• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Ocho

So the LG B6P is $2,297.00 at Amazon. Should I wait for a cheaper deal? Looks like some people got this set crazy cheap if I'm not mistaken.

Bog

Junior Ace
Is there anything against running a single optical cable from my B6 to my receiver rather than running one from the PS4 Pro to the receiver, one from the DVR to the receiver, etc.?

holygeesus

Banned
Is there anything against running a single optical cable from my B6 to my receiver rather than running one from the PS4 Pro to the receiver, one from the DVR to the receiver, etc.?

I don't *think* you can get 7.1 audio that way but regular 5.1 works fine as it's how I work mine.

Theonik

Optical in the frequency it is used in most devices can only do up to 2ch lpcm 96khz 24 bit or bitstream 6ch DD or DTS. Lossless isn't supported in that mode.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I got my $500 rewind from Citi, thanks to those that suggested it. $500 dollar discount on this TV made it immensely easier to swallow the cost.

Also, guh, to people that vehemently hate 3D. It's okay to not like the feature, but do you have to rub your opinion in the faces of people that do? Does me liking the fact that my TV has it, or my collection of 3D movies and games, make you less right in your mind?

I was just in a chatroom I frequent and I asked a question, in case anybody knew the answer, about doing 3D Vision on your TV hooked through your desktop. 90% of the responses I got were along the lines of, 3D sucks, 3D is a gimmick I'm glad to see die, 3D is trash, 3D is pointless and useless, etc. I even got accused of trying to "start shit" because 3D is such crap that I must have been baiting by just asking about it and then having the audacity to, in response, make a couple casual comments in vague defense of it.

At least people here understand that if you like it you like it, and if you don't you don't, and that's fine. And just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's a horrible feature that shouldn't exist, or anybody that likes it is stupid, you just don't prefer it.

Going through the TV adds a little bit of audio lag. If you play rhythm games you should go directly from the PS4 to the receiver. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Make sure to get Premium Certified cables. Don't assume because they say 18Gbps and they are expensive that they will work. Cheap Monoprice are fine.

I watch a lot of the AV forums and cable problems are real with UHD content, and people never want to admit it. They blame the source, the AVR, etc.

I see. Thanks. Would something like these AudioQuest Pearl cables be sufficient for 4K/60 gaming and movie watching then? They are not too overly expensive and it seems like people are saying these actually improve picture quality which I am having a hard time believing.

Pearl_HDMI_300x300_main.jpg

http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/pearl

Not sure if this helps, but to my knowledge, you cannot get lossless audio(DTS X, Dolby Atmos, DTS HD, etc) with an optical cable and I think you are only able to get 5.1 audio as opposed to 7.1. Only HDMI is capable of that. Honestly though, even though optical cable audio is not on par with those sound formats I listed, it still sounds quite good with Dolby Digital and DTS options though.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am starting to get into the market for an HDR capable TV and was wondering how big of a jump the difference in HDR quality is from say, the XBR850D to the XBR930D/KS8000/B6. Is it a huge difference?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I see. Thanks. Would something like these AudioQuest Pearl cables be sufficient for 4K/60 gaming and movie watching then? They are not too overly expensive and it seems like people are saying these actually improve picture quality which I am having a hard time believing.

http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Pearl_HDMI_300x300_main.jpg[img]

[url]http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/pearl[/url][/QUOTE]

Overkill.
As he stated. Monoprice is fine.

Weevilone

http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/pearl

This is the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Expensive - Check
Advertised as 18Gbps - Check
Certified - Nope

There was a guy having problems with UHD on AVS just a couple of days ago, using the Carbon version of these. Still waiting for his Monoprice cables to arrive to see if it resolves. Maybe they are ok.. but why not buy cheaper cables that are tested by a third party?

Weevilone

That may be but mine work too. There's two of us which is as good as a fact as GAF gets worked up about normally!

My second reason is that Amazon don't usually fuss about returns on their own, low value, products so return them easily if they don't work for you.

My perspective is that they might work for the content or sources that you have today, but the flaw can reveal itself later. That seems to be the trend, and I see people fret about it every day. That's why I brought it up, just as a courtesy. It isn't wirth the potential frustration IMO.

Regarding price, I just looked up the certified Monoprice 6' and it is $3.59. The same length Amazon Basics is $6.99.

