• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

What's the issue with OLEDs in gaming mode? I understand they were patched to fix input lag, but is something off with the colors? And if so, are they going to patch it?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What's the issue with OLEDs in gaming mode? I understand they were patched to fix input lag, but is something off with the colors? And if so, are they going to patch it?

In game mode for Non-HDR it gets locked in the Wide color option.
Most just don't use gaming mode.

Not an issue with the new hdr-game mode.

julrik

Can't you just adjust the colour temperature to compensate for the oversaturation? I have set mine way different to the default and it's pretty close to ISF mode imo. I don't have the number as I'm away from the set but seem to recall massively swinging the bar to the left of the screen reduces saturation.
That won't really compensate, though. I already have mine at W43/44. If anything, one can compensate by decreasing colour to 45/46, but that shouldn't really be necessary in the first place.. I'd rather LG could just make colour gamut and white balance controls available to us.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I both can't wait and don't want to see how Sony prices their upcoming sets, especially those OLED beauties.

Wollan

It was in the 50-60ms range if memory serves.
That's not the end of the world imo (considering the very best TV's are just below 20ms) unless you spend a lot of time in multiplayer.

edit:
Before patch: 4k @ 60Hz @ HDR: 38.2ms - 54.5ms (why does it vary?)
After patch: 4k @ 60Hz @ HDR 28.5ms

J-Rzez

That's why I almost don't want to see them with the Sony premium

Warranted for their processing.

But they will be less than their own Z9, and remember LG oled models vary from $3000-8000 now in 65". I'm still guessing $4000-4500. Z9 slots in 5000-5500 now.

is there a link to recommend settings for a e6 for gaming?

also - I don't appear to have a hdr game mode available even though I am on the latest firmware - 4.30.15

I can start an HDR game on my ps4 pro like the last of us, and HDR kicks in. But I only have 3 options available and none of them are HDR game..... am I doing something wrong here?

holygeesus

Banned

also - I don't appear to have a hdr game mode available even though I am on the latest firmware - 4.30.15

I can start an HDR game on my ps4 pro like the last of us, and HDR kicks in. But I only have 3 options available and none of them are HDR game..... am I doing something wrong here?

That firmware doesn't have HDR Game mode yet.

Geneijin

If your TV doesn't automatically update to the latest, you'll have to do it manually.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED55E6P

Wollan

They attempted delivery of my LG OLED55B6V yesterday. I was out for five minutes just a street down buying myself lunch (working from home due to delivery). Somehow the carrier couldn't figure out how to dial the country code prior to my mobile number ('+123' -> '00 123') and they just left. They have rescheduled delivery for tomorrow.
Feel like a disappointed child at Christmas. ;)

Kyoufu

But....this really sucks?

So you're either stuck with wildly inaccurate colours or a 50-60ms input lag?

The input lag on ISF modes doesn't feel much higher than Game mode to me so even if Game mode wasn't locked to Wide I'd still use ISF.

Playing Nioh and no problem with any latency.

The input lag on ISF modes doesn't feel much higher than Game mode to me so even if Game mode wasn't locked to Wide I'd still use ISF.

Playing Nioh and no problem with any latency.

Well, 50ms is pushing it for some genres and it just seems so unnecessary.

It should be relatively easy for LG engineers not to lock to wide colour...? There's no chance they'll fix this anytime soon, either.

holygeesus

Banned
I don't think being set to wide is that big a deal anyway. Not unless watching films or whatever on your console. Just put it to whatever looks good for games. There is no standard such as Rec. 709 for gaming.

laxu

It should be relatively easy for LG engineers not to lock to wide colour...? There's no chance they'll fix this anytime soon, either.

I somehow feel like TV software developers are pretty terrible. Every TV settings UI I have operated in the last 10 years has been unbelievably shit to work with and nearly every set has some issues that only get fixed by the next year's model if even then.

