• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 EDGE details

Yoboman

Edge score history:

MGS - 9
MGS2 - 8
MGS3 - 8

I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 has addressed all their problems though

StuBurns

Banned
monkeylite said:
As long as Kojima is directing I don't care. About time Raiden gets his starring role (if he doesn't die).

Still I believe we will be playing as Naked Snake for at least one more title.
I think MPO2 is very likely.

As for Raiden, there is no way you could be stealth as that crazy ninja.

Ed should be the new protagonist of the series, he has a connection to the other characters so we could still have Meryl and friends in the future games.

Yoboman

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I wouldn't mind the series starting fresh with a set of new characters. New gameplay style too. The envrionments would be similiar to the Splinter Cell games, as sneaking your way through cities. Would be cool in MGS5 to sneak your way through beautifully rendered Central Park at night.
Or just play Splinter Cell if you're looking for boring

Yoboman

Visualante said:
Like cut scenes? Hahahah.
Troll elsewhere please

Johnas said:
I was just wondering what games they've ever given 10s to. That MGS3 score makes me lol.

Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Gran Turismo
Halo
Half Life 2
Halo 3
The Orange Box
Mario Galaxy

They kinda stuffed up giving three in a row last year IMO

ZeroTolerance

Warrior300 said:
the views on this thread jumped from 37 to over 1000 in just 2 seconds :lol
hideo_no_problem.jpg

stuburns said:
I think MPO2 is very likely.

As for Raiden, there is no way you could be stealth as that crazy ninja.
If new Raiden is as bad ass as Gray Fox aka Cyborg Ninja then screw stealth!

As for EDGE score, you guys forgot:

Portable Ops 7/10

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I wouldn't mind the series starting fresh with a set of new characters. New gameplay style too. The envrionments would be similiar to the Splinter Cell games, as sneaking your way through cities. Would be cool in MGS5 to sneak your way through beautifully rendered Central Park at night.

They should make the main character Meryl and go from there.

AmMortal

Banned
Visualante said:
I'm not trolling anything. I'll bet any of you a 3 month ban this doesn't get an Edge 10.

really.. Really?

Are you sure you want to give up your freedom, for BANISHMENT!?

Yoboman

Visualante said:
I'm not trolling anything. I'll bet any of you a 3 month ban this doesn't get an Edge 10.
I didn't say it would. Cutscenes would hardly be something to remove that honour though

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
monkeylite said:
If new Raiden is as bad ass as Gray Fox aka Cyborg Ninja then screw stealth!

As for EDGE score, you guys forgot:

Portable Ops 7/10

As much as I love Raiden, I don't think he's suited for MGS in his current form. Maybe a hack and slash spin-off with crazy ninja moves, that would be sweet!

Yoboman said:
I didn't say it would. Cutscenes would hardly be something to remove that honour though
Sure they would. The way Edge talk about both cut scenes and QTEs, it quickly becomes apparent they have a distaste for anything that is not interactive. Besides this thread is about their glowing preview.

Warrior300 make it 6 months if you want.

Doc Evils

Visualante said:
Sure they would. The way Edge talk about both cut scenes and QTEs, it quickly becomes apparent they have a distaste for anything that is not interactive. Besides this thread is about their glowing preview.

quoted again just incase.:D

AmMortal

Banned
Visualante said:

Cool, if you win, no ban for you. If I win, 6 months of BANISHMENT for you!

You see, i win in anycase

Yoboman

Visualante said:

I think any complaining about cutscenes in MGS nowadays is entirely redundant and missing the point of why they are enjoyed. And Edge is nearly always on point. I think even if that is a sticking point, the sheer amount of content, improvements and overall sense the game should leave you with will be enough to at least put it on the teetering point between 9 and 10.

Especially based on this glowing preview

Though, they're probably more reluctant than ever to give another 10 after last year. And they might have to give two in a row with GTA so close as well :p

I honestly believe this might get a 10...

I mean edge gave a 10 to halo 3 and orange box...given their write up in the preview, I think this will get as high score as those two games. Really, this game is the biggest in the series, the accumlative impact is going to be bigger than MGS2. Personally, this is by far the most hyped Ive been for a game in the series, and I probably wont be able to play it until 5-6 months after release

I think the game will be applauded for its cutscene implementation...the last trailer had the best cutscene--> gameplay transition I have ever seen...

In the past week, I've gone from not caring about this game at all, to being super-hyped for it. When I heard they were making MGS4 all I thought of were 45-minute codec conversations, long cutscenes, "I slept with my mother" storyline silliness, etc.

The Assasin's Solid video made me ignore all of that. The game immediately grabbed my attention. Fast-forward a couple of days to 1UP Radio's recent podcast where Shane finally got to talk about MGS4. I can't stand Shane, but what he said about his time with the game really had me excited.

That day I went and pre-ordered MGS4 at LameStop and got the invite to the beta along with the bonus disc thingie. Couple days later this post comes up, and I'm all smiles. This game sounds awesome.

AmMortal

Banned
Yoboman said:
I think any complaining about cutscenes in MGS nowadays is entirely redundant and missing the point of why they are enjoyed. And Edge is nearly always on point. I think even if that is a sticking point, the sheer amount of content, improvements and overall sense the game should leave you with will be enough to at least put it on the teetering point between 9 and 10

Especially based on this glowing preview

I play MGS for the cut-scenes. that's what keeps me going from checkpoint to checkpoint

StuBurns

Banned
Reviews aren't just the reviewers direct opinion, they rate based on quality not on taste. I think it'll get 10/10 from Edge, I think it will from most places, the production quality of what we've seen so far is unparalleled in gaming.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
That'd be fine with me also.
Personally, I think she's far better character to start with than Meryl. She's kind of a blank slate.

Though a Meryl squad-based game could be particularly awesome

Warrior300 said:
Cool, if you win, no ban for you. If I win, 6 months of BANISHMENT for you!

You see, i win in anycase
You've never betted before, have you?

ilanna said:
As much as I love Raiden, I don't think he's suited for MGS in his current form. Maybe a hack and slash spin-off with crazy ninja moves, that would be sweet!
If it is anything like MGS3's nightmare game then count me in. :D

Yoboman said:
Personally, I think she's far better character to start with than Meryl. She's kind of a blank slate.

Though a Meryl squad-based game could be particularly awesome

Raidan would be better for me.

Top Bottom