Edit: Even when ordering Monoprice. Look for the certification logo. Not everything they make is certified, so don't save a dollar by dodging it. Regarding Amazon, I get that people love them. I'll stop, just wanted to offer advice based on what I've been seeing lately.

holygeesus

Banned
You may have had success with them, but I do not believe they are certified either.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

Certification isn't essential. You are paying a premium for no reason. If Amazon's cables fail, they have a year warranty anyway. As I say, absolutely zero problems here, and that's pushing 3840x2160p at full 4:4:4 on my PC. HDR and Dolby Vision material are also fine.

As to pricing. I *think* Monoprice stuff is cheaper over there in the US but Amazon's HDMI cables worked out cheaper last time I checked here. Either way, there is no point paying extra for certified cables, when the non-certified cables come with a warranty anyway.

NYR

Certification isn't essential. You are paying a premium for no reason.
Not quite. Certification guarantees the cable works at 18Gbps and can handle the increased bandwidth of 4K@60 video streams. I personally have found more consistent performance via a monoprice certified cable than a normal cheap cable from amazon or monoprice.

The advent of HDMI meant "knock-off" cables has led to sub-standard quality cables as they are produced at the lowest cost possible. Not to say all cables are bad, but there are known issues with super-cheap HDMI cables.

phanphare

Banned
posted in that $250 tv thread but I'll post here too

so I've got a question if anyone has any advice

I checked on craiglist and saw someone selling a 58" Samsung plasma tv for $400. I think it's the PN58B550 model. does anyone know anything about these and if this would be a good tv to pick up? I researched a bit online and it seems like these models can be hit or miss and that the buzzing can vary. also how viable is a plasma tv if the room it'll be in will get some natural light during the morning and afternoon? all the shades and everything will be closed but the light does get through.

thanks

NOKYARD

Certification isn't essential. You are paying a premium for no reason. If Amazon's cables fail, they have a year warranty anyway. As I say, absolutely zero problems here, and that's pushing 3840x2160p at full 4:4:4 on my PC. HDR and Dolby Vision material are also fine.

As to pricing. I *think* Monoprice stuff is cheaper over there in the US but Amazon's HDMI cables worked out cheaper last time I checked here. Either way, there is no point paying extra for certified cables, when the non-certified cables come with a warranty anyway.

Certified cables are $3.60. How much cheaper do you need to go?

Weevilone

That's the thing you are paying either no, or very little premium. I don't see how it's "no reason" when you are buying an item certified to do what you need, rather than a wink-wink from the manufacturer only. The reason I posted what I did is that I see people using other cables flail around with a new piece of gear, or an UHD disk that they've swapped with the vendor already, blaming a new player or other source device, blaming their AVR, opening trouble tickets, etc.. It can't be their cables because they've always worked. After people pound it into their heads, they swap cables and it's all fine.

Anyways, there are certainly non-certified cables that will work, at least in some situations, and others that will work all the time. My perspective is that it's not worth the hassle to buy them. Your perspective is different. Ok.

Basically half the price of the non-certified Amazon cables.

You can imagine that this is a really different discussion when someone has a wall full of $250 HDMI cables that they were promised would make everything look and sound better, but that can't pass the appropriate bandwidth.

holygeesus

Banned

We aren't all in the US! As I say, monoprice stuff is almost non-existent over here (UK)

Here we do pay a premium for true certified cables. Given the Amazon Basics work perfectly fine, there really isn't a need to pay double the price. Sure, if I could get certified cables for the same price I would, but I have every confidence in those that are connected to every device in my set-up, that have been working for nigh on a year, without skipping a beat.

Somebody is selling multiple refurbished 65" B6s via Amazon for $615 + $42 shipping. Seems way too good to be true, even for a refurb. But I'm considering taking a chance simply because Amazon will allow me to return it. Is this crazy talk?

They only have 2 reviews, but 100% positive feedback. I want to believe this is somehow real, but seems way too ridiculous.

finalflame

Gold Member
Somebody is selling multiple refurbished 65" B6s via Amazon for $615 + $42 shipping. Seems way too good to be true, even for a refurb. But I'm considering taking a chance simply because Amazon will allow me to return it. Is this crazy talk?

They only have 2 reviews, but 100% positive feedback. I want to believe this is somehow real, but seems way too ridiculous.