We could really use an open source TV firmware and UI so people could patch in all kinds of support and fix issues. Of course this is not lucrative for TV manufacturers...

Kyoufu

Well, 50ms is pushing it for some genres and it just seems so unnecessary.

I honestly had no problem playing Destiny on ISF, but I understand this differs for everyone.

The only time I found input lag to be unbearable was pre-patch HDR for games. 68ms was noticeably bad.

Has anyone asked LG's customer reps why Game mode is locked to Wide?

I've sent an e-mail to LG yesterday regarding the wide color gamut and if they intend to fix it. Got a reply this morning (in German though):

Sehr geehrter LG Kunde,

herzlichen Dank, dass Sie mit LG Electronics Deutschland GmbH Kontakt aufgenommen haben.

Wir geben dies gerne weiter, aktuell ist es jedoch nicht moeglich diese Werte zu aktivieren. Wann und ob ein Update in diesem Bereich erscheinen wird, koennen wir aktuell jedoch nicht mitteilen.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Basically they just confirm that it is not possible to change the value at the moment and that they don't have any information pertaining to an update/fix. They will forward the problem though.
If you are also bothered by this please let LG know.

I've sent an e-mail to LG yesterday regarding the wide color gamut and if they intend to fix it. Got a reply this morning (in German though):

Basically they just confirm that it is not possible to change the value at the moment and that they don't have any information pertaining to an update/fix. They will forward the problem though.
If you are also bothered by this please let LG know.

Heh, what a coincidence!

In all honesty though, this sounds like the standard 'we appreciate your concern but this will never be fixed ever' response.
I don't think being set to wide is that big a deal anyway. Not unless watching films or whatever on your console. Just put it to whatever looks good for games. There is no standard such as Rec. 709 for gaming.

That's not really true. It skews the colours in such a way that it made someone post ITT to ask what's wrong with the colours in game mode. It's not insignificant.

By the way I love that you phrased your problem in a Seinfeld way. 'What's the deal with OLEDs in gaming mode?'

sobaka770

Banned
But....this really sucks?

So you're either stuck with wildly inaccurate colours or a 50-60ms input lag?

I did some testing on my TV yesterday and couldn't notice any difference at all between the lag in game mode vs calibrated ISF (turned all assists and smoothing off). On my KS8000 it was obvious, so if colors on game mode bother you, at least give it a try.

holygeesus

Banned
That's not really true. It skews the colours in such a way that it made someone post ITT to ask what's wrong with the colours in game mode. It's not insignificant.

What I mean is, if you calibrate your ISF modes for Blu-ray, TV etc to the set standard, that said standard doesn't apply to games, so of course the colours are going to look different in Game mode. You will notice it of course, but as long as green looks green, red looks red etc, then it's not as big a deal as it would be for watching films. Unless you are doing colour sensitive work on these TVs, like graphic design etc (which any pro wouldn't be) then just set it to what looks good to your eye.

I can get it damn close to ISF regular gamut anyway here, by adjusting colour temperature and gamma etc. It just takes experimenting with.

Wollan

Regarding LG B6 calibrations, I will only have a PS4 Pro connected. I have no TV channels/cable, no other boxes or consoles, the only use case for using built-in TV apps for me (Netflix & Amazon Prime) is if the PS4 apps don't offer 4K/HDR (do anyone know if these has been updated?).

Question 1: Will the TV shift between ISF Dark (Night) mode, ISF Bright (Day) mode, HDR & Dolby Vision modes automatically?

Question 2: Will the TV take use of any other mode besides the one in Question 1?

Question 3: Will I be able to adjust the HDR & Dolby Vision modes without sending the appropriate signal during the calibration process (if I'm just going to enter some popular calibration settings quickly) ?

Question 4: Some TV's have variable support across their HDMI ports. If I'm only using one HDMI port on my LG B6 which one should I use (or are all the same) ?

