• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

What I'm getting from this thread are that the guys that have actually played it and are experts on this sort of thing say that, while unfortunate, 30 FPS isn't a deal breaker and that the game overall seems to be a really damn good port, meanwhile some people that haven't played it and have only seen off screen compressed footage of a beta version of the game in its lowest powered form have decided that the port shouldn't be made as it's basically not DOOM anymore. gee whiz I wonder who's opinion I'm going to put more stock in.

harz-marz

What I'm getting from this thread are that the guys that have actually played it and are experts on this sort of thing say that, while unfortunate, 30 FPS isn't a deal breaker and that the game overall seems to be a really damn good port, meanwhile some people that haven't played it and have only seen off screen compressed footage of a beta version of the game in its lowest powered form have decided that the port shouldn't be made as it's basically not DOOM anymore. gee whiz I wonder who's opinion I'm going to put more stock in.

Siebendud

Neo Member
Pretty disgusting that some people are shitting on this port for being 30 fps on a lower spec machine instead of being amazed by the fact that it’s Doom portable with such a great graphic fidelity and stable performance.

KageMaru

The CoD = 60 fps = success syllogism is really dubious. It's not that I think it doesn't make games feel smoother, but I really don't think the market as a whole bares this out and there are easy too many secondary factors to possibly isolate frame rate.

In terms of critical reception, a very large fraction of metacritics top games of all time are 30 hz and a few are 20 with dips. It's basically mostly Mario that is 60 along with soul caliber and Metroid prime until you get into the 20s.

Yeah you make a good point. I was mostly going off of how many times I've read or heard people explaining they stayed with CoD because "the way it feels", which I think is directly related to the frame rate. I know that's anecdotal but I thought there was merit to the idea when games like Halo, Gears of War, and Uncharted have moved to 60fps for the multiplayer.

Also wouldn't a large portion of that metacritic list be ~30fps because the majority of games target that performance?

DataBased

Sucks that the framerate had to be cut down, but I mean what do people want? They need to make the thing run! Hopefully the framerate is stable and the resolution adjustments wont be too bad for people who pick this version up.

120v

Pretty disgusting that some people are shitting on this port for being 30 fps on a lower spec machine instead of being amazed by the fact that it's Doom portable with such a great graphic fidelity and stable performance.

i don't think there's any dispute (by anybody sane) this is an incredible feat

caveat here is doom 2016 is *fast*... outside of current MP arena shooters there's really nothing else where framerate can be so make or break.

Wamb0wneD

Is certainly a good effort. Game looks good.

But no 60fps is a nope for me, ppl who only have a switch should be satisfied.

I have a PS4 and Switch and I'll be getting it for the Switch anyway.

I also don't want to know how many people are ok with stuff like Destiny being 30fps and then coming in here and spouting their nonsense.

Yeah you make a good point. I was mostly going off of how many times I've read or heard people explaining they stayed with CoD because "the way it feels", which I think is directly related to the frame rate. I know that's anecdotal but I thought there was merit to the idea when games like Halo, Gears of War, and Uncharted have moved to 60fps for the multiplayer.

Also wouldn't a large portion of that metacritic list be ~30fps because the majority of games target that performance?

It's not that 60 isn't better, but 30hz and 60hz shooters coexisted for a very long time without clear sales dominance (in fact, in Halo's heyday you could say it was the reverse). It's only very recently that the last of the heavy hitters have made the switch to 60.

Call of Duty's multiplayer success it not just down to low input latency. Although CoD2 was 60fps and enjoyed popularity, it was not until 4 with the addition of numerous new features that it was catapulted into the position enjoys to this day. The multiplayer suite as a whole was perfected with this game - killstreaks, a huge selection of weapons and equipment, class based customization, perks, an addictive leveling and progression system, good map design, super fast respawn times, etc etc. The gameplay as a whole (not just the framerate) achieved an almost perfect balance that allowed inexperienced gamers to pick it up and have fun while still offering a respectable skill ceiling and kept veterans coming back for years. Since 2007 every major franchise has tried to copy the lessons of Modern Warfare, to a greater or lesser extent. It's a struggle to think of popular shooters in the last 5 years that didn't have some kind of progression metagame with ranks and unlocks.

The single player game still looked great in 2007 (even ignoring framerate), it had an action packed story mode that blew people away, and the multiplayer suite was highly addictive for a large number of reasons. Having played several Call of Duty games on PC at sub-60 framerates due to my PC being shit back in the day, I can also confirm for you that they're still very fun!

Considering the huge number of factors involved, can we really say that it's success was primarily because of the target framerate? And can we realistically extrapolate that 60fps translates in any direct way to high review scores or high sales? This is a popular, sexy idea for a lot of people on the forums but it feels very reductive and overly simplistic to me.

Fezan

I think 30 fps is fine for this game. The lower resolution on the other hand will look very soft. It's really a testament to how good id engine 6 is that they are able to run this game on such weak hardware.

In the end a competent port of Doom on switch is better than no port

spared

Destiny 1 and 2 were both mainly designed for 30 fps. From the floaty jumps, slow run animations and what not.

Shooting is faster , and controls are responsive more in 60fps, but certain things like animations, and what not were all designed to look and be played out in a 30fps environment.
Doom has mechanics that actually revolve around the speed of the frame rate. From what I've seen of the switch version it looks like certain things have been sped up to compensate for 30fps.
I wonder if animations are shorter as to make the game flow better when in a hectic fight using a power up that makes you stronger or run super fast.
But in any case Doom was meant to be super fast paced, especially with doing visceral combo's, using power up orbs to actually even shoot/kill faster.

That all now has to be compensated somehow in it's timings, animation delay's.
I would rather they find a way to either render the game differently to accomodate switch hardware, and take a hit on res so they could achieve 60fps.
Running at 30fps to me kills what makes doom so great. And that's coming from someone who played it on both PS4 and PC.

More than likely they have not had a lot of time developing for switch. They could have taken more time to maybe rework the engine more for tegra style chip switch has, and maybe write a more customized api, and renderer to help offset graphical impact on the processing so with a low res they would be able to achieve 60fps.

Gameplay means everything, and Doom is about fast paced in your face action that requires lightening reaction when in later fights during hell sections and beyond.

I have been playing Doom since the first one on PC and across multiple platforms ever since and it's not always been 60 fps everywhere, actually for the most part it has never been and I'll be more than glad to play that game on the go as much as I have played it on a stronger console... because it is still a good game without 60 fps. My ex-PC didn't run DOOM 2016 at 60 fps and I was still able to play and kick ass just as much. I do get your point, I'm just not sure you get mine. Still love you no matter what.

KageMaru

It's not that 60 isn't better, but 30hz and 60hz shooters coexisted for a very long time without clear sales dominance (in fact, in Halo's heyday you could say it was the reverse). It's only very recently that the last of the heavy hitters have made the switch to 60.

Call of Duty's multiplayer success it not just down to low input latency. Although CoD2 was 60fps and enjoyed popularity, it was not until 4 with the addition of numerous new features that it was catapulted into the position enjoys to this day. The multiplayer suite as a whole was perfected with this game - killstreaks, a huge selection of weapons and equipment, class based customization, perks, an addictive leveling and progression system, good map design, super fast respawn times, etc etc. The gameplay as a whole (not just the framerate) achieved an almost perfect balance that allowed inexperienced gamers to pick it up and have fun while still offering a respectable skill ceiling and kept veterans coming back for years. Since 2007 every major franchise has tried to copy the lessons of Modern Warfare, to a greater or lesser extent. It's a struggle to think of popular shooters in the last 5 years that didn't have some kind of progression metagame with ranks and unlocks.

The single player game still looked great in 2007 (even ignoring framerate), it had an action packed story mode that blew people away, and the multiplayer suite was highly addictive for a large number of reasons. Having played several Call of Duty games on PC at sub-60 framerates due to my PC being shit back in the day, I can also confirm for you that they're still very fun!

Considering the huge number of factors involved, can we really say that it's success was primarily because of the target framerate? And can we realistically extrapolate that 60fps translates in any direct way to high review scores or high sales? This is a popular, sexy idea for a lot of people on the forums but it feels very reductive and overly simplistic to me.

You do bring up some great points and it's true that CoD didn't see the jump in sales until they hit modern times with the multiplayer features that would become their template for years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd be nice if they included an extreme low visual setting that tried to hit that 60fps benchmark in portable mode, but I wonder if that'd require a bit too much work for a smaller port studio. Like combing over the models to reduce the triangle count beyond the in-built scalability. Still, the option would be welcome for those who really want to hit 60fps. Just like how some people drop their CSGO/BF/PUBG settings to low to ensure maximum framerate.

But, you know, the Switch is already a very limited system even if the GPU is feature rich. Doubly so for portable mode. No matter the content or engine scalability, having a very modern game powered by a very modern engine still supported and playable on a portable system is alone very impressive. There's major limitations with the Switch's hardware, and hitting 60fps on the go would be a hell of an achievement.

Tagg9

I'd be nice if they included an extreme low visual setting that tried to hit that 60fps benchmark in portable mode, but I wonder if that'd require a bit too much work for a smaller port studio. Like combing over the models to reduce the triangle count beyond the in-built scalability. Still, the option would be welcome for those who really want to hit 60fps. Just like how some people drop their CSGO/BF/PUBG settings to low to ensure maximum framerate.

But, you know, the Switch is already a very limited system even if the GPU is feature rich. Doubly so for portable mode. No matter the content or engine scalability, having a very modern game powered by a very modern engine still supported and playable on a portable system is alone very impressive. There's major limitations with the Switch's hardware, and hitting 60fps on the go would be a hell of an achievement.

It still wouldn't be possible without scaling back the number of enemies and reducing the number of necessary AI computations.

Sapiens

All these people bitching about a game they had never even heard of until that direct.

30 fps was the same frame rate we all watched Cheers in. Cheers.

Let that sink in.

It really does look like the CPU is the weak link.

And if it's CPU bound there's little they could do to mitigate that. Model complexity and enemy count might be the most effective way, but as you noted, model complexity might be more than a small(ish) port studio can handle for a title releasing in a couple of months.

Given the visuals on display, it doesn't seem like the GPU is the culprit.

All these people bitching about a game they had never even heard of until that direct.

30 fps was the same frame rate we all watched Cheers in. Cheers.

Let that sink in.
I watched Cheers at 24fps.

Mr big rich man with his CRT from the 90's! Mine worked in 1972 and dagnabit it worked until 2002!

I was convinced that they would drop enemy count before they let go of 60hz - but I was wrong. It's the full Doom experience at 30fps.

Its still an amazing achievement and I might still buy it because I really, really like Doom 2016. I won't lie, I had convinced myself they were going to pull off a miracle on Switch.

Depending on the final product I might still consider it a technical miracle. I was always on the fence about double dipping on the Switch version - the decision is still up in the air until we hear a price. (It's Bethesda, it'll be full price)

spared

I love Digital Foundry, but these "we built this PC to simulate console hardware X"-features are just dumb fillouts. If they would have any actual hardware architecture experience i'm sure they would just stay away from that type of guess-work comparisons.

The same could be said for the features with video from trailers as the only source. I mean that Doom-trailer could just be a video-rip of a video-rip of the PC version with video compression quality loss.

Great point. Look what Nintendo did with the NGC architechture. Everything that machine could do with only 24 MB of MoSys 1T-SRAM main memory. Yet in many cases, it could outperform the other 2 because of a great architecture. As you say, I love DF, but 'we built this PC to simulate console harware X': no thank you. Not even close to being fair.

I think it depends on whether it's CPU bottlenecked or not. The DF video implies that it might be, but that's just speculation on their part based on a not-100%-reliable simulation of the switch version they were using for testing.

Thoraxes

You know, at first I thought 30FPS would be a dealbreaker, but now that i'm home from work and watching some of the preview videos (after checking out the DF analysis), it actually looks way better than the mental image I had of what it was going to look like.

Seriously looks smooth as...hell.

spannicus

I wouldnt care if the framerate was 20fps. Gimmie that shit! Half you folks played the last guardian and loved it even with the shitty framerate.

nordique

Well said

Pretty disgusting that some people are shitting on this port for being 30 fps on a lower spec machine instead of being amazed by the fact that it's Doom portable with such a great graphic fidelity and stable performance.

But we all know the Tegra specs and other high end mobile solutions. Why should people be amazed about it? A game which can only run with a low frame rate is still an inferior product to all the other available solutions in that regard.

But we all know the Tegra specs and other high end mobile solutions. Why should people be amazed about it? A game which can only run with a low frame rate is still an inferior product to all the other available solutions in that regard.

Other versions run at 0 fps in portable mode, so this could actually be the superior product ;P

Because people have never played a game this big, beautiful and ambitious on a portable device. We know mobile tech is powerful, but there's never been anything on the level of DOOM 2016 on mobile devices, so to see it is impressive I would imagine.

Prior to this, some posters really downplayed Switch's graphical potential. They did not expect a decent port of Doom to be possible. While compromises are made, this is bit higher than the expectation of, "zero chance of happening" or "it can't run."

Honestly, the people who claimed that no third party devs will feel that it's worth the effort to port down to the Switch are the ones that need to eat crow after these last few weeks.

HeroR

Prior to this, some posters really downplayed Switch's graphical potential. They did not expect a decent port of Doom to be possible. While compromises are made, this is bit higher than the expectation of, "zero chance of happening" or "it can't run."

Honestly, the people who claimed that no third party devs will feel that it's worth the effort to port down to the Switch are the ones that need to eat crow after these last few weeks.

You can't say 'eat crow' without the proper picture.

eating-crow.jpg

If this wasn’t a port made by a small team? but made ground up ( like first party Nintendo games) there’s no question about it, it would look and perform much better. /s states obvious.

I’m really impressed with Mario’s Odyssey for example.

To understand the "Doom = 60 fps", you have to understand the culture Id Software circa Carmack built on that benchmark.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013062...tty-at-60fps-than-graphics-as-the-only-thing/
Yet, working on id Tech 5 and upcoming game RAGE has brought him to the conclusion that the pursuit of stunning graphics for the sake of it is not the path to great gameplay: ”I quickly reached the decision, the realization, that rather than trying to make ‘pretty damn good plus one' pictures on there, I'd rather try and make pretty damn good pictures at 60 frames per second, and that's a good example of not pushing graphics as the only thing," he told IndustryGamers.

Carmack also preferred a locked framerate to a variable one.
unless you can maintain 60fps almost all the time, you are better off locking at 30 instead of dropping all the time. 60 is hard.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/carmack-next-gen-games-will-still-target-30-fps/0113660
ID Software games such as Rage and the Call of Duty series both hit up to 60 fps, but many titles in the current generation fall short such as the likes of Battlefield 3, which runs at 30 fps on consoles.

”Unfortunately, I can pretty much guarantee that a lot of next gen games will still target 30 fps," said Carmack.

Carmack even showed off Rage running on an iPhone back during QuakeCon 2010... in 60 fps of course.

This focus on framerate was important in many of id's games in the previous generation. It became a part of the fanbase's general culture. This carried forward even after Carmack left id. That's was the framerate was something Doom 2016's devs.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-dev-we-want-to-be-the-best-looking-game-out-t/1100-6429178/
"When you're developing, you make thousands of decisions that have an impact on performance or visual fidelity," he told us. "We've always been at the forefront of saying we want our games to run as fast as possible at the highest resolution possible. So for us, that goal is 1080p and 60 FPS. Along with that goal, the mantra of our technology team is that we want to be the best-looking game out there at 60 FPS and 1080p. So you draw that line in the sand."

"For us it isn't just a lofty technical goal," he explained. "We really do think it's important to the feel of the game, it's important to the way our combat feels and our movement feels. It's got to be fast, it's got to be fluid, and it's all based on that. It really is a gameplay goal first and foremost. You do make decisions here or there. Ultimately I don't think you can ever expect most consumers to really nitpick."

"If you do your best to give them a very consistent experience and a very high-quality experience, which for us is a fast, fluid 60 FPS, I think that's the most important thing. It's when you cut corners and you end up with a game that doesn't feel that good, and it's slow, and it's just a hodgepodge of a lack of focus throughout, that's when things start going awry. I think we'll hit all of our goals."

Like, I'm trying to get you to understand, 60 fps has been a selling point for id Software. It's been a thing they themselves have made a very big deal.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-tech-interview
Digital Foundry: When we look at the history of Doom, and of id software, we see a phenomenal heritage of technological excellence. What were the objectives for idTech6 and are you happy with the final results?

Robert A Duffy: The original objectives were very simple; we wanted best-in-class visuals at 60fps and the best player movement and feel for a shooter. There is obviously a whole list of smaller objectives that form the foundations of achieving those goals, but as primary consumer facing technology goals, those were it. We are very happy with the final results but we are continuing the push with console updates, Vulkan support for PC, and a host of other updates geared towards the community.

Digital Foundry: Can we get some idea of the timelines on idTech6 - did it essentially evolve in parallel with Doom development, across both the final game and the cancelled Doom 4? Or did you revamp the underlying tech completely when you targeted 60fps?

Robert A Duffy: As we were prototyping Doom gameplay and the environments started to take form, it was clear we needed to take the technology in a different direction to achieve the visual fidelity we felt a modern Doom game warranted. 60fps was always the target for the game but as we started adding full dynamic lighting, shadows, and other features the performance target became a main focus of the engineering team. The short answer is a lot changed but not everything.

https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/721238218113351680
Happy that we announced FPS unlock officially - code team been working hard on eradicating that for #PCMASTERRACE <3

It was a stated goal on their official blog.
With the debut of a new DOOM comes a new engine: idTech 6. So what can players expect from idTech 6? ”We want players to wonder how DOOM and idTech 6 games can be so visually stunning at 60 frames-per-second at 1080p on all platforms, when other titles cannot even achieve a similar look at 30 frames-per-second," says Lead Project Programmer Billy Khan. ”Our goal is to be the best-looking game at 1080p at 60fps."

So if you're wondering why some folks are dipping, some of that is they prefer those higher (or locked) frame rates. But there's also the folks that have been told, for a very long time, that id Software games are 60 fps. That's the selling point, that's the key. And whether it actually bothers them, or they believe it does, that's why they're passing on the concept of the experience.

It's probably better to save your disgust for something more worthwhile. As I noted above, Carmack got Rage running at 60 fps on iPhone with heavy caveats in 2010.

A port is always doable, it's just a matter of what cuts a developer or publisher want to make to the experience to fit it on a different platform. What becomes a problem is the insistence that a dev or publisher do so. Some want to reach as many platforms as possible. Some developers, like id Software usually (which is likely why Panic Button is doing most of the heavy lifting on this), aim for higher spec systems and platforms. That's what they do. Especially in the case of some PC developers, the graphical presentation at those levels is a part of their vision for the title.

What becomes an annoyance - note, not an actual problem - is that the decision not to make those cuts to your title is presented as wrongdoing and malfeasance. Ubisoft has a number of games on the Switch already, but the Assassin's Creed team deciding not to try and cram Origins onto the Switch isn't them being bad developers. They have completely valid reasons not to port to that platform, one of them being that their vision of the game leans on a graphically detailed open world.

The PSP, Vita, and 3DS have played host to some interesting ports of graphically-intensive games, as have many mobile devices like iOS/Android tablets. Anything can fit on the Switch, but it's a matter of A) if developers want to make those cuts and B) if fans are willing to stomach those compromises to buy the projects. Those are things publishers take into account in deciding to do a port.

c0de

You mean like every multiplatform console game being an inferior product compared to PC?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

Great post

You know, at first I thought 30FPS would be a dealbreaker, but now that i'm home from work and watching some of the preview videos (after checking out the DF analysis), it actually looks way better than the mental image I had of what it was going to look like.

Seriously looks smooth as...hell.
Depending on how CPU bound it is, there may well be a possibility that there's a "performance" mode when docked, at the same resolution only at 60HZ? The only drop I saw in the video in portable mode happened during a GPU intensive moment.
And, TBH, 30FPS with good motion blur and low latency is fine on a small screen.
The angular difference between frames is lower on the small screen, which makes it much easier in the eyes. Kind of like MGS Peace Walker being 20FPS and people not noticing because the screen was small.

Vertti

I bought a gaming pc so I can play most of my games in solid 60 fps.

But ffs let's not pretend that there isn't plenty of amazing games that run sub 60. BotW which so many of you praise to the death isn't even solid 30 fps.

I hate the 60 fps elitism. It's one of the topics I could easily live without.

Hats off to Doom Switch version. This is a really good sign that there is more to come. Just don't expect every AAA game releasing on Switch.

I bought a gaming pc so I can play most of my games in solid 60 fps.

But ffs let's not pretend that there isn't plenty of amazing games that run sub 60. BotW which so many of you praise to the death isn't even solid 30 fps.

I hate the 60 fps elitism. It's one of the topics I could easily live without.

Hats off to Doom Switch version. This is a really good sign that there is more to come. Just don't expect every AAA game releasing on Switch.
Botw and doom are two different things. Fps and fighting games are optimal at 60 fps. Thats why any game from those genres that are even remotely competitive push for 60 fps. Even uncharted online is 60fps. So is gow4.

Top Bottom