There's a < 0% chance this is legit.

finalflame

Gold Member
Haha yeah, I figured that much. Was thinking maybe Amazon would honor the deal since it's through their site, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If it was "Fulfilled by Amazon", then you'd be pretty guaranteed to get the item described for the price. But as it stands, I think this seller is just trying to go for a quick scam.

New 2017 launch prices

-OLED55C7P $3,499

-OLED65C7P $4,999

-OLED55E7P $4,499

-OLED65E7P $5,999

-OLED77G7P $16,999

Same price for B7s as C7s?

The LG OLED E7 are now listed on Best Buy's site. Whereas the C7 had delivery listed "as soon as 3/9/17" (March 9), no delivery date is given for the E7 series.

55 inch - $4500: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5777500.p?skuId=5777500
65 inch - $6000: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5772800.p?skuId=5772800

It doesn't look like Amazon has their listing up yet.

In comparison, currently the E6 series goes for: $2700 (55) and $4000 (65) on BestBuy.com, and I'm sure it's been cheaper than that in recent weeks.

For reference, the C7 series was posted on BestBuy.com last week. Amazon has since updated their 55 C7 post, removing the price (which was listed as $2500):
Best Buy has the LG OLED C7 up on their site, shipping March 9th for those interested.

55 inch - $3500: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5763400.p?skuId=5763400

65 inch - $5000: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5763359.p?skuId=5763359

Amazon also has the C7 listed (currently unavailable), but at $2500 for the 55 inch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZF7WCT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edit: Looks like beard beat me to the prices. Still waiting on B7 series it seems.

finalflame

Gold Member
The LG OLED E7 are now listed on Best Buy's site. Whereas the C7 had delivery listed "as soon as 3/9/17" (March 3), no delivery date is given for the E7 series.

55 inch - $4500: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5777500.p?skuId=5777500
65 inch - $6000: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...-dynamic-range-silver/5772800.p?skuId=5772800

In comparison, currently the E6 series goes for: $2700 (55) and $4000 (65) on BestBuy.com, and I'm sure it's been cheaper than that in recent weeks.

For reference, the C7 series was posted on BestBuy.com last week. Amazon has since updated their 55 C7 post, removing the price (which was listed as $2500):

edit: Looks like beard beat me to the prices. Still waiting on B7 series it seems.

Interesting. Do we know what the major differences are between B7 and C7, other than design? I guess we're expecting the B7 to also fall into the $3500 range? I thought I read previously that speculation had it at $2500 but .. meh.

$3500 is a tad steep if the main difference between the B6 and B7 is only 25% brighter peak brightness for the 10%/25% windows, and support for HLG/Technicolor, both of which don't have much (any?) adoption yet. And probably a slightly faster SoC.

Interesting. Do we know what the major differences are between B7 and C7, other than design? I guess we're expecting the B7 to also fall into the $3500 range? I thought I read previously that speculation had it at $2500 but .. meh.

$3500 is a tad steep if the main difference between the B6 and B7 is only 25% brighter peak brightness for the 10%/25% windows, and support for HLG/Technicolor, both of which don't have much (any?) adoption yet. And probably a slightly faster SoC.

As far as I know, the only difference between the B7 and C7 is the stand, as well as the "other inputs"

B7: 3 USB, 1 RF In (Antenna/Cable), 1 Composite In, Component In (Shared w/ Composite), 1 Ethernet, 1 Optical, 1 RS232C (Mini Jack)

C7: 3 USB, 1 RF In (Antenna/Cable), 1 Composite In, 1 Component In, 1 Ethernet, 1 Optical, 1 RS232C (Mini Jack)

Source: LG's Website

posted in that $250 tv thread but I'll post here too

so I've got a question if anyone has any advice

I checked on craiglist and saw someone selling a 58" Samsung plasma tv for $400. I think it's the PN58B550 model. does anyone know anything about these and if this would be a good tv to pick up? I researched a bit online and it seems like these models can be hit or miss and that the buzzing can vary. also how viable is a plasma tv if the room it'll be in will get some natural light during the morning and afternoon? all the shades and everything will be closed but the light does get through.

thanks

I can't comment on the quality of the TV, but just wanted to check if you realize that this is an almost 7 year old set? At least if it's the same Samsung B series as here in Europe.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I knew that price on Amazon couldn't be right.
I guess it was a deal if you bought one at that price.

Amazon does have the 65 G7 up though:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5UPS0A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom