• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Midas

Are you guys able to stream 4K content to your LG OLED over wifi from a computer with Plex or anything like that? It's just choppy for me, probably buffering like my favorite; Real Player.

Wollan

o_O

Playing some 4K Dolby Vision demo videos on my (just received) LG B6.
I haven't calibrated it yet but this looks amazing...

Dave_6

o_O

Playing some 4K Dolby Vision demo videos on my (just received) LG B6.
I haven't calibrated it yet but this looks amazing...

I've had mine for 2 weeks as of today and I'm still amazed every time I watch it. Which demos were you watching?

2008? Are you sure it wasn't 2006? It's been a decade since all new tv had digital tuners.

Most do, but I know some Vizio do not. I'm a little confused though, as you still need an antenna to attach to the tuner.

All TVs have digital tuners built in now.
You still need an antenna to grab the digital OTA signal though.

Thanks. Y'all are right, I do believe my TV has it built in but I need the antenna to enable. Building a new space for a TV at home in a different room than my usual TV room and I am not going to string cable coax to it. Just going to use it for streaming. If I want OTA digital I will just hang an antenna behind the TV since they are flat.

C4MvSPOVYAA9TAQ.jpg:large

Sony has a 16k TV on display at their HQ.

https://twitter.com/MolaramLives/status/829558768069259265

Why do you post my gaming setup here?

Off to look at TVs, finally my birthday! Lets hope my Dad sees value of the OLED over the KS7000...because convincing him an extra £600 is a good investment will be a nightmare, he'll just talk me down haha. He'd find it criminal to spend the money, even if i'm spending it!

Off to look at TVs, finally my birthday! Lets hope my Dad sees value of the OLED over the KS7000...because convincing him an extra £600 is a good investment will be a nightmare, he'll just talk me down haha. He'd find it criminal to spend the money, even if i'm spending it!

Tell him to use a Discover card for price protection as you can drop the price $500 by matching it with a shady website.

Please, either you or someone else on here, please post it when it shows up next. Thanks for the info.

The only downside is Samsung's quality control and customer support are both garbage. It's a roll of the dice for sure.

Wollan

I've had mine for 2 weeks as of today and I'm still amazed every time I watch it. Which demos were you watching?
Dolby Vision trailer, LG HDR Chess playing demo, Sony outdoors video, TravelPX thing and LG Colors of Journey HDR (last might be my favorite, though probably because I know the city Bergen/Norway).
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

I have it calibrated now (using AVForum guide) but I increased the brightness again though for the ISF modes from their recommendations, found it a bit dim (OLED led from 28 to 40 in ISF Dark Room, 48 to 60 in ISF Bright Room).

Dave_6

Dolby Vision trailer, LG HDR Chess playing demo, Sony outdoors video, TravelPX thing and LG Colors of Journey HDR (last might be my favorite, though probably because I know the city Bergen/Norway).
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

I have it calibrated now (using AVForum guide) but I increased the brightness again though for the ISF modes from their recommendations, found it a bit dim (OLED led from 28 to 40 in ISF Dark Room, 48 to 60 in ISF Bright Room).

I've only downloaded the chess demo and it's amazing. I need to check out those other ones too then.

I'm using the settings they talked about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwFi3E1K0g&t=337s

Granted I can get my living room pitch black at night so I've been pleased with these settings so far.

Dave_6

I was watching Stranger Things again last night and when Eleven is in the under world, she was literally the only thing I could see. Amazing!

Wollan

My current apartment has low bandwidth (18MBp/s). I saw Stranger Things listed in the 'Ultra HD 4K' category on Netflix. But I don't see any 'HDR' or 'Dolby Vision' tags for it when browsing past it. Is higher bandwidth needed?

Dave_6

My current apartment has a low bandwidth (18MBp/s). I saw Stranger Things listed in the 'Ultra HD 4K' category on Netflix. But I don't see any 'HDR' or 'Dolby Vision' tags for it when browsing past it. Is higher bandwidth needed?

It's only in 4K, no HDR at least of yet. I believe you need around ~25 MBp/s to stream 4K content but that may only be for the Youtube app. Mine is up around 60 to 70 on average so I can't really tell you for sure.

Omlagus

For any interested in the 2017 Sony LCD's (note: not the OLED) they've released the US prices. March availability. Hope we don't get too slaughtered on the Canadian exchange, though I know we will.

XBR-75X940E, 75” class (74.5” diagonal), $7,499.99 MSRP
XBR-65X930E, 65” class (64.5” diagonal), $3,999.99 MSRP
XBR-55X930E, 55” class (54.6” diagonal), $3,299.99 MSRP
XBR-75X900E, 75” class (74.5” diagonal), $5,999.99 MSRP
XBR-65X900E, 65” class (64.5” diagonal), $3,299.99 MSRP
XBR-55X900E, 55” class (48.5” diagonal), $2,399.99 MSRP
XBR-49X900E, 49” class (48.5” diagonal), $1,699.99 MSRP
XBR-75X850E, 75” class (74.5” diagonal), $4,999.99 MSRP
XBR-65X850E, 65” class (64.5” diagonal), $2,499.99 MSRP
XBR-55X800E, 55” class (54.6” diagonal), $1,899.99 MSRP
XBR-49X800E, 49” class (48.5” diagonal), $1,099.99 MSRP
XBR-43X800E, 43” class (42.5” diagonal), $999.99 MSRP

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-electronics-announces-pricing-and-availability-details-on-new-premium-4k-hdr-ultra-hd-tvs/

NYR

My current apartment has low bandwidth (18MBp/s). I saw Stranger Things listed in the 'Ultra HD 4K' category on Netflix. But I don't see any 'HDR' or 'Dolby Vision' tags for it when browsing past it. Is higher bandwidth needed?
There is almost no DV or HDR content on Netflix, just a handful of titles like Marco Polo and Chefs Table France.

Tell him to use a Discover card for price protection as you can drop the price $500 by matching it with a shady website.

The only downside is Samsung's quality control and customer support are both garbage. It's a roll of the dice for sure.

I mean, I've been wanting the KS8000 badly, but if it Sony X800D comes on sale next and the Samsung doesn't, would I be perfectly happy with the Sony?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Free sky Q multiroom sub for a year is literally worth £600 and lets you watch sky in two rooms and stream recordings to your phone/tablet

Anarion07

Netflix will show you all hdr content if you search for HDR or dolby vision

Hammer24

Banned

You just need to be aware, that all online streams available in 4K only give a bandwith with picture quality of a 1080p BR.
For the full experience you need a 4K BR disc player.

Hammer24

Banned
I.e., go buy an Xbox One S. Most affordable and practical 4K bluray player.

I tend to agree. A movie afficionado might want to go for the Oppo player, but I am personally absolutely happy with the playback quality on Xbox. Good thing MS regularly updates the player software.

You just need to be aware, that all online streams available in 4K only give a bandwith with picture quality of a 1080p BR.
For the full experience you need a 4K BR disc player.

Glad you said it, I was just about to chime in.

Netflix & YouTube '4K' are garbage. 1080p BR uses a higher bitrate and as quoted, for a full experience grab a UHD Bluray.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Glad you said it, I was just about to chime in.

Netflix & YouTube '4K' are garbage. 1080p BR uses a higher bitrate and as quoted, for a full experience grab a UHD Bluray.

They're still the best option for your screen in terms of streaming. I wish there was an option to use the 4k streams on 1080p TVs too..

The Netflix originals in 4K especially those with HDR are quite good for streaming and a great value. I really don't get why people need to call it 'garbage' to prove a point.

Daredevil 4K absolutely looks better than many a BD I have when you factor in HDR.

Hammer24

Banned
Gross, curved :/ Do these same types of deals pop up for the B6?

Have you ever seen said TV in person? I'm probably biased, as I have a C6, but the curve is very shallow, and the C6 has the better SoC compared to the B6. If I were you, I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat.

The Netflix originals in 4K especially those with HDR are quite good for streaming and a great value. I really don't get why people need to call it 'garbage' to prove a point.

Daredevil 4K absolutely looks better than many a BD I have when you factor in HDR.

I agree, calling it garbage is hyperbole. But there is a world of difference between a 4K stream and 4K BR.

finalflame

Gold Member
Have you ever seen said TV in person? I'm probably biased, as I have a C6, but the curve is very shallow, and the C6 has the better SoC compared to the B6. If I were you, I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat.

Hmmm I want to say I have, but I don't really recall if I've seen this particular curved set in person, I just have a blanket dislike against anything curved.

I'll take a look at it at a local BB to reconsider, however. I'm not immediately looking to jump on an OLED, as I currently have a 65" KS8000, but I might be moving/downsizing (1br -> Studio) soon and a 55" might be a better fit for my new space, so I'm keeping my options open.

holygeesus

Banned
Yep, definitely wouldn't argue against that.

It tends to vary. The BD of Narcos looks better than the Netflix stream but I wouldn't call it garbage either. You have to consider that Netflix 's 4K streams only run to 4GB per hour so considering most films only run on average 7GB they are being compressed to hell, so of course they can't compete with UHD discs!

Kyoufu

Are you guys able to stream 4K content to your LG OLED over wifi from a computer with Plex or anything like that? It's just choppy for me, probably buffering like my favorite; Real Player.

I've had some days where it's just constantly buffering, but most of the time it's totally fine and buffer-free.

Hammer24

Banned
Hmmm I want to say I have, but I don't really recall if I've seen this particular curved set in person, I just have a blanket dislike against anything curved.

I'll take a look at it at a local BB to reconsider, however. I'm not immediately looking to jump on an OLED, as I currently have a 65" KS8000, but I might be moving/downsizing (1br -> Studio) soon and a 55" might be a better fit for my new space, so I'm keeping my options open.

Do it, have a look at it. It's probably the shallowest curve of all models available.

Top Bottom