBanner=1

It works great and I'm hopeful it won't blow up on me. Aren't all lithium batteries just made by the same few companies anyways (Panasonic, LG, Samsung) but then rebranded by others? I'm going on a trip next month and being able to fully charge 2 people's phones 3 times each is going to be nice.
chicken_pasta
Banned
(07-17-2017, 06:12 PM)

Originally Posted by sionyboy

I hope they are using better camera sensors than the G6. The G6 can produce some good images, but a lot of the work is being done in software and post-processing.

I like my G6, but if LG can stick a bigger battery and better camera sensor in the V30 I'll be interested (especially given how quickly they drop in price).

Can you shoot raw on the G6? That should solve your isse
DrFunk
(07-17-2017, 06:25 PM)

https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/17/this-is-the-nokia-8/
chicken_pasta
Banned
(07-17-2017, 06:53 PM)
That Nokia 8 looks so much like old Lumias :(
SolidSnakeUS
(07-17-2017, 07:28 PM)
I hate how large the bottom bezel is, but honestly, I have high hopes for this. If Nokia can come out with something legit in the Android market, they might be right back in it.
DagsJT
(07-17-2017, 07:33 PM)
Isn't Nokia just Microsoft these days?
Crimson_Gold
(07-17-2017, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by DagsJT

Isn't Nokia just Microsoft these days?

No a company made up mostly of former Nokia employees licensed the right to use the brand name.
DagsJT
(07-17-2017, 07:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Crimson_Gold

No a company made up mostly of former Nokia employees licensed the right to use the brand name.

Ah interesting!
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 08:22 PM)

Oh right they have a zeiss partnership. Don't forget your Dx0 bribe money.
IronRaven
(07-17-2017, 08:22 PM)

Please have support for Verizon.
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by IronRaven

Please have support for Verizon.

No chance looking at Nokia 6 being GSM only and only on amazon.
NeOak
(07-17-2017, 08:53 PM)

Oh right they have a zeiss partnership. Don't forget your Dx0 bribe money.

It will get 74
Jeffrey
(07-17-2017, 09:45 PM)
Seems like there is another essential phone coming out.

http://m.gsmarena.com/new_essential_...-amp-26234.php

Maybe put that bezel less display in a cheaper package option as well?
Jayayess1190
(07-17-2017, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Maiden Voyage

Thanks. I will keep an eye on the thread.

So I got the G5 Plus today, put the Project Fi sim in and calls work, sms works, data works (via T-Mobile only), but mms messages are just characters. I know there is are fixes on Reddit/XDA so I need to go find them. Otherwise this phone is pretty nice for now. Have only seen the Amazon ads on the lock screen as drop downs, they are not too bad for now.

Edit: Dislike how pressing the fingerprint button only turns on the lock screen, requires a second press to get into the phone.

Installed the Fi app, seems to work.