I'm aiming to apply the AVForum settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwFi3E1K0g

BumRush

Warranted for their processing.

But they will be less than their own Z9, and remember LG oled models vary from $3000-8000 now in 65". I'm still guessing $4000-4500. Z9 slots in 5000-5500 now.

How do you know they'll be below Z9 levels? I believe Sony themselves said to expect similar prices.

holygeesus

Banned
Regarding LG B6 calibrations, I will only have a PS4 Pro connected. I have no TV channels/cable, no other boxes or consoles, the only use case for using built-in TV apps for me (Netflix & Amazon Prime) is if the PS4 apps don't offer 4K/HDR (do anyone know if these has been updated?).

Question 1: Will the TV shift between ISF Dark (Night) mode, ISF Bright (Day) mode, HDR & Dolby Vision modes automatically?

Question 2: Will the TV take use of any other mode besides the one in Question 1?

Question 3: Will I be able to adjust the HDR & Dolby Vision modes without sending the appropriate signal during the calibration process (if I'm just going to enter some popular calibration settings quickly) ?

Question 4: Some TV's have variable support across their HDMI ports. If I'm only using one HDMI port on my LG B6 which one should I use (or are all the same) ?

I'm aiming to apply the AVForum settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwFi3E1K0g

Each input can be adjusted individually, so you can set ISF Dark, for HDMI 1 and Game for HDMI 2 etc and they will stick. If you are using your PS4 for everything, the picture mode will only change from what you set it to, when HDR material is detected, which has it's own specific settings. You will need to feed the set an HDR signal to access those settings unfortunately.

All the HDMI ports are the same on the B6 (all have Deep Colour support unlike the G6 bizarrely)

Do new TV's these days have built-in digital tuners or do you still need to buy a separate antenna if you want over-the-air digital channels? I last bought a TV in 2008 when the tuners mostly were not built-in.

Damn. TVsuperstore apparently has the 55" B6 priced at 1200 and 65" at 1300. I hear they're not legit, but can be used for credit card price protection. If only the price protection limit wasn't $500. I'd be all over a 65" for that price.

LeleSocho

Banned
Do new TV's these days have built-in digital tuners or do you still need to buy a separate antenna if you want over-the-air digital channels? I last bought a TV in 2008 when the tuners mostly were not built-in.

2008? Are you sure it wasn't 2006? It's been a decade since all new tv had digital tuners.

Weevilone

Most do, but I know some Vizio do not. I'm a little confused though, as you still need an antenna to attach to the tuner.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
C4MvSPOVYAA9TAQ.jpg:large

Sony has a 16k TV on display at their HQ.

https://twitter.com/MolaramLives/status/829558768069259265

dallow_bg

nods at old men

All TVs have digital tuners built in now.
You still need an antenna to grab the digital OTA signal though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What are the designations for the new models?

The new technology for 2017 is QLED as a subtle take on OLED for those who don't notice the letter difference. And they are Q7, Q8 and so forth. Not sure if there will be a separate line of SUHD TVs for 2017 to replce the K8000, 9000...

Same here. I still very much doubt the Rtings numbers.

I was especially worried about their PC 4K 4:4:4 numbers, but I've found with a high-speed camera that reality is much closer to 40ms, as long as "adjust desktop size and position" is set to "no scaling", and "perform scaling on" is set to "display" on Nvidia Control Panel. GPU scaling combined with "Aspect ratio" adds some considerable lag, so who knows what they were using at the time of their testing. At any rate, the input lag on the B6 across various modes doesn't bother me one bit.

The new technology for 2017 is QLED as a subtle take on OLED for those who don't notice the letter difference. And they are Q7, Q8 and so forth. Not sure if there will be a separate line of SUHD TVs for 2017 to replce the K8000, 9000...

Then I'm sadly going to have to wait for another sale. 900 for the 49 inch is something I shouldn't have passed up earlier. Goddamnit...

Top Bottom